Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

It couldnt have come at a better time,2 weeks before the club championship is starting.In a perfect world, a manager would be appointed within a timeframe, whereby he would be able to witness most of the club championship and not have to take the word of others(seeing as it will probably be an outside man)regarding players when selecting a panel in December.
Wait until you see though,The County Board will wait until October to appoint a manager,and it will be the same shit once again.  >:(

crack

Quote from: crack on Today at 05:51:08 PM
Now I feel Cork told us how good Johnston is just a small time player in division 3 and 4 games, people say he would walk onto any County team in the 32 counties well you got your answer here he is just not good enough. I have been saying it on another forum week after week that he is not good enough and off course the usual faces saying what would you know or what are you talking about, Yes time to sort out the problem and the sooner the better. What has come forward from the development squad sweet F all. Get rid of all these people and bring in fresh faces, bring in a man who will take no nonsense from players and another area of the county set up this is the only way or we will be forever living in the 40s and 50s. I hope that the County chairman will finally end Mr Carr's Mr Graham & Mr Hyland and their back room staff tenure and bring in new faces.

I think you are being harsh on Johnstone. He does have some fantastic ability. What he also has is a bit of an attitude problem. I was hopeful that he has begun to move away from that but I don't know. He is still a class act when he puts his mind to it but certainly he has a long way to go before I would put him up there with the top forwards in the game.

Who would you suggest for the new faces to replace Carr, Hyland and Graham? There ain't too many candidates jumping out in front of me

well how about this for the minors.
Damien Reilly
Peter Reilly
Jason Reilly
Paul McCorry as trainer but now that Mr Carr has stood down I would want Paul McCorry as the senior trainer he is very good.

I expect John O'Mahoney will be one of the front runners.??? I hope that the new man gets rid of all of the current back room staff from the set up. The sooner the better.??

Dougal

just home,dont want to talk about the game at the minute.dont think theres any point either,what happened,happened,it's now time to look to the future.Carrs gone,who will take his place?and as BHman said,when will he take his place?time to dump the whole panel and base selections on championship form.

crack,you do realise that alot of those people you named are already involved with county players
was damien not involved with the u21's,jayo was involved with the minors and peter was a selector on the seniors.i thought you wanted rid of these people.

Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: Dougal on July 10, 2010, 09:43:51 PM
just home,dont want to talk about the game at the minute.dont think theres any point either,what happened,happened,it's now time to look to the future.Carrs gone,who will take his place?and as BHman said,when will he take his place?time to dump the whole panel and base selections on championship form.

crack,you do realise that alot of those people you named are already involved with county players
was damien not involved with the u21's,jayo was involved with the minors and peter was a selector on the seniors.i thought you wanted rid of these people.

I smell a WUM and a convert from another internet GAA discussion forum
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

This whole notion of having lads involved in county management at Minor/under 21 etc because they are former county footballers is nonsense.
With the exception of Mickey Graham who has won numerous honours at club level,What have Damien Reily,Jayo,Peter been involved in,management wise and won??? If they have,sure correct me,but i cant think of any,these lads may turn out to be great managers,but a county job is not one where you cut your teeth in.
Its lads like Andy McGovern of Killygarry who was the mastermind behind St Pats Ulster Colleges win this year(Dalton?? ) and whom is a very well respected coach,who should be targeted to oversee these teams,not those with the higher profile reputations .

anglocelt39

too pissed and gutted to post lads, on behalf of myself or a few exiles i attended with. laters
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Dougal

spot on PIU and BHman.

PIU thats the team id be building around aswel,apart from flanagan,really not impressed with him.apart from that,post of the year  ;D

BHman,you ask what have they done...i was going to comment on that,but didnt because jayo is the only one id know much about,but anyway he has managed a div 4 minor team for a year.
this brining county players in to help out with county panels is stupid,unless they've done something at club level.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 10, 2010, 10:31:53 PM
Quote from: Dougal on July 10, 2010, 10:15:51 PM
spot on PIU and BHman.

PIU thats the team id be building around aswel,apart from flanagan,really not impressed with him.apart from that,post of the year  ;D

BHman,you ask what have they done...i was going to comment on that,but didnt because jayo is the only one id know much about,but anyway he has managed a div 4 minor team for a year.
this brining county players in to help out with county panels is stupid,unless they've done something at club level.

Hardly, ac39's jsut above deserves some credit for his honesty and laziness ;D

I just think Flanagan needs a proper run at WB. To  me he has all the attribtue to make an excellent wing-back but he get's shunted around like I don't know what.

Who suggested Peter, Damien and Jayo? I guarentee you he has never stood in a dressing room with them. None have any record at coaching whatsoever. I can understand former county players being brought in as selectors but management and ciaching are different breeds all together.
A manager in my club delievered four u16 titles in a row yet wouldn't even be considered for any county job at any level because he doesn't lick arse and he didn't play for Cavan. That is the reality of it. I don't really like the voting on managers going to the club. It basically become a popularity contest and lets be honest half our club reps haven't a notion anyway.

Yea I know that feck all discussions would take place at our clubs for a decision to be made to give to the county board.  I would say the same could be said for most clubs

anglocelt39

Quote from: put-it-up on July 10, 2010, 10:31:53 PM
Quote from: Dougal on July 10, 2010, 10:15:51 PM
spot on PIU and BHman.

Hardly, ac39's jsut above deserves some credit for his honesty and laziness ;D

I just think Flanagan needs a proper run at WB. To  me he has all the attribtue to make an excellent wing-back but he get's shunted around like I don't know what.

Who suggested Peter, Damien and Jayo? I guarentee you he has never stood in a dressing room with them. None have any record at coaching whatsoever. I can understand former county players being brought in as selectors but management and ciaching are different breeds all together.
A manager in my club delievered four u16 titles in a row yet wouldn't even be considered for any county job at any level because he doesn't lick arse and he didn't play for Cavan. That is the reality of it. I don't really like the voting on managers going to the club. It basically become a popularity contest and lets be honest half our club reps haven't a notion anyway.

fecks sake piu but fair comment on the laziness front. maybe now some idea why the shamrocks honours cupboard was so bare early 80's. seriously upset at what i saw but would rather post in the am
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

put-it-up

It is just so frustrating now that we are going to have a new man coming in that is going to be as clueless as TC was when he started.
I really don't know who the new man should be but it is important we get it right. I think we might have to settle for a home-grown set up to be honest. The thought of Micko for a year are interesting to see if he could pick us up off the floor. His trainings are as ould as the hills at this stage but maybe that is what we need at this stage. To come right back down to earth. Forget all the bullshit of S+C untill we get 20 or so lads back fighting for Cavan and willing to give their all on the field. I have to admit some of our players have improved physically in recent years but that doesnt meant we are any better off as a team.  I dunno, IT is too early to decide..

AC, i have no idea what your talking about. Does the old saying, "Drink your pints and the vodka's will come" apply to you tonight :)

I think we all agree anyway that it is time to strip everything back, get a solid foundation and see what new blood we can put in and around it. We are not going to win anything soon but look at what progress Tipp have made recently. They went from Div 4 to being competitive in Div 2 and nobody try to tell me they have bettr players than us. What they have is belief, a system and work-rate.

One last thing. We need to get the local set-up moree competitive. How we do that though is another day's chat.

crack

Being that you are from Ballyhaise I am not surprised you back M.Graham. What ever you say he has done at club level he has been in charged of the Cavan minors for three years and what has he returned to the county, SOD ALL.
I was in Clones last Saturday and feck me the whole team were devoiid of any game plan best he stays with Ballyhaise but if rumors are correct he is leaving you guys to take over the Cavan gales senior team to get a senior title onto his CV for it must be the easiest way to pick up a senior tilte without being smart. My opinion the man has not got it and watching the minors last week answers that, forget this person for Cavan management and move on.
Why not as a group discuss what they all have to offer and leave your club shirt out side for a while. ::)

cavanmaniac

Am I the only one who saw this coming? I didn't post about the game all week because I discerned a "f**k it let's have a go, you never know what might happen" attitude growing here on the board. I didn't want to lower the mood but Jesus, I never saw us getting out of Cork without at least an 11-13 point trimming; what happened in the end is way worse but none the less surprising for it. Not trying to look wise after the event but it's just how I saw it, Cork are light years ahead of our lads, after the Fermanagh no-show it was clear Tommy hadn't a bull's notion on the line or hadn't learned a thing from the manner of the loss to Antrim the year before. Sure, the players love him and will back him, just like they did everywhere he managed - he has a reputation as a "tough disciplinarian" and I thought as much myself but talk to any former players of his and they'll tell you he's a players' man through and through, top to bottom. I'd say he gave fair latitude to our lads, a dangerous method in Cavan if not madness. In hindsight, although I was initially positive, he was a terrible appointment and has made us no better if not worse.

Forget about Mickos and John O'Mahonys and all those types. Micko has become a sort of sad parody of himself in recent years and isn't even looking for work in big counties any more while others are lads who take a certain level of professionalism, structures, ability etc. for granted, they're not men for building from scratch as is required in Cavan. What we need to unearth is a Jason Ryan or a Kevin Walsh type, lads with a fresh take and genuine ability and an ability to get the best out of their resources. Unfortunately, they wouldn't have impressed the likes of posters on here like 'crack' but luckily for Wexford and Sligo they knew better.

Expect to hear reams of shite in the coming days about Cavan not having the players yadda yadda yadda bollix, we weren't supposed to have them in 1995 either before getting to two Ulster finals in three years (winning one) and I'm sure before Walsh took over, Sligo "didn't have the players" either. I think Galway had a players problem circa 1996 before claiming an All-Ireland two years later while this mysterious players illness also stalked Division Three Mayo in the mid nineties before they reached successive All-Ireland finals. I think the player blight struck Fermanagh for a while before Charlie Mulgrew arrived as well and dammit they had it in Antrim before first Brian White and latterly Baker Bradley arrived, even if Bradley messed things up by bringing back the McGourtys and souring the panel. And if you're still reading, I reckon a good few Louth posters will tell you they had no players in recent years before the current boss took over and has them in their first Leinster decider in 50 years.

Sure, yeah, we have no players at all in Cavan where we eat, piss, shite and fart football 24/7.

Believe me, although they players need to pull up their socks and aren't blameless here, in general, players or lack of is not the most pressing problem; having the right man to lead them is where we've gone wrong with practically every appointment since McHugh, with the exception of Eamon Coleman. And that in itself would tell any observer that the custodians of the game in the county board are hardly geniuses when it comes to running things, yet they never change while managers come and go on a roll-on-roll-off basis. That's another area needs looking at but Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: crack on July 11, 2010, 12:14:08 AM
Being that you are from Ballyhaise I am not surprised you back M.Graham. What ever you say he has done at club level he has been in charged of the Cavan minors for three years and what has he returned to the county, SOD ALL.
I was in Clones last Saturday and feck me the whole team were devoiid of any game plan best he stays with Ballyhaise but if rumors are correct he is leaving you guys to take over the Cavan gales senior team to get a senior title onto his CV for it must be the easiest way to pick up a senior tilte without being smart. My opinion the man has not got it and watching the minors last week answers that, forget this person for Cavan management and move on.
Why not as a group discuss what they all have to offer and leave your club shirt out side for a while. ::)

You forgot about this Junior Championship with Buttlersbridge.
and his Intermediate championship with Drumalee who were  underdogs against an  favoured Ballinagh team.
Im not saying he should be the next Cavan manager,however he certainly has more pedigree as a manager,than the others named as he has achieved success and is fairly experienced in management unlike the others you named.Id say he will probably be a candidate next time around for the county job after he takes the Gaels job(which we all know he will in the near future),

put-it-up

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2010, 12:47:51 AM
Quote from: crack on July 11, 2010, 12:14:08 AM

You forgot about this Junior Championship with Buttlersbridge.
and his Intermediate championship with Drumalee who were  underdogs against an  favoured Ballinagh team.
Im not saying he should be the next Cavan manager,however he certainly has more pedigree as a manager,than the others named as he has achieved success and is fairly experienced in management unlike the others you named.Id say he will probably be a candidate next time around for the county job after he takes the Gaels job(which we all know he will in the near future),

Is Graham still with Ballyhaise?

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on July 11, 2010, 01:23:57 AM
Is Graham still with Ballyhaise?

Well I believe there is an official line and an unofficial line - probably changed after last Sunday