Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

We beat Shercock yesterday evening over in East Cavan,we were minus a fair few regulars but had a strong team nonetheless.
Shercock were the best team in the first half,with Michael O Reily fielding some great ball,
2nd half saw Ray Cullivan move to midfield and he and O Reily had a great aerial battle with Cullivan coming out on top
Kevin Tierney ran riot scoring 2-3/2-4 in the second half most of it from fantastic ball in by Cullivan.
Sean McCormack was very good at Full back,Barry McCrudden was also good at MF,I was very impressed with Shercock yesterday,its hard to believe they are a junior championship team.
We are coming along bit by bit,not where we would want to be,but hopefully we will get there.

mylestheslasher

So what midfield partnership do Ye think for fermanagh. Givney has to start but I  reckon galligan is best option cos we need workers in the middle. I'd like to see cullivan at wing forward and Brennan at full forward. It is within our ability to win but you never get an easy ride against fermanagh

Dougal

im just about going for galligan,himself and mulvey look to have improved a bit since last year,but galligans just ahead of him IMO.dont think cullivan would take either mckeever or flanagans place at wing forward,id be starting him full forward,mickey brennan is a good player,but is liable to fumble the ball quite a bit.will corr be fit for the game against fermanagh?id rather have sheridan FB,but just wondering what tommy has to work with.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on May 11, 2010, 09:50:48 PM
im just about going for galligan,himself and mulvey look to have improved a bit since last year,but galligans just ahead of him IMO.dont think cullivan would take either mckeever or flanagans place at wing forward,id be starting him full forward,mickey brennan is a good player,but is liable to fumble the ball quite a bit.will corr be fit for the game against fermanagh?id rather have sheridan FB,but just wondering what tommy has to work with.

You might get away with shierdan against Fermanagh but he's not a FB imo, last year showed me that. I think Carr needs to stick with Corr after investing so much effort in him for that position up to now and see can he step up on the big stage. Its a real worry that we don't seem to have the makings of a FB at senior level. Before anyone suggests it I don't think Dunne will make it in that position either. Its def our weak spot.
I saw Brennan in 2 games this year at FF and I thought he did well. He showed well, made intelligent runs and won good ball but he certainly didn't make good use of it all the time. But I saw potential and he has a good football brain and will lay of ball for others. Cullivan out the field gives us another option from kick outs. McKeever or Flanagan could move into the backs.

Dougal

dunne is as good as what we have or close to it,and should improve in time,but i think he still wont make a great FB,but should be decent.mickey has shown signs of being a very good FF all league,but some constant simple little mistakes,have let him down,if he can cut them out,ill be happy to have him FF.to move mckeever or flanagan into the half backs means you have to get rid of mccutcheon brady or cahill(im guessing the wing backs will be 2 of these 3)and i dont see any need for that when cullivan is as good an option for FF as we have.but anyway,thats my 2 cents.

id imagine johnston is highly unlikely to start against fermanagh?if he isnt fit,who should take his place?id like to see bud fitz get a try.

Denn Forever

From Hoganstand.  Best of Luck lads.  The Minor team is a few years?

John O Shea and Andy Mc Govern, both from Killygarry.

BT D'Alton Cup final, Thursday 2pm, Pearse Og Armagh :

Abbey Newry v St Patrick's Cavan

In a break from the norm, Abbey and St Patrick's Cavan will serve up a novel pairing in Thursday's BT D'Alton Cup final in Pearse Og grounds Armagh.

Neither are frequent visitors to Colleges' final, although the Abbey did lift the MacRory and Hogan double a couple of seasons back and Cavan collected a Rannafast title back in 2004.

Abbey are bidding for a fifth D'Alton title, their last being in 1994, when future Down stars Michael Walsh, Ronan Sexton, Danny Hughes, Damien Rafferty and Armagh's Barry Shannon featured.

Abbey, like their opponents, have had an impressive run to the final with 5 straight victories including a quarter-final against St Michael's Enniskillen that saw their narrowest winning margin - 5 points.

In the semi final they beat Omagh 3-15 to 1-8, with 1-7 bagged by centre-forward Ryan Treanor, son of former Down star John "Shorty" Treanor.

Captain Sheagh Dobbin and his midfield partner Conor McCoy played in last year's team that reached the semi-final, but a third star of that team Killian McEvoyhas picked up an injury and misses out.

Cavan had to beat St Patrick's Maghera twice to reach this final, firstly in the group stages and then on Monday last in the semi-final when a 2-4 blast inside a five minutes' spell early in the second half closed the Derry boys out of the game.

Their run to the final is all the more significant in that they have only one age-group to chose from in comparison to two in Six County schools.

A lot could hinge on how Colin McCabe and Matthew McKenna fare in the midfield battle with Dobbin and McCoy, as both attacks appear pretty fast and accurate, provided they have enough possession.

It is an interesting final and a win for either would raise hopes of more to follow later in their school careers.

St Patrick's Cavan : Mark Fegan, Glen Brady, Jason Rahill, Declan Lunney, Cian McManus, Thomas Galligan, Paul Sexton, Colin McCabe, Matthew McKenna, Ronan O'Reilly, Ryan Connolly, Pierce Smith, Brian Sheanon, Ben Conaty, Darragh Gannon.

Substitutes: Tommy Boylan, Dominic Carney, Dylan Donohoe, Darragh Duggan, Stephen Enright, Ryan Galligan, Dillon Kiernan, Donovan McCaffrey, Aaron Reilly, Shane Smith, Pauric Sweeney.
Abbey : Aaron Campbell, John Catterson, Fergus Quinn, Thomas Looney, Cathair McKinney, Shea Gregory, Luke Byrne, Sheagh Dobbin (captain), Conor McCoy, Joe Rock, Ryan Treanor, Ruairi Campbell, Niall Rafferty, Shane Fitzpatrick, Ronan McGrath.

Subs : Cillian Burns, Gavin Fox, Steven Fegan, Ardghal McMahon, Gavin Carvill, Emmet Irwin, James Carragher, Conor Nugent, Niall Quinn, Tarlach Byrne, Caolon O'Reilly, Killian McEvoy.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BigMac

Despite being relegated from Division 1 of the NFL, Tyrone have been instilled by Ladbrokes as 11/8 favourites to win the Ulster SFC.

Picking the finalists might prove more profitable and should the top two seeds Monaghan and Tyrone reach the final Ladbrokes.com will pay out at 9/2.

Commenting Hayley O'Connor, spokesperson for Ladbrokes, said: "Even though they had an uninspired league you can never right off Tyrone and no doubt Mickey Harte has something up his sleeve to warrant their status as Ulster Championship favourites."

Ladbrokes.com Ulster SFC tournament winner selection odds

Tyrone - 11/8

Monaghan - 5/1

Down - 7/1

Derry - 8/1

Armagh - 9/1

Donegal - 10/1

Cavan - 14/1

Fermanagh - 18/1

Antrim - 20/1

Suprised Antrim are at 20/1. They probably wont win ulster but they would a better chance than us, Fermanagh and possibly Donegal. Who does every one think will win it? I personally think Down will be there or there abouts.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BigMac on May 12, 2010, 03:54:16 PM
Despite being relegated from Division 1 of the NFL, Tyrone have been instilled by Ladbrokes as 11/8 favourites to win the Ulster SFC.

Picking the finalists might prove more profitable and should the top two seeds Monaghan and Tyrone reach the final Ladbrokes.com will pay out at 9/2.

Commenting Hayley O'Connor, spokesperson for Ladbrokes, said: "Even though they had an uninspired league you can never right off Tyrone and no doubt Mickey Harte has something up his sleeve to warrant their status as Ulster Championship favourites."

Ladbrokes.com Ulster SFC tournament winner selection odds

Tyrone - 11/8

Monaghan - 5/1

Down - 7/1

Derry - 8/1

Armagh - 9/1

Donegal - 10/1

Cavan - 14/1

Fermanagh - 18/1

Antrim - 20/1

Suprised Antrim are at 20/1. They probably wont win ulster but they would a better chance than us, Fermanagh and possibly Donegal. Who does every one think will win it? I personally think Down will be there or there abouts.

Its a decent price on Antrim but the reasons are that they are on the strong side of the draw and playing against the favourites. Also, there has to be some questions about them now after the kicking Sligo gave them. God forgive me for saying this but If i were to look at the draw I think Monaghan will be in with a shout. Personally I don't fancy Down much, they always look like a team that melts when the going gets tough - which it will on their side of the draw.

SamWheagle

Hi folks,

I'm the New Media co-ordinator for Gaelic Life, over the past few weeks we have been posting videos of our Big Interview's, this week's is with Paul Brady, we have had a good response so far so if you'd like to watch, visit www.gaeliclife.com , sorry for the unadulterated plug.

Cheers,

Tim McCann

Babe Ruth 47

Great news about the Dalton, anyone know what clubs the lads are from?

Celt_Man

Quote from: Babe Ruth 47 on May 13, 2010, 03:11:44 PM
Great news about the Dalton, anyone know what clubs the lads are from?

They won I take it?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Blue06

Dalton Cup Final 
St Pats 3.09 Abbey CBS 0:04 according to Northern Sound

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Blue06 on May 13, 2010, 05:05:33 PM
Dalton Cup Final 

Fantastic achievement given the obvious disadvantage St Pats are at.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 13, 2010, 07:11:06 PM
Quote from: Blue06 on May 13, 2010, 05:05:33 PM
Dalton Cup Final 

Fantastic achievement given the obvious disadvantage St Pats are at.
Excuse the ignorance but what disadvantage is that?

Dougal

something along the lines of they could only pick from one age group whereas teams from the north can pick from two.congrats to everyone involved.