Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

But he'llhave Terry to guide him.

Hopes for the new management are that they attend the various championship games in Junior, Inter and Senior.

Have a good idea of the panel and let the members of this panel know well before Christmas so players can get their heads around this and start preparing mentally (we know there should be no training).

Ideally have a panel of 30 which includes players playing in Sigerson.  That would mean probably about 25 for McKenna cup and league. 

Keep faith with players who have played during the winter and don't parachute the "stars" in when they become available.

Be safe in Div. 3 after 4 games so we can start preparing for the championship.

Roll on 2011.

First challenge will be how they deal with Ray Cullivan.

Roll on 2011.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lawrence of Knockbride

I spoke to a number of Longford people after Eamon Coleman left and they said he was an absolute disaster.

full moon

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 01, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
Quote from: full moon on August 01, 2010, 08:24:58 PM
Well I think the hype about Mickey G being the new county manager should be put to bed today. Looks like he won't even get Ballyhaise out of the group this year.

Pathetic, and Killeshandra missing Declan McKiernan. Quite clearly have the best panel of players IMO, he isn't getting the best out of them.

Also shows what an utter waste of time League football is in this county.

Cheer up Full Moon. Sure weren't Meath bet so all us not lost. Didn't realise you were from Ballyhaise.

Missed this. I  sort of follow their fortunes but have moved and I've been at another club for several years. Sorry to disappoint BM... ;D

Dougal

Quote from: full moon on August 26, 2010, 08:46:43 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 01, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
Quote from: full moon on August 01, 2010, 08:24:58 PM
Well I think the hype about Mickey G being the new county manager should be put to bed today. Looks like he won't even get Ballyhaise out of the group this year.

Pathetic, and Killeshandra missing Declan McKiernan. Quite clearly have the best panel of players IMO, he isn't getting the best out of them.

Also shows what an utter waste of time League football is in this county.

Cheer up Full Moon. Sure weren't Meath bet so all us not lost. Didn't realise you were from Ballyhaise.

Missed this. I  sort of follow their fortunes but have moved and I've been at another club for several years. Sorry to disappoint BM... ;D

redhills so??

any word from the meeting tonight?was talking to a club secretary today,he basically said that his club was going to vote them in just because that's who has been suggested.sounded like they would vote in mickey mouse if the county board suggested him.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Dougal

Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Denn Forever

Hopefully they be present in Breffni over the weekend.

Be on the lookout.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

anglocelt39

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on August 26, 2010, 08:45:10 PM
I spoke to a number of Longford people after Eamon Coleman left and they said he was an absolute disaster.

Haven't always seen eye to eye with LOK but in fairness I think he's got it in one there. When results go awol the manager is a disaster, what we'd give to have Eamon on Board now. I've carefully watched the postings from our Cavan Gaels representative on board as I get the impression he is close to the action. His suggestion that players won't listen to Terry Hyland says it all really. There are very few lads kicking ball around Cavan at the minute that would leave anybody in awe but they wont listen to Terry (not perfect I'm sure but his record is as good as anybody over the last three years within the county), the same lads weren't keen on TC and didn't think a whole pile of Donal Keogan beforehand. Who the hell would they listen to given that Mickey Harte isn't going to be available anytime soon and Canavan has better ways of building his profile at inter county level.

For whatever reason we have a long history of players with not a lot to show taking exception to managers (you can go all the way back to PJ Carroll and include Liam Austin in between before we get to the last few appointments. Best of luck to the new team but in the end they will only get so much out of what's available.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Louth Exile

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 26, 2010, 11:34:40 PM

Be on the lookout.

You might have to look around the edges!! Thats another one I forgot....
Remember walking into a senior championship match in Knockbridge and there was Andrews, on his own, not a single Louth man with him, in a spot off the edge of the hill where you can't see past the 50 yard line at the other end of the field. What he was looking out for I don't know, because he couldn't see the game  :D
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

BallyhaiseMan

My memories of Andrews would be positive,mainly due to Cavan's good display against Tyrone in 2001,when we were completely written off.
However Louth Exile is a very good poster,so his post about Andrews set up with Louth would certainly worry you.
Terry Hyland from first hand experience is a very knowledgeable fella who knows his football and is passionate about Cavan Football so its not a bit of harm to have him involved.

Im guessing and i have nothing to back this suggestion up
The likes of Pete McGrath/Pillar Caffrey etc whom were linked were offered,but had no interest in taking the position of Cavan manager, a position which is a poisoned chalice.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 27, 2010, 12:22:14 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 26, 2010, 11:34:40 PM

Be on the lookout.

You might have to look around the edges!! Thats another one I forgot....
Remember walking into a senior championship match in Knockbridge and there was Andrews, on his own, not a single Louth man with him, in a spot off the edge of the hill where you can't see past the 50 yard line at the other end of the field. What he was looking out for I don't know, because he couldn't see the game  :D
Maybe he was watching players on the other side of the 50 yard line. And then maybe he moved to a different spot when you weren't looking.
I was with you on the food before the match but now I'm losing faith.
It's done now so here's hoping and remaining optimistic at least until that first night in January.
My next reaction to the appointment will be after I see who's selected at MF in the opening game.
I'll be in Breffni on Saturday standing in the corner entrance to the stand where I can only see as far as the 20 metre line. ;)

anglocelt39

Louth Exile, some of those stories are bordering on truly shocking but I would be very interested in hearing the other side of those yarns, which there always are. Do you have any interests to declare in the matter of Val? Nobody is pretending he is Footballs answer to Brian Cody but I'm hopeful he can help us make some progress IF the joint team has a bit of success in getting lads to commit fully
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Terry Coyle

I dont think joint managers work full stop. We need one man calling the shots. But best of luck to them. Some of the items Louth Exile mentions are very worrying but for some of them (the food for example) I am sure are handled by some other party within the management team. I am sure Val himself (nor any manager for that matter) is ringing up and organising food. But point taken that he should have been on top of it and making sure someone was appointed to that task.

Any word on a trainer then? If they got Flanagan in that would be a real boost and for me would be as good as getting in a Pete McGrath type manager.

BigMac

Im not sure if it is as bad as if it was just Terry on his own, but still not ideal. I had a feeling it was going to be Terry from a good while ago and I wasnt very optomistic. Now that it has happened, it is time to get behind them and support them. Begrudging, or giving out or players refusing to play for them won't do any good for Cavan football. Ultimately we all have the same goal, to be successful, be that getting promotion, winning Ulster etc. This might not be the ideal scenario, but to try and achieve that goal the only way is if everyone involved pulls together and supports the management. Votes of no confidence etc wont do any good at this stage. Heres hoping they can surprise us all and bring a bit of success, or even a little less disappointment than were used to!

Swadman

Quote from: BigMac on August 27, 2010, 10:42:15 AM
Im not sure if it is as bad as if it was just Terry on his own, but still not ideal. ...Now that it has happened, it is time to get behind them and support them. Begrudging, or giving out or players refusing to play for them won't do any good for Cavan football. Ultimately we all have the same goal, to be successful, be that getting promotion, winning Ulster etc. .... to try and achieve that goal the only way is if everyone involved pulls together and supports the management. Votes of no confidence etc wont do any good at this stage. ...
I agreed with a lot of that.  Reports say they have been appointed for a 3 year term, does this mean anything these days? They should be given that time at least - it will take it to sort out the mess that is Cavan at the minute.  It is said that this management team are in it for the love of the game and not the money - good to hear - I hope our better players follow that lead.

beer baron

Gaels win in controversial circumstances after being 6 down at half time  :o