Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

According to the irish news today he is.
Is the current U-21 manager.

What sort of job has he done with Mullahoran?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

BallyhaiseMan

I seen Mullahoran against Belturbet Sunday night,and i wasnt impressed by either to be honest.
Mullahoran should have had the game won at half time,Philip Brady destroyed Damien O Reily at FF,and later Paul went in there and caused havoc with his aerial power,but he missed two goal chances.
Belturbet dominated the second half and Mullahoran were lucky to scrape a draw from a brilliant Enda O Reily free deep into injury time.
i dont like saying it,but i dont think the pick of the two teams would stand a chance against the Gaels,it was dire stuff.

PhilsJemmysField

Apparently Stephen King and Hyland have amalgamated and are going for the Cavan Job together. Have any of you lads heard anything about that ? 

BigMac

Oh God PJF please say your joking. This is a backwards step for cavn football if its true. They are stuck in the tactical mindset of the 90's, and football has moved on a lot from that. From personal experience with Hyland, his training methods and tactical approach to a game are basic and outdated.
Also I dont believe in having two men in charge, there needs to be one boss and one selector, or coach, or whatever title you want to give him. But this pairing is not the way to go.

Terry Coyle

Quote from: BigMac on July 29, 2010, 10:13:25 AM
Oh God PJF please say your joking. This is a backwards step for cavn football if its true. They are stuck in the tactical mindset of the 90's, and football has moved on a lot from that. From personal experience with Hyland, his training methods and tactical approach to a game are basic and outdated.
Also I dont believe in having two men in charge, there needs to be one boss and one selector, or coach, or whatever title you want to give him. But this pairing is not the way to go.

Totally agree BigMac - this is a massive leap backwards, never mind a step backwards. I could imagine a lot more players not committing to the panel if this was the case.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Terry Coyle on July 29, 2010, 11:09:44 AM
Quote from: BigMac on July 29, 2010, 10:13:25 AM

Totally agree BigMac - this is a massive leap backwards, never mind a step backwards. I could imagine a lot more players not committing to the panel if this was the case.

Well lads, if you think Hyland is bad wait until you get a look at King. In fact, I would say that if Hyland teams up with King he is doing himself serious harm in terms of his chances as I think at this stage most people in the county realise King is a bluffer with hardly any of the traits required for management. If you don't believe me just ask anyone from Belturbet, Killeshandra or Ballymchugh.

BigMac

I dont know anything about Stephen King or his management ability, but if he his bad as everyone is saying then hes not good.
Unfortunaley I think the men at the top of the county board are are not great either and they will just see the top surface, ie what he did with Kileshandra and his exploits as a senior player for cavan 15 years ago, even though most people who are in the know with Kileshandra will know their success was probably mostly down to Junior McKiernan. Because of this I can see them doing the crazy thing and appointing him and Terry.
Also with terry, people looking from the outside, ie county board, will just see, intermediate with lavey, ulster final with lavey, ulster final with U-21s, and leinster final with juniors. They wont sit down and annalise the fact that A) Lavey were very close to winning the intermediate having been beaten in the final by a point or two the previous year, so it wasnt really terrys genius that brought about that win. Then getting to the Ulster final was down to the players massive commitment in 2 games and not Terrys management skills. Anybody who was at these games will agree that laveys 2nd half performance and commitment against Fanad gaels i think was amazing, but this was down to the players desire to win.
With the U-21s, his massive failures in the final to handle Murphy is almost forgotten. We've been saying for years about the great minors we have, so getting to an Ulster final shouldnt really be a massive surprise. (not taking away the achievement from the lads).
With the Juniors, I feel it was basically getting a bunch of very good footballers, and letting them out to play. I know one of our dedicated posters was on the junior panel and I think he will agree.....
I hope I am wrong but something tells me that the County Board are only going to look at the surface - the records, and not the reason for these records, and appoint the two boyos. Really hope im wrong.
The county board could do a lot worse than have a good read through this thread.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: put-it-up on July 29, 2010, 07:35:39 PM
Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on July 29, 2010, 09:20:55 AM
Apparently Stephen King and Hyland have amalgamated and are going for the Cavan Job together. Have any of you lads heard anything about that ?

Very much doubt that is true.

What is the story with nominations anyway? Every other county seems to be pressing on with the search, yet we have heard nothing.

Why wouldn't it be true? Terry Hyland has the best managerial record within the county and Stephen is the last Cavan man to lift an Ulster title. Look what Fergal O'Donnell has done in Roscommon.

I was chatting to the Uncle on the phone over the weekend and he said he has heard very little about nominations and that. I imagine we will only really find out who wants it when the County Board set a dealine for nominations

Swadman

The County chairman was at the Swad v S/Gaels game last Sunday and somebody who was talking to somebody who was talking to him (Gospel so) said there were 4 or 5 names in the hat, Pete McGrath not a front runner, CB likely to favour a Cavan man (men).
MYLES, I will try a few boys I know in K/shandra to see what they may know (just so you can rest easy - or top yourself now)   

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Swadman on July 29, 2010, 08:51:01 PM
The County chairman was at the Swad v S/Gaels game last Sunday and somebody who was talking to somebody who was talking to him (Gospel so) said there were 4 or 5 names in the hat, Pete McGrath not a front runner, CB likely to favour a Cavan man (men).
MYLES, I will try a few boys I know in K/shandra to see what they may know (just so you can rest easy - or top yourself now)   

You don't need to make enquiries. I know that King is mad for the job. You may remember the last time he went he was not even nominated by Killeshandra.

In fairness, if Pete McGrath has thrown his hat in the ring and the County chairman doesn't consider him a "front runner" then we really have the lunatics running the asylum!

Denn Forever

Should King not be looking for the minor or u21 job first if he does want to go into IC management - although I have never heard a good word about him I am afraid.

That worked well for Donal!
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

It was said at the CB meeting on Monday night that no manager would be in place before the next meeting which is in September.So they are definitely not going to be rushed into it. They also discussed a scouting team to watch all the Champship games. Where have I heard that before??

Denn Forever

Another draw according to the Arva Website. 

What price on a Gowna Mullaghoran draw?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 30, 2010, 10:14:33 PM

Yes Denn scored a free with the last kick of the game.Thats 2 games Belturbet should have won had they booted the ball into the stands. Probably a fair result going on the 2nd half.

Drumgoon bet the Bridge well.
Drung bet Ballymachugh by a goal.

beer baron

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 30, 2010, 10:14:33 PM

7/1 on pp