Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swadman

Quote from: put-it-up on June 14, 2010, 06:58:19 PM
... Some of the U21's next year have now beaten Antrim, Monaghan, Armagh and Down in Ulster Championship so I don't think they have the same sense of inferiority as some in the senior set-up appear to have. Let's see if he can develop those individuals - the likes of G Mckiernan, Minnagh and McDermott.
Over the last 4/5 years we have had some very promising minor panels (over-hyped sometimes,but nevertheless, good) The problem is the next level.
1. Lots of them seem to drift away, loose interest,  develop a fondness for "wimmen & drink"  get jobs far away. You can be damn sure a young star in Kerry or any of the 6 counties would be "found" a job which would allow him stay and play in the county. I played and lived in Dublin during the last recession. Like now there were no jobs, it was the boat for most, but it was well known that Joe McNally got employment in a few places just because he was dynamite for Dublin at the time. 
2. There was a proposal to scrap the U-21 which was shot down. I would suggest that there is too much of a gap between U-18 and U21 so have a Minor U-18 and a U-20 competition.

The above statement comes with a disclaimer: I maybe still raving after seeing my neighbours beating us for the first time since 1914 and it had to happen during my time on the planet

boojangles

Quote from: put-it-up on June 14, 2010, 07:42:37 PM
Quote from: boojangles on June 14, 2010, 07:26:22 PM
I don't think we should really be speculating until Tommy Truck goes after the qualifiers but for what it's worth here is my opinion. Mickey is a fantastic manager. Everybody under him wants to play and wants to work. But giving him the senior job at this moment in time would be stupid. He has had the last 3 years of minor crops. Surely the sensible thing to do would be to let him continue to work with them and develop them and try to develop belief. Some of the U21's next year have now beaten Antrim, Monaghan, Armagh and Down in Ulster Championship so I don't think they have the same sense of inferiority as some in the senior set-up appear to have. Let's see if he can develop those individuals - the likes of G Mckiernan, Minnagh and McDermott.

Who takes over the senior set-up is a difficult one. We thought when TC was taking over, things couldn't get any worse but now at this stage the only thing that would send us lower is getting bet by London or somone. Hyland seems the logical answer although whether he is up to it, I'm not sure. In fairness I think his record of late is by and large better than any other Cavan man in the country bar McDermott down in Clare. He would need help around him to make a decent go of it - particularly with regards to training I would say but at least he has abit of passion and would hopefully transfer that to the players. He obviously has something about him - 3 finals in 12 months isn't bad!

Given Kingspan's difficulties I would say for pretty obvious reasons our aim next year should be to try and get the best out of our own coaching resources.  Whether politics can be forgotten and that can actually be done though remains to be seen. Brady and Hyland with the seniors and Mickey at u21 would be far from the worst thing possible. Again though, going from what Brady done last year when offered the u21 job, it is clear he doesn't want to be anybody's puppet. If we got those two together, I wouldn't be overly fussy which one had the bainesteoir bib, you would hope that they could try come together to rescue Cavan football out of this dark dark hole....

Alot of the current Senior crop have beaten the counties you have mentioned at Underage also. Johnston,McKeever, etc at Minor level beat Donegal and Down and that team at U-21 level with Mulvey,Ciaran Galligan added to it beat Monaghan and Armagh. The 2 scalps we are really badly missing at Underage are Derry and Tyrone and until we can overcome that inferiority complex as regards to these 2 counties, Cavan will not be a force in Ulster. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time I remember Cavan beating Derry at Underage is in 1996 when we beat them well in the U-21 Ulster final. Tyrone, I can't remember.
Next years U-21 team will bring hope but a good Minor team can change alot in 3 years and TBH I would be slightly worried about a few from that team who may not be fulfilling the potential they showed at Minor level. I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.

I'm sure a lot of the current crop have won at underage level but to be honest BooJ, i think at this stage, that they have forgotten how that felt and what it took. you can see it in them on the field - it's so obvious they don't feel as good as other teams they are playing. I think the u21's, call it the fearlessness of youth or whatever you like, but I think those boys are willing to stand up and give it a lash against anyone. If more senior figures could benefit from that and re-energise themselves I think that would be of massive benefit to everyone.

We all know minor is a funny old age, sure look how Givney progressed from minor to now. I would guess quite a lot of the team next would be different but if Mickey was over them he would be familiar with the core of players. I think that is an advantage.

And I would agree would your regarding certain player's developments since 08 but it is worth noting that their first year out of minor was a complete waste of time. Zero effort was put into the u21's in 09 but this year's experience will have helped alot of them. Who's progression has disappointed you??

No harm or anything,I'm not gonna start naming names. Its very easy to sit behind a computer and criticise.Its something I will not do, anymore. Some of that team have been badly hampered with injuries in the last year or 2 and hopefully they will be fully cleared up because I think next years U-21 team could do something. Time will tell how well some lads have developed,physically and probably more importantly mentally.Thats all I'l say.

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on June 14, 2010, 08:19:16 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on June 14, 2010, 07:42:37 PM
Quote from: boojangles on June 14, 2010, 07:26:22 PM
I don't think we should really be speculating until Tommy Truck goes after the qualifiers but for what it's worth here is my opinion. Mickey is a fantastic manager. Everybody under him wants to play and wants to work. But giving him the senior job at this moment in time would be stupid. He has had the last 3 years of minor crops. Surely the sensible thing to do would be to let him continue to work with them and develop them and try to develop belief. Some of the U21's next year have now beaten Antrim, Monaghan, Armagh and Down in Ulster Championship so I don't think they have the same sense of inferiority as some in the senior set-up appear to have. Let's see if he can develop those individuals - the likes of G Mckiernan, Minnagh and McDermott.

Who takes over the senior set-up is a difficult one. We thought when TC was taking over, things couldn't get any worse but now at this stage the only thing that would send us lower is getting bet by London or somone. Hyland seems the logical answer although whether he is up to it, I'm not sure. In fairness I think his record of late is by and large better than any other Cavan man in the country bar McDermott down in Clare. He would need help around him to make a decent go of it - particularly with regards to training I would say but at least he has abit of passion and would hopefully transfer that to the players. He obviously has something about him - 3 finals in 12 months isn't bad!

Given Kingspan's difficulties I would say for pretty obvious reasons our aim next year should be to try and get the best out of our own coaching resources.  Whether politics can be forgotten and that can actually be done though remains to be seen. Brady and Hyland with the seniors and Mickey at u21 would be far from the worst thing possible. Again though, going from what Brady done last year when offered the u21 job, it is clear he doesn't want to be anybody's puppet. If we got those two together, I wouldn't be overly fussy which one had the bainesteoir bib, you would hope that they could try come together to rescue Cavan football out of this dark dark hole....

Alot of the current Senior crop have beaten the counties you have mentioned at Underage also. Johnston,McKeever, etc at Minor level beat Donegal and Down and that team at U-21 level with Mulvey,Ciaran Galligan added to it beat Monaghan and Armagh. The 2 scalps we are really badly missing at Underage are Derry and Tyrone and until we can overcome that inferiority complex as regards to these 2 counties, Cavan will not be a force in Ulster. Correct me if I'm wrong but the last time I remember Cavan beating Derry at Underage is in 1996 when we beat them well in the U-21 Ulster final. Tyrone, I can't remember.
Next years U-21 team will bring hope but a good Minor team can change alot in 3 years and TBH I would be slightly worried about a few from that team who may not be fulfilling the potential they showed at Minor level. I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.

I'm sure a lot of the current crop have won at underage level but to be honest BooJ, i think at this stage, that they have forgotten how that felt and what it took. you can see it in them on the field - it's so obvious they don't feel as good as other teams they are playing. I think the u21's, call it the fearlessness of youth or whatever you like, but I think those boys are willing to stand up and give it a lash against anyone. If more senior figures could benefit from that and re-energise themselves I think that would be of massive benefit to everyone.

We all know minor is a funny old age, sure look how Givney progressed from minor to now. I would guess quite a lot of the team next would be different but if Mickey was over them he would be familiar with the core of players. I think that is an advantage.

And I would agree would your regarding certain player's developments since 08 but it is worth noting that their first year out of minor was a complete waste of time. Zero effort was put into the u21's in 09 but this year's experience will have helped alot of them. Who's progression has disappointed you??

No harm or anything,I'm not gonna start naming names. Its very easy to sit behind a computer and criticise.Its something I will not do, anymore. Some of that team have been badly hampered with injuries in the last year or 2 and hopefully they will be fully cleared up because I think next years U-21 team could do something. Time will tell how well some lads have developed,physically and probably more importantly mentally.Thats all I'l say.

Sorry Boo, selected a poor choice of words there. Very unfair to say any minor has disappointed - it would be more of a case of who hasn't progressed as much as we would have liked. But anyway, I'm not naming names either - that is a long way off and plenty has to be sorted before then if we are gona get back on the road towards the light. People debate over the importance of manager but I think in a county like Cavan a good one is imperative. Most people could go in and manage Tyrone, Mayo, Galway or Kerry. They already have a winning mentalit. With Cavan your trying to build from the bottom up. And boy Jaysus do we need to start building.

Look what has happened in Wexford, Fermanagh, Sligo or Wicklow in recent times. The right man at the helm can give players a new lease of life and the whole county a new sense of optimism. Carr has badly failed to do that in his tenure

mylestheslasher

I've watched the game on the TV since and have calmed down a tad. There were some good points worth noting.

- I thought Fintans kicks were good - nothing he could do about the goal. He's a decent keeper.
- I thought Corr did ok on Carson considering the ball came in with no pressure applied
- I thought Givney and Galligan did well in patches. Givney will take a lot of plaudits for fielding spectacular high ball but Galligan did some nice simple breaks to his team mates. I think Galligan is only 24 and with some coaching he could come good. He is big, strong and athletic - he just needs some direction. Givney is a natural talent and his improvement in the last year or two have been incredible. Go back earlier in this thread and you'll find lots of comments about him being too slow, too clumsy. Look at hoganstand and you'll see plenty say that cos he is with a poor junior team he hasn't a hope. Now he is making the top 5 player lists.
- Nesty was really impressive. Reliable from frees, strong runner, great vision, took a nice point and tackled back. Went boxing at the end and at least that showed that it mattered to him. I hope if Carr goes he sticks around, he has breffni blood in him so no need for him to go anywhere.
- Brennan played well its a pity the ball didn't go into him a bit more as he was the only cavan forward that uses their brain.
- Johnston is still one of the best forwards ability wise in the country. If he were fit I think we could have won but he looked like a man minding himself a bit.
- Mackey is still a good player, one bad game can happen to anyone.

Disapointing aspects...

- Corner backs were so loose it was unreal. Cahill just back from injury so maybe thats what happened. Shierdan is not a man for the FB line. These guys need to step up and show they deserve their place.
- McKeever - I'm just not convinced. He blows hot and cold and is a lad living on reputation from years ago.
- Flanagan - Versatile, dedicated, fit but does he excel in one position, the jury is out.
- Carr - poor subs, poor tactics and poor reading of the game. The single biggest reason we lost that game.

Taking the positives I think it is possible we could beat Wicklow and maybe get some revenge for last year, possibly lifting morale but I fear that Micko can too easily pull the wool over carrs eyes.

whats my name

thanks Myles for the poor junior team bit. >:(

mylestheslasher

Quote from: whats my name on June 14, 2010, 10:20:06 PM
thanks Myles for the poor junior team bit. >:(

I was repeating what others said previously, not my own opinion. Played on junior teams myself so would never go slagging a team based on the level they are at.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Paul Brady missing for Cavan first round qualifier
Paul Brady
Paul Brady (left) was part of the Cavan side which lost to Fermanagh

Paul Brady will miss Cavan's first round football qualifier tie against Wicklow as he defends his US Nationals handball title in Austin, Texas.

Brady's absence will be a major blow to Cavan boss Tommy Carr and the Breffni side but he is fully focused on bidding for a sixth consecutive crown.

"Championship football does take a lot out of you mentally and physically, especially the legs," said Brady.

"I'm trying to balance resting with fine tuning in training this week."

"In terms of handball, it's what I've been training for all year really.

"It's difficult to get yourself into a positive frame of mind after the devastating defeat to Fermanagh but I'm confident about the shape I'm in and the handball I'm playing at the moment," reflected Brady, who lined out at wing-half back for the Cavan side last weekend.

"I suppose I'm trying to put the loss out of my mind, switch off, and re-frame things before I start mentally preparing for next week.

No harm to the Gunner as he has openly stated Handball as his top priority but does anyone else think it's a bit silly having him come in after the league and then miss the next game which he would've done whether we won or lost?

put-it-up

Yeah, no harm to him, If i was in his shoes right now the handball would be my priority to my a mile but it does defy logic to let him come in after the league and then go after the first championship game. Although I would say he would have been available if we had Monaghan coming up. Sums up TC at this stagee though.

i think Gunner is a quality player but he is never going to be the difference between winning a game. Personally I want to see Sheridan given a real try at WB along with McCutcheon, so if Hannon came into the corner I don't think we would lose a whole lot anyway.

Lars

Hello to all fellow posters. I am a long time follower but first time poster to this forum. In the past i have enjoyed reading the views and opinions of everyone here, so thought I'd put some of my own in.
I personally think Paul Brady is a massive loss to the team. He has a massive workrate and covers acres of ground in every game he plays. The amount of times he got forward to join the attack on Saturday was staggering even if his end product was a bit wayward. We just don't have another wing back to match him. With regards to Put It Up's post, yes i completely agree that Sheridan needs to be played further out the field because he really isn't comfortable in the corner but I think playing Hannon is a step in the wrong direction. He is just not up to the standard anymore. He dosent stand out for his club team.

put-it-up

Quote from: Lars on June 17, 2010, 07:54:54 PM
Hello to all fellow posters. I am a long time follower but first time poster to this forum. In the past i have enjoyed reading the views and opinions of everyone here, so thought I'd put some of my own in.
I personally think Paul Brady is a massive loss to the team. He has a massive workrate and covers acres of ground in every game he plays. The amount of times he got forward to join the attack on Saturday was staggering even if his end product was a bit wayward. We just don't have another wing back to match him. With regards to Put It Up's post, yes i completely agree that Sheridan needs to be played further out the field because he really isn't comfortable in the corner but I think playing Hannon is a step in the wrong direction. He is just not up to the standard anymore. He dosent stand out for his club team.

Physically Hannon is in the best shape as I have seen him in a while - he is prob just a game or two off the pace. Plus he is still only about 26 and in fairness to the chap, his club play's him as a forward.

Also If you are going to use that notion to pick lads for the county - the current crop might be in trouble. Think about how many of the current panel consistently excel for their club.

Gunner is a terrific athlete, we all know that, but if he going to be just coming in to play one game a year i think i would put a stop to that. Would people be so accomadating if he was prioritising soccer over football?

What club are you Lars?

Lars

Quote from: put-it-up on June 17, 2010, 09:11:23 PM

Physically Hannon is in the best shape as I have seen him in a while - he is prob just a game or two off the pace. Plus he is still only about 26 and in fairness to the chap, his club play's him as a forward.

Also If you are going to use that notion to pick lads for the county - the current crop might be in trouble. Think about how many of the current panel consistently excel for their club.

Gunner is a terrific athlete, we all know that, but if he going to be just coming in to play one game a year i think i would put a stop to that. Would people be so accomadating if he was prioritising soccer over football?

What club are you Lars?

He may be in the shape of his life but I just dont think he is up to it in terms of quality. Yes i agree that for some strange reason his club persist in playing him as a forward but i personally think that if a player is supposedly up to the standard to be in the county setup he should shine for a club playing at the level that his does..no matter were on the field he is, apart from the goalie I suppose :)

Its unfortunate that Paul has this situation but a place should be made for him regardless. He is a top class footballer and athlete which we just dont have enough of to leave him out when we have him.

put-it-up

Quote from: Lars on June 17, 2010, 09:54:40 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on June 17, 2010, 09:11:23 PM

What club are you Lars?

He may be in the shape of his life but I just dont think he is up to it in terms of quality. Yes i agree that for some strange reason his club persist in playing him as a forward but i personally think that if a player is supposedly up to the standard to be in the county setup he should shine for a club playing at the level that his does..no matter were on the field he is, apart from the goalie I suppose :)

Its unfortunate that Paul has this situation but a place should be made for him regardless. He is a top class footballer and athlete which we just dont have enough of to leave him out when we have him.

I wouldn't say he is outstanding but would have been better than either Sheridan or Cahill at the weekend. Do you honestly argue that point? And why should the goalie not have to stand out at club level? Does that mean you think any fool could play between the sticks?

I'm sorry and I do agree that Brady is a very very good footballer. But how are u meant to build team spirit and a work ethic when a lad misses the whole league and then goes again after one championship match. No harm to Paul, as I said, I would do the same in his boat but I don't think we couldn't survive without him. I understand he has other and more important commitments but if you're in, you're in. Thats my philosophy anyway

Dougal

PIU,i think his point was a good player will stand out in any position,but a goalkeeper wouldnt be expected to to stand out,in,lets say midfield.

i really didnt rate hannon a few months ago,but i think he is a great corner back.never thought much of him at club level,but that was because he carried the ball far too much,which he doesnt do at county level.

Brady is a great player,and we could do with him,but not if he wont fully commit,and if i was in his boots,i would chose the handball.it's not good for the team,when a lad plays 70mins in the league,starts for the 1st match in the champ,and is gone for the second match.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

put-it-up

Quote from: Dougal on June 17, 2010, 11:25:55 PM
PIU,i think his point was a good player will stand out in any position,but a goalkeeper wouldnt be expected to to stand out,in,lets say midfield.

i really didnt rate hannon a few months ago,but i think he is a great corner back.never thought much of him at club level,but that was because he carried the ball far too much,which he doesnt do at county level.

Brady is a great player,and we could do with him,but not if he wont fully commit,and if i was in his boots,i would chose the handball.it's not good for the team,when a lad plays 70mins in the league,starts for the 1st match in the champ,and is gone for the second match.

Fair enough I agree with that!! ;D Again I have seen him and played against him with his club - Drumgoon rely on him to carry the ball. At IC level, he is relatively comfortable on the ball  and if he had a wee bit more agression would make a good corner-back IMO.

On Brady, I agree with you 100%. it sends out a wrong message to others on the panel.

Lars

Quote from: put-it-up on June 17, 2010, 11:30:28 PM
Quote from: Dougal on June 17, 2010, 11:25:55 PM

Fair enough I agree with that!! ;D Again I have seen him and played against him with his club - Drumgoon rely on him to carry the ball. At IC level, he is relatively comfortable on the ball  and if he had a wee bit more agression would make a good corner-back IMO.

On Brady, I agree with you 100%. it sends out a wrong message to others on the panel.

Thats exactly what I was sayin. Dont want to go offending the goalies out there, know they have a hard job. Just wouldnt expect them to be out kicking points although some of them can do it.

I agree with the the point that it sends out the wrong message to the team and is proabably unfair to other members of the panel but i just have the opinion that Paul is a superb footballer of which Cavan dont have many. Due to this think whenever he is available he should be a definite starter.