Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal

rosscomon will be resting shine,im sure,and maybe one or two others.i think there f**ked win or lose,so even though they're rivals,i dont think the rossies have much of a chance.

id disagree with you as well,myles.dunne made some bad mistakes,but at times did very well on murphy,if he can cut out a few simple mistakes he'll be better than what we have at the moment.id agree with the rest of the post though.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Dougal

i know it's early yet but heres the odds for the senior championship

Cavan Gaels    1.40
Castlerahan     7.50
Killygarry         9.00
Denn                13.00
Redhills        17.00
Gowna        17.00
Beltubret        17.00
Ramor Utd        21.00
Mullahoran        29.00
Kingscourt        34.00
Ballinagh        67.00
Lacken           67.00
Lavey                67.00
Cuchulainn       34.00
Crosserlough 101.00

ulster_blue

Well lads,

My first post here and said id give my opinion of the u-21's last night. Having read the previous few pages, what happened last night was exactly as discussed here. Donegal are a strong, powerful team who bring all their men behind the ball and then wait patiently and then play it into the inside two men who are well capable of beating there men and sticking it over (or under) the bar.

Tactically Cavan did nothing to upset this style of play and I believe that if they played the same tactics as Donegal that are two inside forwards would not be strong enough to do what Murphy and Co. could do.

Particularly disappointed with both Declan Mc Kiernan and Niall Mc Dermott. Obviously Mc Kiernan is there for free taking duties but was not at up to standard last night. Like Murphy he is a big man but the difference is pace. Murphy could get in front of Rory at full back (Rory isn't the slowest man going!!) whereas Mc Kiernan struggled to make any headway at full forward, similarly with young Mc Dermott at centre forward who offered very little and seemed to run into cul de sacs.

I also think that the comments regarding Rory's performance are a bit harsh, he was on a lethal player (2nd highest scorer in senior championship football last year) and for the most he done quite well but mistakes at this level with cost dearly and as they say "goals win games".

Budd was very lively with Mc Clarey's and Niall Smith's physicality letting them down. Again Givney was immense in midfield with Gearoid quieter than usual.

Even with all the above points it has to be said that Donegal are an extremely good team and will be hard beaten if they continue to use there "all men behind the ball" tactics. They are a physically strong team who also have pace.

Anyways that's my rant over.

Ulster Blue

BallyhaiseMan

disappointed to hear about Declan McKiernan and Niall McDermott being poor.
McKiernan is strong as a horse,and you would have thought hed have caused problems with his size and physicality.
Boojangles made a good point about Robert Maloney Derham,hes one of the most complete footballers ive seen for an Under 21,and gave the best performance last year i witnessed  against us,in the league for Gaels B team.Hes a big lad,fast,good ball carrier and strong,you would imagine there should have been place on the team for him.
David Givney is fast becoming one of the best young players in the country.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: ulster_blue on April 08, 2010, 08:10:56 PM
Well lads,

My first post here and said id give my opinion of the u-21's last night. Having read the previous few pages, what happened last night was exactly as discussed here. Donegal are a strong, powerful team who bring all their men behind the ball and then wait patiently and then play it into the inside two men who are well capable of beating there men and sticking it over (or under) the bar.

Tactically Cavan did nothing to upset this style of play and I believe that if they played the same tactics as Donegal that are two inside forwards would not be strong enough to do what Murphy and Co. could do.

Particularly disappointed with both Declan Mc Kiernan and Niall Mc Dermott. Obviously Mc Kiernan is there for free taking duties but was not at up to standard last night. Like Murphy he is a big man but the difference is pace. Murphy could get in front of Rory at full back (Rory isn't the slowest man going!!) whereas Mc Kiernan struggled to make any headway at full forward, similarly with young Mc Dermott at centre forward who offered very little and seemed to run into cul de sacs.

I also think that the comments regarding Rory's performance are a bit harsh, he was on a lethal player (2nd highest scorer in senior championship football last year) and for the most he done quite well but mistakes at this level with cost dearly and as they say "goals win games".

Budd was very lively with Mc Clarey's and Niall Smith's physicality letting them down. Again Givney was immense in midfield with Gearoid quieter than usual.

Even with all the above points it has to be said that Donegal are an extremely good team and will be hard beaten if they continue to use there "all men behind the ball" tactics. They are a physically strong team who also have pace.

Anyways that's my rant over.

Ulster Blue

Where did you get the idea that Murphy has a lot of pace, he doesn't. I don't think he even took anyone on. In fact whenever he won ball out in front Dunne pretty much stood off him and allowed him to shoot. What Murphy has is accuracy and he can score from distance. I thought it was bizarre that Dunne would stand off him like that but maybe he was told to do that?
Declan McKiernan was not effective but they didn't stick 2 balls in on top of him the whole match. He's a good player but does lack pace but I think he's good enough to make it.

BallyhaiseMan

Id rate Rory Dunne as a very good footballer,but any good coach will tell you that to be an effective full back you need a good burst of speed,to be able to able to get out either in front or at the very least,alongside your man for the ball.

For all Dunne's qualities as a footballer,he lacks that speed to get out ahead/or with his man,
id say he could do a job as a wing back/centre back or even midfielder at IC level,but not at full back.

boojangles

Quote from: Dougal on April 08, 2010, 06:55:14 PM

Cavan Gaels    1.40
Castlerahan     7.50
Killygarry         9.00
Redhills        17.00
Gowna        17.00
Beltubret        17.00
Ramor Utd        21.00
Mullahoran        29.00
Kingscourt        34.00
Ballinagh        67.00
Lacken           67.00
Cuchulainn       34.00
Crosserlough 101.00

Dougal where did ya get those odds?

Dougal

paddy power has alot of counties up already,agree with most apart from maybe mullahoran.

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on April 09, 2010, 09:50:43 AM
Quote from: Dougal on April 08, 2010, 06:55:14 PM

Cavan Gaels    1.40
Castlerahan     7.50
Killygarry         9.00
Redhills        17.00
Gowna        17.00
Beltubret        17.00
Ramor Utd        21.00
Mullahoran        29.00
Kingscourt        34.00
Ballinagh        67.00
Lacken           67.00
Cuchulainn       34.00
Crosserlough 101.00

Dougal where did ya get those odds?

For an Intermediate team, Ballinagh have good odds... oh wait..

;D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Oh Boojangles, forgot to ask ya was the height of our grass to your liking in the home of football last Sunday??  :D :D

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 09, 2010, 03:49:00 PM
Oh Boojangles, forgot to ask ya was the height of our grass to your liking in the home of football last Sunday??  :D :D

Well from the stand it seemed grand Celt Man,Yas must have finally found out how to roll a field,so Congratulations!! Ah no fair play,unlike some fields Id say it would have been fit for both games anyway.
Hows the injury coming along??

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on April 09, 2010, 10:16:19 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on April 09, 2010, 03:49:00 PM

Well from the stand it seemed grand Celt Man,Yas must have finally found out how to roll a field,so Congratulations!! Ah no fair play,unlike some fields Id say it would have been fit for both games anyway.
Hows the injury coming along??
Ahh sure it takes a while to catch on to all these new ideas!  Yea I reckon the pitch would have been grand for a second game my fitness on the other hand...
Ahh it's grand now, was sore earlier in the week but sure we're all made of fierce hard stuff around these parts!!  :D

mylestheslasher

Well done to Paul Brady on a record equaling 6 AI singles titles in a row. Outstanding.

I see the seniors are starting Dane O Dowd and Mark Johnstone at wing back today.

put-it-up

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 11, 2010, 09:40:36 AM
Well done to Paul Brady on a record equaling 6 AI singles titles in a row. Outstanding.

I see the seniors are starting Dane O Dowd and Mark Johnstone at wing back today.

That's not good

Theobald

Have the county leagues started up yet? I haven't seen much talk about club games on here yet. It's around this time of year that I start to get a longing to kick an O'Neills ball again. Unfortunately (or fortunately!!), I'll have to remain in the Caribbean this year, so I'll expect put-it-up and the other Bailieborough men on here to keep me posted on the shamrocks progress....... How is the team shaping up this year? Will we be fit for Div 2?