Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMac

Anyone who knows Stephen Jordan will know that he is not a dirty player. His sending off against Tyrone was very harsh, as the video on this, a few pages back will show. I said before that Stephen is not a corner back and that I hoped they weren't doing the same thing with him as they did with Keith Fannin. Just sticking him in there because he is a good footballer, but not a corner back. As Boo says he usually plays midfield or half forward for Lavey, although that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to tackle. Anyone at the game, was it a straight red, two yellows and did he deserve it?
That puts promotion out the window and now a fight to stay up. At the minute we are the worst ambassadors for senior male gaelic games (bar Paul Brady and a few other handballers), with our hurlers rooted to the bottom of division 4 on -79 scoring difference from 3 games, and a huge possibility now our footballers could be joining them in the division 4.

Ollie

Quote from: BigMac on March 13, 2011, 04:12:51 PM
Anyone who knows Stephen Jordan will know that he is not a dirty player. His sending off against Tyrone was very harsh, as the video on this, a few pages back will show. I said before that Stephen is not a corner back and that I hoped they weren't doing the same thing with him as they did with Keith Fannin. Just sticking him in there because he is a good footballer, but not a corner back. As Boo says he usually plays midfield or half forward for Lavey, although that doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to tackle. Anyone at the game, was it a straight red, two yellows and did he deserve it?
That puts promotion out the window and now a fight to stay up. At the minute we are the worst ambassadors for senior male gaelic games (bar Paul Brady and a few other handballers), with our hurlers rooted to the bottom of division 4 on -79 scoring difference from 3 games, and a huge possibility now our footballers could be joining them in the division 4.

It was two yellows BigMac.. Hopefully the U21s can enjoy a bit more success than the seniors.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BigMac on March 13, 2011, 04:12:51 PM

I wouldn't even mention our hurlers in the same breath as our footballers... Following cavan football can be frustrating and painful at times but the Hurlers's results are disgraceful and an embarrassment
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Breffni_Yank

I wasn't down in Limerick but heard a few snippets on the radio and was talking to someone in the pub there who was at it. Another case of getting close but not sealing the deal I gather.

I dunno, you would really have to ask the question are this team learning anything at all? How many times has this happened now?

We still have no full-back and neither of our corner-backs are actual corner-backs at all with their clubs. It really does make you wonder sometimes......

BallyhaiseMan

Alan Clarke- the stand-out Centre Back in last years club championships,being played at cornerback???

Stephen Jordan-whom at least to my knowledge has never played in the full back line for Lavey,yet is played at cornerback at IC level.

Two ridiculous selection decisions on behalf of the management.

mylestheslasher

Lads, we are going to have to give this team and management time. Maybe they are trying lads out of position cos they are struggling to find talent. I'd also say there are a fair few county corner backs playing more central roles with their clubs so not that unusual. Biggest mistake they made was making Johnston captain. He is no leader imo.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 13, 2011, 10:41:50 PM
Alan Clarke- the stand-out Centre Back in last years club championships,being played at cornerback???

Stephen Jordan-whom at least to my knowledge has never played in the full back line for Lavey,yet is played at cornerback at IC level.

Two ridiculous selection decisions on behalf of the management.

I'm sure there are loads of corner-backs in the country who play more central roles with their clubs but for me, it's about finding a player with good enough raw attributes who can be polished off to make a good corner-back. Like Clarke doesn't have the change of pace needed in the corner. I would much rather see him in a half-back line. I don't know a whole pile about Jordan to be honest but I gather he is more of a ball player than a nuisance defender. Would that be correct?

The captain thing was mentioned on here before. I think one of the real problems with the current crop is there are no real leaders at all. McCutcheon or Clarke would have been my choice but at the same time are either of them guaranteed their game come championship?

BigMac

I think you are spot on there Yank. Jordan is very good with the ball in his hand, perfectly both footed, and a good energy, but whether he is the sticky, annoying corner back type, like his brother Joey is, I'm not so sure. I think he has the "raw attributes", but I can really see a Keith Fannin thing here, where we wasted one of our better attacking players in the corner just because they had the "raw attributes".

cogito

I've seen two of Cavan's game this year including today's and I have to say I would be worried. Promotion is gone now and its all about consolidationg.

For the remainder of the league, If I was Andrews, I work off this spine and see what he can find to complement it. Cavan should have won today and they should have beaten Westmeath. If small things are sorted out, the team really isn't that bad.

James Reilly
?                            ?                        ?

McKeever          McCutcheon              ?
           Reilly      McKiernan

Flanagan               ?                          ?
Johnston             Givney             Pearson

Westside

Listening to the Limerick coverage of the game today it seemed that every time they ran at our defence we were in danger of giving up a goal.. We have 6 good players that are more suited to the wing back positions.. Hopefully the Minor and U-21's can concentrate on developing some full back line players and we won't have to continue the trend of having a host of wing backs and no corner backs.. There was a lad from Killeshandra playing for the U-21s last year at corner back and he was very good, even in the final.. Where is he now?

The defence needs shoring up though and while I was always glad that Cavan never resorted to playing a sweeper like the rest of Ulster, perhaps it's the only way we could tighten things up..

Cogito surely Nesty and Cullivan would be included as two of our better players?

cogito

Quote from: Westside on March 14, 2011, 12:22:29 AM
Listening to the Limerick coverage of the game today it seemed that every time they ran at our defence we were in danger of giving up a goal.. We have 6 good players that are more suited to the wing back positions.. Hopefully the Minor and U-21's can concentrate on developing some full back line players and we won't have to continue the trend of having a host of wing backs and no corner backs.. There was a lad from Killeshandra playing for the U-21s last year at corner back and he was very good, even in the final.. Where is he now?

The defence needs shoring up though and while I was always glad that Cavan never resorted to playing a sweeper like the rest of Ulster, perhaps it's the only way we could tighten things up..

Cogito surely Nesty and Cullivan would be included as two of our better players?

Yeah, I certainly would regard them as two of the better players but today was the first time I saw Nesty this year and he looks like he has a fair bit of work to do so that was the reason I didn't put him in. I'm sure he will be there when championship arrives. Cullivan too was very good in patches today. I just think McKiernan is one of the most natural midfielders I have ever seen and having someone like Reilly beside him to do some of the donkey work will help him. For all his talent, I still don't know Cullivan's position and I have seen him a few times over the years for DCU and Cavan.

The full-back line needs serious work. And yes, everytime they ran at Cavan the defence just opened up.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cogito on March 14, 2011, 12:41:23 AM

Yeah, I certainly would regard them as two of the better players but today was the first time I saw Nesty this year and he looks like he has a fair bit of work to do so that was the reason I didn't put him in. I'm sure he will be there when championship arrives. Cullivan too was very good in patches today. I just think McKiernan is one of the most natural midfielders I have ever seen and having someone like Reilly beside him to do some of the donkey work will help him. For all his talent, I still don't know Cullivan's position and I have seen him a few times over the years for DCU and Cavan.

The full-back line needs serious work. And yes, everytime they ran at Cavan the defence just opened up.

How did Padraig Reily play today cognito?
Rays best position for the county in my opinion is as a wing forward offering a third option for kickouts.

cogito

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 14, 2011, 02:06:15 AM
Quote from: cogito on March 14, 2011, 12:41:23 AM

How did Padraig Reily play today cognito?
Rays best position for the county in my opinion is as a wing forward offering a third option for kickouts.

He did fine. I mean he is not really a natural midfielder but he makes up for it in work-rate and he does all the defensive side of things at midfield. With a team like Cavan I think you need an assigned midfielder willing to do all that kind of work. Cullivan and McKiernan or McKiernan and Givney at midfield would be too attacking in my opinion.

In fairness to Cavan yesterday they should have won that game and I woudln't be fooled by Limerick's current league form. They have some fine footballers and have been knocking on the door of a Munster championship for a while.

Westside

I read a Limerick supporter's report of the game where it said that "The Cavan defence was, by far, the most porous Limerick have come up against this year"

Worrying..

anglocelt39

Don't know what it is with us in Cavan but we have got into an incredible habit of trying to make defenders out of players whose natural ability lies much further forward. The first I ever saw of Anthony Forde was in the 96 Under 21 All Ireland Final and he was superb at half forward. One year later he rescued us with a late Score against Fermanagh and an Ulster Title followed. Two years later I saw him in the piss pours of rain down in Wexford playing a wing half back and lookikng totally lost regarding making a tackle. In fairness he stuck at it and wasn't the worst over the years, never a natural out and out defender mind. Peter Reilly burst onto the inter county scene as a half forward and spent a fair bit of his time in defence after that. God knows how many other cases since then.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds