Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 12, 2010, 08:40:27 PM
That went pretty much as I expected it to.

Agree with most of your comments Put-it-up, I thought we had a reasonable first half but only during the period when we were on top around the middle, any time Fermanagh got past there and worked the ball in, our defence looked all at sea.

Cahill was clearly unfit and beaten to the first three balls in and spent the game struggling, how he survived without being subbed is beyond me. Corr was very poor at fullback as well, any time a high ball went in he looked in trouble and a combination of these two lead to the goal, it seemed to me both panicked and went for the ball in and left their man free. Schoolboy stuff and that was the score that ended the game effectively, the point after it just put the tin hat on it. In the previous play we had equalised at 0-12 apiece and were still in it.

Sheridan doesn't belong in the last line of defence either and should be at wing-back, end of, he really didn't cover himself in glory either.

As expected, Fermanagh turned up to pack the defence and in the second half especially we had simply no clue what to do and whatever gameplan we were supposed to have unravelled totally, just as against Antrim last year. We were just huffing and puffing and hadn't a notion, overhitting hand and foot passes, unforced errors, there was no pattern at all and it was both familiar and depressing to look at. In fairness, credit to Fermanagh here, if we'd defended like they did or were able to (how many kicks did we get blocked down?) we'd be delighted with it, so hats off in that regard.

Once the goal went in Fermanagh just pulled and dragged around the middle to kill the game off, they truly are an eyesore on the game at times (not that Cavan are any great decoration either but that's more through rank incompetence than intentional tactics) but the rules aren't there to prevent teams playing like this because the GAA are more worried about cosmetic nonsense like handpasses and so on when the real blights of the game are going unaddressed. That's not sour grapes, Fermanagh deserved to win and good luck to them.

Bright points? Givney looked decent until Marty McGrath stuck his knee into his back going up for a high ball in the first half, Galligan looked ok the first half too but was anonymous in the second. Nesty has a nice left foot and is a solid free-taker but needs to pass more often and not take on silly shots. Gunner worked hard. Seanie kicked some nice scores but got no service in the second half. Brennan had a decent first half too.

On the minus side Mackey was atrocious apart from one point he kicked in the first half, frequently took the wrong option and tried to justify his reputation every time he got the ball. His left foot is clearly just for standing on and if forced on to it he should lay off, one great opening in the first half was spurned when he didn't pass to Brennan and instead dropped short with his left, very poor. Alan Clarke did nothing for me. We have a fairly weak midfield, and no fullback, and a manager that's extremely slow to change things on the sideline. Taking off the cornerforward (Brennan) when the problems were anywhere but in the forward line just took the biscuit for me.

All in all, we were playing one of the poorer teams in the country along with ourselves and we looked brutal in that second half, like a total rabble. I will not fault the effort or dedication of those lad who went out to play for Cavan tonight and genuinely gave their best but we haven't progressed one jot from the Antrim game last year and will get short shrift in the qualifiers, irrespective of the opposition. Clare or Waterford would beat that Cavan side there today no problems.

Tommy Carr is clearly going nowhere with this team now and will inevitably make way when we get dumped in the qualifiers, although how much better we will do without him is not something I'd even bother contemplating at this stage. Our county senior side is as bad now as I ever can remember, and I was around for that long winless streak pre-1995.

Finally, a word on the referee. Brutal I thought, real neighbouring county referee if ever there was. Not the reason we lost at all, mind you, but Fermanagh got soft frees all day whereas Cavan had to be half-killed. The only thing that went our way was when he didn't book Galligan in the second half for a late tackle in the midfield that would have been his second and a red. And then when the contest was over, suddenly Cavan started getting every free. Pat Fox = CocUnNuT. ;D

Still, shit happens. Harbour no expectations, suffer no disappointments. And on that note, to the pub.

in fairness to Nesty he hadn't a sinner to kick the ball too. Was very happy with his shift. Tried hard and a great footballing brain.

Also agree with boy you boy's. I would have had Hannon cornerback and had Sheridan WB. He is much more at home there. Cahill and Mackey were woeful and lasted the full game.

The fact is the best 15 players in Cavan were not representing Cavan today. That's not the lads that were out theres fault either. They are the ones doing all the hard work and busting a gut to play for Cavan so I will never say they don't deserve to be there when others with better ability don't want to.

A new manager is needed, with a better backroom team, and genuine effort has to be put into a)getting certain club players involved and b)genuinely start introducing u21's to the scene. I dont mean start the whole lot of them, but a couple of them would benefit greatly from a few minutes here and there. There were two of this year's u21's in the whole panel today. Then again most of them are in the states so that shows the incentive they got to go into the set-up. I also know how much time players spend conditon themselves through weights and that. It sound too simple, but surely if we spent the same amount of time working on the basics, cos we were lacking in them in some departments today, that might help a litte bit.

Cavan football at senior level is as low as it has ever been. It is going to take one hell of a manager to turn it around.

And although it wasn't the ref's fault we lost - Jesus he was much. Swore it was Stevie Wonder out there at one stage trying to play a song with a whistle  ;D

Celt_Man

Absolutely gutted.. think that all I can manage at the minute
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

We should just do like Fermanagh done in the 2nd half,every game,
Bunch the whole midfield and defensive area and turn the game into a dogfight and hope we can struggle over the line with scores from Jelly,Mackey and Nesty.
Because this style of play and our lack of midfield options(outside Givney),is leaving us too open and vulnerable at the back.

put-it-up

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 12, 2010, 09:01:13 PM
We should just do like Fermanagh done in the 2nd half,every game,
Bunch the whole midfield and defensive area and turn the game into a dogfight and hope we can struggle over the line with scores from Jelly,Mackey and Nesty.
Because this style of play and our lack of midfield options(outside Givney),is leaving us too open and vulnerable at the back.

Ah I don't really buy that BH man and just because we cant beat them doesn't mean we should join them. That style works for Fermanagh and it can be effective but it doesn't necessarily mean it will work for us. Carr has had our team boss for two years and I still see no sign of a game-plan or style of play.It's down to a manager to devise a system that his players can implement and work with to maximise resources.

The fact is, nearly every team, including Kerry, use some sort of blanket defence. The Key is breaking quickly and effectively. Our wing-forwards Fla and McKeever are ideal to get back and play that game. That is not what I would do playing Fermanagh. I'd work hard on some kind of system that will crack them. Admittedely if I was going to play Monaghan then I would play defensive.

put-it-up

And I don't care what anyone says, we have a few good players. I've seen Sheridan play with DCU, Martin Reilly with DIT and they are as good as anyone at that level. It's just when they play with Cavan there is no confidence, no believe.

Ah enough of this talkign shite, I need a pint.

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on June 12, 2010, 09:24:30 PM
And I don't care what anyone says, we have a few good players. I've seen Sheridan play with DCU, Martin Reilly with DIT and they are as good as anyone at that level. It's just when they play with Cavan there is no confidence, no believe.

or ten... oh wait league games tomorrow >:( >:(
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

Quote from: Celt_Man on June 12, 2010, 09:30:04 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on June 12, 2010, 09:24:30 PM

or ten... oh wait league games tomorrow >:( >:(

Being injured has one plus  ;D I joke

full moon

People are saying sack the manager etc, surely he will resign/go at the end of the year anyway but that isn't the point.

There is something seriously wrong in Cavan football. Without question we got the easiest draw we possibley could have for the 2nd year in a row. Carr is in the job 2 years now, what have we got to show for it? Being knocked of the Ulster Championship at home to Fermanagh and losing to Antrim in a semi final. Things have got to the stage were we are a long way behind Antrim. Antrim for god sake!

I don't care what anyone says, that line up today is filled with alot of absolutely average players who are not county standard. The fact is we have about 6-7 good players and after that the standard is very poor.

Nesty
Givney
Jelly
Sheridan
Gunner
Brennan
McGuigan

7 players there that I would say are definitely as good as most other counties around our level. After that in opinion the level is absolutely dire.

When is the last time Mackey performed in a Cavan jersey? Not upto it, too light and not good enough corner forward.

Flanagan,McKeever two guys who contributed nothing. Don't care what Flanagan has done for his Dublin college, what has he done for Cavan? 

Where are they guys who defended Galligan?

I'm sorry but we are a stage when lads like those mentioned above are FIXTURES in the county team. Regular starters every year, and yet fail to deliver come Championship time.

Others like Cahill, Reilly the GK, Clare, Mossy Corr, Martin Reilly. Defend them all you want they were not upto standard today and most of them aren't up to standard at all.

The fact is, the manager may not be the best but the players are just not there and have not been for several years.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: full moon on June 12, 2010, 10:18:30 PM
People are saying sack the manager etc, surely he will resign/go at the end of the year anyway but that isn't the point.

There is something seriously wrong in Cavan football. Without question we got the easiest draw we possibley could have for the 2nd year in a row. Carr is in the job 2 years now, what have we got to show for it? Being knocked of the Ulster Championship at home to Fermanagh and losing to Antrim in a semi final. Things have got to the stage were we are a long way behind Antrim. Antrim for god sake!

I don't care what anyone says, that line up today is filled with alot of absolutely average players who are not county standard. The fact is we have about 6-7 good players and after that the standard is very poor.

Nesty
Givney
Jelly
Sheridan
Gunner
Brennan
McGuigan

7 players there that I would say are definitely as good as most other counties around our level. After that in opinion the level is absolutely dire.

When is the last time Mackey performed in a Cavan jersey? Not upto it, too light and not good enough corner forward.

Flanagan,McKeever two guys who contributed nothing. Don't care what Flanagan has done for his Dublin college, what has he done for Cavan? 

I'm sorry but we are a stage when lads like those mentioned above are FIXTURES in the county team. Regular starters every year, and yet fail to deliver come Championship time.

Others like Cahill, Reilly the GK, Clare, Mossy Corr, Martin Reilly. Defend them all you want they were not upto standard today and most of them aren't up to standard at all.

The fact is, the manager may not be the best but the players are just not there and have not been for several years.

Good post Full moon.

mylestheslasher

I suspected this would happen but it is still hard to take. We were much the better team in the 1st half but thanks to that idiot of a ref Fermanagh went in 1 behind when it should have been 4. Some of the frees he gave them were pathetic, blowing Johnson for not taking a free after he had interupted him when he started to take it was a joke. I made it 4 14 yard frees he gave Fermanagh (so close even Ruairi Gallagher could score them). But the whole thing unravelled in the 2nd half. I think the lads on the field tried hard but the line is the problem here lads. Fermanagh put 2 sweepers back to stop cavan. At this point the game was crying out for a target man up front (mcKiernan or Ray Galligan) and what does Carr do  takes of the relatively big Brennan and replace him with Martin Reilly!! Our backs got eaten but the whole 1st half Fermanagh had space in abundance. The Cavan team were not hungry enough not tigerish like last year. The manager is a poor motivator and a poor tactician. Fermanagh are a mediocre team and I do believe player for player we are a better team yet they win the match.
I though Corr was ok, Cahill and Shierdan very poor. Clarke poor. Galligan was decent in the 1st half but did far too much flapping at the ball. He needs coaching cos he was inches higher than is opponent but seemed happy to stand behind him and flap a hand at the ball. For god sake man plough through him and catch the bloody thing. I wouldn't give up on him though. Nesty was excellent I thought, he wanted the ball. When they got the goal I seen him shouting and roaring for the ball - others went hiding. Mackey had a nightmare. Cant see us beating anyone in the back door. We need a new manager to inspire the team. It s a young team and this management is not good enough.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 12, 2010, 10:25:36 PM

Nesty
Givney
Jelly
Sheridan
Gunner
Brennan
McGuigan

Good post Full moon.

BHM - I presume you are being sarcastic?

Full Moon is full of shite. Last time Mackey played well for Cavan - how about being our top scorer in the league this year or being man of the match against Fermanagh in championship last year. So basically everyone on the team is shite, can you suggest alternative players then? I am also amazed at the 6/7 "good" players you named. Jaysus, your that wired its a waste of timing typing anymore...

full moon

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 12, 2010, 10:37:01 PM

Nesty
Givney
Jelly
Sheridan
Gunner
Brennan
McGuigan

Good post Full moon.

Full Moon is full of shite. Last time Mackey played well for Cavan - how about being our top scorer in the league this year or being man of the match against Fermanagh in championship last year. So basically everyone on the team is shite, can you suggest alternative players then? I am also amazed at the 6/7 "good" players you named. Jaysus, your that wired its a waste of timing typing anymore...

Mackey was brilliant today though wasn't he? Against one of the worst teams in Ireland, he couldn't get a kick of the ball.
Maybe he should be wing half forward, I don't know, but he shouldn't be in the corner.

I'm sorry but it is you who is deluded. You continue your tirade against the manager Tommy Carr. You probably said the same about Keoghan and previous managers.

Time to wake up, the players aren't there and haven't been for several years. You go on about these "young players". If you mean the likes of Mackey etc, they have been on the county seniors for several years and still we are embarrassed by Fermanagh at home.

You could have Mick O'Dwyer managing this group of players, and he wouldn't do alot better. Sure we might be Fermanagh but not the likes of Armagh,Down,Tyrone,Derry or Monaghan.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 12, 2010, 10:37:01 PM

Nesty
Givney
Jelly
Sheridan
Gunner
Brennan
McGuigan

Good post Full moon.

I agree with elements of his post Myles,
Obviously not about Mackey, we would have been relegated without him this year,he was brilliant throughout the league,he just had an off-day,still a brilliant player.
What i do agree with him though,is that certain established players have done nothing to warrant their place in a numkber of years.
id also disagree with his list of good players however.
Dermot Sheridan wasnt good yesterday,he hasnt produced his DCU form for Cavan.
Id be having very hard looks at a number of starters yesterday as to whether they should warrant a place even in the panel in future
I think im going to just stop talking about the county team until next year,Its leaving me in a bad mood,and im sure im not alone there.
Bring on the Club championships.

BallyhaiseMan

PS,last point
i think we should consider doing what Dublin done this year for next year
Disband the panel,and pick a whole new crop of players alongside the best of the current group.

bring lads like
Oisin Minagh,Kevin Tierney,Barry Reily,Gearoid McKiernan,Declan McKiernan etc into the team and let them have a go at it.

Also give fringe players like Eoin Smith etc of the Current group,a proper chance.

New Manager also needs to do whatever is necessary to get the Gaels lads into the panel.
Certain ex members in the know didnt commit because they werent impressed with what was being said about the set-up.
6/7 members of the current panel should be axed.