Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 20, 2010, 03:47:23 PM
Well then I hope some people in the CB read on here - or maybe they don't know what the interweb is yet  ;D

Don't bet on it - look at the state of the County website and the boyo they have involved too....  It's embarrassing  :-[ :-[
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 20, 2010, 04:00:46 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on July 20, 2010, 03:52:47 PM
Well then I hope some people in the CB read on here - or maybe they don't know what the interweb is yet  ;D

Don't bet on it - look at the state of the County website and the boyo they have involved too....  It's embarrassing  :-[ :-[

Is that Mister Hoganstand you're on about? 'Crack' hasn't come back since the last I questioned him  ;D

Aye that would be him alright - sure he'd be busy putting together his application for the Senior job ;D :D :D

Funny I reckon I know what sort of a boyo he is without ever meeting him.... :P :P
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: The Konica on July 20, 2010, 02:48:37 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on July 20, 2010, 10:51:46 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 20, 2010, 08:34:49 AM
What about your own Tierney BHM? Too early?
Good to hear that there are some options at MF in your opinions. There just has to be better than Walsh and Mulvey. I would say no to Tierney and no to Niall Smith also, at this stage.

With all due respect Kevin couldn't get a look in with the u21's this year. A fantastic talent but the next two years playing at that level will help him no-end. I would leave him alone until then.

Does anyone know if any date for applications or anything has been set? I think if we are going to go outside the county we will have to identify our man and move quick. Going to be a serious manager turnover in this Province this year. Antrim, Derry, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and arguably Fermanagh. I think if any manager has a choice between and us all of them, maybe bar Fermanagh, he would choose the other option.

I'd bet that you're the only one in the county thinking like that.

You can guarantee that not a sinner on the County Board are that proactive. They're waiting for Sports Tracker to do it for them again.

Prediction time for Championships?

Senior: Champions:                       Darkhorse:
Intermediate Champions:               Darkhourse:
Junior Champions;                         Darkhorse:

Don't let us hold ya back Celt Man??

Cavan Gaels Kingscourt
Ballyhaise Cootehill
Shercock Shannon Gaels

put-it-up

Cavan Gaels - Kingscourt
Ballyhaise - Drumlane
Shannon Gaels - Shercock

And if your man applies for the Senior Job, I will prob wet my trousers laughing!

PhilsJemmysField

Dark Horses

Senior Darkhorse:   Belturbet with a couple of the new lads they have they may finally catch the gaels

Intermediate Darkhourse:  Kill Big man is playing out of his skin at midfield last few weeks and they have 2 scoring forwards starting winning games outside the home patch in the league as well

Junior Darkhorse: none as 3 teams come out of the group then it will be between Shannon Gaels, Swad and Shercock plus one at the quater finals so winner to come out of these 3

put-it-up

The Konica

That 'could' be a very good appointment.

I'd like to see a structure put in place though if he does come in so you're not left in the same position as this year and no Cavan man 'trained up' or no one from Cavan as an understudy to him.

There's a whole load of other things but that's one reservation....

Blue06

The only negative I can think re McGrath is that he is part of Sportstracker and he
recommended Tommy Carr to our CB last time round. :-\

beer baron

Quote from: Blue06 on July 21, 2010, 11:50:55 AM
The only negative I can think re McGrath is that he is part of Sportstracker and he
recommended Tommy Carr to our CB last time round. :-\

Could've been all part of his evil plan to get the job 2 years later  :P

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Konica

Quote from: put-it-up on July 21, 2010, 11:52:43 AM
What do you mean 'could'?

I think Pete would command respect and as he coached an u21 side to an AI Final recently it shows he is still in touch with the modern game. Also agree that the 'next' Cavan manager if you like could learn an awful lot from being in the set-up, while managing say the u21's or even minors at the same time.

The key for me, no matter who is appointed, is that the candidate is not interested in the position for financial gain. You would hope he is interested in the job because he wants to be in IC management and he wants a challenge.

If they want money it has to be earned. Alternatively do the lotto  ;D
(I'm not judging Pete, I think he himself won't be the problem if there is one)

'Could'....
Well what I mean is there's two ways to appoint a good manager ... the right way and the wrong way!

Right way -
Put a good structure around him, provide him with support, ask him what he needs, get him to direct the county's affairs, not just manage senior players, get his advice on the U21's, planning structure etc.
Make sure he's accountable to the County Board, make sure he is supported by the CB. etc. Even through tough times.
Make sure there is a succession plan - who is learning from him - Brady? Graham? Hyland?

Wrong way -
Meet him. Discuss Finance. Appoint him. Milk the Media plaudits. Wash your hands of him.

boojangles

Quote from: The Konica on July 21, 2010, 12:10:30 PM

I think Pete would command respect and as he coached an u21 side to an AI Final recently it shows he is still in touch with the modern game. Also agree that the 'next' Cavan manager if you like could learn an awful lot from being in the set-up, while managing say the u21's or even minors at the same time.

The key for me, no matter who is appointed, is that the candidate is not interested in the position for financial gain. You would hope he is interested in the job because he wants to be in IC management and he wants a challenge.

'Could'....
Well what I mean is there's two ways to appoint a good manager ... the right way and the wrong way!

Right way -
Put a good structure around him, provide him with support, ask him what he needs, get him to direct the county's affairs, not just manage senior players, get his advice on the U21's, planning structure etc.
Make sure he's accountable to the County Board, make sure he is supported by the CB. etc. Even through tough times.
Make sure there is a succession plan - who is learning from him - Brady? Graham? Hyland?

Wrong way -
Meet him. Discuss Finance. Appoint him. Milk the Media plaudits. Wash your hands of him.

Konica I'm not sure where you'v come out of or if your even from Cavan but I have to say you've brought some excellent points and debate to the thread of late with the above post being an example.
Keep it up and lets just hope some people in power are on the same wave length as you.

The Konica

Quote from: boojangles on July 21, 2010, 02:09:59 PM
Quote from: The Konica on July 21, 2010, 12:10:30 PM

'Could'....

Right way -

Wrong way -

Konica I'm not sure where you'v come out of or if your even from Cavan but I have to say you've brought some excellent points and debate to the thread of late with the above post being an example.
Keep it up and lets just hope some people in power are on the same wave length as you.

Thank you Boojangles ... much appreciated.
I would hope that Cavan County Board are forward thinking, but we will wait and see.

Perhaps I should throw my name in the hat?!
:)

The Konica

Quote from: put-it-up on July 21, 2010, 04:59:46 PM

Sure if the groundsman from Breffni sees fit to then you are certainly entitled to! Are you a Cavan Man? I sense some Breffni blood in there ;D

You lost me there PIU?

The Konica

Ha ha ... really? Wow! Any one can go for it then!

Sadly only about 1/4 Blue Blooded ... but I know a little about the Breffini County workings, having watched Cavan for years now.
Of course you can't tell the tale of Ulster football without understanding the role of Cavan in the GAA until the 50's.

I just think it's about time you made a return to the top teir and challenged for the USFC again, but you as a county have lost your way, have been by-passed and forgotten how to win and I'm just throwing out a few pointers in case someone of influence is reading and it helps or sparks an idea for them.

It's nothing other than that and I sincerely hope you don't take offense at my comments, me not being a Cavan man!