Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up-again

i got a fairly detailed story today on what has been going on with the minor job application process. Absolutely farsical..anyway if what im told is true the job is gary donohoes and dermot mccabe's.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Westside on November 19, 2010, 11:18:56 PM
I hear Corduff are favourites going into the final? Big physical team according to reports. Mark Cunningham and Robbie Prior won't win ball as easy as they have been doing. Swad will need to keep their focus on playing football and not be drawn into a dogfight.

well with Gearoid McKiernan,John Cunningham,Michael Curran out around the centre field area,i would be fairly confident,Swad would win enough ball to give those two a decent supply.
Id be especially delighted for Robbie Prior if he won an Ulster title,the lad has been one of the best forwards in all of Cavan football for the last decade.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up-again on November 20, 2010, 02:05:46 AM
i got a fairly detailed story today on what has been going on with the minor job application process. Absolutely farsical..anyway if what im told is true the job is gary donohoes and dermot mccabe's.

Ah go on and send an exile a pm on it!

put-it-up-again

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 20, 2010, 10:34:47 AM

Ah be god, where to start! On the phone at the minute but will send it on later from the comfort of a real keyboard!

Westside

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 20, 2010, 09:47:28 AM
Quote from: Westside on November 19, 2010, 11:18:56 PM
I hear Corduff are favourites going into the final? Big physical team according to reports. Mark Cunningham and Robbie Prior won't win ball as easy as they have been doing. Swad will need to keep their focus on playing football and not be drawn into a dogfight.

well with Gearoid McKiernan,John Cunningham,Michael Curran out around the centre field area,i would be fairly confident,Swad would win enough ball to give those two a decent supply.
Id be especially delighted for Robbie Prior if he won an Ulster title,the lad has been one of the best forwards in all of Cavan football for the last decade.

True, Gearoid has been playing well and Michael Curran is a great talent, probably a bit of an unsung hero! Robbie Prior deserves an Ulster medal. He's Swad's spiritual leader, keeps the rest on their toes and they seem to respect him. He has the temperament that some of the rest of the squad have been missing in recent years. Anyways where would be doing odds on this wouldn't mind sticking a few quid on Swad if Corduff are favourites?

Is the Minor thing still going on!? Send me on a copy of what you've heard PIUA if you would be so kind!

Dougal

Quote from: put-it-up-again on November 20, 2010, 11:10:01 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 20, 2010, 10:34:47 AM

Ah be god, where to start! On the phone at the minute but will send it on later from the comfort of a real keyboard!

it's bad when an exile knows more about it than someone at home.fire a pm my way if ya get a chance,only thing ive heard is whats on hogan stand.

id imagine paddy will have odds up for it sometime during the week,il keep a lookout.if they dont put them up by wed,ill get on to them to get odds up.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

BallyhaiseMan

From Hoganstand

Both Cavan Gaels and Kingscourt Stars have accepted the individual players' suspensions, which total 88 weeks, handed down to them by the Cavan county board's Competitions Control Committee on Monday night.

The bans were issued for matters arising out of the melee towards the end of the ACFL Division One final replay played between both teams at the New Inns grounds in Lavey on November 4 last.

The most severe suspension handed down was to Cavan Gaels midfielder Sean Reilly, who will be out of action for the entire 2011 season after being hit with a 48-week ban for his part in the melee.

Defender Marc Leddy has also received an eight-week suspension, while Daniel Graham, Micheál Lyng and Niall Gurhy were all handed four-week bans.

Kingscourt's suspensions will see team captain Alan Clarke, Gavin Sheenan, Patrick Farrelly and Under 21 ace Barry Reilly all miss the first four weeks of the 2011 league campaign.

Both clubs have also been fined an undisclosed sum, which they are set to appeal to the Hearings Committee, chaired by former Ulster Council President Miceál Grennan.

Sean Reily had been asked into the provisional county panel aswell,so thats one midfield option in 2011 gone already!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

f**king hell. What did Reilly do? That's one potential Gael of the county for the year. That kind of punishment is usually reserved for assulting an official isn't it?

Westside

It's going to an appeal I think isn't it? This isn't going to do anything to help get the County Panel sorted out... Hopefully it will be shortened on appeal..

Ollie

Sean Reilly has his discipline problems but he was viable option for midfield for the county seniors in the coming year. Cannot understand the county boards wisdom in suspending him for the the whole of next season. We need every potential county player available next year if we are serious about building a team for the future. In fact I cant understand why the County Board even bothered to impose 4 or 8 week suspensions on any players at this time of year seeing as there wont be any competitive football played until next year. Major own goal by the County Board.   

Dougal

Quote from: Ollie on November 24, 2010, 06:25:40 PM
Sean Reilly has his discipline problems but he was viable option for midfield for the county seniors in the coming year. Cannot understand the county boards wisdom in suspending him for the the whole of next season. We need every potential county player available next year if we are serious about building a team for the future. In fact I cant understand why the County Board even bothered to impose 4 or 8 week suspensions on any players at this time of year seeing as there wont be any competitive football played until next year. Major own goal by the County Board.

if he deserved a 48 week ban,well thats what he should get,regardless of how good he is.hes a very good player and could well of been a good choice for the county,but from what ive seen of him,hes very mouthy,and gets involved in stupid things.the 48 week ban he got a few years ago didnt improve his discipline much,but hopefully this one will.

i think the GAA are talking about bringing in match bans next year (or the year after),so there will be no more of this nonsense of players getting bans when they arent paying.

decided on sun to ask PP for odds on swad,no reply yet.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

I agree with Dougal. I can't believe Ollie you think that the County Board should give a second's thought to whether a boy can contribute to the county when deciding on suspensions. Would you be asking for refs to go easy on them too so that they don't get suspended?

Ollie

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on November 24, 2010, 10:07:57 PM
I agree with Dougal. I can't believe Ollie you think that the County Board should give a second's thought to whether a boy can contribute to the county when deciding on suspensions. Would you be asking for refs to go easy on them too so that they don't get suspended?

Firstly lads 48 weeks suspensions are ridiculous. Unless you seriously injure someone they shouldn't be imposed. I wasn't at the game but from what I was told there was just a bit of a scuffle and the end. In about 20% of club games played in Cavan throughout a whole season a scuffle breaks out. Most of them don't lead to a player receiving a one year ban. The fact that this happened in the League Final and that the Chairman made reference to it in his speech during the presentation is the main reason why it was dealt with so harshly.

Secondly lads I do think the County Board should give a second thought to whether a player can contribute to the county team before suspending him for an entire year. Imagine if Sean Johnson had received a 48 week suspension?? I don't think you'd disagree with me if it where him!!

I know Sean Reilly isn't the most popular man around the county. He was injured for a large part of the championship and missed the semi-final and final but he can really dominate midfield and can also catch a lot of high ball. We have very few options at midfield for the county team in the coming year and we really need all players with potential to be involved so we can try build a team for the future.

Lastly I agree with Dougal that match suspensions would be a much better way of dealing with Indiscipline. Ridiculous that the GAA haven't introduced it yet.         

Lawrence of Knockbride

Apart from your last paragraph, which I agree with, you can refer to my previous post. Same for Sean Johnston or ANY player in the county. No point speculating in why he got his ban either. They hardly handed out 4 and 8 week bans and then thought we better hand out a 48 week ban to show we mean business. I agree that most scuffles don't lead to this size of bans, therefore I assume his crime was a lot worse than this.

BallyhaiseMan

I agree with Lawrence.
we are NOT DERRY afterall, we dont let our players run amok and do whatever they want, then quash their bans because they are county players.  :D

I wasnt at the game either, but i think its fair to say Reily must have been accused of something seriously bad,if he got 48 weeks.