Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Konica

Well I'll wait for the advert and dust off an old CV for the County Board and see what they say.

beer baron

Took a trip to Sean shields today,asked for few prices in intermediate,Ballyhaise,drumlane and Killeshandra are all 3/1,Cootehill and Drumgoon 6/1 if anyone interested.

Swadman

I heard on "da wireless" (NOT Northern Sound) that Jim McGuiness is a shoe-in for the Donegal job and Pete McGrath is indeed a front runner for Breffni

The Konica

Quote from: Swadman on July 21, 2010, 08:31:34 PM
I heard on "da wireless" (NOT Northern Sound) that Jim McGuiness is a shoe-in for the Donegal job and Pete McGrath is indeed a front runner for Breffni
Well there's a chance it's true then if you heard it somewhere else.
Surprised that Pete is interested in the job. Wonder what his motivations are?
Love of the game?

cavanmaniac

I had completely forgotten about Pete McGrath. If he's willing I'd say he has a serious point to prove to his own county board and can you imagine the sparks if he came up against Down and them being managed by the man who beat McGrath himself to the job.

Interesting angles aside though, McGrath is well respected but hasn't managed senior for some time, and achieved most in the 'pre-negative tactics era' as, eh, nobody but me calls it. 1994 is a world away from 2010 in gaelic football terms.

I recall him having a lot of fallouts with Down players too - there was always lads leaving and coming back to the panel throughout the year in dribs and drabs, so I don't know if our primadonnas with take to him. And he showed a lot of foolhardiness by staying in charge way too long up there. His U21 performances show that he's still in touch with the game to a degree though. Just not certain he fits the bill at this particular time even though I can't say why exactly.

The Konica

Cons
- Been out of the game for quite a while at senior level
- Tactically game has changed a lot
- Has he the knowledge or knows someone to do the physical training?
- Not from Cavan

Pro's
- Very well respected
- An Ulster man, knows Ulster football very well
- Authoritarian & Disciplined
- Experience handling all kinds of personalities
- Has been there and worn the t-shirt, knows what it takes
- A lot of knowledge and experience the county could gain from
- A point to prove to people in Down
- Immensely dedicated & hard working
- Not from Cavan

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Konica on July 21, 2010, 09:00:46 PM
Cons
- Been out of the game for quite a while at senior level
- Tactically game has changed a lot
- Has he the knowledge or knows someone to do the physical training?
- Not from Cavan

Pro's
- Very well respected
- An Ulster man, knows Ulster football very well
- Authoritarian & Disciplined
- Experience handling all kinds of personalities
- Has been there and worn the t-shirt, knows what it takes
- A lot of knowledge and experience the county could gain from
- A point to prove to people in Down
- Immensely dedicated & hard working
- Not from Cavan

An added con is that he never showed any interest in the league when with Down and I think the league is where we need to win some matches to build up confidence. Is he a journeyman or is he a genuine guy that will demand success? I think if it were between McGrath and say Canavan I'd lean towards a punt on Canavan - I think his more recent exposure to the big time would carry more weight with the players. Still, he may be a good option and I certainly would not rule him out.

beer baron

Quote from: put-it-up on July 21, 2010, 10:35:40 PM
Quote from: beer baron on July 21, 2010, 06:35:15 PM
Took a trip to Sean shields today,asked for few prices in intermediate,Ballyhaise,drumlane and Killeshandra are all 3/1,Cootehill and Drumgoon 6/1 if anyone interested.

Any Idea on Bailieborough BB?

No theyre just the ones i asked for off the top of my head,few pound to collect in there tomorrow so ill ask if i remember

Celt_Man

Quote from: beer baron on July 21, 2010, 10:42:04 PM

No theyre just the ones i asked for off the top of my head,few pound to collect in there tomorrow so ill ask if i remember

Hope you're lifting it off your fellow clubman and not giving any custom to those stone throwers on Bridge Street!! ;) ;)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

beer baron

God no the only time the stone throwers get a visit is for 1st goalscorer bets-they double the odds if your player gets a 2nd! ;D

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 21, 2010, 10:48:02 PM

Hope you're lifting it off your fellow clubman and not giving any custom to those stone throwers on Bridge Street!! ;) ;)

Don't think he's a Meath man Celt Man,if its Macs your talking about?? I believe he's from Maghera.

Pete Mc Grath could bring alot to Cavan IMO but I would be suprised if he's interested. I'd be even more suprised if Canavan is interested.

Did our Cootehill, Kilinkere and Bailieboro posters hear they are now playing in a 3 team group as Cavan Gaels have pulled out of the Intermediate championship.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on July 21, 2010, 11:10:57 PM

Don't think he's a Meath man Celt Man,if its Macs your talking about?? I believe he's from Maghera.

Pete Mc Grath could bring alot to Cavan IMO but I would be suprised if he's interested. I'd be even more suprised if Canavan is interested.

Did our Cootehill, Kilinkere and Bailieboro posters hear they are now playing in a 3 team group as Cavan Gaels have pulled out of the Intermediate championship.

Well the pair of bucks working in there would be stone throwers!!

Aye Boojangles heard that there this evening - puts more pressure on Sunday's game...

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 22, 2010, 12:03:25 AM
News to me. Don't hear as much as I used too now that I'm living up in the big smoke.

Will two teams stil get to come out of the group though? Gaels team would have been very poor. Most of that team is in the US and to be honest I could never understand why they were put into the competition in the first place.

Aye 2 teams still come out of the group

PhilsJemmysField

Gaels have to regrade players between teams for the championship because their second team plays in a "real" championship not a special one. They were apparently told they could regrade the players at the CCC meeting b4 championship.The Gaels submitted the regrading then a member of CCC kicked up storm said by rule they should have been regraded at February meeting. So at this moment it looks like the town team cannot field without minors. All a bit harsh in a way but I would suspect that the Gaels will still take the field on Saturday in some form

The Konica

Quote from: boojangles on July 21, 2010, 11:10:57 PM

Yes.

I can't see Canavan having any interest at all in it, no idea where his name came from.