Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMac

I remember Josh as an underage player and would have played against him numerous times. He was a decent defender, very brave and hard working. Didn't he play county minor and maybe under 21 Celt Man? Would he be worth a run with the seniors as a corner back?

Dougal

i saw him for the u 21s last year in a few of the challenge matches,he was quite good,and wasnt far off getting a starting place on the team,id say.doubt hes fit for senior yet,but could be an option in a few years.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

118cmal

Apparently swad have won their appeal?

PhilsJemmysField

Congratulations to Swad on beating Monaghan fair and square

Celt_Man

Quote from: BigMac on January 12, 2011, 09:48:26 AM
I remember Josh as an underage player and would have played against him numerous times. He was a decent defender, very brave and hard working. Didn't he play county minor and maybe under 21 Celt Man? Would he be worth a run with the seniors as a corner back?

Aye played County Minor for 2 years and Under 21s for two years as well....  Aye I'd think he would be worth a look especially with such an exended panel that we have at present.  I suppose he is fit to play for UCD in the O'Byrne Cup - he couldn't be far for the standard at all
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

gortnaleck

And  he's a great fella as well. He was out in San Francisco this Summer and was a gentleman

Denn Forever

From Hoganstand.

Which fringe playerfs do we want to see?

Cavan depleted for opener

Cavan's Martin Cahill
14 January 2011

Cavan are set to be down a number of key players for tomorrow night's Dr McKenna Cup game against Derry at Kingspan Breffni Park.

Last year's captain Martin Cahill is still sidelined with a groin problem, while John McCutcheon and Dermot Sheridan are also set to miss out on the Oak Leafers' visit with shoulder and hand injuries, respectively.

The squad has also been hit by a 'flu bug recently, with midfielder Lorcan Mulvey and defender Padraig Cahill becoming the latest victims of the virus ahead of the Breffni men's 2011 opener.

"We would have liked the game against Queen's to have gone ahead last weekend, but it wasn't to be," Cavan co-manager Terry Hyland told the Irish Sun.

"The college teams are well-prepared at this time of year as they are gearing up for the Sigerson Cup.

"Derry will be strong and they have a new manager as well so he will be hoping to get some of their more seasoned players back and looking at new players as well."

Derry boss John Brennan is believed to be in line to start All Star pair Paddy Bradley and Kevin McCloy tomorrow night, while Hyland and co-manager Val Andrews will be looking to test out some of the squad's fringe players for the game.

"Every competition you enter, you want to try and win it but we will be using it to blood players," added the Lacken man.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BigMac

Any word on what the team will be?

Ollie

I heard they lost 1-10 - 1-12.. was anybody at it?

whats my name

was at it poor first half cavan done better in the second fannin,corr,pierson,p Reilly all donevery well pierson got 2 great scores was like the pierson of old the way he took them they were very good he's bulked up alot as well very strong. cavan could of won the game only for the keeper was brutal kickouts terrible 3 points came off his bad kickouts as well as going to fist a ball that he didn't need to go for cost cavan a sloppy goal

mylestheslasher

I wasn't at it but I believe they played against the wind in the 1st half and were 8 points down at half time. At least it seems they put a bit of fight into the thing and sounds like they were just bet by a soft goal. Could've been a worse start given the amount of players missing.

put-it-up-again

Can anyone post the team?

Wouldn't be too concerned about the result tonight anyway. Nice to get our fella's back on the pitch. I'm gonna be very patient with Andrews and give him a chance to stamp his mark on the team.

club_man

Heres the team:

James Reilly
Damien Reilly      Eoin Smith     Patrick Carroll
Dane O'Dowd     Alan Clarke      Stephen
               Padraig O'Reilly Ciaran Galligan
Keith Fannin      Anton Reilly     Ronan Flanagan
Paddy Gumely     Jelly               Mickey Brennan

As pointed out the wind had a huge bearing on game with Derry forwards on form in 1st. Cavan clawed in back well in 2nd half and great to see Pierson chipping in with 2 great points, he really is a top player when on form. Mossy Corr came on for Galligan and offered a lot more in terms of work rate and hard graft.

Still not sure on full back, don't think Eoin Smith is the man for this position. James Reilly made a great save before coming off injured and his replacement was terrible. Some desperate kickouts and caught in no mans land for the goal.

Overall could have been a worst start

put-it-up-again

Quote from: club_man on January 15, 2011, 10:32:14 PM
Heres the team:

James Reilly
Damien Reilly      Eoin Smith     Patrick Carroll
Dane O'Dowd     Alan Clarke      Stephen
               Padraig O'Reilly Ciaran Galligan
Keith Fannin      Anton Reilly     Ronan Flanagan
Paddy Gumely     Jelly               Mickey Brennan

As pointed out the wind had a huge bearing on game with Derry forwards on form in 1st. Cavan clawed in back well in 2nd half and great to see Pierson chipping in with 2 great points, he really is a top player when on form. Mossy Corr came on for Galligan and offered a lot more in terms of work rate and hard graft.

Still not sure on full back, don't think Eoin Smith is the man for this position. James Reilly made a great save before coming off injured and his replacement was terrible. Some desperate kickouts and caught in no mans land for the goal.

Overall could have been a worst start

Who is the wingback named stephen clubman? I really wish Darren Smith got a chance in at FB. He has been consistent for Lavey over the last few years there. How did Anton Reilly fare? He has had a right amount of chances at this level by now...Also glad to see Fannin got a shot at WF. I remember two years he was sensational there for Drumgoon.

Who came in the goals for James? Was it Fintan Reilly?

club_man

Sorry forgot, Stephen Jordan from Lavey.

Anton was poor and as you say has had a number of chances at this level, I don't think he is up to the required level.

The goalie was Davy Ward (never heard of him myself) and was poor. Fannin picked up a lot of ball and generally I thought he did ok, very hard working.