Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: Lars on June 17, 2010, 11:52:48 PM

Quote from: put-it-up on June 17, 2010, 11:30:28 PM
Quote from: Dougal on June 17, 2010, 11:25:55 PM
PIU,i think his point was a good player will stand out in any position,but a goalkeeper wouldnt be expected to to stand out,in,lets say midfield.

i really didnt rate hannon a few months ago,but i think he is a great corner back.never thought much of him at club level,but that was because he carried the ball far too much,which he doesnt do at county level.

Brady is a great player,and we could do with him,but not if he wont fully commit,and if i was in his boots,i would chose the handball.it's not good for the team,when a lad plays 70mins in the league,starts for the 1st match in the champ,and is gone for the second match.

Fair enough I agree with that!! ;D Again I have seen him and played against him with his club - Drumgoon rely on him to carry the ball. At IC level, he is relatively comfortable on the ball  and if he had a wee bit more agression would make a good corner-back IMO.

On Brady, I agree with you 100%. it sends out a wrong message to others on the panel.

Thats exactly what I was sayin. Dont want to go offending the goalies out there, know they have a hard job. Just wouldnt expect them to be out kicking points although some of them can do it.

I agree with the the point that it sends out the wrong message to the team and is proabably unfair to other members of the panel but i just have the opinion that Paul is a superb footballer of which Cavan dont have many. Due to this think whenever he is available he should be a definite starter.

So if Mickey Lyng, Eamon Reilly, James Reilly and feck it even Larry the great said they can't commit during they year but will play championship, would you have them too?

Lars

Quote from: put-it-up on June 17, 2010, 11:54:57 PM

PIU,i think his point was a good player will stand out in any position,but a goalkeeper wouldnt be expected to to stand out,in,lets say midfield.

i really didnt rate hannon a few months ago,but i think he is a great corner back.never thought much of him at club level,but that was because he carried the ball far too much,which he doesnt do at county level.

Brady is a great player,and we could do with him,but not if he wont fully commit,and if i was in his boots,i would chose the handball.it's not good for the team,when a lad plays 70mins in the league,starts for the 1st match in the champ,and is gone for the second match.

Fair enough I agree with that!! ;D Again I have seen him and played against him with his club - Drumgoon rely on him to carry the ball. At IC level, he is relatively comfortable on the ball  and if he had a wee bit more agression would make a good corner-back IMO.

On Brady, I agree with you 100%. it sends out a wrong message to others on the panel.

Thats exactly what I was sayin. Dont want to go offending the goalies out there, know they have a hard job. Just wouldnt expect them to be out kicking points although some of them can do it.

I agree with the the point that it sends out the wrong message to the team and is proabably unfair to other members of the panel but i just have the opinion that Paul is a superb footballer of which Cavan dont have many. Due to this think whenever he is available he should be a definite starter.

So if Mickey Lyng, Eamon Reilly, James Reilly and feck it even Larry the great said they can't commit during they year but will play championship, would you have them too?

No i wouldnt for a few reasons.

I dont think Eamonn and Mickey are as important to Cavan as Paul is. Mickey is not the player he was a few years ago unfortunately he has gone way way back.
That is effectively what James Reilly did every year before this.
And finally Larry :) Larry in his prime could have done what he wanted he still would have been in my team :)

Terry Coyle

Quote from: Lars on June 18, 2010, 12:12:12 AM
Quote from: put-it-up on June 17, 2010, 11:54:57 PM

No i wouldnt for a few reasons.

I dont think Eamonn and Mickey are as important to Cavan as Paul is. Mickey is not the player he was a few years ago unfortunately he has gone way way back.
That is effectively what James Reilly did every year before this.
And finally Larry :) Larry in his prime could have done what he wanted he still would have been in my team :)

Let me guess you are a Mullahoran supporter. What you are saying here is ridiculous. Lads train all year and this builds morale. When someone comes in at the end of the season takes someones place on the Championship team and then f**ks off again then where is the morale gone now?? Who is going to fight alongside that player in next years Championship knowing that he will probably be gone the following week.

The lads said it right, he is a good footballer, better handballer, so choose the handball. And of course we can do without him, he wasnt even a stand out in the last game.

handballer09

How is it that Cork can accomodate dual players and some think Cavan shouldn't?

Terry Coyle

Quote from: handballer09 on June 18, 2010, 01:13:18 PM

Because the games the Cork players play will not conflict with each other and they wont play one game and then head off.

Denn Forever

Quote from: handballer09 on June 18, 2010, 01:13:18 PM

I assume it has to do with availability.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lars

No Terry Coyle I'm not a Mullahorn supporter I just rate Brady as a very good footballer. If he wasnt a stand out perfromer last Saturday (apart from his shooting) then who was?.We as a county arent blessed with an anbundance of top quality players so the few we do have should be accomodated. Yes he has stated that handball comes first so everybody knows the situation. At least he wants to play for his county.

Celt_Man

Givney was Cavan's stand out performer followed by Nesty.. then the rest were a fair bit off
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Terry Coyle

Celt_man got in ahead of me! Those two were the only ones. The man he was on was dropping deep the whole first half - Brady should have punished that and didnt. He is not a top class player that we cant do without. And before you go a rant he is worth his place when totally committed.

I am not even going to comment at your petty attempt to rise me saying at least he wants to play for his county.

anglocelt39

Looking like another year of disappoiontment at seniior county level so. Whos to blame who knows. somebody was saying on another thread that we have enough players to at least be that match of, better than the likes of Sligo, Louth, Tipp or whoever else will put a decent run together this year. They went on to suggest that where we seem to differ is that we haven't got a solid core of lads that have been brought in, persevered with and give a bit of consistency to the line up year on year. got me thinking of not that many years ago when were being competitive under val andrews and Eamon Coleman, the number of lads who were playing well for the county in those times and didn't really fully realise their potential/chucked it in etc. etc. theres a fairly long list without being complete:

James Reilly, Rory Donohoe, Rabbitte, Brides (still around but not the same player I'm afraid), Eamon Reilly, Collins, Crotty, Gaynor, Pauric Reilly (hasn't really delivered), Paddy Brady, Pierson, Sean Brady, Lyng, John Tierney, Joey Jordan, Crowe etc. etc. You coulld throw in the likes of Hannon and McKeever who were playing good football for the county when they were youngsters and seem to have gone off the boil.

County our size can't afford to be letting so many slip away. Imagine if just the following had delivered on their potential/stayed injury free and lined out last weekend-Rabbitte, Gaynor, Lyng, Pierson.

The real worry I would have is that in three years time we might be adding the likes of Givney and Cullivan to that list.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

full moon

We can't afford to lose players like Cullivan, players like him are what we should be building the future on. I heard rumours that he left the panel because Carr was being dictated to by senior players on who should be playing and what tactics are employed. This is no real suprise, Carr comes across as a weak willed man who has never had much success in any county.

Seanie Johnston was the main name mentioned. In my view it is irrlevent if Johnston is one of our top players or not, there is no way player should be dictating how ball is directed to him or who should play. So many problems, just another to add to the list.

I can't face the embarrassment of  being knocked about Wicklow two years running. They also beat us in the league last year.

Celt_Man

Quote from: full moon on June 18, 2010, 02:52:20 PM
We can't afford to lose players like Cullivan, players like him are what we should be building the future on. I heard rumours that he left the panel because Carr was being dictated to by senior players on who should be playing and what tactics are employed. This is no real suprise, Carr comes across as a weak willed man who has never had much success in any county.

Seanie Johnston was the main name mentioned. In my view it is irrlevent if Johnston is one of our top players or not, there is no way player should be dictating how ball is directed to him or who should play. So many problems, just another to add to the list.

I can't face the embarrassment of  being knocked about Wicklow two years running. They also beat us in the league last year.

I've highlighted the key word in your post there full moon - everything all that and taken with a pinch of salt given that word

BallyhaiseMan

FM
We havent played wicklow in the league since Donal Keoghan was over us when we beat them comfortably in Breffini,it must be someone else you're thinking of.

Id be fairly confident we can take them next Saturday.
Leighton Glynn needs to be man marked though,fantastic footballer.
Givney will be more than a match for James Stafford.
Discipline will be needed as Tony Hannon will put frees over from all angles.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 18, 2010, 02:59:34 PM

I've highlighted the key word in your post there full moon - everything all that and taken with a pinch of salt given that word

The more im hearing about the set up CM,FM is not very far away from the truth..
I dont know about the Johnston dictating bit however however,i didnt hear that.
Noteable players didnt commit this year due to knowing what was going on in the set up.
i dont like throwing people under the bus from behind a username,as its the act of a coward,so im not going to name names.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 18, 2010, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on June 18, 2010, 02:59:34 PM

The more im hearing about the set up CM,FM is not very far away from the truth..
I dont know about the Johnston dictating bit however however,i didnt hear that.
Noteable players didnt commit this year due to knowing what was going on in the set up.
i dont like throwing people under the bus from behind a username,as its the act of a coward,so im not going to name names.

A sensible policy some of the football-related stories I've heard in the last couple of weeks have been hilarious - completely nonsense but funny all the same