Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommysmith

Quote from: put-it-up-again on February 07, 2011, 01:07:03 PM
I honestly don't get you at all Tommy but yes he is. Are you still to embarrassed to share your club?

You dont get me talking about football on a football discussion board  ???

EDIT: PM me if you have a problem so not to clutter the board.

beer baron

Quote from: tommysmith on February 07, 2011, 12:08:04 PM
Quote from: beer baron on February 07, 2011, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: tommysmith on February 06, 2011, 12:17:39 PM
How is that lad the sub keeper now, i didnt think he played atall last year.

Not going to game today to much drink last nite

p.s Good craic with yas lads  :-*
He wasn't,bad act! >:(

????

A lad thats been training hard all winter got dropped for a lad only in basically!

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: beer baron on February 07, 2011, 02:15:37 PM

????

A lad thats been training hard all winter got dropped for a lad only in basically!

Am i missing something here? I have read these few posts a few times and its still not making any sense. Can you shed some light lads?

beer baron

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 07, 2011, 02:24:35 PM

????

Am i missing something here? I have read these few posts a few times and its still not making any sense. Can you shed some light lads?

Sub keeper yesterday only recently joined the squad,Davy Ward was dropped!

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: beer baron on February 07, 2011, 02:53:26 PM
Quote from: Breffni_Yank on February 07, 2011, 02:24:35 PM

????

Sub keeper yesterday only recently joined the squad,Davy Ward was dropped!

Ah ok beer baron I get you now, didn't know what ye were talking about for a while. Im sure Ward is rightly pissed off then if that is the case. He only got that one run out in the McKenna Cup I presume and even if he did play poorly thats very harsh.. We played Bailieborough in the league last year but he wasn't in goals that day anyway. Maybe he was back in with them for the championship but I was gone by that stage.. Perhaps put it up again can shed some light?

mylestheslasher

Does anyone know for sure that the lad didn't leave the panel himself after that performance in the McKenna cup? I don't know but just asking.

beer baron

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 07, 2011, 08:05:39 PM
Does anyone know for sure that the lad didn't leave the panel himself after that performance in the McKenna cup? I don't know but just asking.

Yeah he was dropped,bad debut but he is a good keeper!

Celt_Man

Meant to be the team for tonight's game. Suspect/hope there could be a few changes - Toastie at corner back?? Where did Niall Murray come from?

All change for Cavan

08 February 2011

Following their heavy Allianz FL loss in Tullamore, Cavan will field a much changed side for Wednesday's McKenna Cup semi-final against Tyrone.

A 1-12 to 0-8 Division 2 reverse to Offaly was not what new joint managers Terry Hyland and Val Andrews expected on their return to the management setup and hey have wielded the axe before the game against the O'Neill County.

Half the defence make way with Patrick Carroll, Mark McKeever and John McCutcheon called up while Ray Cullivan, who came on as a substitute against Offaly, now starts in midfield.

Gerard Pierson and Niall Murray line out at full forward and centre forward respectively.

Cavan (McKenna Cup semi-final v Tyrone) - J Reilly, A Clarke, Patrick Carroll, S Jordan, M McKeever, J McCutcheon, D O'Reilly, R Cullivan, P O'Reilly, K Fannin, N Murray, R Flanagan, S Johnston, G Pierson, B Fitzpatrick.

Subs: A O'Mara, A O'Reilly, P Gumley, B Reilly, O Minagh, P Cahill, D O'Dowd, E McGuigan, K Meehan, D Sheridan.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BigMac

Very strange to see Clarke at corner back. I can see a Tyrone fullforward line humiliating that full back line. Just looking through the squad, surely K Meehan isn't Kevin Meehan from the gaels. Grand young footballer, but county senior panelist, I dont think so. Also I always thought Stephen Jordan was a half forward, I hope they aren't going to do a "Keith Fannin" on him and just play him corner back even he would rather be a forward and is a better forward. I know there is a few injuries, lads with colleges and u-21's but if that is the best team we can put, out it's a sad day. Damien Reilly is only a middling defender IMHO, and Podge is a good trier but too slow, definitely not cut out for intercounty midfield. Likewise, Celt Man, this is the first I've heard of Niall Murray being on the panel, and he starts at CF against Tyrone? He could be marking someone like Conor Gormely or McMenamin! Surely he could have been tried a bit earlier, or maybe he was and I missed it. Full forward line and wing forwards are ok, but would have concerns about every other position. Reading back over this it seems like i'm being very negative, but I'm really not trying to be.  :-\

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BigMac on February 09, 2011, 02:42:21 PM
Very strange to see Clarke at corner back. I can see a Tyrone fullforward line humiliating that full back line. Just looking through the squad, surely K Meehan isn't Kevin Meehan from the gaels. Grand young footballer, but county senior panelist, I dont think so. Also I always thought Stephen Jordan was a half forward, I hope they aren't going to do a "Keith Fannin" on him and just play him corner back even he would rather be a forward and is a better forward. I know there is a few injuries, lads with colleges and u-21's but if that is the best team we can put, out it's a sad day. Damien Reilly is only a middling defender IMHO, and Podge is a good trier but too slow, definitely not cut out for intercounty midfield. Likewise, Celt Man, this is the first I've heard of Niall Murray being on the panel, and he starts at CF against Tyrone? He could be marking someone like Conor Gormely or McMenamin! Surely he could have been tried a bit earlier, or maybe he was and I missed it. Full forward line and wing forwards are ok, but would have concerns about every other position. Reading back over this it seems like i'm being very negative, but I'm really not trying to be.  :-\

Well if you could name some replacements for those positions with people that are available and willing to play then I wouldn't say you are negative but you didn't so maybe you are? All they can do is put out the best of what is available to them and if its not good enough what can be done.

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 09, 2011, 04:11:41 PM
Quote from: BigMac on February 09, 2011, 02:42:21 PM

Well if you could name some replacements for those positions with people that are available and willing to play then I wouldn't say you are negative but you didn't so maybe you are? All they can do is put out the best of what is available to them and if its not good enough what can be done.

I wont be judging anyone on this game.

Dougal

id rate that team higher than the team that started at the weekend.a few big names in the tyrone team but its not that great a team,no reason cavan cant win this.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Westside

Anyone with updates for those of us that couldn't make it?

Edit: Live updates here lads, Cavan lead by 2 points: http://www.teamtalkmag.com/?p=2056

Denn Forever

From the GAA board.  Sounds like we gave it a good rattle.

From teamtalk:

Tyrone overcame a resolute Cavan side tonight in Brewster Park thanks to two very timely second half goals and thus qualified for Saturday night's final. They will now face a Derry side brimming with confidence following their opening league win over the Red Hands.

Tyrone struggled at times tonight with Cavan's aggression and commitment and trailed by four points at the break ten points to six. However they could have been handsomely ahead at half time had they capitalised on the three goal chances that they created in the opening thirty five minutes. Martin Penrose, Brian Mc Guigan and Mark Donnelly all came close to netting majors but great work by James Reilly in the Cavan goal prevented Tyrone from finding the net.

Cavan began the second half well but Tyrone hit them with two goals, the first a penalty from Martin Penrose after a foul on Mark Donnelly. Cavan were reduced to fourteen men after Syephen Jordan was sent off in that incident. Patrick Mc Niece then finished a fine move to the net four minutes later and Tyrone looked home and hosed. However Cavan refused to buckle and with Ray Cullivan driving them on and just three points between the sides they pushed hard for a goal which would have drawn them level. Fortunately for Tyrone some fine late scores from Stevie O'Neill and Kevin Hughes saw Mickey Harte's side through to Saturday night's final on a score line of 2-11 to 0-14.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

We gave it a good go surely and had Tyrone rattled for the majority of the game...  Penalty was a harsh decision and the second yellow for it was a poor call.  Second goal knocked the arse out of thing altogether.

I'll compose myself and add to my thoughts later
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010