Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMac

Ollie, if Sean Johnson ever did something to deserve a 48 week ban then of course he should have to serve it. Are you trying to say if you're a good footballer, and play with one of the top clubs, you can get away with thumping someone, or assaulting an umpire, (or whatever he did), but if your an average club player from a bad junior side then you should serve the ban. That is a ridiculous theory. And if this ban promts some of the gales players to refuse to play for the county, then I say good riddance. They can't be let hold the county board to ransom, just because they have some potential county players. Each player should want to play for the county for the good of cavan football and for their own pride, and not refuse to play because one of their buddies got a ban for something he probably deserved. Just a note on Sean Reilly, I've played against him a few times, and saw him play on numerous occasions going back over about 8 years. He is one of the mouthiest players in the county at the minute, and I would say along with one or two more, has the worst disciplinary record of current players. A good pasting would not go astray on him, hopefully this ban will put him back in his box. I also dont think he is up to the standard of an intercounty mid fielder, he is very tall but I dont think he has enough of the other attributes needed.

Giveitlong

I was at the match. He was a spectator at the game on the small bank opposite the stand side (just as well I'd say). In the crowd, in jeans and jacket. As much togged out as my grandmother was. Apparently he was injured in a previous match.

During the melee he jumped the perimeter fence and joined in the melee with the best (or worst) of them. We just could not believe what we were seeing. He then returned to his spot after his 'contribution' as if nothing had happened and a lot of people around me started shouting at him and I was fairly concerned someone in the crowd might have gone for him and it might have kicked off again. There was a chap recording the game on the same side, so I am sure he got everything. So in that sense I would assume the county board got things fairly correct.

It was a very dangerous moment that could easily have led to other spectators running onto the pitch. And then how long and how bad would things have got? And I took a conscious note of the number of young kids around me at the game...5,6,7 year olds. Would you blame a young parent if they didn't want to bring their kids to a GAA match ever again?

I don't condone any kind of violence, definitely not from players either, but for a spectator to enter the fray is a very dark scenario.

Aside from the issue of a 48 suspension, I think the individual should seriously ask himself should he be taking part in team sports at all.

If you lads are saying he has already had a 48 week ban, and if this is his second one, then pure and simple this individual should find a new sport to take up and probably an individual sport.

And to agree with Ballyhaiseman and others, no matter what he has to offer as a player (And by all accounts he seems to be a useful midfielder), it doesn't matter whether we're talking about Peter Canavan, Kieran McDonald or St Mickey Harte himself. If you do that, you shouldn't be let near a GAA ground, let alone be let on the pitch.

In rugby a few years ago, Trevor Brennan received a lifetime ban (subsequently reduced to 5 years) as a player entering the crowd and attacking a spectator. In my view, if a spectator enters the playing area and attacks one (or more!) player, then, agan in my view, he should be treated no differently.

whats my name

YES i have to agree that it cant be one rule for some and then a different rule for everyone else if he deserves a 48 week ban he gets one regardless of if he's involved with the county or not.

whats my name

oh yea on another note best of luck to swad this weekend hope you can get another piece of silverware to add to the trophy cabinet

Breffni_Yank

At this stage I dont really care about our senior team. All the focus should be going on the u21's and minors because lets be honest here, our current senior crop arent good enough to win Ulster. I hope they improve this year and I think they will but they need an influx of a younger generation to drive them on in about three years.

The u21's seem to have their house in order this year with a impressive management team and from what I gather are back trainin already and having trials but the minor situation I heard is a joke. I'd like to hear the story PIU said he heard and see if it matches mine. Niall Lynch was easily the most qualified man for the job out of the applicants and should have gotten it. He is an excellent trainer and the CB could have found a stronger character to go in with him and help on the management side of things.

I'm not impressed at all with the proposed management of Gary Donohoe and Dermot McCabe. What do they know about managing 18 year olds and dealing with kids. If Dermot thinks he can control a dressing room of young men like he is supposed to have ran the Cavan senior dressing room in his last few years then we may forget about it.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't go back to the states and try to forget about Cavan football.

rodney trotter

Does anyone know who the ex cavan u21 player who is playing with clare next year.. i saw it on hoganstand where they got 4 players,1 from cavan dublin meath and kildare.. iis there anymore nesty smiths in dublin who can improve us? ???

Dougal

paddy power wont offer any odds on the swad game.going to have to lump on cross by the looks of things  ;D
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

tommysmith

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on November 25, 2010, 11:56:24 PM

Sometimes I wonder why I don't go back to the states and try to forget about Cavan football.

FFS would ya catch a grip of yourself.

Denn Forever

If you are going tomorrow, wrap up warm.

Best of luck to Swad. tomorrow.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Homer

All the best to Swad. Let's up hope for a chorus of The West's Awake tomorrow.

Westside

Game cancelled tomorrow lads I think.

giveherlong

Much snow about Mullahoran? Ladies Junior final down for there tommorow
you think it will go ahead?

Swadman

Thanks for all the well wishes but we will have to put the champagne on ice (pardon the expression). Re-fixed for next Sunday again in Clones according to a radio report.

put-it-up-again

Any word on how Val is settling in and his new recruits?

put-it-up-again

Have we finally found a manager with a bit of sense?

Cavan manager Terry Hyland won't be rushing any young players from the minor grade straight into senior football, he revealed this week.
A number of high profile Cavan underage footballers have been thrown in at the deep end at senior level immediately on graduating from minor ranks over the past decade, but Hyland promised to buck that trend, insisting that players of that age "are not physically developed enough for the modern type of game".
"Fellas will stay with the Under 21s. We may look at players in their final year of that grade [for the senior team]," Hyland told The Anglo-Celt.
The Lacken clubman also stated that he would rather see a return to the old league format of playing three matches before Christmas and four matches after.
Asked about the merits of the ban on collective training, which has drawn considerable criticism recently, Hyland stated that, while the idea behind the banning – protecting young players from burn-out – was a good one, it should possibly be implemented in a more even-handed way.
"I would think that it's more dangerous to have guys playing in the McKenna Cup when they haven't been training together for it, I'm not medically qualified to say that but I would think that there is more chance of a player getting injured in that situation," Hyland said.
"The old league system wasn't bad, fellas were playing football and they had longer to get ready. They also had the chance to go back to their clubs when the National League ended for a few weeks."