Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on March 14, 2011, 12:22:29 AM
Listening to the Limerick coverage of the game today it seemed that every time they ran at our defence we were in danger of giving up a goal.. We have 6 good players that are more suited to the wing back positions.. Hopefully the Minor and U-21's can concentrate on developing some full back line players and we won't have to continue the trend of having a host of wing backs and no corner backs.. There was a lad from Killeshandra playing for the U-21s last year at corner back and he was very good, even in the final.. Where is he now?

The defence needs shoring up though and while I was always glad that Cavan never resorted to playing a sweeper like the rest of Ulster, perhaps it's the only way we could tighten things up..

Cogito surely Nesty and Cullivan would be included as two of our better p

layers?

Daragh Tighe and an excellent player. Def worth a try but he is a small lad unfortunately maybe too small for county football.

Westside

Tighe, that's the lad I'm thinking of. I wouldn't be overly concerned with height if he was a natural corner back.. Look at Sligo's corner backs who got heaps of praise last year. Where does he play for Killeshandra?
AG39 makes a good point, we develop lots of decent forwards but no natural defenders. Very strange for a County whose greatest heroes were defenders, JJ Reilly, Gabriel Kelly, Ollie Brady etc..

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Westside on March 14, 2011, 07:50:48 PM
Tighe, that's the lad I'm thinking of. I wouldn't be overly concerned with height if he was a natural corner back.. Look at Sligo's corner backs who got heaps of praise last year. Where does he play for Killeshandra?
AG39 makes a good point, we develop lots of decent forwards but no natural defenders. Very strange for a County whose greatest heroes were defenders, JJ Reilly, Gabriel Kelly, Ollie Brady etc..

Haven't seen Killeshandra much these days but fairly sure he is playing wing back for them but he is a really tight sticky corner back.

mylestheslasher

Report from the indo, check out the player ratings...

Pa Ranahan's late goal secured Limerick their first win of the campaign.

Backed by a strong breeze Limerick led by 0-10 to 0-5 at the break, but two points by former Dublin All-Ireland U-21 winner Gareth Smith reduced the gap.

But Limerick responded with a goal on 46 minutes when Shannon rugby player Stephen Kelly raced past four defenders and slammed the ball home.

With five minutes to go Cavan drew level, but Ger Collins' free edged Limerick back in front and then, after Cavan's Stephen Jordan had been sent off for a second yellow card, James Kelly's lay-off set Ranahan surging clear for his decisive goal.

Man of the Match: Ger Collins

Scorers -- Limerick: G Collins 0-5 (5f), I Ryan 0-4 (1f), P Ranahan, S Kelly 1-0 each, M Sheehan, E O'Connor, S Buckley, J Cooke, J Mullane 0-1 each. Cavan: G Smith (1f, 1'65'), S Johnston (3f) 0-3 each, M Cahill, C Mackey, E Keating 0-2 each, J McCutcheon, R Cullivan, D Givney 0-1 each.

Limerick -- B Scanlon 5; M Riordan 6, S Gallagher, 5, L O'Dwyer 4; J Riordan,5, J McCarthy 5, P Ranahan 6; T Lee 5, J Galvin 7; E O'Connor 5, S Kelly 6, S Buckley 5; G Collins 7, J Mullane 4, I Ryan 7. Subs: M Sheehan 7 for O'Dwyer (7); J Cooke 6 for O'Connor (61), E Hogan 6 for Mullane (55).

Cavan -- J Reilly 5; A Clarke 5, D Sheridan 4, S Jordan 6; M McKeever 5, J McCutcheon 6, M Cahill 6; R Cullivan 4, P O'Reilly 5; R Flanagan 5,G Smith 6, K Fannin 5; C Mackey 6, M Brennan 5, S Johnston 5. Subs: D Dowd 6 for Clarke (31), E Keating 5 for Fannin (h-t), D Givney 4 for Brennan (h-t), M Lyng 6 for McKeever (56).

Ref -- M Collins (Cork)

Dougal

Quote from: Westside on March 14, 2011, 07:50:48 PM

tighe was injured for all of the ulster league,not sure if he'll play any part in the u21 match either.always plays in the corner,great reader of a game.very small for intercounty but would be worth taking a look at.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Denn Forever

Jesus, are we back to the too small for county football b&&llox.

Ogie Moran, Peter Canavan, Martin and James McHugh, Tony Scullion (well he didn't look too tall),James McCartin
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: cogito on March 14, 2011, 12:19:17 AM
I've seen two of Cavan's game this year including today's and I have to say I would be worried. Promotion is gone now and its all about consolidationg.

For the remainder of the league, If I was Andrews, I work off this spine and see what he can find to complement it. Cavan should have won today and they should have beaten Westmeath. If small things are sorted out, the team really isn't that bad.

James Reilly
?                            ?                        ?

McKeever          McCutcheon              ?
           Reilly      McKiernan

Flanagan               ?                          ?
Johnston             Givney             Pearson

Interesting comment Cogito. I presume you are a Cavan man or perhaps have a Cavan wife (god help ya) if you know that much about a struggling team in Division Three?

The spine of the team I would pick would be fairly similar. What I would like to see done, depending on how this u21 team does this week is fill up a few of the question marks with a few from that team. Just to bring some freshness into the team. Some of the current bunch I have really given up on.

Away from all that jazz how are all your clubs shaping up. My own spot ran a 'Take me Out' night there on Saturday. Jaysus, I haven had as good a laugh in a while. Absolutely brilliant night

anglocelt39

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 14, 2011, 11:43:51 PM

Ogie Moran, Peter Canavan, Martin and James McHugh, Tony Scullion (well he didn't look too tall),James McCartin

Think the problem we have is that we have a team of below average size lads and I can't think of ANYBODY on the current panel you would consider to be an enforcer (Ogie Moran was no dwarf and he had the likes of Jacko and Bomber to provide the heft and win the ball). If there are lads of any size about the county with half the ability of the names you mention get them into the starting 15 straight away.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Dougal

Anyone hear a team for tonights game?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

angellady

Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 15, 2011, 11:02:46 PM

Think the problem we have is that we have a team of below average size lads and I can't think of ANYBODY on the current panel you would consider to be an enforcer (Ogie Moran was no dwarf and he had the likes of Jacko and Bomber to provide the heft and win the ball). If there are lads of any size about the county with half the ability of the names you mention get them into the starting 15 straight away.

here we go with the innovative 'bigger men argument' yet again. very insightful angloceltman!!!

tommysmith

Quote from: angellady on March 16, 2011, 02:52:59 PM
Quote from: anglocelt39 on March 15, 2011, 11:02:46 PM

here we go with the innovative 'bigger men argument' yet again. very insightful angloceltman!!!

He does have a point.

Is Tomas Corr injured he doesn't seem to have featured in the last couple of games.  I would have him in the half forward line.

Denn Forever

GAA Presidential award winner.  Some consolation for the defeat tonight.
Well done John Joe.

Ladies Football
John Joe Brady, Mullahoran, Cavan
John Joe Brady's association with Ladies Football goes back to 1976 and he has held practically all the positions of administration and management of football teams.  John Joe was the first Chairman of the Mullahoran Club in the years 1975 and 1982 and from 1995 to '99. He helped bring the Mullahoran Ladies to the top of the ladder in 1977 when they won the first ever All-Ireland Club final. 

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Was up in Brewster today for the U21 game. Good win by 6 points. We were very good in the 1st half and were 10 pts up at half time. Niall McDermott excellent at FF and Barry Reilly put in some fabulous ball. Fermanagh put on a sweeper in 2nd half and Cavan totally lost their way. The fast ball was replaced by slow lateral hand passing but we were never in danger of losing. Suprised that management didn't have a plan for the inevitable sweeper in the 2nd half. On the negative Fermanagh missed 5 scorable frees and 2 good goal chances. Gearoid Keirnan very poor in midfield. Keepers kicks poor in 2nd half and management needs to have a plan. But a win is a win but improvements will be needed next day.

btw - Referee was abysmal. Ruined the game and gave Fermanagh soft free after soft free. He wouldn't allow any advantage. Darragh Tighe got a tick, a yellow and another tick and didn't commit a foul for any. They had to sub him at half time before this fool sent him off. Where does the GAA get these eejits from?

Westside

Number 15 was class for us too tonight I thought, Packie Leddy is it? Gearoid had a poor evening allright.. He's injured though I think. But he'll need a bigger performance if Cavan want to progress. Cavan made awful hard work if it, were never in real danger but lost their way completely. Some fantastic football in patches, Barry Reilly sprayed around some excellent passes, the most intelligent player on the field by a distance.

I think this Cavan defense is too weak to win Ulster.. Fermanagh got through far too easily for their goal and O'Mara made two fine saves. A better team could open them up.

Agree with myles about the ref he did all in his power to disrupt this game, some baffling yellow cards handed out, to both sides it has to be said! No consistency at all, absolutely terrible..

Donegal in the next round. Prepare for a packed defense and a tight game. Cavan had no plan for it last year I sincerely hope there will be one this year.

Breffni_Yank

Got down to the game myself tonight and must say it was fairly enjoyable. Am i wrong or was there a decent oul Cavan contingent in the stand? That first half performance was as good as I have seen from any Cavan team in a few years. McDermott was unmarkable and they have a few clever footballers in there - especially Reilly. He has the makings of a serious player. I thought McKiernan did rightly and he still got up to kick a few points.

The second half was pretty desperate though and it was like they completely collapsed. On another night it could have been different and Fermanagh definetly should of had at least one more goal. I don't know how O'Meara pushed that first one onto the bar but his kicks were much poorer in the second half and that didn't help to relieve any pressure on the backs.

If one sweeper caused so much bother tonight you would be worried about how they will react to Donegal next week. All feedback from lads around me during the game said they play a swarm defense. Is that safe to presume?