Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 26, 2011, 03:05:25 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 26, 2011, 02:41:30 PM
Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 26, 2011, 02:39:52 PM
Should we really wonder about the Gaels lads anymore? All I have ever heard from them is excuse after excuse in January or so. They are not there so sod them.

Any word on when Nesty is back?

Without knowing the ins and outs of it, I'd be inclined to agree with ya

I didn't mean to be disrespectful but ever since I start following this board the Gaels conundrum has been brought up again and again. Really what is he point anymore?

Does anyone know if Lyng is on the panel?

No denying that fact.  Lyng will be playing for DCU on Thursday in Sigerson Quarter final but I presume he is still on the panel
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

anglocelt39

Should we really wonder about the Gaels lads anymore? All I have ever heard from them is excuse after excuse in January or so. They are not there so sod them.

I didn't mean to be disrespectful but ever since I start following this board the Gaels conundrum has been brought up again and again. Really what is he point anymore?

i'll put my hand up and admit to being one of the Guilty parties in raising that topic Yank. Personally I wouldn't give two tuppeny F"£$"ks if it was not for the fact that on championship form over the last two years we are now in the bottom five football counties in the Country. Thank christ you weren't sitting beside me and a few other lads in Cork during that ritual humiliation last July. A few Cork lads actually took sympathy on us (god that was hard to take) and innocently started asking us about the state of club football in the County. You can imagine the direction that conversation took. While we're on the topic, your question about Lyng??
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

put-it-up-again

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 26, 2011, 08:11:28 PM

i'll put my hand up and admit to being one of the Guilty parties in raising that topic Yank. Personally I wouldn't give two tuppeny F"£$"ks if it was not for the fact that on championship form over the last two years we are now in the bottom five football counties in the Country. Thank christ you weren't sitting beside me and a few other lads in Cork during that ritual humiliation last July. A few Cork lads actually took sympathy on us (god that was hard to take) and innocently started asking us about the state of club football in the County. You can imagine the direction that conversation took. While we're on the topic, your question about Lyng??

I would say you were one of very few people down there that day chief  ;D

Im suprised they didn't ask you to tog out at half time  ;)

Anyone have the panel from that awful, awful day? Be interested to see how many lads are still involved.

Denn Forever

Team for tomorrow from Hoganstand.

| More Forward switches for Cavan

Cavan's Cian Mackey
25 February 2011

Cavan managers Val Andrews and Terry Hyland have made two changes to their forward line for Sunday's Allianz National League Division 3 meeting with Waterford.

Gearoid McKiernan of Swanlinbar comes into the side after registering two vital scores as a substitute in last weekend's draw with Westmeath.

Cian Mackey (pictured right), also a half-time replacement last week, is promoted to the side at right corner forward. Niall Murray and Brendan Fitzpatrick are the two players to lose out.

The back line and midfield remains unchanged from Cusack Park a week ago.

Waterford are sure to provide stern opposition, having surprised Munster rivals Limerick a week ago.

Throw-in at Kingspan Breffni Park is at 2.30pm on Sunday.

Cavan (SF v Waterford): J Reilly; A Clarke, P Carroll, S Jordan; M McKeever, J McCutcheon, D O'Reilly; R Cullivan, P O'Reilly; R Flanagan, K Fannin, G McKiernan; C Mackey, G Pearson, S Johnston.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

tommysmith

That was a poor performance today lucky to get the win in the end.

club_man

And so another round complete and a very poor performance today. Some well taken scores at times but the overall play was of a poor standard. Things are not good when we are struggling to beat Waterford (no disrespect to Waterford) but surely we can play better stuff.

James was solid in goals and a neat save in the dying moments of the game saved our blushes.

Patrick Carroll was not his usual self at full back, head did not seem to be in the game and made a number of silly errors. Thought Stephen Jordan has a particularly good game, was at fault for their goal but overall was a very sticky corner back. Similarly Toastie (Alan Clarke) did quite well.

Half back line were pretty decent with Mc Keever again performing well, he has that bit of quality that stands out. However not sure if Damien O'Reilly is up to the standard.

Midfield again ok, nothing spectacular but I suspect Givney will feature in this area come championship. You really do need big men in this area at inter county level.

Gearoid was quiet enough, made 1 or 2 good passes but quiet by his standards. Fannin scored a good point but faded out of the game and was eventually replaced. Though Flanagan had a poor game, seemed to slow the play up a lot and apart from the frees didn't offer a lot.

Pierson did well when the ball was stuck on his chest, his man however did well on the 50/50 balls. Should be a real threat at championship pace on solid ground.

Jelly was poor and was at his usual giving out when ball wasn't exactly where he wanted. Scored one or two points but would expect better. Mackey did very little and like Flanagan seemed to slow down the game. He is at his best when running at defence's.

Overall not the most enjoyable game but I suppose a wins a win. Extremely poor attendance (probably due to rugby)

Upwards and onwards

Denn Forever

Good to see we won while not playing well.

Thanks for the report on the match Club man.  Here is the report from Hoganstand.  As the ad says, Go Compare.

NFL 3: Cavan edge out Decies

New Cavan captain Seanie Johnson scored three points for the Breffni men in their NFL win over Waterford at Breffni Park.
27 February 2011

Cavan 0-13
Waterford 1-8

Cavan claimed their first win of the Allianz National Football League season with victory over fellow relegation candidates Waterford at Kingspan Breffni Park on Sunday.

The win saw the Ulstermen climb out of the bottom two of the Division 3 standings, in turn demoting Waterford back into the relegation places.

The home side led by two at the interval (0-6 to 0-4) and despite going behind to Mark Ferncombe's goal early in the second half, they hit back to close out the win at the final whistle.

It was a third goal in two games for Ferncombe, but on this occasion it was not enough to inspire the Decies to victory, with Cavan scoring six unanswered points - including scores from Ray Cullivan, Seanie Johnston and Cian Mackey - to open up a lead they wouldn't relinquish.

Cavan: J Reilly; A Clarke, P Carroll, S Jordan; M McKeever (0-1), J McCutcheon, D O'Reilly; R Cullivan (0-2), P O'Reilly (0-1); R Flanagan (0-2), K Fannin (0-1), G McKiernan; C Mackey (0-2), G Pierson (0-1), S Johnston (0-3, two frees). Subs: D Givney for R Flanagan (51 mins), B Reilly for K Fannin (56 mins), M Cahill for D OReilly (63 mins).

Waterford: K Cotter; M O'Gorman, T O'Gorman, C Phelan; K Connery, S Briggs, W Hennessy; T Prendergast, B Phelan; B Wall (0-5, 0-3 frees), K Power (0-1), M O'Gorman; M Ferncombe (1-0), P Hurney (0-1), S Fleming (0-1). Subs: T Connors for K Power (half-time), S Dempsey for B Phelan (55 mins), M Donnelly for S Fleming (63 mins), J Veale for M OGorman (64 mins).

Referee: J Curley (Meath).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Waterford had the wind in the first half but Cavan still had most of the ball and were 6-4 up at HT.  Cavan by default or design seemed to leave oceans of space in their defence and the forwards were fairly cluttered up.

Definitely improved in the third quarter and Cavan were definitely on top but let in a very badly defended goal which brought them right back into it.  They grabbed another couple of points and instead of coasting into victory, Cavan were looking over their shoulders and at the clock.

Alan Clarke caught the eye in the full back line and half backs used the ball well.  Team had a more settled look to it later in first half when McKiernan went to midfield, Cullivan to 40 and Fannin switched over to wing.

Overall result was very important if we didn't get it, it was definitely a relegation battle now if we picked up a result away to a struggling Limerick side - depending on other results, we'll have an outside chance at promotion.  As with other years, this Division is gonna be very tight from top to bottom

tommysmith

Wont have McKiernan or any of the U-21's the next day.  Its very possible now that Cavan will be playing in Divison 4 next year and after the game yesterday nobody could argue its the level we are at.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: tommysmith on February 28, 2011, 03:33:46 PM
Wont have McKiernan or any of the U-21's the next day.  Its very possible now that Cavan will be playing in Divison 4 next year and after the game yesterday nobody could argue its the level we are at.

Why not? We need McKiernan at midfield I think.

Jaysus lads I know we won but my god that was as bad as I ever seen us play I think. Waterford were brutal too. Thankfully we have two points though and puts us in a much better position in the league.

I just don't think any manager could transform the team at the minute. There is talent there but there seems to be very little team ethic or spirit. I'm I the only one that got sweet FA impression of togetherness yesterday? When we went five points up yesterday there was no desire at all to drive on and beat them out the gate. We took the foot of the gas, let them in for a handy goal and only we have one of the best keepers in Ireland we would have lost that game at the end yesterday.

After that, all i'm looking for this year is a solid league campaign where we avoid relegation and I'm not even thinking of championship. Any run at all will be a bonus.

Val, you are a brave man taking this job I'll give you that

tommysmith

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 28, 2011, 04:36:04 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on February 28, 2011, 03:33:46 PM

Why not? We need McKiernan at midfield I think.

Ulster U-21 game a few days after the next league game and Val or Terry said that none of them will be involved with the Senior until after U-21's are finished.

mylestheslasher

According to Hoganstand Seanie Johnston isi the new captain! That is a risky move but they are probably trying to get him to be a team man and not the individual he always in. I'm not sure leadership is in him from what Ive seen over the years but we will see.

put-it-up-again

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 28, 2011, 07:47:30 PM
According to Hoganstand Seanie Johnston isi the new captain! That is a risky move but they are probably trying to get him to be a team man and not the individual he always in. I'm not sure leadership is in him from what Ive seen over the years but we will see.

Who else is guaranteed their game though bar James Reilly?

Celt_Man

Championship Draws were tonight

Senior
Group 1: Lacken, Cavan Gaels, Ramor United, Ballinagh
Group 2: Cuchulainns, Drumalee, Killygarry, Denn
Group 3: Castlerahan, Gowna, Belturbet, Redhills
Group 4: Mullahorn, Kingscourt, Lavey

Intermediate
Group 1: Cootehill, Knockbride, Bailieborough, Drung
Group 2: Killeshandra, Killinkere, Butlersbridge, Swanlinbar
Group 3: Ballyhaise, Drumlane, Cavan Gaels, Drumgoon
Group 4: Crosserlough, Ballymachugh, Kill, Laragh United

Junior
Group 1: Kildallon, Shercock, Shannon Gaels, Mountnugent
Group 2: Munterconnaught, Corlough, Maghera
Group 3: Templeport, Cornafean, Arva

cavanmaniac

From www.ulstercollegesgaa.org

Omagh take Corn na nOg

Sun 27th Feb 2011

Omagh CBS 1-7 St Patrick's Cavan 1-4

St Patrick's Cavan went into this Corn na nÓg decider at Gavin Duffy Park Monaghan as hot favourites but Omagh CBS didn't read the script as they produced a fine display to upset the odds and deservedly take the title.

With both sides deploying a sweeper in defence scores proved difficult to come by and by the 28th minute only two points were registered with both going to the Tyrone lads courtesy of Patrick O'Neill and team captain Gavin Slane. That's when Omagh CBS struck for a superb individual goal from O'Neill to give them a stranglehold on proceedings. Slane tagged on a point and it was a measure of the way that the Omagh defence played that it took until two minutes into injury time for Cavan to open their account through Paul Leddy as the score line read 1-3 to 0-1 at the break.

Ben Conaty and Slane traded points on the restart before a goal from Ronan O'Reilly in the 40th minute took Cavan back into it. Omagh though refused to panic with captain Slane taking his personal haul for the afternoon to five points and despite not scoring in the final dozen minutes they limited their opponents to just two points from O'Reilly frees.

Omagh CBS –C Treanor, C Furey, O McGinn, C McCormack, E Murray, T McNamee, R McKenna, E McConnell, P McGirr, A McSorley, G Slane [0-5], P O'Neill [1-2], M Monaghan, S McGuigan, A McGrath. Subs – J Darcy for O McGinn, R McDaid for McGrath, C Gormley for Monaghan, M Corless for McSorley

St Patrick's Cavan – M Fegan, D Lunney, T Galligan, J Rahill, P Sexton, C McManus, P Smith, C McCabe, J Veale, D Hackett, R Connolly, M McKenna, B Conaty [0-1], P Leddy [0-1], R O'Reilly [1-2]. Subs – D Brady for Hackett, R Galligan for Sexton, D Gannon for Leddy

Referee – G Treanor, Truagh

Report from Kevin Kelly

Submitted by: Seamus McAleenan