Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Everyone go out and enjoy the day.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

PhilsJemmysField

Please Please Please God give us a win. Think we can do it but hope we get that bounce of the ball as well

BallyhaiseMan

Very disappointing lads,
We were cleaned out of it in the middle,although Gearoid did play some football aswell.
Marc Leddy was off after 15 minutes,Paddy King his replacement was off after 50 minutes for Niall McKiernan.
Turlough Mooney and Packie Leddy were ineffectual out around this area aswell. The backs with the exception of Barkey and Minagh were roasted,Darragh Tighe obviously carried an injury into the game and struggled badly before being replaced.
I though Niall Smith and Niall Murray played well and tried very hard.
Barry Reily was non-existant once again.
Jack Brady was starved of posession.
Niall McDermott competed well,but his lack of a right foot showed a number of times,when the defender gave him an oppertunity to come in on his right,but he continued down a blind alley.
All in all though, a very good campaign and we would have taken an All Ireland final appearance before the championship started.

Denn Forever

Beaten by a better team.  No shame in that.

Maybe if we'd played with the wind in the first half it might have been different and again it shows that goals win matches. 

Well done to all involved and Cavan Abu.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

CavanCola

I agree with you bhm on midfield. Tatics wise do people think it was a good idea to adjust the setup of the team today from the throw in to mark certain Galway players. Corner back to midfield and centre back to cornerback etc.. It's one approach but does it show a lack of confidence in a teams own ability going into a game that radical changes are required from the start based on the opposition? If you have a good team and system thats working well then why not go into a game with your system and style of play and let the opposition worry about it. If it isnt working then go to plan B. To often these days it seems like management dissect videos of the opposition and feel they need to make wholesale positional changes based on these reviews without having belief in their regular starting 15 setup.

Goals killed us in the end. For the first goal one of the umpires momentarily raised an arm during the tennis match infront of the Cavan goal.. Looked like he was going to signal a wide or a 45. The ball was stuck in the net and the goal stood. Too often umpires are very indecisive during these big matchs. They should stick to there guns when they make a decision. 

We were beaten by the better team today. Well done to Galway.

Fair play to these bunch of lads and there loyalty to Cavan football. Hope all of these guys will have jobs and be able to stick around and be involved in cavan if they so wish.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: CavanCola on May 01, 2011, 09:05:33 PM
I agree with you bhm on midfield. Tatics wise do people think it was a good idea to adjust the setup of the team today from the throw in to mark certain Galway players. Corner back to midfield and centre back to cornerback etc.. It's one approach but does it show a lack of confidence in a teams own ability going into a game that radical changes are required from the start based on the opposition? If you have a good team and system thats working well then why not go into a game with your system and style of play and let the opposition worry about it. If it isnt working then go to plan B. To often these days it seems like management dissect videos of the opposition and feel they need to make wholesale positional changes based on these reviews without having belief in their regular starting 15 setup.

Goals killed us in the end. For the first goal one of the umpires momentarily raised an arm during the tennis match infront of the Cavan goal.. Looked like he was going to signal a wide or a 45. The ball was stuck in the net and the goal stood. Too often umpires are very indecisive during these big matchs. They should stick to there guns when they make a decision.

We were beaten by the better team today. Well done to Galway.

Fair play to these bunch of lads and there loyalty to Cavan football. Hope all of these guys will have jobs and be able to stick around and be involved in cavan if they so wish.

Don't know if you were at any of the other games but Leddy has been named a 2 every game and has played around the middle with a view to stopping influential players on the opposition team. Flanagan went to corner back when Tighe went off. I don't think tactics were to blame, the best team just won. We have to accept that and work harder next time.

BallyhaiseMan

I dont know with regards to tactics what more Hyland/Forde and co could have done CC.
In fairness they tried about 5 lads around the centre field area,and none of them worked out,they made multiple switches and substitutions early on,but all to no avail.
Danny Cummins and Michael Boyle were too fast and athletic for most of our backs, today Fergal Flanagan was isolated on Cummins far too often in the second half as we chased the game,and to be fair to him,he done aswell as anyone could, defending nearly the whole half of the field 1 on 1,but he still got roasted at times,as Cummins is a livewire.
Damien Barkey on Cummins and Fergal Flanagan on the strong-running Boyle may have worked better,but then you have Mark Hehir who was outstanding and pulled the strings at centre forward.
This Galway team just had too many options for us.

mylestheslasher

The seniors played down at the official re-opening of Packie Devlin Park in Killeshandra. The Cavan team that started where.

J Reilly
McEnroe
Carroll
O Dowd
Jordan
Shieridan
D Reilly
McCutcheon
Corr
Fannin
Cullivan
Brennan
Mackey
Keating
Johnstone

Subs that came on (there were a lot so might have missed a few) were Lyng, McCormak (ballyhaise), Cillian O Reilly and Thomais Reilly (both Killeshandra), Cahill, Niall Reilly (Ballinagh), Bud Fitzpatrick, Anton Reilly

Down won 4-11 to 4-9 but Cavan were 3 pts up at half time before both teams started making loads of subs and the game got a bit messy which corresponded with Down getting on top.

Impressive for Cavan were Carroll at FB who was on a very big man and did well. McEnroe was good too marking lively laverty. Keating was good at times but mostly when he moved out to the half forward line. Johnstone did very well scoring 2-4 I think. Corr and McCutheon worked hard but didn't win a lot of primary ball. I'm getting concerned about Cullivan, for such a talented player his work rate was terrible and he looks to have lost confidence and lost mobility (too much of the weights?)

Cavan playing Longford in Gowna today in another pitch opening, not sure of the time.

Westside

Yesterday was hard to watch. Galway were a much, much better side and Cavan failed to perform in too many sectors of the field. The Galway lads at midfield fielded ball at their ease, knocked it down to their players with pinpoint accuracy and robbed every fumbled attempt at a catch by Cavan.. Gearoid looked a shadow of the player that lorded the Ulster Final. Given the amount of ball he's played in the past year I think he could be approaching burnout point. The management should have changed the kickouts but in truth it would have made little difference to the outcome. The scary thing was that Galway cut through our defence so much had they needed to they could have got a lot more goals.

Positives for Cavan on the day were Oisin Minagh who fought bravely against the tide for the hour, Niall Smith who apart from kicking a few into the goalie's hands caused lots of problems with his runs and movement. Niall McDermott was well marshalled but did cause problems in patches and will be a good option for the seniors.

Credit to the whole team for what they have given us this year and for getting us a day in Croker, great to see so much blue in Croker. All Ireland finalists is a good achievement in itself. Now let's build on this success and follow it up with the same effort from subsequent teams!

anglocelt39

Would agree with most of what Westside has had to say. Feel very sorry for a few lads that seemed to let the day pass them by, terribly disappointing after all the effort that was put in. Put it this way, if Tyrone had lined out against Galway yesterday they would not have lost by such a score, I believe. So a bit of freezing on the big day may have kicked in.

I had an interesting chat afterwards with a lad who has been to the last few games. His take on things was that we were well and truly cleaned out at midfield by a Wexford team that kicked a pile of wides in the Semi final and maybe this was an area of possible weakness that was overlooked, from what I understand we dominated Tyrone in the middle three nights previously and had them resorting to short kickouts etc. etc. Anyway thanks to everybody involved in the panel for putting a bit of pride back in the county jersey. Only a small step in the overall scheme of things but a start.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: anglocelt39 on May 02, 2011, 02:54:30 PM
Would agree with most of what Westside has had to say. Feel very sorry for a few lads that seemed to let the day pass them by, terribly disappointing after all the effort that was put in. Put it this way, if Tyrone had lined out against Galway yesterday they would not have lost by such a score, I believe. So a bit of freezing on the big day may have kicked in.

I had an interesting chat afterwards with a lad who has been to the last few games. His take on things was that we were well and truly cleaned out at midfield by a Wexford team that kicked a pile of wides in the Semi final and maybe this was an area of possible weakness that was overlooked, from what I understand we dominated Tyrone in the middle three nights previously and had them resorting to short kickouts etc. etc. Anyway thanks to everybody involved in the panel for putting a bit of pride back in the county jersey. Only a small step in the overall scheme of things but a start.

You're correct AC
We did get cleaned at midfield during extended periods of the semi final against Wexford. I like many others put that down to tired legs after the Tyrone match on the wednesday.Obviously judging by yesterday,there was more to it than that.
Marc Leddy just didnt have the physique to play midfield against those Galway duo,it would be unfair to criticise him too much,as he was sacrificed early,and 5/6 could have gone before him.
I know we have a few Lacken men on board,so heres a question with regards Niall McKiernan,he was one of the most impressive midfielders in last years senior championship by all accounts,yet got very little game-time during this campaign.
Has he been bothered by injuries???
Paddy King/Turlough Mooney etc are going to be very good players at senior level,but personally i had very high hopes in McKiernan filling the void left by Givney last year.

Westside

BH man I had a conversation with a man before the game yesterday who said a lot of people involved with the panel were at a loss as to why Niall McKiernan isn't getting a starting place.. I seem to remember before a ball was kicked everyone was certain it would be two McKiernan's at midfield. But Leddy and G did the job in Ulster so the management had to stick with them.. I assume Niall McK is underage next year yes??

Gearoid has met quality midfielders in the last two games and has not been able to compete to win primary posession, when it comes to fielding ball he is some distance behind Givney. Perhaps come championship time he would be better utilised at half forward? Or am I reading too much into the last two games...? (Not putting the boot in by the way I think he is a fantastic player and deserves huge credit for his performances this year)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on May 02, 2011, 04:08:43 PM
BH man I had a conversation with a man before the game yesterday who said a lot of people involved with the panel were at a loss as to why Niall McKiernan isn't getting a starting place.. I seem to remember before a ball was kicked everyone was certain it would be two McKiernan's at midfield. But Leddy and G did the job in Ulster so the management had to stick with them.. I assume Niall McK is underage next year yes??

Gearoid has met quality midfielders in the last two games and has not been able to compete to win primary posession, when it comes to fielding ball he is some distance behind Givney. Perhaps come championship time he would be better utilised at half forward? Or am I reading too much into the last two games...? (Not putting the boot in by the way I think he is a fantastic player and deserves huge credit for his performances this year)

I see your point westside
To be fair to Gearoid,Cavan were heaping even more pressure on him,with the placing of Marc Leddy beside him with the opposition being two tall 6'3 plus high fielding Galway men,it meant McKiernan had little support in the aerial exchanges,and it all fell down to him. For the seniors he will have Givney beside him,who will be the main man,and it may give McKiernan more scope to play his own game.
I cant remember Gearoid getting outfielded much yesterday, and whilst he didnt catch many clean(i counted only the one),the damage at centrefield was done away from him and by our half forward and half back lines inability to win breaks.
You are correct however ,he would be a very good option at wing forward,but i dont think we can afford him there.

LaurelEye

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 02, 2011, 08:59:55 AMCavan playing Longford in Gowna today in another pitch opening, not sure of the time.

Match in ScraGowna ended up a one-point win for Longford, 2-9 to 3-5; we gifted yis two goals in the last 10 minutes or so. At half-time yis were up 1-4 to 1-3 with the wind. We had an experimental enough side out.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

rodney trotter

Niall Mc kiernan missed a few trainings at the start of the season around the hastings cup, and never really got much of a look in since. He can be lazy at times towards training and that probaly cost him a place on the team. He was excellecnt with lacken last year and is a much better footballer than Mark Leddy. He is eligble again next year along with barry reilly, turloch mooney, jack brady, fergal flanagan,mickey brady,packie leddy, alan o meara. How come Maloney derham wasnt involved this year? he was very good with the u21s last year..