I'll throw his name out there again ... Aidan O'Rourke

Is he involved with Kildare this year??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

The Konica

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 17, 2010, 06:11:25 PM
Quote from: The Konica on July 17, 2010, 06:07:55 PM
I'll throw his name out there again ... Aidan O'Rourke

Is he involved with Kildare this year??
Yes, replaced Grimley, was with Sigerson for a few years previously.

Recent AI winner, good pedigree, hungry to do well in his first job, intelligent and good football brain.

You'll hear a lot worse suggestions mentioned before the manager is picked!

cavanmaniac

If what you say about him is true Konica, I think that's a suggestion that fits the bill.

mylestheslasher

On this occasion I have to say I am in favour of a Cavan man doing the job. The chances of getting a good outside man are low given that anyone with ambition looking at our outfit must realise they would be taking a huge gamble with their reputation. The risk is you get some boyo that just wants the money and doesn't give a shit. I think a Cavan man would at least have the desire, a real genuine desire, to succeed. So who is there within the county...

Ciaran Brady
Terry Hyland
Mickey Graham
are the obvious ones but there must be some others worth considering

I'm thinking of guys with some measure of playing experience, some amount of managerial experience - someone out there in the county must be worth a punt.

anglocelt39

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 17, 2010, 05:30:14 PM
Good to see his Breffni experience didn't prevent Tommy Carr from getting straight back into "work" with the GAA - he is involved in the commentary on RTÉ radion from Croker today!!

there I was thinking I was the only man angry that this bloody expert banging on about the failures of players and sidenline mentors or Dublin, Armagh etc. etc. Tommy, seems to me Cavan was no more than an income source to your less than proven ability
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

whats my name

what about jim mcguiness from what i have seen of the donegal under 21's they wernt lacking in drive or motivation they had a set game plan and stuck to it he might be inline for the donegal job but if he doesnt get it he would be worth a go in my opinion.

tierworker blue

Quote from: Celt_Man on July 17, 2010, 05:30:14 PM
Good to see his Breffni experience didn't prevent Tommy Carr from getting straight back into "work" with the GAA - he is involved in the commentary on RTÉ radion from Croker today!!

He was largin' it up on the wireless the day after the Cork match. He sounded a lot chirpier than I felt.

The Konica

Quote from: whats my name on July 18, 2010, 01:53:33 AM
what about jim mcguiness from what i have seen of the donegal under 21's they wernt lacking in drive or motivation they had a set game plan and stuck to it he might be inline for the donegal job but if he doesnt get it he would be worth a go in my opinion.

Good suggestion too.
It does look like he might end up taking Donegal, well probably early to tell that, but he's the front runner.
I don't know much about his management style, but you're right. Based on the U21's he'd not be a bad bet.

The Konica

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 17, 2010, 08:25:10 PM
If what you say about him is true Konica, I think that's a suggestion that fits the bill.

I'm not his agent or anything - though it probably sounds like it!!!
I am just giving him as an example of someone or the type of person Cavan should be aiming for.

Of course, it does matter who it would be if they were an outsider, as selectors you'd have one or two Cavan natives, like Brady or McCabe who would know the lie of the land and yet have respect from the players. 

The Konica

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 17, 2010, 08:43:53 PM
On this occasion I have to say I am in favour of a Cavan man doing the job. The chances of getting a good outside man are low given that anyone with ambition looking at our outfit must realise they would be taking a huge gamble with their reputation. The risk is you get some boyo that just wants the money and doesn't give a shit. I think a Cavan man would at least have the desire, a real genuine desire, to succeed. So who is there within the county...

Ciaran Brady
Terry Hyland
Mickey Graham
are the obvious ones but there must be some others worth considering

I'm thinking of guys with some measure of playing experience, some amount of managerial experience - someone out there in the county must be worth a punt.

Myles I agree with where you're coming from.
My only point about going with an internal appointment is IMO it takes someone who has been there and done it at senior intercounty level to bring the team to that stage. If you're only experience is as a club manager or selector with a poor county how can you know what it takes to win (not just compete) at Intercounty?

In other words if you've never been with a successful intercounty team, or management - how do you know or would you know what it takes to reach that level or understand the areas Cavan are falling down in?
The IC scene has changed so much on a whole load of levels and areas that unless you've been involved in the past 10 years you've no comprehension of the level it is now at.

I think you have VERY valid points about Cavan being used or viewed as a 'cash cow', but I think that's something you need to manage or prevent, and partly done by picking the manager with the best character.

You're other point about Cavan people having a more or better love for the jersey or desire to win more is also valid, but I'd hope that whoever would take the job on would be honest enough and certainly the selectors if they were from Cavan they'd make sure that was the case. Also, if you brought in a good manager for 2, 3 years and they were succesful, you'd expect one of the selectors would be groomed to take over then.

Where as look at the situation now. Who is there to take over from TC? Who were selectors with him that could take the reigns? If there is someone what have they learned that has been worthwhile?

I'm not saying your wrong. I'm just posting a counter argument.

Swadman

Lots of posts about who the new manager should be. Local or outsider? Proven record or new talent?
YES these are important questions but we could get Gus Hiddink and his entire professional back room staff and not see any improvement for a couple of years. "Sorry Gus, you can't buy in players, you have to take them from the Cavan Accademy. I'm afraid this is what you have to pick from" After year 1 there will be posts here and on the H.S, that Gus has got to go, sure he's not even a Cavan man. After year 2 (despite securing Div 2 status) the C.B. sacks Gus but wishes him all the best in his new career as a GAA pundit on RTE.
I'm joking of course, Gus would be back on the plane 5 mins after finding out that he could only use the players within the county . THE QUALITY IS NOT THERE.   

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Swadman on July 18, 2010, 12:01:18 PM
Lots of posts about who the new manager should be. Local or outsider? Proven record or new talent?
YES these are important questions but we could get Gus Hiddink and his entire professional back room staff and not see any improvement for a couple of years. "Sorry Gus, you can't buy in players, you have to take them from the Cavan Accademy. I'm afraid this is what you have to pick from" After year 1 there will be posts here and on the H.S, that Gus has got to go, sure he's not even a Cavan man. After year 2 (despite securing Div 2 status) the C.B. sacks Gus but wishes him all the best in his new career as a GAA pundit on RTE.
I'm joking of course, Gus would be back on the plane 5 mins after finding out that he could only use the players within the county . THE QUALITY IS NOT THERE.   

Do you think that the players we have on our panel this year were properly motivated and playing at the top of their own game? I don't. Thats what a manager is for and that is where our most recent manager failed.

beer baron

[/b]

This i find a ridiculous statement,confidence breathes confidence and the more confidence players get the better they perform.The likes of Louth,Sligo and Roscommon at the start of this season i'd say the majority of people woyld've said the quality is not there but they've done alright for themselves and have uncovered a few gems along the way,i know i for one knew little of david kelly other than his kerry performance and penaly miss last year and now he's one of the most feared corner forwards around!

The Konica

Quote from: beer baron on July 18, 2010, 01:13:14 PM
[/b]

This i find a ridiculous statement,confidence breathes confidence and the more confidence players get the better they perform.The likes of Louth,Sligo and Roscommon at the start of this season i'd say the majority of people woyld've said the quality is not there but they've done alright for themselves and have uncovered a few gems along the way,i know i for one knew little of david kelly other than his kerry performance and penaly miss last year and now he's one of the most feared corner forwards around!

Great post (and proper attitude too).

The Konica

Quote from: put-it-up on July 18, 2010, 04:52:45 PM
One other point. It is mid-July and no cavan player has kicked a championship ball yet. i think that is bollix and it certainly doesn't help county players or others trying to force there way onto the panel. Sharpness and that competitive in my opininon come from constantly playing - not training over and over again playing challenge matches with the county.

I spoke with Sean Cavanagh two weeks ago and he was looking forward to playing for club in the championship that weekend. Today he won a Ulster final. If playing for his club is ok in Tyrone then it should be ok here.

Name dropper!
;D

(Agree with the rest of it tho!)