Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handballer09

That motion was put forward by a club (Shannon Gaels), passed by club delegates at the Convention last December and then passed by county delegates at GAA Congress.
Of course, the board (ie the executive) gets slated, when it was nothing to do with them.
Come on lads, get real!

Denn Forever

The pitch is in Crosskeys so if you have ever been to the Springs some coutin may have been done there (if the dressing rooms were left open).

When you get to Crosskeys from Cavan Town turn left and find a parking space.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: handballer09 on April 27, 2010, 03:34:11 PM
That motion was put forward by a club (Shannon Gaels), passed by club delegates at the Convention last December and then passed by county delegates at GAA Congress.
Of course, the board (ie the executive) gets slated, when it was nothing to do with them.
Come on lads, get real!

It is an embarrassment nonetheless...  But it was passed at the County Convention - otherwise it wouldn't have went to Congress (am I right there?) so all the clubs are at fault in this one
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Dougal

cheers DF.

they're putting a meeting room in breffni,because their giving the kilmore 45K a year,to host the county board meetings.45K a year is a joke,about time they decided to change this.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Dougal on April 27, 2010, 02:40:32 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 27, 2010, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: Dougal on April 27, 2010, 11:53:31 AM
im from kildallon,went to school in killeshandra though,thats why i played for them and why i support them,infact,if someone asked me where i was from id say killeshandra.it's the same thing with the belturbet lads,any of the lads that are from drumlane went to school in belturbet.i suppose it's understandable,but a bit unfair on the small towns who already have it hard enough.now,taking lads from crosserlough and shannon gaels,thats pushing it a bit. :D

denn forever,i hear corr cahill and mcphllips are all injured,any of them back for the match on friday?
Most of the Division 1 games are on Friday it seems-were they recently changed?

dont know,i was told yesterday that they were on,on friday.

denn forever,where is your pitch?

myles,do you know why adie burns and justin hayes arent playing this year?injuries?

Justin is finished playing unfortunately on doctors advise which is really tough for him cos he loved playin ball. Adie has a recurring groin injury which he has been struggling with for a while but he hoping to get back playing soon.  The lads are doing well without them at the moment so fair play to them. Nows the time to be winning games in Div 1, taking a few teams by surprise.

Dougal

thats a shame bout justy,great player.good to hear about adie though,he must be 33 or 34 now?absolutely class player.

Swadman

Extract from Martin Brehenny article: "The GAA invites applications from suitably qualified persons to work as silver craft adjusters. Responsibilities to include altering cups and trophies so as to render them incapable of holding liquids of any kind.

Apply to: Decommissioning of Cups as Weapons of Mass Drinking Dept, Croke Park, Dublin 3.

The vacancies arise from last weekend's Congress decision to launch a vigorous onslaught on the time-honoured tradition of celebrating success with a swig from the precious silverware. A rule was already in place declaring it illegal to fill cups with any alcoholic drinks and was punishable by a 12-week ban for any miscreant who tipped a tot -- large or small -- into a trophy.

Of course it was impossible to apply the rule even if anybody had the appetite to attempt to ascertain who exactly emptied that bottle of champagne into the Junior B cup. Besides, the evidence would have disappeared very quickly.

Step forward Shannon Gaels, home club to the parishes of Killinagh, Glangevlin and Doobally in Cavan, complete with a proposal, which was backed by the County Convention, for a significant addition to the rule: "All cups or trophies shall be altered to prevent the placing of any liquids therein."
OH the embarrassment- Hillarious for anyone else.
P.S.
You are all invited to the Carnival weekend in Swad, there will be drinking - but not from cups !! 
See website for details

PhilsJemmysField

SWADMAN -- Put your coat on and your platform shoes come to Killinkere Saturday Night to Abbaesque. We are down Tom Reilly country on Sunday and we can swing past the home of St Mary's then and return the favour.   We will be drinking out of Mugs, Cups and boots if we have to ----

Denn Forever

And you have the Whit Jamboree to come.  Going into training early?

Any idea of what will be at this years Jamboree?
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Just read in the match report on Hoganstand from Ballinagh - Belturbet that Padraic O'Reilly left the Cavan panel recently?  Anyone else hear about it?

Celt_Man

Tribesmen too strong for injury-hit Cavan

Comments (0) | Print | Email

Image related to story 3996717, see caption or article text
Gareth Smith had a lively match at centre-forward for Cavan.

Galway 2-12

Cavan 1-8

IN the first of a series of challenge games before the Ulster championship clash with Fermanagh in June, Cavan travelled to St Lohan's grounds in Mullingar on Friday night last to take on Galway. Cavan were without twelve of the panel through various injuries and unavailability and the game had little value from Cavan's perspective except to honour the fixture.

Cavan's absentees included Dermot Sheridan, Owen McPhillips. Tomas Corr, Martin Cahill, Eoin McGuigan, Paul Brady, Nicholas Walsh, Lorcan Mulvey, Cian Mackey, Martin Reilly and Sean Johnston.

Notwithstanding such a handicap against a strong, experienced Galway side, Cavan enjoyed a good start and led by 1-2 to 0-0 after eleven minutes, Michael Brennan and Gareth Smith getting the points, Smith's effort coming after a goal attempt by Brennan was deflected for a 45 and Smith scored from the free. The goal in between these scores came when a long ball from Mullahoran player, Philip Brady, was sent towards the Galway square and Raymond Galligan got a touch to the ball to send the ball to the net after only four minutes.

That was as good as it got for the Breifne side. Galway had been slow to get into their stride and the nearest they came to a major score was an effort from Gary Sice in the seventh minute which went wide. Cavan were pegged back on the defensive for long periods following their confident start and goalkeeper Darren Murphy saved from Matthew Clancy at the expense of a 45. Galway strengthened their attack with the introduction of Padraic Joyce after eighteen minutes and it coincided with a concerted effort by the Tribesman.

Nicky Joyce, playing at left-corner forward, shot three points in an eight minute spell. The same player was again on target in response to a Gareth Smith free, the latter score coming in the 29th minute for Cavan's first score for eighteen minutes. Joyce's point in the 32nd minute was his fourth of the opening period.

Galway eventually drew level through Owen Concannon two minutes from half-time and sub Paul Conroy edged the Connacht side in front one minute later to leave the score at the interval, Galway 0-7 Cavan 1-3.

Scores were scarce in the early stages of the second-half. Raymond Galligan, now operating at full-forward, converted a free after two minutes to tie the scores for the second time before Paul Conroy had his second point for Galway one minute later to go one ahead, 0-8 to 1-4.

Nicky Joyce stretched the lead five minutes later as both sides introduced a number of subs. Seven minutes later, Galway had victory within their grasp when Padraic Joyce shot to the net in the fifteenth minute for a five point lead and five minutes later, Paul Conroy added a second for a 2-9 to 1-4 lead, Cavan having failed to score for some eighteen minutes, managing only one score in the opening two minutes.

As Galway relaxed their grip, Cavan launched a number of attacks. One such effort resulted in a penalty in the 58th minute. It came following a long ball from Mark McKeever into Philip Brady. The Mullahoran player was fouled in the square but Gareth Smith's effort came back off the woodwork and was cleared out of danger.

There was little threat to Galway's comfortable position with some eleven minutes remaining as Gareth Smith and Nicky Joyce swapped points. Another Galway sub. Danny Commins also found the target as the game entered its closing stages. Cavan sub David Givney made his presence felt with two quick points and the last two scores of the game were shared by Owen Concannon and Philip Brady.

Cavan team manager, Tommy Carr, will be anticipating a much stronger side to face the Dubs in their next outing as the search goes on for the eventual championship-winning combination.

Galway: Owen Connolly; Alan Burke, Finian Hanley, Donal O'Neill; Garry O'Donnell, Diarmuid Blake, Thomas Fahy; Barry Cullinan, Damian Dunleavy; Gary Sice, Matthew Clancy (0-1), Joe Bergin; Owen Concannon (0-2), Killian de Paor, Nicky Joyce (0-6).

Subs: Paraic Joyce (1-0), Paul Conroy (1-2), Danny Commins (0-1).Niall Coyne, Conor Healy.

Cavan: Darren Murphy; Michael Hannon, Owen Smith, Michael Johnston; Michael Brides, Dane O'Dowd, John McCutcheon; Ciaran Galligan, Ray Cullivan; Mark McKeever, Gareth Smith (0-3), Ronan Flanagan; Raymond Galligan (1-1), Michael Brennan (0-1), Philip Brady (0-1).

Subs: David Givney (0-2), Damien Reilly, Declan McKiernan.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Cheers Celt Man. That report throws up a few questions such as where has Brides been and what's his status now? Is Michael Johnson really Mark Johnson in disguise? What's the deal with Brady from Mullahoran and who is Damien Reilly?

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 28, 2010, 06:33:55 PM
Cheers Celt Man. That report throws up a few questions such as where has Brides been and what's his status now? Is Michael Johnson really Mark Johnson in disguise? What's the deal with Brady from Mullahoran and who is Damien Reilly?

Aye reckon that's Mark Johnson from Cornafean.  Damien Reilly is from Belturbet - was in involved with the squad during the McKenna - nearly sure he was.  I saw in the Mullahorn club notes that Philip Brady was called into the panel last week alright...

Obviously they were very thin on the ground for numbers for that fixture whether a few of those are now on the panel or were simply called in for that game I don't know?

Denn Forever

Cavan team manager, Tommy Carr, will be anticipating a much stronger side to face the Dubs in their next outing as the search goes on for the eventual championship-winning combination.

When/Where will this game be played?
means what he says...

Dougal

3g pitch monday at half 3,i think.paul brady is doing a handball exhibition at 2 on monday aswell.