Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'd have to agree with Myles. Now maybe TC has done more homework than me and has a plan to counter Wicklow but it's hard to see. It's not just as bizarre as it first appeared when you think that we're missing Cahill, Johnson, Gunner, Givney and McKeever from the last day. But Brides only landed on the panel after the league I think. Eoin McPhilips must've done something wrong to TC but I assume whoever mentioned the junior final was joking. McCutcheon has been playing away for Cootehill but hasn't had a look-in recently. Anyway, sure we'll see what happens. I hope all the support will be there that was at the Fermanagh match or are we going to follow TC's lead and treat the back-door with disrespect?

cavanmaniac

Sheridan at corner back is a joke if true, I can only assume Brides will drop back and Sheridan will maybe go to the wing back slot, where he actually made an impact against Fermanagh after being lead a merry dance before that?

I don't know what Clarke has done to retain his spot and McGuigan's positioning is odd as well.

Will be interesting to hear if Wicklow pack the defence and Cavan struggle as expected, will TC  (or whoever manages the team behind the scenes, if rumours here are anything to go by) even try and pitch a big man in there? Or will he have learned nothing from the past day, same as he learned nothing from the Antrim game the year before?

Martin Reilly is half the width of Gooch and not cut out for this level on a purely physical basis, although that said Micko's teams tend to play reasonably open football so maybe he mightn'd be to bad in this match.

full moon

Dear oh dear, that team is atrocious.

I could see alot of club teams in divison 1 beating that line up, or at least giving them a run for their money. And in all honesty the club set up as we all know, is not at too high a level either.

McGuigan has a good game the last day at CB and suddenly he is in the forward line. Makes so much sense really... ::)

That team is an absolute embarrassment. Martin Reily still getting games, he has been put on his arse countless times. Mackay must have a certain starting place.

And as for that "midfield" and "defence" if that is what you want to call it, not worth even discussing how poor that is.

I thought Wicklow would win, now a cricket score could be on the cards if they bring their A game.

put-it-up

Are St Vincent De Paul running Paddy Power now - Wicklow are 13/8.

Hand on heart, I would fancy the Gaels to beat that team.

Hope we dig out a win and get another day out but I don't think TC will have instilled any sense of hunger whatsoever.Here is to hoping that I am wrong

BallyhaiseMan

I have to echo some posters,i do not like the look of that team

Sheridan needs to be out wing back,
i dont think Brides has the legs for IC level anymore.
Eoin McGuigan done ok against Fermanagh,why disregard for Centre Half him after one game? It wasnt his fault Tommy McElory was running free up the wings.He will do a good job at wing forward as hes a very good all-round player.
Alan Clarke is lucky to be starting as he wasnt up to the pace the last day.
Midfield,well its all we have with our injuries.
Hopefully Martin Reily proves us wrong tonight and has a stormer,but id worry about him starting,as we have said"all the ability in the world",but no physical strength.
Wicklow by 5 for me,if that team lines out as per programme.

full moon

Well, well, well.

The qualifier draw awaits. Bit of a miracle really.

cavanmaniac

We'll get Fermanagh after Monaghan hand them their arses tomorrow, and their balls in a carrier bag along with it, just watch.

Denn Forever

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 26, 2010, 09:05:00 PM
We'll get Fermanagh after Monaghan hand them their arses tomorrow, and their balls in a carrier bag along with it, just watch.

And Wiclow were supposed to win.  Nothing seems to go to lan in this years championship.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Yiiipppppppeeeeeeee ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Word is we're starting with 13 the next day!!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Some performance
Have to give Carr credit for his substitutions and how he changed it when we went down to 13,We won almost every break after that.
Some feeling coming out of Breffini afterwards!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

put-it-up

Well fair f*ckin play to them. Never been prouder to watch a Cavan team. Wicklow completely imploded but I don't care that took serious balls and hunger to turn that around. Jelly was outstanding - something must have happened because he was tick as a bull when he came out after Half-Time and I knew he was mad to get out there and do his bit. Anyone else hear his post match interview? Interesting to say the least!

So much went wrong, so many mistakes were made but by Jaysus they rowed in and worked their feckin arses off and I think that is all we have ever wanted from them. Here is my take on the team.

Fintan - Thought he could have done alot more for the second and gave me a heart attack at the end when he dropped that!
Hannon - Great to see him back and enjoying his football. Terrific block at the end summed up his performance.
Corr - An absolute shocker. Couldn't believe he wasnt taken off. Interestingly Cahill was just about to come on for him before he got the gate but it was too late.
Sheridan - Done rightly - still think he would be better in HB line but we're badly stuck inside.
Brides - Worked hard and also rushed a Wicklow attacker right at the end to force a wide.
McCutcheon - I like the way he plays but I don't think he was at this best today. 70 mins should bring him on sharpness wise
Clarke - I thought he was excellent bar the free he took! Great man to break a tackle and constantly kept driving on in the second half, keeping Wicklow on the back foot.
Mulvey - Plonker - Lack of mobility was the cause of the penalty
Galligan - I've said it before, we are so limited in there but he covers ground and tries hard. Fair play
Flanagan - Very quiet early on but he was absolutly brilliant when we went down to 13. Proved to be a leader today.
Nesty - I think he is such an addition. If he had pace he wouldnt be far off the Dublin team. Glad to have him and I hope he sticks around even after Tommy goes.
McGuigan - Caught in two minds for the goal chance at the start but fair play to him he has a good attitude and worked tirelessly
Martin - Got on quite a few breaks but pushed off a few tips as BHM will have noticed :D The only position he can play at this level is inside
Brennan - He has won me over. His work ethic is great and he always seems to be looking for the ball. I think he is a better shooter than he lets on and shouldnt be afraid to have a pop.
Mackey - Was lucky to last the first half.

Jelly, Cahill and McKeever - Hats off to them. They turned the game around. Jelly was unreal and I can't wait to see the point he kicked from the corner again. He lifted the whole team when he came on and Cahill was brilliant aswell.

It was far from perfect, Wicklow completely died, but hats off to the lads for scraping out the win. Now all we have to worry about is which Cavan will turn up for the next qualifier.  8)

BallyhaiseMan

Good summary PIU

Mossy Corr didnt have a good day,but the rest of the backline were terrific,Mickey H was outstanding and Dermot Sheridan was very solid.
Alan Clarke in particular for me was outstanding.Have to hold my hand up and say i was wrong about Brides selection,he was fantastic.
Galligan to be fair worked hard,Mulvey,well nothing needs to be said there,what he was at,il never know.
Mickey Brennan caught two balls and dominated when he came out to centre field, he will have to start there the next day.
The whole half forward line were so impressive,i dont know how Nesty couldnt get on the Dublin team,hes an absolute gem of a player.
Thats the best Ronan Flanagan has played in a couple of years,terrific.
Cian Mackey just has lost all his form he showed in the league.
Martin Reily mixed the good with the bad before he was taken off.
Eoin McGuigan's workrate was terrific.

Martin Cahill and McKeever won some amount of breaks
Jelly,well what can we say,Hes a Gaelic footballing genius
Dane o Dowd done very well when he came on aswell.

Mickey H to full back the next day
Michael Brides to corner
Martin Cahill to wing back
Mickey Brennan to midfield alongside Galligan
Jelly to start Full forward.
McKeever in for Martin Reily and dropping deep.
That will surely be the changes.

put-it-up

Agree with most of what you said aswell BHM. That was so refreshing after the poxy defeat to Fermanagh. I know we are not going to win the All-Ireland anytime soon but that made me proud to be from Cavan today.

It gives us hope for the future because the players showed the fans they genuinely do care. Once that hunger is there we have a platform to build from. Well done again lads.

Has that win given TC a doggy life or is it still curtains for him?

BallyhaiseMan

It depends on the next game id say PIU
If Tommy pulls out any more performances from the lads like that last 25 minutes,He will get another year for sure.
im looking forward to this 2nd round draw.
Knowing our luck,it will be Cork away!!!!  :(