Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

THANKS FOR THE CONGRATS AND COMMENTS.
I was worried about the Munchies. They have the ability to get goals and had put up some big scores but it looked like our lads had the edge all game. The Munchie goal did bring them back into it but Robbie Priors' 2 points (crucial time) had us pulling away again. You won't have seen 2 better points from either side of the field all year. He could have got MOTM but possibly Geariod's work rate and ball carrying (despite his man dragging out of him) swung it  his way. We have to play them in the League Final in a few weeks, interesting to see how that goes.
P.S.
Send more beer   

118cmal

You must be the only man from swad awake at ten this morning!

Westside

The party just finishing up at that time Swadman?!

Gearoid is a fine carrier of the ball, very very strong runner and can kick a score. Pity he didn't rattle the net himself in the final few minutes as opposed to passing it but good to see the unselfishness too. Mark Cunningham has a nice left peg too. If he had better manners he'd be a great player.

boojangles

Quote from: Westside on October 03, 2010, 11:48:28 PM
Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 03, 2010, 07:53:53 PM
Who the hell picks the MOTM award though? Stevie Wonder ;D

There is no doubting McKiernan's potential though, if we keep him and Givney on the straight and narrow I would be fairly confident we would have one of the top midfields in the country in a few years. I really think they can be that good.

Prior has been class for year's but with the players Swad have they really should be a good Intermediate side. Their spine is better than most teams.

I can't comment on Givney but McKiernan's temperament and attitude is still questionable.. All credit to him today though he took lots of abuse and didn't loose the cool. I thought the ref was poor, gave Munchies a lot of decisions. Also the linesman near the stand for the minor game must have been from Cavan Gaels! Called everything for the Gaels..

He called everything for the Gaels because they were all Cavan Gaels balls. I was sitting right behind the 3 questionable decisions beside the dug out and he got them all 100% right. St Joes supporters were shouting from up behind as happens in tight games but they were wrong.

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 03, 2010, 11:51:34 PM
Quote from: boojangles on October 03, 2010, 11:03:07 PM
Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 03, 2010, 08:27:37 PM
I doubt Niall has been called into the senior panel to be honest because I don't think such a thing exists at the minute  ::) Although I may be wrong.

He might well be in for trials but I think Niall's time would be better served trying to settle into the u21 set-up this year and develop there in a less pressurized environment. There is no doubt he has potential and himself and Gearoid will make an excellent midfield for the u21's next year. One will need to learn how to defend though ;D

You picking the Under 21 team now Put it Up?? I'd hope there would be a few boys that would have a thing or 2 to say about that comment.

Yeah i got the managers job there last week. Apparently myself and Lawrence of Knockbride were the pick of the bunch. I hear you are being looked at for the minor job BooJ so keep your head up although if Myles can commit he might just pip you because of his experience.

I would be very surprised if the two McKiernan's aren't midfield next year. Two big men that can play a bit of ball. Cavan football should be looking to develop as many of them as possible in my opinion. But sure then again what do i know  :-[

If Gearoid is fit next year and not playing at centrefield for the 21's, I will walk around Drumalee in the nip with my dog, how is that for you  :D

I have no doubt the 2 Mc Kiernans are fine footballers but to be certain of the 2 of them manning the midfield positions at the start of October is a wee bit premature. You obviously have a better knowledge of the age group than me but there are 2 or 3 lads that I can think of who may have a say in that position.
IMO Gearoid and Niall are too alike to play alongside eachother. Both lefties who can field ball all day and provide the physical presence needed at Midfield but IMO every team needs a midfielder who can get up and down the field and do the hard running. Neither of these 2 boys will do that. They are both attack minded.
I have no doubt Gearoid if fit and everything else right will be 1st choice midfielder ( so no need to be walking round Drumalee naked- I wouldn't put your poor dog through that!! :D) but I think the Lacken man may work better in the Full- Forward line.

Ollie

The Minor final was by no means a classic. Both teams played good football at times but not consistently. St' Josephs were brilliant in the first 10 mins up until there midfielder got sent off. They struggled from there on in. The Gaels wasted so much possession and good scoring opportunities in the 2nd half. Once they they drew level they never looked back and the St.Joseph lads heads dropped. The extra man made all the difference for the Gaels. Some good performances on both sides notably Pauric Sexton, Cian Burns, Vincent Coyle and Stephan Murray who are all under age next year. For St. Joseph Finbarr Rudden, Kevin Bouchier and Gary Tubman put in a good performance especially Bouchier who looks like an exciting prospect for the future.       

put-it-up-again

Quote from: boojangles on October 04, 2010, 04:23:14 PM
I doubt Niall has been called into the senior panel to be honest because I don't think such a thing exists at the minute  ::) Although I may be wrong.

He might well be in for trials but I think Niall's time would be better served trying to settle into the u21 set-up this year and develop there in a less pressurized environment. There is no doubt he has potential and himself and Gearoid will make an excellent midfield for the u21's next year. One will need to learn how to defend though ;D

You picking the Under 21 team now Put it Up?? I'd hope there would be a few boys that would have a thing or 2 to say about that comment.

Yeah i got the managers job there last week. Apparently myself and Lawrence of Knockbride were the pick of the bunch. I hear you are being looked at for the minor job BooJ so keep your head up although if Myles can commit he might just pip you because of his experience.

I would be very surprised if the two McKiernan's aren't midfield next year. Two big men that can play a bit of ball. Cavan football should be looking to develop as many of them as possible in my opinion. But sure then again what do i know  :-[

If Gearoid is fit next year and not playing at centrefield for the 21's, I will walk around Drumalee in the nip with my dog, how is that for you  :D

I have no doubt the 2 Mc Kiernans are fine footballers but to be certain of the 2 of them manning the midfield positions at the start of October is a wee bit premature. You obviously have a better knowledge of the age group than me but there are 2 or 3 lads that I can think of who may have a say in that position.
IMO Gearoid and Niall are too alike to play alongside eachother. Both lefties who can field ball all day and provide the physical presence needed at Midfield but IMO every team needs a midfielder who can get up and down the field and do the hard running. Neither of these 2 boys will do that. They are both attack minded.
I have no doubt Gearoid if fit and everything else right will be 1st choice midfielder ( so no need to be walking round Drumalee naked- I wouldn't put your poor dog through that!! :D) but I think the Lacken man may work better in the Full- Forward line.

I said previously one of them may have to learn how defend and in fairness I am hardly picking the team now am I? Simply giving an opinion.

Thank god I don't have to go walking through Drumalee the last two nights have been sleepless with the thought of it ;) Who are the other fella's you think might have a say on it anyway? I can't think of too many natural fielders at that age group. Robert Maloney Dernham could be moulded into a hard-running type fielder but struggling to think of some after that.//

rodney trotter

Packie leddy will be involved aswell somewhere on that team probaly at midfield with niall mckiernan at ff as booj mentioned.. They have a very strong u21 team next year,o meara,dara tighe,shane gray,oisin minagh,g mckiernan,p leddy,nialll smith,barry reilly,mcclarey,maloney derham,niall mcdermot,kevin tierney,shane tierney,were all on this years panel as well as niall murray who wasnt available this year for u21 championship.

Terry Coyle

Agree totally about Maloney-Derham PIU, he actually has some pair of hands and is deceptively strong. The man will run all day long and could easily do box to box. In fairness it looks strong panel on paper, but where have we heard that before? Would Bouchier make the step up to Under 21 grade or is he still minor next year?

rodney trotter

bouchier is minor next year.. im not sure if he will play county minor next year, he plays a lot of soccer and prefers it too playing gaelic.

Westside

The U-21s are missing Givney and D. McKiernan and Bud Fitz, all of whom accounted for a lot of the scores Cavan got last year. Do they have the talent to replace them with up front to challenge in Ulster again?

At least nobody will have to face Michael Murphy at that grade again..

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up-again on October 05, 2010, 12:37:33 PM
Quote from: boojangles on October 04, 2010, 04:23:14 PM

I said previously one of them may have to learn how defend and in fairness I am hardly picking the team now am I? Simply giving an opinion.

Thank god I don't have to go walking through Drumalee the last two nights have been sleepless with the thought of it ;) Who are the other fella's you think might have a say on it anyway? I can't think of too many natural fielders at that age group. Robert Maloney Dernham could be moulded into a hard-running type fielder but struggling to think of some after that.//

Maloney Derham would be my ideal choice. Have been very impressed with him.He has grown into a big man and he his fitness looks excellent. He can defend and attack. After him, Colm Smith from Kingscourt could also do the job I'm talking about.
Packie Leddy has alot of potential but may be slightly lazy for midfield for that level.

put-it-up-again

Yeah I would be very interested in seeing him there myself now to be honest. I would be quite condfident that we will b competitive at that age group but I don't think we should be talking about the u21 team just yet. Let have the Christmas dinner first  ;D

Does anybody else think this is a stupid time of year to be running off the u21 championship? I am sure I have mentioned it in previous years but I just never understood it to be honest.

I see there is a lot of amalgamations too, obviously team's are struggling for numbers big time.

PhilsJemmysField

County board always seem to make a fairly coherent argument about when else can it be run. As in the springtime you have county U21 and end of sigerson etc. We all think it is a crap time but really hard to fit it in elsewhere. In fairness this year we cannot have any major complaints with the fixture plan. At least it looks like we should get the U21 run off fairly fast.

whats my name

champioship draw on tonight lets hope we get fermanagh again knowing our luck it will prob be down or tyrone