Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ollie

I think It's sad and disappointing that the majority of comments in the aftermath of the county final are expressing peoples delight in seeing Cavan Gaels being beaten rather than rejoicing in Kingscourts victory. I think this is a good example of the negative mentality and the begrudging element which seems to be installed in the mindsets of players and supporters in Cavan. For years Cavan Gaels have been successful in all age grades and probably will be for years to come. For this they have been subjected to hatred and hostility from all other clubs in Cavan. This ridiculous behaviour is a contributing factor in the deterioration of the standard of football in Cavan in both club and county level. It's been regularly documented that there's a lack of representation in recent Cavan teams from players from Cavan Gaels. Seeing as the majority of Cavan supporters would rather rub salt in their wounds in the wake of defeat and constantly bemoan the club at every opportunity for no good reason then it seems understandable why many of them choose not to play for their county. I for one don't blame them.

P.S. Well done Kingscourt. Your victory was fully deserved over the course of the year.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Welcome to the board Ollie, but who are these scoundrels that hate the Gaels? Are you a Gaels man yourself? I think everyone on the board has congratulated Kingscourt and the disagreements have been over whether the Gaels were hard done by by the ref. Everybody likes to see the underdog beat the favourite in every sport. I'm sure most GAA people in Antrim and Armagh want to see St. Galls and Cross beaten just for a change. It doesn't mean they don't respect these teams and their achievements.
To say you don't blame the Gaels players for not playing for Cavan is a good example of the negative mentality installed in the mindset of players.

Terry Coyle

Its funny you should say that CC1 - every club would be the same if they had that sort of success. I remember lads telling me about 98, 99 when we lost to Mullahoran and Kingscourt respectively. The opposition players were saying something similar. Also, lads told me about 2000 as well when we bet Gowna in a league final. A certain high profile midfielder said that they were only worried about the Championship medals in their pockets. Point is, it happens everywhere. But doesnt make it right either.

About the dressing room after the game - I am not sure exactly what was said as only panel members were allowed in. I would imagine anything that was said was in the heat of the moment and can be taken with a pinch of salt.

What I heard being shouted on Sunday was horrible to hear, and this was from people from other clubs. Our players were called every name under the sun. I wouldnt mind if they were just cheering Kingscourt on but they were thrashing on our lads the whole game. One quote was "Thank f**k none of those tramps lined out for county this year" There were kids beside me and this is what they grow up hearing. It was pure hatred. But I would like to imagine its a minority as well. You are always going to get some idiots in any walk of life. Maybe its the success we have had, maybe its the towny team. I dont know.

Terry Coyle

I think its to do with Irish society to be honest. We dont like seeing someone doing well, have a quick snipe at them and wish for their fall. Can be seen in business, sport, politics whatever area of life. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

boojangles

We'l move on but to summarise-

1. Jimmy did the Gaels no favours but didnt beat them.
2. He gave Kingscourt 1-9 in frees but still no evidence of any of these frees NOT actually being frees.
3. Cavan people in general are a jealous shower and always like to see boys being taken down a notch or 2 but this should not be mistaken with begrudgery, which is a different kettle of fish altogether.
4. Cavan Gaels will be back. Of that we can be sure.

Do we all concur??

In other news, the first of the trial games for the Cavan Senior team was held last night on the 3G pitch. Thats all I know. Anybody got any other info.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Yes let's move on and I agree with you completely TC.
So was this the Development Squad type games Boojangles? I never heard a word about them. Are there more planned do you know?

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 30, 2010, 01:22:00 PM
So was this the Development Squad type games Boojangles? I never heard a word about them. Are there more planned do you know?

I havent a clue TBH. Was jus chatting to a lad who was in at them. I'd assume there will be more games but I'd say it might just be trials this time around. The regionals didnt seem to work too well.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: boojangles on September 30, 2010, 01:29:03 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 30, 2010, 01:22:00 PM

I havent a clue TBH. Was jus chatting to a lad who was in at them. I'd assume there will be more games but I'd say it might just be trials this time around. The regionals didnt seem to work too well.
.................understatement.

Dougal

i heard some talk of 7-a-side games so they can get a start on narrowing down potential candidates.im surprised terry hasnt been on to ya yet booj,probably only looking at lads that arent still in the champo at the minute.i also heard a couple of weeks ago that terry and val went around all the clubs and got them to name their 3 best players,and name another few from other clubs that are good.

i see the minor replay is on after the junior final now.there was talk of the game being moved because the ladies first round of ulster club is on,on sunday.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'm not sure what a 7-a-side game would show.

Terry Coyle

Nice one we have moved on - was getting a bit tedious alright.

Never even knew there were trials on. Never agreed with trials though - players are not at their peak if they are out of Championship football for over a month.

Dougal

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2010, 03:52:07 PM
is there anymore lads in dublin eligible to play for cavan besides nesty smith.. i know its not a great thing to look at players from outside cavan but nesty was a decent addition and was better than a lot of our other forwards. I think there is a cahill fella from st brigids who can play with cavan,i think he was asked before when keoghan was manager. Maybe andrews could eb a help as he would know the dublin club players very well.. the county panel needs a big clear out from this years panel.

i overheard something about this at a match a few weeks ago.they seem to be looking into it,and if i heard right there is a dolan lad that plays for vals club,ballymun,who is quite good and elegible.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

whats my name

yea there is a cahill fella that plays with Bridget's Barry cahill i doubt he will come from playing senior football with Dublin to play with cavan although he is eligible to play with cavan as his parents are from mountnugent

Giveitlong

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 30, 2010, 02:03:43 PM
I'm not sure what a 7-a-side game would show.

To start with 7-a-side games is an inspired idea.

Especially when you are starting with a large number of players (which I assume Andrews is - after the big brainstorm a few weeks ago in the Kilmore). And of course the modern game has evolved much more into a game like 7s if we look at the way teams like Down, Tyrone, Kerry, Cork, Mayo have the patient build-up up to the middle third before the ball is released into the danger areas. But I don't think that's the main motivation.

It gives trialists lots more touches of the ball and possessions for Andrews to get a better sense of his ability.
In some of those pointless regional 15-a-side trial games, an unproven and unknown corner forward or wingforward might only get 5 touches of the ball, and then he's discarded and the chance is gone.
In a 7s game, if you work your socks off, you could have 30 touches of the ball.

Watching a player in 7-a-side tells you a lot:

- does he have all the key skills
- is he comfortable on the ball
- does he constantly make himself available to team mates, make intelligent (or stupid) runs
- can he tackle
- has he spatial awareness
- can he still make the right decision with the ball when he's wrecked, and work an opening
- (most importantly) and does he never ever give up, even when he is knackered, and fight hard for his team.

Because as sure as night follows day if Andrews sees any signs of laziness, then the guy who doesn't work in these trials won't make it to the next stage of the process.

So let's say Andrews is starting with a list of 120 names (it's quite possible), then this 7-a-side system where there's non stop action, is a great way of whittling it down to 60, and once that 60 is known then he can run a series of 15-a-side matches over 2,3 consecutive weeks and get a better sense of positions, of potential full backs etc.

Anyone who gets to this 7-a-side trial process, can never say he didn't get a chance.

And if you have all the key skills, and never ever give up even when you are knackered - then you have a chance.