Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

It's a shame more didn't come through the development thing.. And where's the Kingscourt/Gaels lads?? I suppose for the league you'd be adding back in Gearoid McKiernan, Givney, Barry Reilly, maybe Declan McKiernan and a few more? Surprised to see Ronan Reilly back in there.. Brilliant two years ago but didn't do much since.. Well nobody can say that everyone wasn't looked at and given the chance to join..

When's the first home game in the McKenna Cup?

put-it-up-again

nesty is injured, as is hannon as far as i know. Leaving mackey out i would say is to take some of the heat off about the other thing. I think al
l u21s are being left alone until their year is over. Very surprised at the lack of kingscourt and gales lads...its a big disapppoint to me. Wanted to see the likes of king and wakeley give it a real shot.

To the best of my knowledge i think keating givney martin reilly gearoid mck pdermot  sheridan and lyng are our college representtatives!

tommysmith

Quote from: put-it-up-again on December 22, 2010, 06:05:34 PM
nesty is injured, as is hannon as far as i know. Leaving mackey out i would say is to take some of the heat off about the other thing. I think al
l u21s are being left alone until their year is over. Very surprised at the lack of kingscourt and gales lads...its a big disapppoint to me. Wanted to see the likes of king and wakeley give it a real shot.

To the best of my knowledge i think keating givney martin reilly gearoid mck pdermot  sheridan and lyng are our college representtatives!

Are you serious?

beer baron

Quote from: tommysmith on December 23, 2010, 11:58:25 AM
Quote from: put-it-up-again on December 22, 2010, 06:05:34 PM

Jim Mc Guinness wouldn't have a look in!

Are you serious?

anglocelt39

First time I've posted on inter county matters since the debacle down in Cork. Can only echo the views of a number of other posters. Kingscourt, Gaels, Ramor and Mullahoran were our County semi finalists last year and I'm counting a total of three lads from those clubs on the panel. Maybe Val and Terry haven't had huge success, yet, in trying to get a few blokes to commit.

I'm well gone from things now but I remember reading Fitzpatrick in the Celt after the Cork game saying that a lot of the lads on the panel would not make the Gaels first 15. No harm to them for at least putting the effort in when others won't but I'd say a few of the names he was thinking of remain in this panel.

Happy Christmas and new year to one and all
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Breffni_Yank

I know two Cavan Gaels players who were asked in but said they couldn't commit until January because of work commitments. They said they would be very interested in giving it a go but I think Val felt if you weren't in before Jan then that was that.

I'm very disappointed with the squad, literally nothing has changed. How many times have the likes of Anton and Ronan Reilly been tried in the McKenna Cup over the last few years?

Darren Smith from Lavey for me just has to be tried at FB. On the positive side Pierson and James Reilly back is a massive plus. Hopefully the u21's get a good run this year and then 4 or 5 could go into the senior squad and freshen it up just ahead of the summer. I would rather have that than trying every tom dick and harry in the county in the McKenna Cup I think...

mylestheslasher

Jayus it is like a funeral is going on in this thread! Someone post something ffs. Surely there must have been a few fights in the camp already that someone could report on :D Its nearly time for the McKenna cup so lets get some life back into the thread.

I was wondering where many of our posters went to (red n black, homer, cavanmaniac etc etc). So, lets have a roll call and see who is still active on here...

Mylestheslasher - Anseo.

drici

Quote from: drici on December 30, 2010, 05:52:08 PM

http://drumlinmedia.com/

When playing red cars versus blue cars versus white cars, the car has to go to the right of the screen past the camera. Cars that torun(!) left into that wee street do not count. At night in the 'smokers outside the bar competition', the amount of smokers over any five minute period count for whoever's five minutes that is. Any smokers still remaining on the street after the first contestant's five minutes will be included in the next's count. Smokers must go back into the bar after their feg to be included.

mylestheslasher

Get some sleep Drici!

Was just having a look a the indo gaa section and came across this mini interview with Tommy Carr (part of a couple of interviews with managers that left their job at the end of the year)

Tommy Carr

(Cavan)

Q What's the best thing you did all season?

A The best achievement of the season would have been beating Wicklow with two men down and seven points behind at the beginning of the second half. Other than that, it would have been biting the bullet with a few uncommitted players who were hanging on to the panel just for the sake of being there.

Q What's the one thing, with the benefit of hindsight, you'd do differently?

A Tackle the colleges issue in a more aggressive manner. We were without 14 of our panellists until mid February from a training perspective.

Q Would you have liked to stay on, and why?

A I opted not to even try and stay on.

Q Do you see yourself managing a county team again?

A Yes, but I would exercise better judgement in my selection of teams.

Obviously, not a happy man with how things went in Cavan!

Denn Forever

Lets start 2011 in aq hopeful state of mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIj-6fr2SlI

I won't say they can't get any worse because remember we are CAVAN.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

put-it-up-again

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 31, 2010, 01:40:49 PM
Get some sleep Drici!

Was just having a look a the indo gaa section and came across this mini interview with Tommy Carr (part of a couple of interviews with managers that left their job at the end of the year)

Tommy Carr

(Cavan)

Q What's the best thing you did all season?

A The best achievement of the season would have been beating Wicklow with two men down and seven points behind at the beginning of the second half. Other than that, it would have been biting the bullet with a few uncommitted players who were hanging on to the panel just for the sake of being there.

Q What's the one thing, with the benefit of hindsight, you'd do differently?

A Tackle the colleges issue in a more aggressive manner. We were without 14 of our panellists until mid February from a training perspective.

Q Would you have liked to stay on, and why?

A I opted not to even try and stay on.

Q Do you see yourself managing a county team again?

A Yes, but I would exercise better judgement in my selection of teams.

Obviously, not a happy man with how things went in Cavan!

I think the quicker we forget that man the better. I think we should ban his name from this thread..all he wants is publicity and media chasing after him and for some reason he is still getting it despite his appaling record.

Picked up the Celt today, nice to see Terry being straight up about why certain Gaels and Kingscourt lads didn't come in instead of the secrecy and rumour mill. I would still like to see Enda King and Wakely in particular allowed in after the McKenna Cup, even if they did miss all the winter weights. Enda could really give us something at WF i think and we all know how we are at FB. Wakely was the best there was in the county by a mile last year!

anglocelt39

Phil Sheridan of Golbolie, Bailieborough, Cavan passed away on 31st of December 2010.
Phil was 99 years old and his passing will be a great loss to all who knew him.

A great GAA man who will be a great loss to the Shamrocks Club.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Anybody who was involved in east Cavan GAA at any time over the last 80 years will have come across Phil, a real Shamrocks stalwart. Descendents/relations include Gerry (Ulster medal 97) and Cillian of County minor and Soccer fame plus many Sheridans currently serving the Shamrocks club.

My own earliest memories of Phil would be travelling to Breffni as a nipper in the early 70's. Three miles outside the town (by Corries Foundry/the Hide out Bar) there would be a group of anything up to 20 young lads being patrolled by Phil. the idea was that anybody with a car picked up a few of the lads and got them to/from the game. Times have changed indeed.

Slan  go foil a mhic.

Happy new year and I agree totally with PIUA's assessment of the departed and not lamented Tommy Carr.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on January 03, 2011, 10:15:09 AM
Phil Sheridan of Golbolie, Bailieborough, Cavan passed away on 31st of December 2010.
Phil was 99 years old and his passing will be a great loss to all who knew him.

A great GAA man who will be a great loss to the Shamrocks Club.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Anybody who was involved in east Cavan GAA at any time over the last 80 years will have come across Phil, a real Shamrocks stalwart. Descendents/relations include Gerry (Ulster medal 97) and Cillian of County minor and Soccer fame plus many Sheridans currently serving the Shamrocks club.

My own earliest memories of Phil would be travelling to Breffni as a nipper in the early 70's. Three miles outside the town (by Corries Foundry/the Hide out Bar) there would be a group of anything up to 20 young lads being patrolled by Phil. the idea was that anybody with a car picked up a few of the lads and got them to/from the game. Times have changed indeed.

Slan  go foil a mhic.

Happy new year and I agree totally with PIUA's assessment of the departed and not lamented Tommy Carr.

He lived to a grand age anyway at 99. Its men like him that put that sort of dedication into the game that are some of the real heroes of the GAA imo. RIP.