Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 09, 2011, 01:01:43 PM
Meant to be the team for tonight's game. Suspect/hope there could be a few changes - Toastie at corner back?? Where did Niall Murray come from?

All change for Cavan

08 February 2011

Following their heavy Allianz FL loss in Tullamore, Cavan will field a much changed side for Wednesday's McKenna Cup semi-final against Tyrone.

A 1-12 to 0-8 Division 2 reverse to Offaly was not what new joint managers Terry Hyland and Val Andrews expected on their return to the management setup and hey have wielded the axe before the game against the O'Neill County.

Half the defence make way with Patrick Carroll, Mark McKeever and John McCutcheon called up while Ray Cullivan, who came on as a substitute against Offaly, now starts in midfield.

Gerard Pierson and Niall Murray line out at full forward and centre forward respectively.

Cavan (McKenna Cup semi-final v Tyrone) - J Reilly, A Clarke, Patrick Carroll, S Jordan, M McKeever, J McCutcheon, D O'Reilly, R Cullivan, P O'Reilly, K Fannin, N Murray, R Flanagan, S Johnston, G Pierson, B Fitzpatrick.

Subs: A O'Mara, A O'Reilly, P Gumley, B Reilly, O Minagh, P Cahill, D O'Dowd, E McGuigan, K Meehan, D Sheridan.

Couldn't make last nights game but all accounts said it was a spirited performance..though at the same time I suppose we did have th lead and threw it away again.

The management seemed to have come to the idea that the panel needs new blood judging by what I see from above. Where did the sudden inclusion of the 21's come from? Am I right in saying the the six I have put in bold above are still u21 this year? I can see some of you have questioned their inclusion already but I really would rather them lads in there instead of some of the dead wood that have been on the panel over the past few years.. You would hope that lads that age could bring in a fresh impetus

Does anyone have a copy of our bench during last year's championship. I'm just interested to see who was there and who has been dropped or quit

mylestheslasher

While we'd all like to protect the U21's it seems to me that management have little choice but to play some of them if they want to stay in Div 3. Any word on Givney and keating?

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 10, 2011, 08:36:55 PM
While we'd all like to protect the U21's it seems to me that management have little choice but to play some of them if they want to stay in Div 3. Any word on Givney and keating?

All I know is that both of them were involved with Sligo IT.. after that I haven't a clue. Be fantastic if we can get Givney back into midfield. Been hearing McKiernan is flying with Swanlinbar too at the moment but I'm not fully convinced by him just yet.

I'm not sure if we can look at them to keep us up just yet Myles but I do feel them training with the seniors will bring on both groups rather than the seniors just going through the motions with the same panel they had for the last few years that have consistently failed.

Celt_Man

Right so here it is....

Tyrone got the first couple of scores but once Cavan got up and running - they were pretty much in control of the game up to ten minutes into the second half when they got the peno...

Cavan were very impressive in the first half especially, out-fought and out-musclued Tyrone for the vast majority of the 50/50 and dirty ball.  They turned over a fare amount of Tyrone attacks and had a few eye catching blocks too.  Having said all that Miller pulled off 2 fairly smart saves but it was certainly against the run of play.  Tyrone hit a decent number of wides and had missed passes in the 1st half and to my eye they looked fairly rattled.  Mickey wasn't long whipping a few boys off and Stephen O'Neill came on after 15 mins.

Cavan had a deserved four point lead at half time 10 pts to 6 having played some slick football on a heavy pitch.  We got the first score of the second half and Tyrone were still looking out of sorts when one of their corner forward lost control of the ball when Stephen Jordan ran into him.  Harsh call for the penalty, bad call to give him a second yellow.  They score, lead cut to 2 pts and down to 14.  2 minutes later, lost ball in defence from sideline kick, Tyrone had 4 on 2 and another goal went in.

Cavan went from crusing 5 points up to 4 minutes later down to 14 men and losing by a point - second goal was a real sickener...  Even then Tyrone weren't playing great stuff and they only pulled away in the final few minutes after we missed a chance to level the game...

Wouldn't be as harsh to say Cavan threw it away, they certainly were unlucky and if the spirit of their performances matches that game - I'm not going to worry much
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up-again

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 10, 2011, 09:21:21 PM
Right so here it is....

Tyrone got the first couple of scores but once Cavan got up and running - they were pretty much in control of the game up to ten minutes into the second half when they got the peno...

Cavan were very impressive in the first half especially, out-fought and out-musclued Tyrone for the vast majority of the 50/50 and dirty ball.  They turned over a fare amount of Tyrone attacks and had a few eye catching blocks too.  Having said all that Miller pulled off 2 fairly smart saves but it was certainly against the run of play.  Tyrone hit a decent number of wides and had missed passes in the 1st half and to my eye they looked fairly rattled.  Mickey wasn't long whipping a few boys off and Stephen O'Neill came on after 15 mins.

Cavan had a deserved four point lead at half time 10 pts to 6 having played some slick football on a heavy pitch.  We got the first score of the second half and Tyrone were still looking out of sorts when one of their corner forward lost control of the ball when Stephen Jordan ran into him.  Harsh call for the penalty, bad call to give him a second yellow.  They score, lead cut to 2 pts and down to 14.  2 minutes later, lost ball in defence from sideline kick, Tyrone had 4 on 2 and another goal went in.

Cavan went from crusing 5 points up to 4 minutes later down to 14 men and losing by a point - second goal was a real sickener...  Even then Tyrone weren't playing great stuff and they only pulled away in the final few minutes after we missed a chance to level the game...

Wouldn't be as harsh to say Cavan threw it away, they certainly were unlucky and if the spirit of their performances matches that game - I'm not going to worry much

For years all people have wanted was hunger and pride in the jersey. We have been given false dawn's like this before but it shows what our boy's our capable of doing when they knuckle down and decide they want to give a 100%. Let's hope this is the real start to our year

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up-again on February 10, 2011, 09:31:19 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 10, 2011, 09:21:21 PM
Right so here it is....

For years all people have wanted was hunger and pride in the jersey. We have been given false dawn's like this before but it shows what our boy's our capable of doing when they knuckle down and decide they want to give a 100%. Let's hope this is the real start to our year

Aye there was a boy in front of me who said at half time he wasn't worried about the result because he was so impressed with the first half perforrmance given what happened in Tullamore on Sunday

Westside

It goes to show that Cavan are no pushovers, when they want to stand up and give it hell they can do it. I heard Cullivan was immense. Himself and Givney at Midfield does seem a lot more promising than past partnerships, for example Walsh and Galligan. Cavan need to put in this effort every time they take the field if they are going to be winners.

I wonder will Hyland address his playing of the U-21s and why he has changed his idea? Does he want to give the lads good competitive football before the U-21 Championship? He is being very vocal and honest to the media which is refreshing. McKiernan will be playing in Croker on Saturday which will do his development the world of good. I would be very worried about him hitting a wall. Since the beginning of the U-21s last year he hasn't stopped, Club County and College all going far..

gortnaleck

McKiernan will be alright,sure he spent the Summer on the beaches in California

PhilsJemmysField

best of luck to swad. Will be tough to beat any Kerry team but here is hoping they start off the year with an ALL Ireland

anglocelt39

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9391556.stm

hope the link works if not BBC northern ireland sport will get you to about 4 minutes of highlights from Wednesday nights match. Agree with Celt man that the penalty looked soft and the second goal also had an element of luck to it. Couple of lovely looking scores from Cullivan and the Gowna man
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Celt_Man

Swad beaten 3 -13 to 1-5 according to the lastest scores thread...  :(

mylestheslasher

Hard luck to Swad, with a score like that there can be no doubt that the best team won.

Anglocelt - I just watched that video, jasus that penalty was a joke. Some nice scores by pierson in there too.

Babe Ruth 47

Some more good news on top of what seems like a good performance by Cavan during the week, friend was at the game, thought Cullivan ws emense.

St Pats are through to the Cor na nOg final, due to be played this week.  I think it's the next grade up from the Team who won the Dalton last year. Great to see a team of lads from Cavan, no matter how young, competing at the top table in Ulster.

News
CAVAN THROUGH TO CORN NA NOG FINAL
Wed 9th Feb 2011

BT Corn na nÓg semi-final :
St Patrick's Cavan        5-10     Abbey CBS     3-4
St Patrick's Cavan conceded two goals in the opening 90 second of this Corn na nÓg semi-final in Tyholland but powered their way back into contention to claim a place in the final against Omagh CBS.
Sheagh Dobbin and Ryan Trainor bagged those early Abbey goals, but a goal from Daragh Gannon and two from Paul Leddy – the second a bit of a goal-mouth scramble – put Cavan in control before the break.
Although they conceded a second Dobbin goal right on half-time, they still led by 3-4 to 3-2 and held the Abbey to just 2 pointed frees during the second half.
Gannon fired home his second goal early in the second half and Paul Sexton's three-pointer in the 49th minute left the Cavan side coasting home.
Meanwhile St Malachy's Belfast completed the BT Loch an Iúir semi-final line-up, by surviving a goal fest against St Patrick's Keady in yesterday's quarter-final.
St Malachy's won 5-16 to 3-8, and now face another south Armagh school, St Paul's Bessbrook, in the semi-final, while Patrician Carrickmacross and Rathmore Grammar are already lined up in the other semi-final.
St Patrick's Cavan : Paul Leddy 2-2, Daragh Gannon 2-1, Paul Sexton 1-1, Ben Conaty 0-2, Colin McCabe 0-2, Brian Connolly 0-1, Pearse Smyth 0-1.
Abbey : Sheagh Dobbin 2-0, Ryan Trainer 1-2, Cillian McEvoy 0-3.
Submitted by: Seamus McAleenan

boojangles

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on February 13, 2011, 10:08:05 AM
Some more good news on top of what seems like a good performance by Cavan during the week, friend was at the game, thought Cullivan ws emense.

St Pats are through to the Cor na nOg final, due to be played this week.  I think it's the next grade up from the Team who won the Dalton last year. Great to see a team of lads from Cavan, no matter how young, competing at the top table in Ulster.

News
CAVAN THROUGH TO CORN NA NOG FINAL
Wed 9th Feb 2011

BT Corn na nÓg semi-final :
St Patrick's Cavan        5-10     Abbey CBS     3-4
St Patrick's Cavan conceded two goals in the opening 90 second of this Corn na nÓg semi-final in Tyholland but powered their way back into contention to claim a place in the final against Omagh CBS.
Sheagh Dobbin and Ryan Trainor bagged those early Abbey goals, but a goal from Daragh Gannon and two from Paul Leddy – the second a bit of a goal-mouth scramble – put Cavan in control before the break.
Although they conceded a second Dobbin goal right on half-time, they still led by 3-4 to 3-2 and held the Abbey to just 2 pointed frees during the second half.
Gannon fired home his second goal early in the second half and Paul Sexton's three-pointer in the 49th minute left the Cavan side coasting home.
Meanwhile St Malachy's Belfast completed the BT Loch an Iúir semi-final line-up, by surviving a goal fest against St Patrick's Keady in yesterday's quarter-final.
St Malachy's won 5-16 to 3-8, and now face another south Armagh school, St Paul's Bessbrook, in the semi-final, while Patrician Carrickmacross and Rathmore Grammar are already lined up in the other semi-final.
St Patrick's Cavan : Paul Leddy 2-2, Daragh Gannon 2-1, Paul Sexton 1-1, Ben Conaty 0-2, Colin McCabe 0-2, Brian Connolly 0-1, Pearse Smyth 0-1.
Abbey : Sheagh Dobbin 2-0, Ryan Trainer 1-2, Cillian McEvoy 0-3.
Submitted by: Seamus McAleenan

Great news. Yes that is more or less the same panel who won the Dalton Cup last year. Hopefully they can keep progressing. Some fine footballers on that team.

club_man

Things very quiet on here lads. I see on hoganstand that we are retaining the same team as the Mc Kenna Cup semi-final. Seems to be the logical decision. Its important to push on and get a victory in this game but Westmeath will be no pushover although by all accounts they were dismal against Louth.