Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theobald

The selection process for the Cavan Junior team baffles me...... How do they come up with these selections? For instance, I notice that Paddy Bird from Bailieborough is on the panel. I'm not suprised by this because I think he deserves it and probably deserves a crack at the senior squad too. However, Declan O'Reilly from the same club, who played a couple of games for the seniors in the McKenna Cup already this year, has not been selected. That just seems weird to me!! How can a lad be good enough for McKenna Cup while not being considered for the Junior team??....... I'm just using those two guys as an example because I know what they are both capable of, being from the same club. I'm sure there are other anomolies aswell....... Anyway, it all begs the question as to what type of effort is being put into this junior squad selection...... I'd also be wondering if this junior team is of any benefit to the county's development or to the the benefit of the selected players. I don't think they even have any training sessions together before matches!!!! Seems like a bit of a waste of time and money to me.

Celt_Man

Best of luck to the Minors on Sunday... a win there would be a nice lift
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

By the by, the joke that is the 2009 Div 1 final is now over...

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/localgaa/articles/2010/05/26/3997403-2009-acfl-farce-reaches-conclusion/

2009 ACFL farce reaches conclusion

The drawn-out saga concerning the 2009 ACFL Division One final has finally come to a conclusion, with county board PRO Declan Woods confirming that "the matter is now closed".

The ACFL Division One title was originally awarded to Cavan Gaels by the CCC some weeks ago. However, Castlerahan - who, it is understood, had stated in writing that they were conceding the tie which was fixed for Wednesday April 14 - then appealed the decision to the Ulster Council.

In a further twist, the provincial body threw out the case on a technicality only for Castlerahan and Cavan Gaels to reach an agreement to play the match at a meeting attended by two officials of each club and members of the CCC and county executive on Wednesday May 19 in the Hotel Kilmore.

The CCC agreed to accomodate a request to re-fix the final and brought forward Round 14 of the ACFL so that the clubs could meet. However, for reasons which are not clear, Cavan Gaels had a change of heart and informed the CCC last Monday night week (May 14) that they were unwilling to play the tie.

"Cavan county board did their level best to accomodate both clubs but the matter is now closed," stated Woods.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 28, 2010, 03:17:44 PM
By the by, the joke that is the 2009 Div 1 final is now over...

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/localgaa/articles/2010/05/26/3997403-2009-acfl-farce-reaches-conclusion/

2009 ACFL farce reaches conclusion

The drawn-out saga concerning the 2009 ACFL Division One final has finally come to a conclusion, with county board PRO Declan Woods confirming that "the matter is now closed".

The ACFL Division One title was originally awarded to Cavan Gaels by the CCC some weeks ago. However, Castlerahan - who, it is understood, had stated in writing that they were conceding the tie which was fixed for Wednesday April 14 - then appealed the decision to the Ulster Council.

In a further twist, the provincial body threw out the case on a technicality only for Castlerahan and Cavan Gaels to reach an agreement to play the match at a meeting attended by two officials of each club and members of the CCC and county executive on Wednesday May 19 in the Hotel Kilmore.

The CCC agreed to accomodate a request to re-fix the final and brought forward Round 14 of the ACFL so that the clubs could meet. However, for reasons which are not clear, Cavan Gaels had a change of heart and informed the CCC last Monday night week (May 14) that they were unwilling to play the tie.

"Cavan county board did their level best to accomodate both clubs but the matter is now closed," stated Woods.

Both clubs really are setting a great example to the youth of the county ::)
Best of luck to the minors on Sunday, would appreciate a report from any of the lads that can make it as I won't be able to.

sams the aim

Celt_Man

ACFL Division 1

Killygarry  1-12 1-11 Ramor United   
Ballinagh  1-11 3-4 Mullahoran   
Lacken  1-10 1-18 Gowna 
Denn  1-12 0-12 Castlerahan 
Lavey  0-8 0-15 Cavan Gaels   
Kingscourt  0-17 0-4 Redhills   
Killeshandra  1-8 2-9 Belturbet 

ACFL Division 2

Drumgoon  1-12 1-12 Drumalee   
Bailieboro  2-10 2-10 Drung 
Drumlane  1-18 0-4 Kill   
Knockbride  1-12 0-10 Cootehill   

ACFL Division 3

Cornafean  0-12 1-5 Kildallan 
Mountnugent  0-14 3-9 Ballymachugh   

Swadman

Fair play to you Celt Man. Only for ya I would have to wait 5 days for a result to be put up on Aertel. Smoke signals would be faster than Cavans Aertel page at the moment.
Best of luck to the Minors BTW Brian Treacy is the physical trainer for Fermanagh and trained our bucks last year, had them fitter than they had ever been. Nice fella and a very good trainer - but I still think Cavan will edge it. Come on the Blues. 

put-it-up

Lads just wondering if any of you know if the dates are out for the championship games this summer? More interested in the Intermediate than anything else?

Best of luck to the minors to - I'll prob head down so I'll give a bit of report when i get home.

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on May 29, 2010, 01:07:41 PM
Lads just wondering if any of you know if the dates are out for the championship games this summer? More interested in the Intermediate than anything else?

Best of luck to the minors to - I'll prob head down so I'll give a bit of report when i get home.

Intermediate championship starts from Thursday 22nd July to Sunday 25th... We're playing Killinkere on Sunday in Breffni and I think Bailieboro are playing on the Saturday against the Gaels.

Then we're playing you the following week again in Breffni, no date set yet for the third round of the group stages

put-it-up

Quote from: Celt_Man on May 29, 2010, 02:26:51 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on May 29, 2010, 01:07:41 PM

Intermediate championship starts from Thursday 22nd July to Sunday 25th... We're playing Killinkere on Sunday in Breffni and I think Bailieboro are playing on the Saturday against the Gaels.

Then we're playing you the following week again in Breffni, no date set yet for the third round of the group stages

Good man CM, I had a root around the emails and found them alright - there is obv no master plan out for the championship then no? Gael second team is going to be hit big-time through young lads heading to the states.

Redhills are another club that will suffer big-time.

boojangles

Swadman you should check the Arva club website,it seems to be fastest with results.

Best of luck to the Minors.Haven't seen them yet but they have some fine footballers and hopefully they get a good support like the Under 21s got.

Alot of clubs will be hit with lads heading off although the Gaels are losing an unreal amount. Mullahoran had a few departures this week too.

put-it-up

Quote from: boojangles on May 29, 2010, 03:08:39 PM
Swadman you should check the Arva club website,it seems to be fastest with results.

Best of luck to the Minors.Haven't seen them yet but they have some fine footballers and hopefully they get a good support like the Under 21s got.

Alot of clubs will be hit with lads heading off although the Gaels are losing an unreal amount. Mullahoran had a few departures this week too.

i saw the minors twice, I wasn't overly impressed. They have a good work-ethic though and its a typical Mickey Graham team. No real individuals stars.

One area I would be concerned about is Midfield though. No real height or presence there from what I have seen. Couple of good backs in the team too.

Should be a tight game,  Fermanagh are meant to be decent this year.

mylestheslasher

9 point win for minors I believe. Sounds like a great performance but wasn't at it so hopefully some of ye can let me know.

cavanmaniac

Leading 2-5 to 1-6 at half-time, won 2-16 to 1-10 in the end. Good result especially if Fermanagh were decent this year like people have been saying, although the Armagh lads are in our half of the draw and are supposed to be a very tough outfit as well.

put-it-up

Great performance today was delighted with it.

Brady and Flanagan were excellent in attack and Conroy from Lavey showed a real eye for a pass. I raised concerns over the MF area but in fairness the two boys there done there work with minimum fuss and just broke eveything down. Conor Moynagh reminds me of  BarryWatters when he was younger - looks a very good footballer and the two cornerbacks that started gave away nothing. The number 3 did struggle to deal with his man but the Fermanagh boy was a right handful. Most of the Cavan Lads performed well to be fair and it was a fairly open game of football. Cavan, as i said before, are a typical Mickey Graham team. Well drilled, organised and commited. Big test for them now against Armagh on June 27 (I think)!

Team to start was
Conor Gilsenan Bboro
Aiden Moran Ballyhaise
Jason McLoughlin Shannon G
Shane Clarke Shercock
Paul McEvoy Xlough
Aaron Smith Lavey
Conor Moynagh Drumgoon
Paul Graham Gaels
Turloc Mooney Redhills
Fergal Flanagan BBridge
Chris Conroy Lavey