Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Well lads this thread has gone dead last few days.   :-[

mylestheslasher

Personally, I am depressed by the last two matches. I think we are worse than I thought we were, perhaps I was over optomistic about our overall standing in the GAA world. We were beaten well in the end by an aveage Down team (in both games if we are honest). There are a lot of big guns in the back door this yr with Div 4 teams out of the running so chances are we will get decent opposition. I can't see us going too far in the backdoor, maybe one game if we get a good home draw.

We still have the same problems we had through the league.

- No Full Back
- No Ctr Back (or No gaynor)
- One midfielder who can't run with no support
- No plan B at FF (ie. a big target man)

Add to that the following new problems...

- A significant drop in work ethic, especially in the forwards
- The dramatic slump in form of Pierson and Mckeever.
- Slow and poor decision making on the line to turn the matches.

Saying that one win in the Qualifiers could get some momentum into the team.

cavan4ever

Yeah depressing is the word alright.  What ur saying myles is that there is nothing up the middle of the pitch which should be the strongest line (bar mc cabe who has stopped things being more embarrsing) .   

anglocelt39

Myles, you might add to the litany the fact that we are still depedning on some of the 97 lads who, if the truth be known, are probably at least a year past their date (Jason and Larry). The fact that we are still depending on McCabe at midfield is an absolutely major worry as well. In the middle of all this Gaynor remains banished to the wastelands. Some lads will drop off the panel over the next seven weeks I would be pretty sure so I expect the selectors will be out watching club games with the object of bringing in some backup. If you were being very mean spirited you would say that fitness should not be a major factor since some guys who lined out the first day were clearly not fit for 70 minutes of championship football, as for disciplinary records-well if you want to be picky take a look at the half back line that started last Sunday and tell me something they share in common.

Anyway-positives-Meath, Waterford and Wickla still standing after last Sunday so the division 2b setup may not have been so bad. The management team have tried some new players to bring a bit of size to things (Crowe, Cunningham, Thomas, Mulvey etc.) and have been a bit un-lucky with un-timely injuries/suspensions to some of those lads. If we can win one game in the qualifiers and not get hockeyed next time out I won't be too un-happy.

On a slightly positive longer term note look at the Cavan Echo on-line, our under 16's are finally being pulled out of Manning Cup and Gerry Reilly Tournaments to go and compete with the Nordies. Long overdue but good to see as far as I am concerned.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

cavanmaniac

You could get depressed alright but funnily enough I don't feel too bad overall. I'm happy we've a bit of battling in the side now and firmly believe if Lyng had stayed on the field we would have beaten Down. After that, who knows what might have been but there's little point speculating. I think we'll get better under Grimley.

Minor collapse is the most depressing thing.

Promotion, beat Down and run in the qualifiers was all we wanted at start of the year and although slightly modified now obviously, I think we're still on course a for a reasonable year considering where we were starting out from. We have to realise that we're a medium-sized county population wise with virtually no relevant acheivements at underage. It can get better but we'll have to be patient and have faith that grimley over time can effect real change.

The worrying thing is of course that when Dermot does eventually finish up along with the rest of the '97 fold, will we have enough waiting to come in and replace them? IMO, Jason and Larry should be at most subs next year (this year too probably) if that at all so again this summer we're looking to draft another 4 potential first teamers. The problem positions simply have to be addressed in summer and then we simply have to hold on in Division 2 to go into championship 2008 with some greater degree of solidity and a bit of hope of progressing.

We still have good or likely to improve performers at goalkeeper, Hannon, Gunner, Flanagan, Fannin, Sean Brady, Jelly, Pierson, but the problem positions are just that...problems.

I don't see enough club football to have anuy idea who we could draft in either for qualifiers or ahead of next campaign?

Hollow Man

QuoteWe still have good or likely to improve performers at goalkeeper, Hannon, Gunner, Flanagan, Fannin, Sean Brady, Jelly, Pierson

I agree. It doesn't say much for the management though that of our seven "best" outfield players listed, three didn't start the replay, and one was hauled off after 20 minutes.

I think you're forgetting Cullivan from that list, and don't forget McKeever is still briliiant, just in bad form. Mickey Lyng is another - unbelievable talent who will definitely get back to his best when he gets more football under his belt.

From club football, it's hard to know really. Finbar Reilly for the frees?!

Cian McDermott is 21/22, midfield for Ballinagh, twice as good as Thomas in my opinion...

cavanmaniac

Yep those are of course other names to include although I think Cullivan needs more time to grow into a senior role, I think he's been pushed too far already and depended on way too early in his career.

Shame that none on the list are outstanding candidates for the 'problem' and key positions, except for Lyng at no.11 we struggle to fill 3, 6, 9, 14. Hopefully the summer will throw up a few new faces, we desperately need them.

Finbar Reilly had a few good games for Cavan alright but wasn't a flawless free taker. Probably better than what we have there at the moment though, although curiously for a Lacken man, Reilly seemed to lack a bit of guts in the 50/50 tackles for me. Lots of speed though, should be in the squad but he did himself no favours spitting the dummy last year, the hare-brained selection policy of the previous manager notwithstanding.

We should still be positive. We're only a few months and one championship tie into what will hopefully be a planned, considered and ultimately successful rebuilding programme. Time to stop thinking about winning anything in short term and build for championship 2009 as a target IMHO.

Hollow Man

Quotealthough curiously for a Lacken man, Reilly seemed to lack a bit of guts in the 50/50 tackles for me

Whoa, whoa, whoa - you're dead wrong here. Poser he may be, but he's never pulled out of a tackle when i've seen him. Saw him in a few league games for Lacken and he's a hardy bit of stuff.

I agree by the way that he burnt his bridges - just threw it out there for a response!

If you were picking a couple who "pull out" on the Cavan panel, a couple more names would come to mind, such as our import from Fermanagh and the Drung duo (this may not be popular but James is a bit yellow, gets away with it but he'll be caught I fear).

Paul Brady, Sean Brady, Larry, McCabe, Flanagan would be the hardiest in my opinion.Jason went into a 40-60 against Down and BURST a fella fairly!

cavan4ever

right so we get rid of miller and who exactly is going to go into goals?

i suppose ud put finbar reilly in he mightn't b a  goal keeper but he's not yellow

Hollow Man

I wouldn't get rid of him, he's a brilliant shot stopper, magnificent under a high ball and outstanding kickout.

However, if there's a 50/50 ball bouncing between him and a forward he tends to hang on his line too long or take "short steps". You never see him cleaning "man, ball and all" - in the way that hearty, McVeigh etc can -  do you?

Nothing personal whatsoever, this is just something I've noticed. As far back as 2004 against Mayo he pulled out of a ball and I think it was Forde or someone who managed to get abck and clear off the line, which is something that happens an awful lot.

Still, the other aspects of his game are good enough to make him outstanding.

cavan4ever

i actullay read ur orignial post wrong and would agree with all u say  :P

Davitt Man

Whats happened kingscourt this year, 1 win and 4 defeats? Bad form so far?

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Hollow Man on May 25, 2007, 03:03:35 PM
Quotealthough curiously for a Lacken man, Reilly seemed to lack a bit of guts in the 50/50 tackles for me

Whoa, whoa, whoa - you're dead wrong here. Poser he may be, but he's never pulled out of a tackle when i've seen him. Saw him in a few league games for Lacken and he's a hardy bit of stuff.

Yeah, but then again even Ronan Carolan used to throw his weight about for Cuchulainns and then be meek as a lamb with the county. I clearly recall Reilly slowing the pace when going into a few 50/50s when playing for Cavan in recent years, and on one occasion, Coleman shouting him out and clenching his fist and telling him to quit the pussy-footing about.

Hollow Man

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it. Didn't ever notice it myself in Reilly, but I can well imagine Coleman wouldnt be long spotting it if one of the Cavan players pulled out...

Hollow Man

Speaking of Cavan Echo, here's an interesting "The Bottom Line" column this week

http://www.cavanecho.com/pdf/pages/cav028.pdf