Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

club_man

2 Ulster U-21 finals in a row, looking good on this front at least..Be great to get an Ulster Championship at this level

mylestheslasher

Well done to the U21's, super victory.

boojangles

Well done to all involved. Great battling performance.

Denn Forever

What was the score?  On Aertel it seemed like we won well.  Any eye witness reports?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

From the indo

Reilly on song in Cavan victory
Cavan 0-12
Donegal 1-4
Cavan football received a timely pick-me-up at Brewster Park, Enniskillen, when their U-21s booked a place in the provincial decider for the second successive year.

Cavan weren't at all flattered by their 0-6 to 1-1 interval lead against the side that beat them in the 2010 final, Donegal's goal coming from Dermot Molloy.

Jack Brady fired over for Cavan immediately after the restart and man-of-the-match Barry Reilly added a brace of points to leave Cavan 0-9 to 1-1 in front.

Donegal ended a 22-minute barren period when Molloy's free cut the lead to four points.

They threw everything forward in the dying minutes, but a fine save by Alan O'Mara from Seamus Corcoran helped secure Cavan's place in the final.

SCORERS -- Cavan: B Reilly 0-5 (4f), J Brady, N McDermott 0-2 each, G McKiernan, N Smith, P Leddy 0-1 each. Donegal: M McHugh 0-2 (2f), D Molloy 1-1 (1f), R McErlean 0-1.

CAVAN -- A O'Mara: M Leddy, O Minagh, D Tighe; K Meehan, D Barkey, M Brady; G McKiernan, F Flanagan; N Smith, C McClarey, B Reilly; J Brady, N McDermott, P Leddy. Subs: S Tierney for McClarey (42), N McKiernan for Leddy (45), N Murray for Flanagan (53), S Nolan for Brady (59), S Gray for Tighe (61).

DONEGAL -- P Boyle; D Curran, E Doherty, T McKinley; S Kennedy, L Keeney, C McGinley; C Classon, A McFadden; M McHugh, D Molloy, D McLoughlin; K McFadden, R McErlean, P McBrearty. Subs: K Ward for Curran (h-t), P McNeilis for McGinley (h-t), O McNiallais for Keeney (35), S Corcoran for McFadden (35), A Kelly for Kennedy (53).

Ref -- M McErlene (Derry)

boojangles

Donegal played their now regular tactic of 12 men behind the ball which for the first 10-15 mins we found it hard to break down. When we started to run at them and get the final ball right we were by far the better team. A poxy enough goal kept them in it in the 1st half.
It was a great all-round team performance with everybody tackling hard and supporting the man on the ball.
Kevin Meehan had a free role (as his man was continually dropping back) but he played it brilliantly. Very rarely gave the ball away and continually helped start attacks by taking on men when needed.
Big Gearoid in the middle was outstanding and his breaking of ball was very intelligent. Was a real leader last night as you would expect.
Up front Donegal couldn't handle Niall Mc Dermott or Barry Reilly and they continually posed a threat.
Thats not taking away from the rest of the lads who put in an hours hard work. They all showed balls and pride in the jersey and thats all that we can ask for.
If there was a negative from the night it would have to be that Donegal were very poor and probably threw in the towel with 5 mins to go. Whoever we meet in the final will pose a much greater threat, thats for sure.

Dougal

Great perfomance from the u21s on wed evening.very impressed with most of the same players as booj,but one that really impressed me was packie leddy.ive seen him a good few times before and never really stood out,but i thought he was brilliant on wednesday.it would be a great boost if we could go on and win ulster now.

League starting this weekend,are we all confident our clubs will do well this year?i think we should stay up this year,hopefully mid table or better,but we need to get off to a good start like previous years.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

rodney trotter

Yeah it would be a great boost if the u21 go and win Ulster Final now. They were unlucky last year in the final so hopefully they can go one better this time. I'm surprised kevin tierney is not involved he didnt even make the match squad for the last 2 games,sitting in the stand. He played very well last year with ballyhaise,maybe the competions for places is tough if he cant make the bench either.

Dougal

Quote from: rodney trotter on March 25, 2011, 08:54:33 PM
Yeah it would be a great boost if the u21 go and win Ulster Final now. They were unlucky last year in the final so hopefully they can go one better this time. I'm surprised kevin tierney is not involved he didnt even make the match squad for the last 2 games,sitting in the stand. He played very well last year with ballyhaise,maybe the competions for places is tough if he cant make the bench either.

i keep forgetting to ask where tierney is,havent seen him playing for 2 years now but he was very good back then.

i see the ulster final is fixed for the 13th,3 days before the AI semis,was there not uproar about this 2 or three years ago.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

boojangles

I believe that Kevin Tierney is only coming back from injury. He would be a massive addition to that forward line if he is fully fit. Hopefully we might see him for the Ulster Final. I'm sure BH Man could fill us in for sure.

mylestheslasher

If the ai semi is only 3 days after the ulster final then that is a disgrace. So much for looking after burnout in young players.

Denn Forever

The only downside to only 3 days between Ulster final and AI semi is that there will be limited recovery time if anyone picks up an injury in the final.

I would say that it is best to finish off as quick as possible so there is no conflict with College exams.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 26, 2011, 11:22:10 AM
The only downside to only 3 days between Ulster final and AI semi is that there will be limited recovery time if anyone picks up an injury in the final.

I would say that it is best to finish off as quick as possible so there is no conflict with College exams.

See Myles previous post.

If Down or Tyrone get through it is worse for them though as they would be going at it for 5 weeks.

mylestheslasher

The year Down beat us in the minor semi replay a couple of years ago in Crossmaglen they were made play the ulster fnal a few days later and were beaten by a team not nearly as good as them. Down had a back door that year and went on to hammer all around them on the way to winning it out. The point is they obviously suffered mentally and physically in the semi which meant they couldn't be right for the final. There is no back door in the U21's!

anglocelt39

Of course this scheduling problem has arisen because of the fact that Down and Tyrone have drawn twice and are being given a week between each match with the winners next week , assuming there is one, with a week to prepare for Monaghan. I'd agree with Myles, Ulster winners will be at a physical and mental disadvantage three days later and could be sitting ducks.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds