Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Did I hear correctly?  On Northern Sound Cian Mackey explained the number of wides on both sides was due to each side not been used to the good weather!

Anyone who was at the match care to give a report on the game.  Are there green shoots or is it same ole same old?

But was a gorgeous day and I hope everyone managed to wear some sunscreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lawrence of Knockbride

I was at it but the sun has drained the energy from me. The second half was worthy of Mackey's excuse-terrible. Shooting from both sides was terrible but the visitors were the most guilty. A day to remember the weather only.

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan had that heavy legged look,like against Antrim last summer.
Could have been heavy training during the week,as its 2 months to the day that we are out in the championship,so we should not be superfit at the moment.
As Lawrence said,Terrible game.
Cavan full back line battled very well,as Fermanagh won the midfield and the breaks 60/40 at least.

Michael Hannon had his best game for a few years,
Mossy Corr and Eoin McPhilips were good aswell.

Dane O Dowd i thought was very solid for his first start.
Eoin McGuigan was decent at CHB.
Mark Johnson found the going very tough,
Number 10 Fermanagh(sorry no programmes) brought him on a trip of Breffini and he struggled at times.But he came more into it in the second half.

Walsh was destroyed by im guessing it was James Sherry(big number 8 )
Sherry caught 4/5 marks,Walsh none.

Mulvey wasnt bad,he caught two marks and kicked 0-1 if not 0-2(cant remember)
Martin Cahill was the best man on the field for me,won a sight of breaks on his own,carried well and competed well at Wing Forward,wing back and then cornerback.
Gareth Smith,got on a lot of ball,and played a major part in alot of Cavans best attacks,but needs to stop shooting from so far out and give the ball into the full forward line a bit more.
Mark McKeever,played well,scored a great point when he ran straight through the Fermanagh defense,worked hard.

Cian Mackey,kicked a few great scores,but it wasnt vintage Mackey like in other games,although to be fair,playing with a beaten midfield,the ball in wasnt so forthcoming or of good quality.
Michael Brennan,didnt get into the game well,himself and Cullivan got in each others way a few times. I still think his mobility and ball carrying ability would be much more suited to wing forward.
Ray Cullivan,done some good things,great catch set up an easy chance which should have been scored.
If you have a Ray Cullivan in your team,you dont kick the ball into the corners for him,like Cavan did too often today,you play it diagonally in the air and let him compete,and he will either win it cleanly or break it.

Subs
David Givney for Walsh
Ciaran Galligan for Mulvey(kicked a great insurance point near the end)
Brendan Fitzpatrick for Michael Brennan
Gunner for Eoin McPhilips
Martin Reily for (No Idea!!!)

North Longford

Was at the game today. Thought it was terrible stuff. As the wife said it was harder to watch than being off the drink for lent!!! ( she was, not me!). Fermanaghs forwards were absolutely dire.
Couple of brief observations...Hannon done well but I thought the corner forward was brutal and must have been left on for a joke. He was in front of us for the whole second half and he was hiding. He'd make a 5 yard run and then stop. All Hannon had to do a lot of the time was keep going and he'd win the ball.
Midfield is a problem for Cavan. Sherry destroyed them and Fermanagh gathered a lot more of the breaks.
As well as overdoing the shooting from distance smith overdoes the carrying as well and was turned over 3 or 4 times today. Makes it hard for the inside line when ball isn't going in.
Thought Brennan was poor when on the ball, very little came off any ball he won.
Mulvey kicked a couple of good scores and is a big man but I'd worry about his mobility against a pacey midfilelder.
Mackey was decent in the first half but I reckon only handled the ball twice in the second, once getting a fine score and then hitting the post. They need to get him on the ball more often.
Backs in general were quite tight.
Thought both McKeever and Cahill did quite well.
But I'll say it again, Fermanagh and particularly the forward were unbelievably bad.

Ps twas indeed a lovely day for a game!!!

BallyhaiseMan

On NL's point there I think it ended up
19 wides for Fermanagh.
12/13 for Cavan.
2/3 of the Fermanagh shots,good reserve club players would have tapped over easily.
Ryan Carson also missed a few easy frees. We would have been in serious trouble against a better group of forwards with Fermanagh's midfield domination.
David Givney and one of Mulvey/Galligan has to start at midfield in June,Walsh just hasnt produced anything during this league campaign at all.

FermGael

Any of you cavan men give any names of thre Fermanagh forwards who missed the simple chances??
Was a completely new full forward line today so its always good to know whose missing what.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

boojangles

Quote from: hardstation on April 11, 2010, 10:00:12 PM
Off the topic, whatever happened to Mr. Pain? He was brilliant.

He's hiding away in the closet. Its time he came out.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: FermGael on April 11, 2010, 09:51:28 PM
Any of you cavan men give any names of thre Fermanagh forwards who missed the simple chances??
Was a completely new full forward line today so its always good to know whose missing what.

Well Carson missed some bad frees and I think it was Sherry who missed the pick of the bunch late on from about 20 metres out and right down the centre. Not sure of the others but Connolly, Cunningham and Ward was the full-forward line.

mylestheslasher

I wouldn't pass a whole lot of notice of that game lads. Nothing to play for and neither team would be showing their hand prior to the big match in 8 weeks time.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 12, 2010, 06:44:06 PM
I wouldn't pass a whole lot of notice of that game lads. Nothing to play for and neither team would be showing their hand prior to the big match in 8 weeks time.
I thought that before the game but I doubt they were kicking the wides they were on purpose. Ditto for our lads.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 12, 2010, 09:51:02 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 12, 2010, 06:44:06 PM
I thought that before the game but I doubt they were kicking the wides they were on purpose. Ditto for our lads.

Yep I reckon so...  Best thing to say about the game.... great weather!!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

whats my name

i see the dublin-roscommon u-21 game is fixed for breffni this saturday should be a good game to go to if anyone is free

Denn Forever

Hopefully it will be a game of football where can admire the skill of the players rather than enjoy/appreciate the workrate and endeavour of the players.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Denn Forever on April 13, 2010, 11:40:06 AM
Hopefully it will be a game of football where can admire the skill of the players rather than enjoy/appreciate the workrate and endeavour of the players.

Not all players are skillful but all playes can work hard and show endeavour.
It'd be great to see both.

five points

Email received from County Board

The 2009, Imperial Bar, A.C.F.L Division 1 final, fixed for Wednesday 14th April, on the 3G pitch in Kingspan Breifne Park has been cancelled.

Is mise le meas,

Deaglan Mac Giolla Choille (Declan Woods)
Oifigeach Caidreamh Poiblí         
Coiste Breifne Uí Raghallaigh       
Paírc Kingspan Bhreifne     
An Cabhan