Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

Quote from: beer baron on July 18, 2010, 01:13:14 PM
Quote from: Swadman on July 18, 2010, 12:01:18 PM
Lots of posts about who the new manager should be. Local or outsider? Proven record or new talent?
YES these are important questions but we could get Gus Hiddink and his entire professional back room staff and not see any improvement for a couple of years. "Sorry Gus, you can't buy in players, you have to take them from the Cavan Accademy. I'm afraid this is what you have to pick from" After year 1 there will be posts here and on the H.S, that Gus has got to go, sure he's not even a Cavan man. After year 2 (despite securing Div 2 status) the C.B. sacks Gus but wishes him all the best in his new career as a GAA pundit on RTE.
I'm joking of course, Gus would be back on the plane 5 mins after finding out that he could only use the players within the county . THE QUALITY IS NOT THERE.   
[/b]

This i find a ridiculous statement,confidence breathes confidence and the more confidence players get the better they perform.The likes of Louth,Sligo and Roscommon at the start of this season i'd say the majority of people woyld've said the quality is not there but they've done alright for themselves and have uncovered a few gems along the way,i know i for one knew little of david kelly other than his kerry performance and penaly miss last year and now he's one of the most feared corner forwards around!
I agree, a good manager is very important. Hard job to be respected by players and at the same time to encourage, cajole, motivate them to their best. Thats why the list of good ones is a short list.
I think you mean "success breathes success" and I agree it does. Over the last few years Cavan have had minor teams who, though not successful,  should have gained confidence from good performances. Why have we not built on that?
P.S. Roscommon didn't fear Kelly yesterday.

PhilsJemmysField

Even before we get a County Manager the thing we need right now is for a couple of teams to step up and complete at the senior championship level. The Gaels being so dominant and then in turn showing very little interest in the county setup is not good. Can any of us see any team finally stepping into the frame at semi final stage in the Senior championship with any chance of giving them a game let alone beat them. In the group stages if Lavey or Ramor compete with them that is a start. This is even after the Gaels have lost numerous players to a combination of injury and the States. At intermediate at least there is a feeling that BallyHaise, Killeshandra, Drumlane and Cootehill are beatable by a number of the other teams if they slip up at all, especailly as excluding Ballyhaise the other contenders are tight enough senior squads. Junior is probably somewhere between Shercock, Shannon Gaels and  Swanlinbar with the Gaels the up and coming team if they build on league form. 

Somehow even before we get a county team we need a strong competitive County Championship at all levels. So it does not matter that much who we have at County level till the clubs pull the finger out and give a county manager something to work with. We will be second best. 

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on July 19, 2010, 03:10:42 PM
Even before we get a County Manager the thing we need right now is for a couple of teams to step up and complete at the senior championship level. The Gaels being so dominant and then in turn showing very little interest in the county setup is not good. Can any of us see any team finally stepping into the frame at semi final stage in the Senior championship with any chance of giving them a game let alone beat them. In the group stages if Lavey or Ramor compete with them that is a start. This is even after the Gaels have lost numerous players to a combination of injury and the States. At intermediate at least there is a feeling that BallyHaise, Killeshandra, Drumlane and Cootehill are beatable by a number of the other teams if they slip up at all, especailly as excluding Ballyhaise the other contenders are tight enough senior squads. Junior is probably somewhere between Shercock, Shannon Gaels and  Swanlinbar with the Gaels the up and coming team if they build on league form. 

Somehow even before we get a county team we need a strong competitive County Championship at all levels. So it does not matter that much who we have at County level till the clubs pull the finger out and give a county manager something to work with. We will be second best.

Agree with you completely. In fairness Intermediate and Junior is competitive but Senior is the problem. Ramor have been going brutal this year and don't see them doing much at all. It really is hard to see anyone pushing them close. Castlerahan have never realised there potential and Kingscourt been going well but championship is another thing.

Any word back home regarding the job and who is interested or is it still just gossip? I am sure a few of ye boy's are in the loop.

Myself and four other Cavan men ranging between 19-30 had a great debate out here last night about the Cavan team. I'm not too familiar with the college set-up but ideally this is the team we thought should start the McKenna Cup. A few new faces in and around a few experienced heads. I think many of the lads that have been tried in the McKenna in the last few years have really been thrown in the deep end and a few lads that have been in and around the set-up need to be playing to help them settle in. I coudnt be arsed talking about the team we picked but here was a raw blue-print we came up with.

O'Meara
Hannon Darren Smith Crotty/Duffy (Cant remember which one....Gaels anyway)

Flanagan Chesty Dermot Sheridan

Gearoid McK/Givney

Niall Smith Nesty Lyng

Mackey Cullivan Johnston 

BallyhaiseMan

Breffini Yank
Many of the lads you named should definetely be on the panel,
Karl Crotty
Gavin Duffy
Chesty
(havent seen the Gaels 1st team this year,so i dont know if any of them are gone abroad)

Gearoid McKiernan and David Givney is the best midfield partnership available to us,seeing as Trevor Crowe refuses to join the panel.If the Lacken tank did join(which we are all hoping the new manager might be able to achieve) possibly switching Gearoid to wing forward/third midfielder would be perfect,and let Trevor horse around in the centre.
Niall Smith of the Gaels and county under 21's?
terrifically talented player,but he doesntr have the size or physique to play at this level yet.

We need big men scattered all over the team,
Michael O Reily(Sherock) was one i was seriously impressed with this year.
Big lad well over 6'2,mobile,good on the ball and a great fielder.
Darren Smith deserves a trial at full back,as does Sean McCormack of my own club in my opinion.
a big full forward 6'2 plus would also be nice.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on July 19, 2010, 10:17:38 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 19, 2010, 10:03:36 PM
Breffini Yank
Many of the lads you named should definetely be on the panel,
Karl Crotty
Gavin Duffy
Chesty
(havent seen the Gaels 1st team this year,so i dont know if any of them are gone abroad)

Gearoid McKiernan and David Givney is the best midfield partnership available to us,seeing as Trevor Crowe refuses to join the panel.If the Lacken tank did join(which we are all hoping the new manager might be able to achieve) possibly switching Gearoid to wing forward/third midfielder would be perfect,and let Trevor horse around in the centre.
Niall Smith of the Gaels and county under 21's?
terrifically talented player,but he doesntr have the size or physique to play at this level yet.

We need big men scattered all over the team,
Michael O Reily(Sherock) was one i was seriously impressed with this year.
Big lad well over 6'2,mobile,good on the ball and a great fielder.
Darren Smith deserves a trial at full back,as does Sean McCormack of my own club in my opinion.
a big full forward 6'2 plus would also be nice.

With regards to Crotty and Duffy I am not so sure BHM. Are we just picking them because they are from the Gaels? By all means they deserve a chance but are they really that good? I also haven't seen the Gaels first team play this year I am afraid. But I know Smith may be small but boy god his pace is frightening and I would surely have him on the panel to offer something different. Imagine him coming onto you with ten minutes to go - defenders nightmare. Would need to improve his upper body strength gradually but i think he possesses an attribute that could be utuilized in certain situations.

I can get ya a big forward BHM, he just won't to be any good!

Ya smart hoor PIU  :D , you know what i meant.
Paddy Byrd from your shamrocks should be in there aswell PIU,hes a much better option than some of those on it,
Darryl McConnell is back with Drumlane this year and playing great stuff from what im told,if hes sticking around in Ireland,He should be an automatic on any panel.
Its time to look at John Tierney again,he was outstanding the 3 times ive seen him play this year,He beat Ballyhaise on his own in the first league game of the year.With the likes of players with an injury past like Tierney id leave him out of collective county training until February/March to protect him.

boojangles

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on July 19, 2010, 04:36:49 PM
Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on July 19, 2010, 03:10:42 PM

Agree with you completely. In fairness Intermediate and Junior is competitive but Senior is the problem. Ramor have been going brutal this year and don't see them doing much at all. It really is hard to see anyone pushing them close. Castlerahan have never realised there potential and Kingscourt been going well but championship is another thing.

Any word back home regarding the job and who is interested or is it still just gossip? I am sure a few of ye boy's are in the loop.

Myself and four other Cavan men ranging between 19-30 had a great debate out here last night about the Cavan team. I'm not too familiar with the college set-up but ideally this is the team we thought should start the McKenna Cup. A few new faces in and around a few experienced heads. I think many of the lads that have been tried in the McKenna in the last few years have really been thrown in the deep end and a few lads that have been in and around the set-up need to be playing to help them settle in. I coudnt be arsed talking about the team we picked but here was a raw blue-print we came up with.

O'Meara
Hannon Darren Smith Crotty/Duffy (Cant remember which one....Gaels anyway)

Flanagan Chesty Dermot Sheridan

Gearoid McK/Givney

Niall Smith Nesty Lyng

Mackey Cullivan Johnston
How about your own club man James Clarke Breffni Yank, would he be worth a shot?? Anybody else from Kilinkere worth a shot?

Have to agree with BH Man, John Tierney is playing unreal stuff. Beat us a few weeks ago too.Even for 30 minutes he would bring so much to any team.

BallyhaiseMan

To be honest PIU,
Tierney is in good shape,he has no excess body fat on,and hes built like a horse, hes obviously been eating the weights.

Lawrence of Knockbride

What about your own Tierney BHM? Too early?
Good to hear that there are some options at MF in your opinions. There just has to be better than Walsh and Mulvey. I would say no to Tierney and no to Niall Smith also, at this stage.

PhilsJemmysField

Michael O Reilly from Shercock was he on u21 panel this year ? 

Dougal

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on July 20, 2010, 11:21:15 AM

he was,came on against down,and maybe came on at some stage against monaghan.ive seen very little of him,but hes big and seems to be a good footballer.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

put-it-up

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on July 20, 2010, 11:21:15 AM

Scored a goal against down. Has all the raw attributed needed to be a decent midfielder. He can catch and is a decent fielder and can kick the occasional score.

The Konica

Quote from: put-it-up on July 20, 2010, 10:51:46 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 20, 2010, 08:34:49 AM
Good to hear that there are some options at MF in your opinions. There just has to be better than Walsh and Mulvey. I would say no to Tierney and no to Niall Smith also, at this stage.

With all due respect Kevin couldn't get a look in with the u21's this year. A fantastic talent but the next two years playing at that level will help him no-end. I would leave him alone until then.

Does anyone know if any date for applications or anything has been set? I think if we are going to go outside the county we will have to identify our man and move quick. Going to be a serious manager turnover in this Province this year. Antrim, Derry, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and arguably Fermanagh. I think if any manager has a choice between and us all of them, maybe bar Fermanagh, he would choose the other option.

I'd bet that you're the only one in the county thinking like that.

You can guarantee that not a sinner on the County Board are that proactive. They're waiting for Sports Tracker to do it for them again.

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on July 20, 2010, 10:51:46 AM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on July 20, 2010, 08:34:49 AM

With all due respect Kevin couldn't get a look in with the u21's this year. A fantastic talent but the next two years playing at that level will help him no-end. I would leave him alone until then.

Does anyone know if any date for applications or anything has been set? I think if we are going to go outside the county we will have to identify our man and move quick. Going to be a serious manager turnover in this Province this year. Antrim, Derry, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and arguably Fermanagh. I think if any manager has a choice between and us all of them, maybe bar Fermanagh, he would choose the other option.

Well going on form since then I think Kevin Tierney has shown that he should have got alot more than a look in. Still young but a fine prospect. He has added a right foot to his game also.

PIU Paddy Bird IMO is a fine footballer with alot going for him, only negative is he may need to keep the head up more and pass it about.

So what about the Championship this wkend?
Ballyhaise and Bridge has been moved to Redhills, which Im sure BHMan is not happy about :D
Whats the other match-ups?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Gowna v Denn which must mean that Mullahoran v Belturbet is the other game in that group. Lacken v Castlerathan too. The Junior Group A has the top 4 teams from the league in the same group. Who have you got Boojangles?

put-it-up

Fixtures

Thursday, 22nd July 2010 @ 8pm
Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship
Lacken v Castlerahan
Venue: Kingspan Breffni Park
Referee: Michael Lee
Linesmen: Brian Seagrave & Harry Conaty

Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship
Killeshandra v Drumgoon
Venue: Max McGrath Memorial Park, Redhills
Referee: Noel Mooney
Linesmen: Kieran West & Ollie Henry

Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship
Munterconnacht v Cornfean
Venue: Sheelin Park, Ballymachugh
Referee: Tony Gregory
Linesmen: Tony McDonald & Robbie McDermott

Kildallon v Mountnugent
Venue: St. Felim's Park, Drumalee
Referee: Ciaran McCarville
Linesmen: Noel Mooney & Packie Smith

Maghera v Shercock
Venue: St. Anne's Park, Bailieboro
Referee: John Emmo
Linesmen: Raymond Kelly & Eugene Tormey

Friday, 23rd July 2010 @ 8pm
Lavey v Cavan Gaels
Referee: MG Brady
Linesmen: James Clarke & Pat Clarke

Ballinagh v Ramor Utd
Venue: Dr Plunkett Park, Kilnaleck
Referee: Jimmy Galligan, Killygarry
Linesmen: Paddy Carroll & Margaret Farrelly

Drumlane v Ballymachugh
Venue: Crowe Memorial Park, Lacken
Referee: Jimmy Galligan, Lacken
Linesmen: Ronan Bannon & Martin Brady Lacken

Knockbride v Drung
Venue: Hugh O'Reilly Park, Cootehill
Referee: Jim Giblin
Linesmen: Ciaran McCarville & Declan McCabe

A.C.F.L. Reserve Division 3 Round 15
Mullahoran v Cornafean
Referee: Tony McDonald

Saturday, 24th July 2010 @ 8pm
Denn v Gowna
Venue: Ballinagh GAA Grounds, Ballinagh
Referee: Martin Sexton
Linesmen: Raymond Tynan & Brian Crowe

Cuchulainns v Kingscourt
Venue: Ramor Utd Park, Virginia
Referee: Packie Smith
Linesmen: Seamus O'Connor & Phil Devine

Ballyhaise v Butlersbridge (Game at 6.30pm)
Venue: Max McGrath Memorial Park, Redhills
Referee: Raymond Tynan
Linesmen: Kieran O'Reilly & Jim Hyland

Baileborough v Cavan Gaels
Venue: PJ Duke Park, Stradone
Referee: Brian Seagrave
Linesmen: Michael McCann & Jimmy Galligan Killygarry

Drumalee v Kill
Venue: Athletic Grounds, Crubany
Referee: Chris McCaffrey
Linesmen: Thomas Doonan & Cormac Geoghegan

Arva v Corlough
Venue: Paric na gCead Uladh, Ballyconnell First Ulsters
Referee: John Cassidy
Linesmen: Stephen McKiernan & Padraig Gilheaney

Sunday, 25th July 2010
Redhills v Blackwater Gaels (Game at 2.30pm)
Venue: New Inns, Lavey
Referee: Joe McQuillan
Linesmen: Eugene Tormey & Tony Gregory

Crosserlough v Killygarry (Game at 4pm)
Referee: Gerry Sheridan
Linesmen: MG Brady & Noel Mooney

Belturbet v Mullahoran (Game at 7.30pm)
Referee: Raymond Kelly
Linesmen: Raymond Tynan & Michael Lee

Sunday, 25th July 2010 @ 2.30pm
Cootehill v Killinkere
Referee: Seamus O'Connor
Linesmen: John Emmo & Harry Conaty

Sunday, 25th July 2010 @ 5.30pm
Shannon Gaels v Swanlinbar
Venue: St Patrick's, Corlough
Referee: Ollie Donohoe
Linesmen: Stephen McKiernan & Paddy Archibald

Thursday, 29th July 2010 @ 8pm
Ballinagh v Lavey
Referee: Ollie Donohoe

Thursday, 29th July 2010 @ 8pm
Mountnugent v Corlough
Venue: Rory O'Moore Park, Belturbet
Referee: John Emmo

Maghera v Templeport
Venue: Athletic Grounds, Crubany
Referee: Tony Gregory

Friday, 30th July @ 8pm
Denn v Belturbet
Referee: Michael Lee

Friday, 30th July @ 8pm
Ballymachugh v Drung
Venue: St. Felim's Park, Drumalee
Referee: Seamus O'Connor

Drumgoon v Butlersbridge
Venue: Hugh O'Reilly Park, Cootehill
Referee: Jimmy Galligan - Lacken

Friday, 30th July @ 8pm
Kildallon v Arva
Venue: St Patrick's, Corlough
Referee: Jimmy Galligan - Lacken

Munterconacht v Shannon Gaels
Venue: O'Connell Park, Drumlane
Referee: Brian Seagrave

Saturday, 31st July 2010 @ 8pm
Castlerahan v Killygarry
Referee: Raymond Kelly

Drumlane v Knockbride (Game at 6.30pm)
Referee: MG Brady

Cootehill v Bailieboro
Venue: O'Raghallaigh Park, Kinscourt
Referee: Noel Mooney

Killinkere v Cavan Gaels
Venue: Sheelin Park, Ballymachugh
Referee: Brendan Sweeney

Laragh Utd v Drumalee
Venue: Ballinagh GAA Grounds, Ballinagh
Referee: Martin Brady - Ballinagh

Cornafean v Swanlinbar
Venue: Pairc na gCead Uladh, Ballyconnell First Ulsters
Referee: Raymond Tynan

Sunday, 01st August @ 2pm
Lacken v Crosserlough
Venue: Our Lady of Lourdes Park, Mullahoran
Referee: Martin Sexton

Ramor Utd v Cavan Gaels
Venue: Lavey GAA Grounds, Lavey
Referee: Ciaran McCarville

Kingscourt v Blackwater Gaels (Game at 6pm)
Venue: PJ Duke Park, Stradone
Referee: Packie Smith

Cuchulainns v Redhills (Game at 4pm)
Referee: Gerry Sheridan

Gowna v Mullahoran (Game at 7.30pm)
Referee: Jimmy Galligan - Killygarry

Sunday, 01st August @ 2pm
Killeshandra v Ballyhaise