Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

According to RTE Radio 1 news it is going to be announced that Andrews and Hyland are going to be annouced as joint managers. Not sure what to make out of that to be honest.

Dougal

its still up to the clubs to decide whether they want him or not.not overly impressed,thought we could do better.although i do rate andrews high enough as a manger.maybe hyland will learn some tactics over the next few years if they get voted in
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

PhilsJemmysField

Not sure about the "Joint" Bit but it looks official barring the clubs want to vote NO

A Cairde,
At the August management meeting of Cavan County Board  which took place tonight. A unanimous decision was taken to recommend the names of Val Andrews and Terry Hyland as  joint managers for our senior County team.

Cavan County Board are convening a county committee meeting for Thursday 26th August at 9pm in the Hotel Kilmore in order to seek formal ratification by our clubs for this pairing.

This email is being sent on behalf of County secretary Liam McCabe.

--
Is mise le meas,

Deaglan Mac Giolla Choille (Declan Woods)
Oifigeach Caidreamh Poiblí         
Coiste Breifne Uí Raghallaigh      
Paírc Kingspan Bhreifne    
An Cabhan    

cogito

Taking Andrews after he flopped with Dublin minors this year? A team he was working with since they were about 14?

Breffni_Yank

Does that mean Hyland will leave the u21 position?

Am i right in saying they were together the last time we got to an Ulster Final

whats my name

if anyone wants to see an improvement in cavan football vote against them at your club meetings. why would we give the managers job to a man that already had it and done nothing makes no sense. from what i hear a lot of the players are not going to play if Hyland got the job

Denn Forever

Terry, we don't think you are good enough to do the job alone  so we'll bring in someone who has done the job before so you can learn some things that you will need.

It may work so here hoping but if I was Terry, I don't know how I'd feel.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Blue06

Heres a recap of Cavan under Val andrews 10 years ago from what I remember.

Appointed Spring 99 half way through league campaign replacing Liam Austin

Won a couple of league games in Div 2b. 
Earlier losses made promotion impossible.

In championship , made a spirited late comeback with 2 goals to almost beat Derry in Casement.
Ref played on for draw and Brolly equalised.
Got a serious hiding in replay.

1999/2000

Div 2b, 3 losses but a massive (4-5 goals) win in Wexford in the last match secured promotion on points difference.  This was  followed by poor SF loss to Offaly in Mullingar.

2000 championship v Derry in Breffni still remains the worst(there have been contenders since) Cavan performance ever IMO.

2000/2001

Andrews does an overhaul of the team bringing in quite a few new faces.
e.g. McCrudden, Galligan, Jackson, Finbar Reilly.
Positive league performance in Div 1 ending with 3 - 1 - 3 record (7pts)

Championship wins over Down & Monaghan get us to an Ulster Final.
Could have beaten Tyrone, IMO if Forde was left CHB rather than following Stephen O'Neill into
the corner we would have won. (We are all experts after the event).

Went out tamely to Derry a few weeks later in the first year of qualifiers.

Then the messing started. (open to correction on this).  A couple of East Cavan clubs who had no representation on the county panel (and aggrieved about it) asked silly questions of Andrews at the meeting where he was being ratified (and rightly so after making considerable progress with his new team- not McHughs-) for another year.  The ratification went to a vote and Andrews got a large majority but then resigned because he was unhappy that everyone wasn't behind him.

IMO at the time he wanted out because the Dublin job had become available. 

boojangles

Quote from: Blue06 on August 24, 2010, 12:19:45 PM
Heres a recap of Cavan under Val andrews 10 years ago from what I remember.

Appointed Spring 99 half way through league campaign replacing Liam Austin

Won a couple of league games in Div 2b. 
Earlier losses made promotion impossible.

In championship , made a spirited late comeback with 2 goals to almost beat Derry in Casement.
Ref played on for draw and Brolly equalised.
Got a serious hiding in replay.

1999/2000

Div 2b, 3 losses but a massive (4-5 goals) win in Wexford in the last match secured promotion on points difference.  This was  followed by poor SF loss to Offaly in Mullingar.

2000 championship v Derry in Breffni still remains the worst(there have been contenders since) Cavan performance ever IMO.

2000/2001

Andrews does an overhaul of the team bringing in quite a few new faces.
e.g. McCrudden, Galligan, Jackson, Finbar Reilly.
Positive league performance in Div 1 ending with 3 - 1 - 3 record (7pts)

Championship wins over Down & Monaghan get us to an Ulster Final.
Could have beaten Tyrone, IMO if Forde was left CHB rather than following Stephen O'Neill into
the corner we would have won. (We are all experts after the event).

Went out tamely to Derry a few weeks later in the first year of qualifiers.

Then the messing started. (open to correction on this).  A couple of East Cavan clubs who had no representation on the county panel (and aggrieved about it) asked silly questions of Andrews at the meeting where he was being ratified (and rightly so after making considerable progress with his new team- not McHughs-) for another year.  The ratification went to a vote and Andrews got a large majority but then resigned because he was unhappy that everyone wasn't behind him.

IMO at the time he wanted out because the Dublin job had become available.

It was the Ballinagh delegate who first proposed a vote of No confidence in Andrews, this I believe was seconded by the Kingscourt delegate. It went to a vote which Andrews won but not by a big enough margin so he walked.

IMO there has to be one Boss. Andrews record with us previously was good and he seemed to be taking us places. We really could have won that day in 2001 against a team that would be All-Ireland champions in 2 years.
Cavan supporters have to realise what level we are at and basically that the likes of Pete Mc Grath, Joe Kernan, Canavan etc would more than likely not touch us for any amount of money.

Louth Exile

Only just heard the news about Andrews!!!!

May I offer my condolensenses to all the good GAA folk of Cavan and may the lord have mercy on your footballing souls.

I heard he wasn't the only other past manager considered. Cavan finances must be in awful shoite, or is it just a complete lack of imagination!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

anglocelt39

As the Vietnam vet said "Deja vu all over again", although I suppose when you go through external managers at the rate we have there wil come a stage when you have to go to somebody for seconds. And as regards the joint managerial dream ticket haven't we been there before with Mcilkennon/Cassidy and Keogan/Grimley. I never worked out who was responsible for what in the latter case so I hope to god we can at least get that right this time around.

Positives:

Somebodys appointed and can get cracking on the job before the championship is over;
Knows a bit about the Cavan scene and at least had the gumption to stand by his principles last time out;
In fairness to Hyland he's done a bit in Ulster at Club and County underage level (well relative to anybody else in the county) and he should know the situation on the ground.
Can't be any worse than last management team (can it, please say so.........)

Negatives:

Not a huge record of achievement at inter county level since he was with us;
Had a stronger panel available to him last time around and, as another poster stated, we took some desperate hidings in the championship. In fairness, did a clean up and got us to an Ulster final we left behind.

Once again none of us are expecting any major miracles, it would just be nice to see a team lining out that plays with a bit of passion, pride etc. etc. etc.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Before I give my opinion id like to know who else had thrown their hat in the ring. For example, was Pete McGrath interested? Was taking Hyland under his wing a part of taking the job. Did we get the best man who would agree to having his role split with Hyland? I would be very concerned if this was put into the "contract" and if a top class manager was passed over just so Hyland could be included. Andrews is an ok manager but one thing that alway stuck in my mind with him is he had his teams flying in the league, totally showing his hand and then got hammered in the championship (with the exception of the one year he got to an Ulster final). He never had a plan B. He did seem to get the best out of some of the younger lads which is going to be important. Will he be able to get the superstars in the Gaels to play? But my overwhelming feeling on this is we made the role fit the manager instead of the otherway round and in any walk of life that doesn't work. I wonder will the clubs ask who else had their names in the hat?

BallyhaiseMan

Val Andrews/Terry Hyland joint managers
and hopefully Pat Flanagan as trainer(if Dessile Dolan snr as we expect will get the Westmeath job)
id take that,it will be a massive improvement over the past 2 regimes(not that,thats saying much mind you).

handballer09

Quoteand hopefully Pat Flanagan as trainer(if Dessile Dolan snr as we expect will get the Westmeath job)

You're thinking of a different Pat Flanagan entirely.