Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Hyland cautiously confident

07 April 2010

Cavan bid for their third ever Ulster Under 21FC crown tonight when they make the short trip to Enniskillen to take on Donegal at Brewster Park (throw-in 8.00pm).

Despite the anticipation and excitement in the Breffni County, team manager Terry Hyland has been quick to play down the hype after his side's last-gasp win over Monaghan on Saturday.

"Being starved of success, people get caught up in it a little bit and that maybe leads to a bit of unnecessary hype sometimes," said the Lacken man.

The Cavan boss also knows that with players like Michael Murphy and Leo McLoone in their ranks Donegal will provide stern opposition, but is confident that the likes of David Givney and Declan McKiernan can lead them to provincial success.

"I didn't get watching them but anybody who looked at them said they're a very strong, physical team, who play a typical Donegal style of football, retaining the ball," he said.

"Someone said to me at times they had 15 behind the ball! The only way you can break that down is make sure your forwards get tackling."
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

This whole wednesday night set up really does not suit anyone who is based outside the county.
Hopefully N2 Ashbourne/Derry road is fairly clear this evening.
If not il hardly make it down in time.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Well stay clear of the M4 as it's closed due a big pile-up. I couldn't sleep last night with the excitement. We really are starved of success. :)

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on April 07, 2010, 03:56:54 PM
This whole wednesday night set up really does not suit anyone who is based outside the county.
Hopefully N2 Ashbourne/Derry road is fairly clear this evening.
If not il hardly make it down in time.

Aye the timing of it is a pain in the hole alright.   Enniskillen isn't the best of towns to be trying to get into the pitch in a hurry either

BallyhaiseMan

best way is to leave the car on main Belfast road and walk.
Ive always went by Newtownbutler/Lisnaskea/Maguiresbridge.
Wouldnt know where i was going,coming in via  N4/Belturbet.

boojangles

Best of Luck to all involved. Lets hope Cavan can bring another big crowd.

cornafean

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 07, 2010, 03:30:11 PM
Best of luck to the lads. Anyone know if Northern Sound are covering it?

According to the ads this morning, they are providing full live commentary with Michael Tynan, Sean McMahon and Tommy Carr.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Game is being covered on Northern Sound.
Is it true that Barry Reilly is only 18?

Celt_Man

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on April 07, 2010, 04:10:36 PM
Game is being covered on Northern Sound.
Is it true that Barry Reilly is only 18?

Quite possible he would be Under 19 this year

Celt_Man

Quote from: cornafean on April 07, 2010, 04:09:58 PM

According to the ads this morning, they are providing full live commentary with Michael Tynan, Sean McMahon and Tommy Carr.

Mixed emotions about that...

Glad I can listen to the game except you only listen to commentary on about half the game with Tynan, the other half is filled with the most random and useless sipnets of info which usually leads to shouting at the radio - which by the way will probably be frowned upon in the library where I'll be....

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 07, 2010, 04:16:31 PM

Glad I can listen to the game except you only listen to commentary on about half the game with Tynan, the other half is filled with the most random and useless sipnets of info which usually leads to shouting at the radio - which by the way will probably be frowned upon in the library where I'll be....

The year was 1956 and the player in question was a 2nd cousin of a former County Councillor from outside the Hill of Tara, which used to be the seat of the High Kings of Ireland and also a thriving goat market, which unfortunately is a thing of the past, which reminds me of a fella I spoke to at a recent funeral who was a sub on the last Virginia Blues team to play in the Cavan Senior Championship and in the mean time its back to the action and I can inform you that Cavan have just scored 3 goals in the last minute and had 4 men sent off................. But back to the goat market ::)

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on April 07, 2010, 04:37:47 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on April 07, 2010, 04:16:31 PM

The year was 1956 and the player in question was a 2nd cousin of a former County Councillor from outside the Hill of Tara, which used to be the seat of the High Kings of Ireland and also a thriving goat market, which unfortunately is a thing of the past, which reminds me of a fella I spoke to at a recent funeral who was a sub on the last Virginia Blues team to play in the Cavan Senior Championship and in the mean time its back to the action and I can inform you that Cavan have just scored 3 goals in the last minute and had 4 men sent off................. But back to the goat market ::)

Bang on the money Boojangles... meanwhile you are after breaking as much furniture and fittings as you could lay your hands on in frustration during his wee tangent....

mylestheslasher

All the best to the lads. I am about to leave now for a long journey east but it will be worth it if we can lift the cup.

trim blue

Best of luck to the players and management tonight, hope they can do it but at least hope they can perform at their best and maybe one will lead to the other.
ah sure tog out anyway

anglocelt39

Huge  night for Cavan football, Best of luck to all involved. Somobody pointed out that the Monaghan game was probably the first in god knows how many years when Cavan edged a close one against the odds at undeage level, well since our Under 21's took Meath in the AISF in 96. Hopefully it shows a level of belief among these lads that will get us across the line tonight.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds