Maghera  1-8 0-11 Corlough 
Ballymachugh  2-10 0-7 Kingscourt

Thursday 17th June 2010
ACFL Division 1
Gowna  0-8 0-12 Kingscourt 
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

Quote from: North Longford on June 18, 2010, 06:12:32 PM
Didn't go back far enough in thread to see debate on where he ranked. More a general comment on how he played. Probably was one of the better ones, but I'd say there were a good few around the same rank i.e. did some good things but did some poor things also. As regards Nesty it would be more the long term I'd be concerned about. He gets on a good bit of ball but doesn't appear to release it very quickly. Johnson and Mackey need it delivered fast before a scatter of lads get back.

The only way that would happen is if you kicked the ball in before the Fermanagh team lined out  ;D In my opinion if you can't get through a wall you go over it and why a target man like Declan McKiernan wasn't introduced was baffling.

And Terry Coyle I know the set-up is muck, but I just dont think you should turn your back on your county because you think your club has a better set-up. No harm to ye Gaels boys, your the best club in Cavan (there I said it) but ya's have done feck all in Ulster and I don't think ya's have the right to feel you are too good for the county set-up.

I am sure Givney, Mackey and whoever else can see the flaws but there still in there trying for their county. In fairness I admire your lads for having the balls to say I don't agree with what is going on in there and if a few in the set-up spoke up, it might hav done some good, but I just don't think they should refuse to play.

It would be great to see them bringing their winning mentality and a few other things they do up in Terry Coyle into the county set-up and trying to improve it. Regardless who the manager is, players talk to each other and in training they can have their say and work on things without even bringing it to the manager's attention. (Like upping intensity, positioning in training games and just talking to each other about way's to improve).

Our new manager's first aim has to be a united Cavan. We could get in Charlie Sheen as a selector and get him to give the 'All for one and One for all speech' from the Three Musketeers ;D

mylestheslasher

12 months or even 24 months ago most of us on here wanted 20-25 players that were committed to Cavan and would give their all. We were willing to accept that this may mean some of our most talented players would be left outside this group due to lack of commitment. I think more or less that is what we have. Leaving the panel due to being dropped or not joining it because the set up isn't sufficient is a cop out. I though cullivan might have seen sense and come back in but obviously not so good riddance to him I say. We have had plenty of lads over the years that thought they were bigger than the team and I am sick of hearing about them. I will not make too much criticism of the team from last day and I think they would have won only for Carr's complete non show on the line. I think most of them deserve a 2nd chance but I would make some changes. I'd like to see the following team against Wicklow...

Fintan Reilly
McPhillips
Corr
Hannon
Flanagan
McGuigan
Shierdan/McCutcheon
Givney
Galligan
Mackey
Nesty
Cahill
Brennan
McKiernan
Johnston

Assuming that Brady is gone with handball and McKeever is injured.

Wicklow will be a lot like Fermanagh. Men behind the ball, aggressive in the tackle, fit etc. Will Carr learn anything from the last game?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 18, 2010, 11:18:20 PM
ACFL Division 1

Redhills  0-10 0-11 Killygarry   
Cavan Gaels  0-6 1-10 Belturbet
Crosserlough  0-15 2-10 Ballinagh 
Mullahoran  1-15 1-9 Lavey 

ACFL Reserve Division 1 

Mullahoran  1-11 0-6 Lavey 

ACFL Division 2

Drung  0-12 2-8 Cootehill 
Killinkere  0-8 0-9 Drumlane

ACFL Division 3

Maghera  1-8 0-11 Corlough 
Ballymachugh  2-10 0-7 Kingscourt

Thursday 17th June 2010
ACFL Division 1
Gowna  0-8 0-12 Kingscourt

Jesus,thats a bit of a shocker,although Belturbet can always play the Gaels well and have beaten them a fair few times in the league in recent years.

cavanmaniac

The debate above about the Gaels players not committing is very interesting.

I recall being at the Ulster club game versus Saint Galls and being extremely impressed with most aspects of the Gaels play that day. They probably gave Galls their toughest test of the year and but for the old failing of headlessness under pressure and indiscipline coming into play, Gaels might well have won. But there was still so much to admire in their tenacity, spirit, workrate, sheer balls sometimes, and I remember wondering why that isn't there when the county team play.

It's becoming clearer now anyway, back then I had a little bit more faith in TCarr but I can see why lads used to a high level of professionalism/preparation (such as was obviously being put in by the Gaels) would look at the county and decide not to bother. And if they don't really want to be there, you're always better off without.

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 19, 2010, 02:54:09 PM
12 months or even 24 months ago most of us on here wanted 20-25 players that were committed to Cavan and would give their all. We were willing to accept that this may mean some of our most talented players would be left outside this group due to lack of commitment. I think more or less that is what we have. Leaving the panel due to being dropped or not joining it because the set up isn't sufficient is a cop out. I though cullivan might have seen sense and come back in but obviously not so good riddance to him I say. We have had plenty of lads over the years that thought they were bigger than the team and I am sick of hearing about them. I will not make too much criticism of the team from last day and I think they would have won only for Carr's complete non show on the line. I think most of them deserve a 2nd chance but I would make some changes. I'd like to see the following team against Wicklow...

Fair fucks Myles,couldn't have said it better myself. Its disappointing that lads have walked away like Cullivan and Lyng but I really feel they would be better off sticking at it and proving their points and showing that they deserve to be starting.IMO by walking away they are achieving nothing.

Dougal

people on HS are saying that givney injured himself and wont be able to play next weekend.anyone else hear this?if it's true,who should we have at midfield?

good post myles,if they arent interested in being there,then theres no point in them being there.also agree with cavanmaniac,the gaels came very close,a few lads lost the head a bit and that probably lost them the game,but you couldnt question their pride and determination.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Terry Coyle

Quote from: put-it-up on June 19, 2010, 08:18:57 AM
Didn't go back far enough in thread to see debate on where he ranked. More a general comment on how he played. Probably was one of the better ones, but I'd say there were a good few around the same rank i.e. did some good things but did some poor things also. As regards Nesty it would be more the long term I'd be concerned about. He gets on a good bit of ball but doesn't appear to release it very quickly. Johnson and Mackey need it delivered fast before a scatter of lads get back.

The only way that would happen is if you kicked the ball in before the Fermanagh team lined out  ;D In my opinion if you can't get through a wall you go over it and why a target man like Declan McKiernan wasn't introduced was baffling.

And Terry Coyle I know the set-up is muck, but I just dont think you should turn your back on your county because you think your club has a better set-up. No harm to ye Gaels boys, your the best club in Cavan (there I said it) but ya's have done feck all in Ulster and I don't think ya's have the right to feel you are too good for the county set-up.

I am sure Givney, Mackey and whoever else can see the flaws but there still in there trying for their county. In fairness I admire your lads for having the balls to say I don't agree with what is going on in there and if a few in the set-up spoke up, it might hav done some good, but I just don't think they should refuse to play.

It would be great to see them bringing their winning mentality and a few other things they do up in Terry Coyle into the county set-up and trying to improve it. Regardless who the manager is, players talk to each other and in training they can have their say and work on things without even bringing it to the manager's attention. (Like upping intensity, positioning in training games and just talking to each other about way's to improve).

Our new manager's first aim has to be a united Cavan. We could get in Charlie Sheen as a selector and get him to give the 'All for one and One for all speech' from the Three Musketeers ;D

Put It Up when did I ever say we were too good for the county set up? If lads choose not to go in then thats their business, nothing to do with ego or any other bull you are thinking. If you dont have a good setup then there is only so much players can do. You cant expect them to speak to each other and not listen to a manager. Jesus look at the French in the world cup and you can see how disrespect for a manger filters down to performances. We have won f**k all in Ulster but as some of the other lads said we were a whisker away from beating the eventual All Ireland winners with 12 men. Bloody stupid indiscipline and self destructing bet us but hopefully we have learned.

BHMan, terrible weekend for us both teams losing well. Were missing 15 players that are possible Championship starters and had two more injuries during the game. But Belturbet have always been our bogey team in the league. Jayo still doing the business for them. 

BallyhaiseMan

Drumlane and Ballyhaise promoted back to division one,with Shercock beating Knockbride today.
Absolutely delighted.
TC
how many players did you lads lose to the States in the end,i heard ridiculous numbers rnaging from 8-12?

Dougal

Quote from: Terry Coyle on June 20, 2010, 05:25:11 PM

Put It Up when did I ever say we were too good for the county set up? If lads choose not to go in then thats their business, nothing to do with ego or any other bull you are thinking. If you dont have a good setup then there is only so much players can do. You cant expect them to speak to each other and not listen to a manager. Jesus look at the French in the world cup and you can see how disrespect for a manger filters down to performances. We have won f**k all in Ulster but as some of the other lads said we were a whisker away from beating the eventual All Ireland winners with 12 men. Bloody stupid indiscipline and self destructing bet us but hopefully we have learned.

BHMan, terrible weekend for us both teams losing well. Were missing 15 players that are possible Championship starters and had two more injuries during the game. But Belturbet have always been our bogey team in the league. Jayo still doing the business for them.

sure havent belturbet beaten you 3 times in the last 4 leagues?heard jayo scored 1-6 before coming off,hes playing good stuff at the minute.did i hear that doc collins is back for you?

ballyhaise and drumlane will be very hard stopped in the champ this year,im really not looking forward to meeting either.BHman,have many of your players went to america?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Dougal on June 20, 2010, 07:29:17 PM
Quote from: Terry Coyle on June 20, 2010, 05:25:11 PM

sure havent belturbet beaten you 3 times in the last 4 leagues?heard jayo scored 1-6 before coming off,hes playing good stuff at the minute.did i hear that doc collins is back for you?

ballyhaise and drumlane will be very hard stopped in the champ this year,im really not looking forward to meeting either.BHman,have many of your players went to america?

Only one Dougal,Shane Briody and he will be back for the championship,we have been very lucky with emigration/summer travels,only losing Slowey at the beginning of the year.

beer baron

Was just looking at the betting there-Cavan are 8/11 to win-ridiculously short price,Wicklow must have been disgustingly bad last time out.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Congrats BH Man. Good to get promotion tied up early and with Culivan without any distractions I'd fancy you for the double. I don't know much about Drumlane but you'd hope they'd make more of an effort next year than the shambles they were the last time they were in Division 1.

Terry Coyle

Yeah thats the 3rd year in a row they have beaten us. Yeah think Jayo scored about that. Few handy frees he scored but was about 1-2 I'd say from play.

9 players gone to the states from what I can remember, it possibly could be more. Its the second team thats being really affected now. Ah well we just got to deal with it - Cant begrudge lads going away especially in these times.

PhilsJemmysField

Word is that Giveny has broken leg hopefully for the lads sake not true. Would be a serious knock at this stage in football life.