Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

http://www.gaainfo.com/rankings/index.php ranks us  21st  ....Cork only beat the 18th ranked county after extra time and Down struggled against the 25th ranked one this year.   

Rank      County   Points
1       Cork   1822.45
2       Kerry   1768.88
3       Dublin   1733.71
4       Tyrone   1665.81
5       Down   1632.26
6       Mayo   1611.08
7       Meath   1585.08
8       Armagh   1564.94
9       Kildare   1546.13
10       Monaghan   1531.33
11       Galway   1517.11
12       Derry   1511.39
13       Donegal   1478.22
14       Wexford   1380.53
15       Louth   1374.62
16       Sligo   1367.57
17       Laois   1339.96
18       Limerick   1317.00
19       Antrim   1301.58
20       Tipperary   1266.01
21       Cavan   1259.42
22       Roscommon   1245.09
23       Westmeath   1234.28
24       Fermanagh   1227.81
25       Offaly   1220.40
26       Wicklow   1151.50
27       Longford   1128.21
28       Waterford   1052.46
29       Leitrim   1035.73
30       Clare   996.53
31       Carlow   929.46
32       London   644.23
33       New York   611.87
34       Kilkenny   409.35

Lifted this from another thread and it lifted my spirits.
1. We are not on the bottom.
2. We are 3 positions above Fermanagh

Denn Forever

The stats do lie. 

Cavan above Roscommon?  I assume championship wasn't taken into account.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 22, 2010, 01:17:53 PM
Any hope of a kingscourt win sunday :o,new champions would be good see although i cant see it happeneing. The gaels looked a lot better against mullahoran compared to the other matches they played in the championship. Looked like a team who were saving there best until championship final and a possible ulster run. If they do win sunday i hope they go on a decent run in ulster club,county team needs them to make an impact in ulster. it might also give the likes of duffy eamon reilly micheal lyng a boost and play county football. :-\

Just can't see it happening TBH. Cavan Gaels have reached a County Final by playing well for 10 or 15 minutes V Cuchulainns and maybe 20 minutes V Mullahoran. They definitely look like a team that has been playing well within themselves although I'd be suprised if the intensity hasn't doubled at their trainings since the shock they got in the Q-Final, coupled with the fact that Damien Cassidy is now involved. They have played 2 very tough challenge matches in the last few weeks V Oliver Plunketts and Ballyboden in Dublin so they could be coming to the boil just in time for another proper stab at Ulster.
They also avoid the big guns of Antrim/ Derry/ Armagh until the final as far as I know.
Cassidy could make a huge difference to them in Ulster if they win on Sunday.

put-it-up-again

I know a few of the Kingscourt lads and it is refreshing to see how serious they are taking all this. They are determined to give it a right good rattle and I think if a few other club's in Cavan maximised resources like they have then we could start making progress.

Fully agreed though that the Gaels will be seriously hard bet. But i think Kingscourt will go toe to with them for 45 mins or so before the likes of McClarey, Maloney, Graham and Co. come on to  take advantage of tired legs. I'd expect to see one or two changes to the Gaels team from the last day out.

On a side note, the Intermediate semi between Drumlane and Bailieborough is now in Mullahoran on Friday. I'll also avoid getting into a conversion about Bird from us. He is some footballer, I will leave it at that.

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up-again on September 22, 2010, 04:26:15 PM
I know a few of the Kingscourt lads and it is refreshing to see how serious they are taking all this. They are determined to give it a right good rattle and I think if a few other club's in Cavan maximised resources like they have then we could start making progress.

Fully agreed though that the Gaels will be seriously hard bet. But i think Kingscourt will go toe to with them for 45 mins or so before the likes of McClarey, Maloney, Graham and Co. come on to  take advantage of tired legs. I'd expect to see one or two changes to the Gaels team from the last day out.

On a side note, the Intermediate semi between Drumlane and Bailieborough is now in Mullahoran on Friday. I'll also avoid getting into a conversion about Bird from us. He is some footballer, I will leave it at that.

They are in a Senior Championship final for the first time in 11 years, there would be something seriously wrong if they weren't taking it serious.

I know its probably disappointing for Bailieboro and Drumlane to be moved from Breifni Park but I think they have made the right move there. Could not get over how soft the field was on Saturday night. Its also after taking another few bad soakings since then.

put-it-up-again

Ah no but there approach all year has been very professional. Their manager has them very organised and I would say they are one of the best run clubs in Cavan at the minute in my opinion.

Yeah but I can understand why its been moved with the final on Sunday. Just don't understand why they didnt go for it Saturday during the day somewhere. Not the biggest fan of the lights in Mullahoran.

Terry Coyle

Nothing gets by you Bojangles.. Hopefully both towny teams do the business this year! Who is manager of Kingscourt by the way?

boojangles

Quote from: Terry Coyle on September 22, 2010, 05:35:36 PM
Nothing gets by you Bojangles.. Hopefully both towny teams do the business this year! Who is manager of Kingscourt by the way?

Dudley Farrell.

BallyhaiseMan

Fair play to the Stars,
Remember playing them up in Kingscourt 3 years ago in the league,and they looked like a team destined for the intermediate championship,they were that bad.
Some turn-around,but unfortunately i cant see them beating the Gaels this year.

anglocelt39

Any life out there, it is County final weekend after all, you'd be hard pressed to guess it from how quiet the board has gone, and as for the online version of the Celt..........
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

boojangles

The online version of the Celt is very bad, can ya not get the whole version online or whats the story? In fairness though, Paul Fitzpatricks summary of the big game is spot on, its a pity he didn't write more reports instead of leaving them to the ex-sports editor.

anglocelt39

Just seen the thread with Fitzpatricks preview, hopefully the Stars will view this as Tipp viewed the hurling final last year. they will need to. Depending on how the Shamrocks go tonight sure we might make the trip next weekend to offer Booj some encouragement.

Thought of posting to that Cavan GAA for the Gramatically Gifted but didn't want to tempt fate..........
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Lawrence of Knockbride

Is the intermediate final definitely on next weekend? If Drumlane get through I reckon they'll have played championship 5 weeks on the trot.

boojangles

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on September 24, 2010, 07:23:13 PM
Is the intermediate final definitely on next weekend? If Drumlane get through I reckon they'll have played championship 5 weeks on the trot.

Intermediate final is on Sunday the 10th of October. Drumalee V Drumlane.

put-it-up-again

Drumalee bet us by 9 to 5. Brutal game to be honest. Sexton was fairly generous with a few free to Drumlane while I think he gave us one free inside 50m in the whole game. It took the piss when he booked one of our lads for telling him what to do  ;D

We were too one dimensional and relied on Bird for scores. There was no Plan B what so ever. Drumlane obviously learned from us more than we learned from them after the first game as they sat a man in front of Bird, sometimes two.

Turning to Sunday I hope Kingscourt give a good account of themselves. I have yet to see a good game in Cavan this year to be honest so I hope that changes this weekend.