Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Coyle

OK right we will step back a bit here before everything gets out of hand - I may have crossed the line with that comment so i'll hold my hand up for that. Bad morning today.

Firstly, the root of the problem was when we were placed in to the intermediate. We didnt win the junior championship the year before so we should not be in the intermediate championship. Now I dont know the numbers that we had but after the Senior game on the Friday night I think we had lost a few more which would have resulted in a lot of minors playing. Sure we could have fielded a team but executive was trying to save a lot of minor players from playing in the intermediate. One or two is ok but the numbers they were talking was unacceptable. We can only blame ourselves for this debacle anyway..

With regard to the younger lads learning from it I think it was more of a case of protecting them from a humiliation which may affect their football/confidence in the future.

put-it-up

Apology accepted.

Look I don't think you should have been put into the Intermediate either - Personally I could never understand why Swanlinbar were never put up considering they were the beaten finalists.

Anthing more than 5 minors wouldn't be fair on the young lads, I get that, but you just would have gotten more respect from me if you had of fulfilled the fixture regardless of the result or at least given sufficent notice. If you had of gotten the spine of the team together you would have been fine.

I just think the issue of your second team needs to be tightened up completely. I mean we played you in the first round of the league and you had Cormac Nelligan and Martin Dunne playing. Like that is just wrong and unfair.

Terry Coyle

I can understand that frustration and I actually thought it would have been discussed here more. That was the first league game wasnt it and I dont think the seniors were out that weekend.

Few problems here though:

1. Are you talking about changing the rules because we have better players eligible to play second team? Just because a team starts doing well doesnt mean rules should be altered.

2. Any rules change would affect other teams as well, we are lucky that we have the numbers (most of the time :) ) but how would this affect other teams? Not very well I would imagine.

I am guessing your most pressing concern was with the fact that some weekends our seconds is full of senior players, and other weekends its not. Unfortunately, its the luck of the draw from what I see. What better way can we do it?

put-it-up

How can you justify Cormac Nelligan (man of the match in the 2009 senior county final) and Martin Dunne (the SFC top scorer) lining out with the seconds though?

I mean they are going to be nowhere near the Intermediate championship team when that time comes so you are stopping the lad that will have to play come championship from playing some league games.

That defeats the whole purpose of a second team in my book.

Terry Coyle

Well we are always going to put out our best team. I dont think there is any shame in that. Other players have plenty of games to prove themselves before championship.

And anyway neither are going to be guaranteed first team players this year. Cormac carrying few injuries and is always  injury prone, and Martin is away and will do well to hold down a regular spot. McClarey is going to be there or there abouts when he is back.

Terry Coyle

Could someone get me a price on Kerry/Tyrone/Cork/Kildare accumulator? Cant get it here at work.

Denn Forever

Is there not a moratorium on playing minors on senior (i.e. over 18 teams) teams so that burnout is minimised?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 28, 2010, 06:05:03 PM
Is there not a moratorium on playing minors on senior (i.e. over 18 teams) teams so that burnout is minimised?

Nope only that you can't play 2 grades above your own - Under 16s can't play Seniors
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 28, 2010, 06:08:32 PM

Nope only that you can't play 2 grades above your own - Under 16s can't play Seniors

Is U21 not counted as a grade? If not, why not?

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 28, 2010, 06:32:44 PM

well yea Under 16s can't play Under 21s and Seniors

Dougal

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 28, 2010, 06:52:34 PM

i think his point was why can minors play senior,when it's two grades above them.if it wasnt his point,can someone answer it for me.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: Dougal on July 28, 2010, 06:54:45 PM

i think his point was why can minors play senior,when it's two grades above them.if it wasnt his point,can someone answer it for me.

I reckon it's because Under 21s is classed as an Adult competition

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on July 28, 2010, 06:54:45 PM

That was my point alright.

FermGael

Lads what sort of job is Chapman doing this weather in Cavan?
Not to sure which club he is managing
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Celt_Man

Quote from: FermGael on July 28, 2010, 07:57:29 PM
Lads what sort of job is Chapman doing this weather in Cavan?
Not to sure which club he is managing

He is over Mullahorn...