Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue06

Myles, I don't think we can read too much into this match.  It appears(judging by team selection and subs used) they were half preparing for the Junior championship match against Longford  this week(Wed).  Now, whether this is the right way to go about things is another question. 
Anyway best of luck to Boojangles and the team this week.

North Longford

Quoteno game plan from cavan just hoofing aimless balls into our full forward line
That was the bit that was very noticeable in the Longford challenge as well. Pierson was full forward and Longford had a lad playing his first game at full back who is actually a midfielder for his club. So you could imagine the success Pierson had with these skyscrapers coming down at him. Was really surprised at the way cavan played the ball particularly as they wouldn't have the biggest forwards in the world.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Blue06 on May 23, 2011, 11:10:50 PM
Myles, I don't think we can read too much into this match.  It appears(judging by team selection and subs used) they were half preparing for the Junior championship match against Longford  this week(Wed).  Now, whether this is the right way to go about things is another question. 
Anyway best of luck to Boojangles and the team this week.

I know what you are saying but what worries me is the fact that we seem to be using huge numbers of players now when it should have been in the McKenna cup we did this. There are lads on the team in these games who never got a run with Cavan, Cillian O Reilly is one from my own club. These guys appear on the team, vanish and then reappear a few weeks later. Gaynor was there now hes gone, same with Pierson. 3 weeks before the Donegal team you'd think we'd be close to getting a settled team but it appears more like we are calling to lads houses to get them to go along and make up the numbers. I hope I am wrong.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

PhilsJemmysField

This stuff again for this weekend, this whole playing league matches during the week is tough going on the Dublin lads. Hope we get the right result against Donegal

The Cavan Senior Team Management has requested that the county players would not play with their clubs this weekend due to their training schedule.

Therefore ONLY THE CLUBS with county players have the option of playing the match without county players or postponing the match until Wednesday 15th June 2011. 

All Reserve Games go ahead along with games that don't involve county players.

Please let me know by email, text or phone by Wednesday at 6pm so I can send out a revised fixture list for the weekend.

Apology for the short notice and the inconvenience.

Denn Forever

From Hoganstand.

How many of those who played today will be eligible in the next Junior game?  3 or 4 of them will be pushing for a place on the senior team.

Breifne_Blue
County: Cavan

940336  Cavan 1.12
Longford 2.06

A OMara.
T Hyland.P Carroll J McEnroe.
S Jordan.F Flanagan.M Brady.
E King. Cullivan.
N Murray. Lyng. Fannin.
McKiernan. J Reilly. AReilly. 
means what he says...

Ollie

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 25, 2011, 10:37:51 PM
From Hoganstand.

How many of those who played today will be eligible in the next Junior game?  3 or 4 of them will be pushing for a place on the senior team.

Breifne_Blue

940336  Cavan 1.12
Longford 2.06

A OMara.
E King. Cullivan.
N Murray. Lyng. Fannin.

Interesting team. Would have liked to see a few more u21s on it such as Kevin Meehan, Jack Brady, Niall Smith & Niall McDerrmott. I don't see the point in playing Terry Hyland or Jason Reilly as neither have a future in playing for Cavan and senior level again.
Enda King should have been given a run-out during the league IMO but seemingly didnt. Don't see how a junior game is any benefit to him now.
Still Though it was a good result. It's great seeing Lyng back playing regular football. The man still has a lot to offer. The more game time he gets before Donegal the better. Same can be said for Cullivan and Fannin.   

Denn Forever

Are we gong to do a Gerethy with Jason O'Reilly?  Larry Reilly is playing well for Knockbride.

| More Leinster JFC: Cavan edge into semis

Ray Cullivan lets the ball off for Cavan as Longford defender Michael Victory tries to stop him in his tracks during the Leinster Junior Football Championship Quarter-Final at Pearse Park.
26 May 2011

Cavan 1-12
Longford 2-6

Cavan booked their place into the last four of the Leinster Junior Football Championship last night with victory over neighbours Longford at Pearse Park.

Cavan, who reached the final of this competition last year, found the better start in the opening exchanges and drew first blood when they bagged their only goal inside the first six minutes. A delightful ball played in by playmaker Michael Lyng was seized upon by Jason O'Reilly and the veteran forward made no mistake in placing his shot to the top corner of the Longford net.

The goal stunned the home side somewhat and delayed them settling into the game, but by the closing stages of the half they had moved into the lead thanks to an Enda Ledwith goal and two frees from marksman James Noonan.

Longford were handed the perfect start to the second-half, when a poor kick-out from Cavan goalkeeper Alan O'Mara fell to Mark McDonnell and the corner-forward was awarded the time and space to register the hosts' second goal.

The visitors responded well, however, as points from O'Reilly, Lyng and Michael Brady earned them parity. The final ten minutes proved to be thrilling stuff, with both sides sharing the lead at different phases but Cavan had the final say and three points in the closing minutes earned them the victory.

Terry Hyland's charges now face Kilkenny, who stunned Wexford with a late Michael Malone goal, in the semi-finals, while the other last four clash sees Dublin and Kildare do battle.

Cavan: Alan O'Mara; Terry Hyland, Patrick Carroll, James McEnroe; Stephen Jordan (0-1), Feargal Flanagan, Michael Brady (0-1); Ray Cullivan, Enda King; Keith Fannin (0-1), Michael Lyng (0-1), Niall Murray (0-2, 2f); Gearoid McKiernan (0-1), Jason O'Reilly (1-2), Anton O'Reilly (0-1). Subs: Brendan Fitzpatrick for E King (38 mins), Cillian Reilly for P Carroll (45 mins), Declan Meehan (0-1) for N Murray (48 mins), Ryan McCormack (0-1) for M Lyng (54 mins).

Longford: James McKenna; James Carroll, Michael Victory, Aaron Quinn; Colm P Smyth, Mark Duffy, Peter Masterson; Ger Dennigan, Johnny Kane; Enda Ledwith (0-1), James Martin (0-1), Diarmuid Cooney; Mark McDonnell (1-0), James Noonan (0-4, 4f), Ciaran Williams. Subs: Barry McKeon (0-1) for D Cooney (45 mins), James McGivney for P Masterson (54 mins).

Ref: Sean Carroll (Westmeath)
means what he says...

Giveitlong

Quote from: Ollie on May 25, 2011, 11:09:39 PM
From Hoganstand.

Breifne_Blue

940336  Cavan 1.12
Longford 2.06

A OMara.
E King. Cullivan.
N Murray. Lyng. Fannin.

Interesting team. Would have liked to see a few more u21s on it such as Kevin Meehan, Jack Brady, Niall Smith & Niall McDerrmott. I don't see the point in playing Terry Hyland or Jason Reilly as neither have a future in playing for Cavan and senior level again.
Enda King should have been given a run-out during the league IMO but seemingly didnt. Don't see how a junior game is any benefit to him now.
Still Though it was a good result. It's great seeing Lyng back playing regular football. The man still has a lot to offer. The more game time he gets before Donegal the better. Same can be said for Cullivan and Fannin.   

Funny but I disagree with you. I exactly see the point in peppering the team with a couple of older lads who might no longer harbour realistic senior intercounty ambitions. Last night featured by my reckoning 8 of this or last year's u21 county sides. By lining out a blended 15, they got to play with a number of of players with decent experience of intercounty fare (Cullivan, Fannin. Lyng), as well as a player with immense experience in Jason Reilly and also a very good match player in Enda King a player who brings others into the game, with Lyng a proven and experienced playmaker (when match fit) who can also bring players into the game (just what a young player needs). In my opinion that's definitely a good way to blood players. It's a less pressurized environment, an increased likelihood of winning (with the couple of proven and experienced players), a chance to learn from the older guys, and maybe a chance to string a few wins and gain extra confidence in their own intercounty ability.

Blue06

I read that the Juniors now play Kilkenny in the Semi Final.

I wonder would this be the first ever meeting between the counties in any GAA code?

Denn Forever

Quote from: Blue06 on May 26, 2011, 07:12:09 PM

I wonder would this be the first ever meeting between the counties in any GAA code?

Could  be but whatever happens, I hope we don't do a Sligo on it.

Where will the game be?
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 26, 2011, 07:19:49 PM
Quote from: Blue06 on May 26, 2011, 07:12:09 PM

Could  be but whatever happens, I hope we don't do a Sligo on it.

Where will the game be?

It will be away I presume. We don't get home (or neutral for that matter) venue games in Leinster.

Dougal

is this kilkennys senior team as they dont enter the championship?as all their player should be eligeble for junior
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Ollie

Quote from: Giveitlong on May 26, 2011, 06:19:37 PM
Quote from: Ollie on May 25, 2011, 11:09:39 PM
From Hoganstand.

Breifne_Blue

940336  Cavan 1.12
Longford 2.06

A OMara.
E King. Cullivan.
N Murray. Lyng. Fannin.

Funny but I disagree with you. I exactly see the point in peppering the team with a couple of older lads who might no longer harbour realistic senior intercounty ambitions. Last night featured by my reckoning 8 of this or last year's u21 county sides. By lining out a blended 15, they got to play with a number of of players with decent experience of intercounty fare (Cullivan, Fannin. Lyng), as well as a player with immense experience in Jason Reilly and also a very good match player in Enda King a player who brings others into the game, with Lyng a proven and experienced playmaker (when match fit) who can also bring players into the game (just what a young player needs). In my opinion that's definitely a good way to blood players. It's a less pressurized environment, an increased likelihood of winning (with the couple of proven and experienced players), a chance to learn from the older guys, and maybe a chance to string a few wins and gain extra confidence in their own intercounty ability.

Yeah I can see you're point. I suppose there was no point throwing a group of young lads into the deep end by themselves. In reflection it was important that we won the game hence the reason so many experienced heads were playing. If we were to win the junior Leinster championship it would be seen as another bit of progress when were reviewing the year. Also I think Jason Reilly is apart of the Management team so no surprise he was playing. I think him not been involved with the senior team has made him a little more sharper and less fatigued. He could be in fine form and a real threat in the club championship this year.   

Dougal

Jayos not playing with belturbet at the minute,and possibly wont be for the champ either.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!