Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Yes he is, unofficially though as the CB didn't want him as a club manager and county minor manager.

But he is the manager, although maybe not in name anymore. He just gives instructions from behind the dug out in Ballyhaise instead of the sideline,

put-it-up

Quote from: crack on July 11, 2010, 12:14:08 AM
Being that you are from Ballyhaise I am not surprised you back M.Graham. What ever you say he has done at club level he has been in charged of the Cavan minors for three years and what has he returned to the county, SOD ALL.
I was in Clones last Saturday and feck me the whole team were devoiid of any game plan best he stays with Ballyhaise but if rumors are correct he is leaving you guys to take over the Cavan gales senior team to get a senior title onto his CV for it must be the easiest way to pick up a senior tilte without being smart. My opinion the man has not got it and watching the minors last week answers that, forget this person for Cavan management and move on.
Why not as a group discuss what they all have to offer and leave your club shirt out side for a while. ::)

I dont think u read a previous post of mine or maybe through your ignorance you chose ignore it. In three years, Graham delivered two semi-finals with teams that were nowhere near as 'talented' as teams that went before him. Keoghan won jack-shit at minor and Jody Clarke was a disaster. From what I seen, Graham organised his teams and got them working hard. More importantly no matter where he has gone - players seem to want to work for him. Christ if our seniors could do that it would be a massive improvement. Obviously he has made mistakes, that is how you learn. And don't forget Fermanagh were happy to take Mal O'Rourke after he won a Cavan title with the Gaels and I think everybody would agree he has maximised resources up there. Maybe Graham didn't pick you for a minor team and you are bitter but your critiscism of him is hard to justify. I think it is too soon for him to be the Cavan Senior manager but at least he has a CV that boasts a few honours.

I met Jason Ryan and have seen him upclose in postmatch interviews. I mentioned it on this thread before but I would love to get him down here. A real love and passion for the game and a desperate desire to win. Another man that makes players want to work their socks off for him. Finding a character like him or Kevin Walsh though is easier said than done.

put-it-up

Quote from: full moon on July 11, 2010, 01:28:24 AM
Yes he is, unofficially though as the CB didn't want him as a club manager and county minor manager.

But he is the manager, although maybe not in name anymore. He just gives instructions from behind the dug out in Ballyhaise instead of the sideline,
\

Haha, is he Cavan's first Director of Football  ;D

put-it-up

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 11, 2010, 12:28:26 AM
Am I the only one who saw this coming? I didn't post about the game all week because I discerned a "f**k it let's have a go, you never know what might happen" attitude growing here on the board. I didn't want to lower the mood but Jesus, I never saw us getting out of Cork without at least an 11-13 point trimming; what happened in the end is way worse but none the less surprising for it. Not trying to look wise after the event but it's just how I saw it, Cork are light years ahead of our lads, after the Fermanagh no-show it was clear Tommy hadn't a bull's notion on the line or hadn't learned a thing from the manner of the loss to Antrim the year before. Sure, the players love him and will back him, just like they did everywhere he managed - he has a reputation as a "tough disciplinarian" and I thought as much myself but talk to any former players of his and they'll tell you he's a players' man through and through, top to bottom. I'd say he gave fair latitude to our lads, a dangerous method in Cavan if not madness. In hindsight, although I was initially positive, he was a terrible appointment and has made us no better if not worse.

Forget about Mickos and John O'Mahonys and all those types. Micko has become a sort of sad parody of himself in recent years and isn't even looking for work in big counties any more while others are lads who take a certain level of professionalism, structures, ability etc. for granted, they're not men for building from scratch as is required in Cavan. What we need to unearth is a Jason Ryan or a Kevin Walsh type, lads with a fresh take and genuine ability and an ability to get the best out of their resources. Unfortunately, they wouldn't have impressed the likes of posters on here like 'crack' but luckily for Wexford and Sligo they knew better.

Expect to hear reams of shite in the coming days about Cavan not having the players yadda yadda yadda bollix, we weren't supposed to have them in 1995 either before getting to two Ulster finals in three years (winning one) and I'm sure before Walsh took over, Sligo "didn't have the players" either. I think Galway had a players problem circa 1996 before claiming an All-Ireland two years later while this mysterious players illness also stalked Division Three Mayo in the mid nineties before they reached successive All-Ireland finals. I think the player blight struck Fermanagh for a while before Charlie Mulgrew arrived as well and dammit they had it in Antrim before first Brian White and latterly Baker Bradley arrived, even if Bradley messed things up by bringing back the McGourtys and souring the panel. And if you're still reading, I reckon a good few Louth posters will tell you they had no players in recent years before the current boss took over and has them in their first Leinster decider in 50 years.

Sure, yeah, we have no players at all in Cavan where we eat, piss, shite and fart football 24/7.

Believe me, although they players need to pull up their socks and aren't blameless here, in general, players or lack of is not the most pressing problem; having the right man to lead them is where we've gone wrong with practically every appointment since McHugh, with the exception of Eamon Coleman. And that in itself would tell any observer that the custodians of the game in the county board are hardly geniuses when it comes to running things, yet they never change while managers come and go on a roll-on-roll-off basis. That's another area needs looking at but Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

I touched on it several times. The more I thought about it the more and felt we were going to get hammered. Even that fecking Octopus knew it.

tierworker blue

Just after rowlin' in from Cork folks...it has been yet another long, frustrating, beeatch of a day.
I'm not going to bother with a diagnosis right now...far to full of intoxicants to bother 'til tomorrow (whenever the hangover wears off!)......Up Cavan (sniff sniff...)

anglocelt39

First game attended in ages yesterday so take my comments in that light. It was always going to be difficult with the opposition and the venue.

Now that I have the formalities out of the way.

this was clearly a do or die fixture for lads that are supposed to have been training together since January, from about five minutes in it was clear that the entire 15 just werent up for it. There was very little leadership on the pitch, the 2 or 3 "go to" players that a young lad might look to when we were looking to get dug out of a tight spot.

If there was a game plan it wasn't apparent. The hammering yesterday had it's starting point in being totally wiped out around the middle of the park. We won one kickout in the entire first half. I'm not sure how many kickouts we had but every single one went long, central and came straight back at us. It was hard to fault the backs who worked hard in the face of a red tide coming at them all day. Thought Sheridan and McCutcheon soldiered well enough on a tough day. Thought Flanagan tried hard enough but got physicaled off the ball a bit.

Cork people around us were quite surprised at how poor we were. Cavan Maniac just about summed up the conversation in our car on the way home last night. Limerick, Tipp, Wexford, Louth, Sligo, Longford etc. etc. aren't supposed to have the players but seem capable of putting it up to the so called bigger guns on a regular enough basis. We have enough lads playing at a high level in colleges football to at least match what they are producing how we do that is the issue. O'Mahony, Kernan etc. have shown that the big name managerial appointment isn't always the answer.

For the record, Walsh and Philip Brady started instead of McGuigan and Mackey respectively. Philip Brady replaced by Mackey after 20 minutes. Nesty got gate early in second half, for what I am not sure.

Fair play to the number of Cavan people who made the long trek, pity they didn't see a bit better.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

put-it-up

Anyone know what Ciaran Brady of Gowna is up to these days?

I don't know anything about him but I remember he wouldn't take the u21 job because he didn't want to be a Yes-Man under Carr. That gives a good first impression to me.

I have thought more about it and I think I would prefer to see a Cavan ma back in the hot-seat. Whether anybody is suitable, I don't know.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: put-it-up on July 11, 2010, 07:04:00 PM
Anyone know what Ciaran Brady of Gowna is up to these days?

I don't know anything about him but I remember he wouldn't take the u21 job because he didn't want to be a Yes-Man under Carr. That gives a good first impression to me.

I have thought more about it and I think I would prefer to see a Cavan ma back in the hot-seat. Whether anybody is suitable, I don't know.

If hes anything like what he was as a player as he is as a manager,you would get the impression that he wouldnt be the county boards cup of tea,He turned down the under 21 job as you said,as he refused to be a lackey to the senior management.
Im sure he would install a bit of passion and pride in a team,as you got it in abundance from him as a player.

id be of the opinion

Michael Hannon
John McCutcheon
Alan Clarke
Martin Cahill
Dermot Sheridan
David Givney
Gareth Smith
Seanie Johnson
Cian Mackey
Michael Brennan
Eoin McGuigan
Ronan Flanagan
Mark McKeever

13 lads who should be in a panel  of 30 next year who have done enough for me.
The likes of Dane O Dowd,Eoin McPhillips,Eoin Smith,Declan McKiernan need to be given plenty of football in the McKenna Cup and league to stake a place on the team.
Give the under 21 prospects like Gearoid McKiernan etc a shot.
6/7 new players with size and mobility need to be brought in to the panel.
2/3 midfield options, and a targetman for full forward are needed in particular.

put-it-up

I dunno he jsut popped into my head earlier as maybe someone who should be tried. Someone different and not in the county board 'click'. We need to ruffle a few feathers, both of players and committee. A strong character is needed. I am jsut so annoyed though that the whole championship is going to be missed for scouting new players.

And Jaysus BHM, keep talking sense like that and you might get yourself a new job  ;D

I just do not buy for one second we are as crap as we have played recently. I have touched on it before but in that spell against Wicklow a lot of the lads showed they have fire in the belly - in there somewhere. Althought I would freshen up alot of the squad, everyone agrees that the spine of the team is already there. We jsut need someone to go in and sprinkle petrol on the small flame in their stomachs and get some genuine belief. I think a Cavan man has to do that. Look at Louth today - they ran their arses off and competed all over the field. Now someone honestly try to tell me that pound for pound they are better than us. They are not. They are jsut playing to their potential, have a set system and more importantly work again and again and again.

I would keep all those core names you mentioned BHM. You listed 13. I would sprinkle 7 or 8 recent u 21's amongst them for a fresh attitude and for players who don't carry the scars of recent years. Then try get the likes of Darren Smith and a few of the Gaels in. The fact is we need to get everybody that is good enough in and rowing the boat for Cavan. Because if we don't start rowing soon - we're going to be shipwrecked...

cavanmaniac

The Gaels lads will row in when they feel there's a professional set up in place, or so we've been hearing, so hopefully if we get that, a few more of them will filter in and boost it up a bit. The grit they showed against Galls last spring is the benchmark for the county team in terms of spirit, application, collective effort and refusal to give in (not discipline though!). That's where we have to get if we're to have any hope and we need a man that can put it in place, I know nothing about Ciaran Brady but if he can do that, then give him the gig.

Or just take the Gaels manager even  ;D

put-it-up

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 11, 2010, 08:46:22 PM
The Gaels lads will row in when they feel there's a professional set up in place, or so we've been hearing, so hopefully if we get that, a few more of them will filter in and boost it up a bit. The grit they showed against Galls last spring is the benchmark for the county team in terms of spirit, application, collective effort and refusal to give in (not discipline though!). That's where we have to get if we're to have any hope and we need a man that can put it in place, I know nothing about Ciaran Brady but if he can do that, then give him the gig.

Or just take the Gaels manager even  ;D

Ah hold on - next you will want the Gaels lads to be player managers. Let us get in Obama for a speech. We need a united Cavan!
Really interested to hear what Brady is up to these days to see if he done anything after that success in Longford.

Denn Forever

Who is manager of Cavan Gaels?  Get him and maybe he'll bring some of the CG players with him.

Calm heads needed now.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

put-it-up

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 11, 2010, 09:35:03 PM
Who is manager of Cavan Gaels?  Get him and maybe he'll bring some of the CG players with him.

Calm heads needed now.

You would like to think we could find a new manager before the end of the championships - so the new lad can have a look at the competitive club games. When do they actually start lads? Have heard feck all about them

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 11, 2010, 09:52:59 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 11, 2010, 09:35:03 PM

Calm heads needed now.

You would like to think we could find a new manager before the end of the championships - so the new lad can have a look at the competitive club games. When do they actually start lads? Have heard feck all about them

First Championship games start Thursday week, then the second round of games are the following weekend.  The third round of games aren't fixed yet
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Thursday 22th i think it is PIU

1st round of games  Thursday, 22nd July -Sunday 25th
2nd round Thursday 29th-Sunday 1st August

1st Round of games

Thursday 22nd July
8pm
Hotel Kilmore Senior Championship
Lacken v Castlerahan
Venue: Kingspan Breffni Park
Referee: Michael Lee

Thursday, 22nd July 2010 @ 8pm
Hotel Kilmore Intermediate Championship
Killeshandra v Drumgoon
Venue: Max McGrath Memorial Park
Referee: Seamus O'Connor

Thursday, 22nd July 2010 @ 8pm
Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship
Munterconnacht v Cornfean
Venue: Sheelin Park, Ballymachugh
Referee: Tony Gregory
Kildallon v Mountnugent
Venue: St. Felim's Park, Drumalee
Referee: Ciaran McCarville
Maghera v Shercock
Venue: St. Anne's Park, Bailieboro
Referee: Noel Mooney

Friday, 23rd July 2010 @ 8pm
Lavey v Cavan Gaels
Referee: MG Brady
Ballinagh v Ramor Utd
Venue: Dr Plunkett Park, Kilnaleck
Referee: Jimmy Galligan, Killygarry

Friday, 23rd July 2010 @ 8pm
Drumlane v Ballymachugh
Venue: Crowe Memorial Park, Lacken
Referee: Jimmy Galligan, Lacken
Knockbride v Drung
Venue: Hugh O'Reilly Park, Cootehill
Referee: Gerry Sheridan

Saturday, 24th July 2010 @ 8pm
Denn v Gowna
Referee: Martin Sexton
Cuchulainns v Kingscourt
Venue: Ramor Utd Park, Virginia
Referee: Martin Brady Ballinagh

Ballyhaise v Butlersbridge (Game at 6.30pm)
Referee: Raymond Tynan
Baileborough v Cavan Gaels
Venue: PJ Duke Park, Stradone
Referee: Brian Seagrave
Drumalee v Kill
Venue: Athletic Grounds, Crubany
Referee: Chris McCaffrey

Hotel Kilmore Junior Championship
Arva v Corlough
Venue: Paric na gCead Uladh, Ballyconnell First Ulsters
Referee: John Cassidy

Sunday, 25th July 2010
Redhills v Blackwater Gaels (Game at 2.30pm)
Venue: New Inns, Lavey
Referee: Joe McQuillan
Crosserlough v Killygarry (Game at 4pm)
Referee: Ollie Donohoe
Belturbet v Mullahoran (Game at 7.30pm)
Referee: Raymond Kelly

Sunday, 25th July 2010 @ 2.30pm
Cootehill v Killinkere