Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglocelt39

Other posters have said it already so I won't rehash. A one point win will do me fine. Serious championship inexperience but that had to come with retirements and the need to clean out some deadwood. If we can manage a win, perform creditably against the Mushroom pickers, win one game in the qualifiers and have lads showing determination, pride and some footballing awareness I would take that as progress right now. Equally important that our minors would somehow or other get over Armagh, a huge ask but maybe not beyond the bounds. That alone would seal or most successful year at underage in god knows how long (taking under 21's into account) and might give us a bit of momentum for the future. Finally, I wouldn't be looking down my nose too far at what our juniors are doing either, any prospect for lads to put on a cavan jersey and develop a winning habit is no bad thing. Not a bit of harm for the likes of McPhillips, Mulvey etc. to be getting a run around Croke park.

Anyway, best of luck to all concerned. I've no doubt they've put a hell of an effort in over the last few months. Just hope the vast majority of lads can produce their very best tomorrow, after that you can ask no more
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

FermGael

I see some of the posters on here are thinking that fermanagh will be playing the swarm defence.  We will.
I think that Cavan are going to adapt the exact same tactic as Fermanagh and will hope(like last year) that Johnston and Mackey will be the difference.
It's going to be awful to watch.

Where is decent to watch the world cup after the match is over??
I am refusing to go to the imperial because the price of a pint in it is a joke.
You would get cheaper in Dublin
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mylestheslasher

Quote from: FermGael on June 11, 2010, 10:58:45 AM
I see some of the posters on here are thinking that fermanagh will be playing the swarm defence.  We will.
I think that Cavan are going to adapt the exact same tactic as Fermanagh and will hope(like last year) that Johnston and Mackey will be the difference.
It's going to be awful to watch.

I am refusing to go to the imperial because the price of a pint in it is a joke.

Breffni Inn is the place to go! You will be treated like royalty in there  :D

Celt_Man

Jaysus I can't wait for tomorrow... getting giddy here even thinking about it.   ;D

No matter whether both teams employ a swarm defence or not that sort of game still can be entertaining - but no doubt Cavan and Fermanagh will be slated regardless by Spaillane and co if they produce anything short of the greatest game ever played.

A lot has been said already about the line up etc so I'm not gonna bother but bascially if mid field can win enough ball for Johnston and Mackey inside with Nesty hopefully controlling the forward on the '40 we will be there or there abouts.

I will admit to not knowing a helluva lot about Fermanagh but at the same time, when I heard their team this morning, there are a good few boys on it who would be familiar to most... Ronan Gallagher, Ryan McCluskey, James Sherry, Marty McGrath, David Keenan, Mark Little and our own Rory Gallagher.  Fermanagh are gonna be very dangerous, seriously waiting in the long grass here...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

Quote from: tierworker blue on June 10, 2010, 11:55:13 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 10, 2010, 05:12:39 PM
Great win and I see from Hoganstand that they will be playing Louth in the Final in Croke Park. 

Hopefully this will be only our first visit to Croke Park this year.

When is that final?

27th June I think.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 11, 2010, 11:34:07 AM
Quote from: tierworker blue on June 10, 2010, 11:55:13 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 10, 2010, 05:12:39 PM
Great win and I see from Hoganstand that they will be playing Louth in the Final in Croke Park. 

Hopefully this will be only our first visit to Croke Park this year.

When is that final?

27th June I think.

Nope it's changed, it was meant to be the 27th as part of a triple header with the two Leinster semi finals but because Peter Fitzpatrick is over Louth Senior and Juniors, the Junior game can't be on the same day as the Louth Seniors semi final.  Doubt it will be in Croker now

Denn Forever

Quote from: FermGael on June 11, 2010, 10:58:45 AM

How about the Meadowview out the Dublin Road or the Kesh out the Ballinagh Road?
means what he says...

BigMac

Another quitter. I cant understand lads putting in all that effort all year and then the day before the championship quitting the panel. Im surprised at Cullivan, I know he probably thinks he is deserving of a place (and hes probably right), but he should know that hes not always going to get what he wants. Unless he changes his mind, and Tommy lets him back, he will be a loss, as I do think he would have been used at some stage tomorrow, and in the monaghan/qualifier game.
From the Hoganstand:
Ray Cullivan has withdrawn himself from the Cavan squad after being left out of the starting team for Saturday's Ulster SFC quarter-final against Fermanagh.

Cullivan, who was a focal point in DCU's Sigerson Cup success earlier this year, played a minimal part in the Breffni County's past National Football League campaign but was thought to be in line for a start for the showdown with the Erne men.

However, with the recent return of ace forward Sean Johnston from injury, the 21-year-old Ballyhaise man was named among the substitutes when Carr announced his team on Tuesday and since that time Cullivan has opted to quit the panel.

Cavan play Fermanagh in their provincial championship opener tomorrow at Kingspan Breffni Park (throw-in 5.15pm).

cavan4sam

Id like to hear from BHMan, what do you think of this decision by Ray? Im only asking as you know him better than any of us. I didn't think that he was the type to throw his toys out of the pram.

Denn Forever

Is this another smokescreen from Hoganstand a la Sean Johnson going for another operation.  Hope so.

Is there a game before the main event?
means what he says...

cavanmaniac

Seriously disappointing if true. Won't say too much as perhaps BH Man has a more revealing inside line on it, but if this is nothing more than a brattish reaction to not getting his place, then cheerio as far as I'm concerned.

It's a team game and if he has so much overflowing belief in how deserving he is of a place, why not hang around to show it on the field like he should when he inevitably got brought on as a sub at some stage? Why cough up a year's training in the blink of an eye?

This sort of stuff really annoys me, I know he's highly regarded by some but Cullivan still has it all to prove in the Cavan jersey so where the superstar complex is coming from is beyond me.

mylestheslasher

I hope that is bullshit becuase unless Carr has done something outrageous then it would be a disgraceful decision by Cullivan and to be honest I never would have put him down as a guy that would do this, especially the day before the game.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4sam on June 11, 2010, 03:24:06 PM
Id like to hear from BHMan, what do you think of this decision by Ray? Im only asking as you know him better than any of us. I didn't think that he was the type to throw his toys out of the pram.

Its disappointing C4Sam,
Ray's a very competitive lad who eats,drinks and breaths football,im very very suprised at this.
im sure he was gutted not to be starting,as  few players in the county look after themselves better and train as hard as Ray.
i dont think we've heard the full story here.
im based in dublin during the week so wouldnt hear the gossip from home,il be informed tonight at training and then il pass it on via pm.

cavan4sam

Cheers BHMan, if i hear anything from any of the lads ill fill you in.

Celt_Man

Holy jaysus... that is some stunt if 100% true... hope it doesn't disrupt things too much