Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Dougal on March 20, 2011, 05:06:50 PM
Quote from: put-it-up-again on March 20, 2011, 04:26:48 PM
Quote from: Dougal on March 20, 2011, 04:19:20 PM
were heading for division 4 by the looks of things,which i think is better than just about staying in div3,at least in division 4 we should be fit to bring in some young players and show them how to win a few games.we've managed 1 away win in 2 seasons,thats terrible.cant see myself traveling to support the seniors for the rest of the season.

So you only go when things are going well? That's the spirit  ;D

Had a quick look at the league table and I think it currently stands like this. Be warned - Not pretty reading.

Tipp and Louth the play at home.

1   WEXFORD      5   8
2   LOUTH      5   6
3   OFFALY      5   6
4   WESTMEATH   5   5
5   LIMERICK           5   5           
6   WATERFORD   5   4
7   TIPPERARY      5   4
8   CAVAN      5   3

not really,il still go to the home games,just cant see myself going to the likes of cork again this year.things aint been going well in my short time of supporting cavan anyway  ;)

cogito - i wouldnt go as far as to say that,but there are a few backs there today that i would rate as being just about as good as some of the u21s.the full back line from the u21s would be as good as damien reilly and o dowd

Put-it-up-again, the fact is most people just can't afford to go on the away trips anymore. Look how many of us are on here talking about today's game - none of us were at it, including yourself obviously. For two people to go down to Wexford today for the game it would of cost the guts of 80-100e anyway.

I see people on about the u21's and that does concern me. Realistically, if they lose on Wednesday (and i hope they don't because I really think we need a crop like in Roscommon to make a breakthrough and boost morale etc) but how many would start for the senior team in their next game? I personally don't see them as our saviours in the immediate future because being honest I think about 3 of them would start. So far they beat Fermanagh and made hard work of it at that.

We need to get something together asap though or we will be travelling to London etc next year....

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: tommysmith on March 20, 2011, 05:15:54 PM
Johnston is the only one from that full-forward line up to IC level aswell BHman.

In my opinion Mickey Brennan is a much better option out the field,where he can use his mobility and ball carrying ability. I dont believe hes a natural forward as he works better coming onto the ball and not with his back to goal.
It might be a bit premature to write off Bud Fitz,do you not think Tommy???

put-it-up-again

Johnston is the only one from that full-forward line up to IC level aswell BHman.

Yeah if your Jack O'Connor picking his  team. Do you honestly think that Nesty and Flanagan wouldn't get playing in any other counties?

tommysmith

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 20, 2011, 05:20:16 PM

In my opinion Mickey Brennan is a much better option out the field,where he can use his mobility and ball carrying ability. I dont believe hes a natural forward.

Well Brennan sure would offer more out the field.

Im not sure about him i think he is another who isnt physical enough for this level.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up-again on March 20, 2011, 05:21:38 PM

Yeah if your Jack O'Connor picking his  team. Do you honestly think that Nesty and Flanagan wouldn't get playing in any other counties?

Flanagan didnt perform at all well last year PIU,in league or championship.
Anytime ive seen him this year aswell, he hasnt been impressive.
Hes a good footballer,but perhaps his versatility has worked against him,as he yo-yos between the forwards and backs and doesnt have a settled position.

tommysmith

Were they listed in full forward line?

I will answer it for you, they were not.

put-it-up-again

Quote from: tommysmith on March 20, 2011, 05:25:21 PM

Were they listed in full forward line?

I will answer it for you, they were not.

My bad Tommy, apologies ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: tommysmith on March 20, 2011, 05:23:39 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 20, 2011, 05:20:16 PM

In my opinion Mickey Brennan is a much better option out the field,where he can use his mobility and ball carrying ability. I dont believe hes a natural forward.

Well Brennan sure would offer more out the field.

Im not sure about him i think he is another who isnt physical enough for this level.

You may be right tommy,We have far too many players in all sectors of the field that are not near physical enough for IC Level.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on March 20, 2011, 05:18:21 PM
We need to get something together asap though or we will be travelling to London etc next year....

With our luck we would get them at home....
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 20, 2011, 06:21:23 PM

knowing some of our players and their propensity to drink,maybe the weekends away would be something we could do without.  ;)

Western Blue

At the start of the League I didn't think we get any points out our visit to Nowlan Park,Wexford.We have 2 home games against Tipperary and Louth coming up which we must treat as 2 championship matches. Get 4points we will stay up.
Today we fought back again from 7 points down to loose by 2 . I think we will get 2 big performances to finish of the league.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 20, 2011, 06:29:56 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on March 20, 2011, 06:21:23 PM

knowing some of our players and their propensity to drink,maybe the weekends away would be something we could do without.  ;)

Never mind them, I could do with a weekend away in London next year.... and in a prefect world, it would be on the same weekend as Ireland v England in the Six Nations!!

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though... Not sure how relegation could be seen as a good thing.  If one's argument is to blood this and last year's Under 21s then surely it would be just as "easy" to blood them in Division 3??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Western Blue on March 20, 2011, 06:38:44 PM
At the start of the League I didn't think we get any points out our visit to Nowlan Park,Wexford.We have 2 home games against Tipperary and Louth coming up which we must treat as 2 championship matches. Get 4points we will stay up.
Today we fought back again from 7 points down to loose by 2 . I think we will get 2 big performances to finish of the league.

To be fair WB
According to South Eastern FM,
Wexford dominated the game throughout,and only a slack Johnson goal,due to a mishap by a defender brought Cavan back into contention,up to this it was 1-10 to 0-06.
The 2nd goal came on virtually the last kick of the ball.
I dont think any positives can be taken from this game, a 2 point loss flatters us to an unbelieveable degree.
In two away games against Wexford and Offaly, we have been completely manhandled,which is just not good enough.

cogito

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 20, 2011, 06:45:22 PM
Quote from: Western Blue on March 20, 2011, 06:38:44 PM

To be fair WB
According to South Eastern FM,
Wexford dominated the game throughout,and only a slack Johnson goal,due to a mishap by a defender brought Cavan back into contention,up to this it was 1-10 to 0-06.
The 2nd goal came on virtually the last kick of the ball.
I dont think any positives can be taken from this game, a 2 point loss flatters us to an unbelieveable degree.
In two away games against Wexford and Offaly, we have been completely manhandled,which is just not good enough.

Would agree with that entirely. Cavan should have been bet out the gate and the defence needs to be tightened up alot.

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 20, 2011, 04:54:06 PM

Oisin Minagh
Darragh Tighe
Damien Barkey

are much better than some of those Cavan backs whom started today
Id certainly have all 3 starting in front of Dane O Dowd,McKeever and Damien Reily.
Its also a case of not playing them in their correct positions.
Alan Clarke is a wing back or centre back,NOT a corner back.

Don't be losing the run of yourselves now. While some of the lads named may not be up to IC standard you definitely cannot say the U-21s named are either. Tighe and Barkey are great corner backs but are very small and are not near developed enough yet for Senior IC level. A few skinnings does nobodys confidence any good.
The jury is stil out on Oisin Minagh IMO. Has the physique for Senior level but not sure about other aspects of his game.
Damien Reilly could still make it. Its his first year on the panel and he is still learning. He does the simple things well and is comfortable on the ball. I seen him numerous times last year and at least he stood out playing for his club. The same cannot be said for other panel members.
Mark Mc Keever is struggling for consistency I think but he is still our best option at Wing -Half back when playing well.
Maybe Division 4 is just our level and it could be as well to let our best young players develop there next year.
BH Man I agree with you about Micky Brennan. At times I have seen him play at Full-Forward and he can look untouchable and thats not just playing with Drumalee but its obvious we are struggling around the middle. I think we could do with his athleticism and direct running out there at the minute.