Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offthebeatentrack

Michael Lyng has quit the Cavan football panel, it was confirmed on Monday.

The 25-year-old has informed manager Tommy Carr that he will be spending the summer months in Africa doing charity work.   

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: offthebeatentrack on March 25, 2010, 08:28:04 PM
Michael Lyng has quit the Cavan football panel, it was confirmed on Monday.

The 25-year-old has informed manager Tommy Carr that he will be spending the summer months in Africa doing charity work.   
Someone said they heard that but I assumed they were joking.

cavan4sam

Ciaran Galligans Granny died yesterday morning and her funeral is tomorrow morning so that is probably the reason he is not included.

Denn Forever

Denn full back again. Looks like thats the way it going to go. 

Tomas at full back although people think he should  be used further outfield  but he seems to be growng into the position (hope I haven't put the hex on him). 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

put-it-up

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 27, 2010, 12:17:16 AM

Tomas at full back although people think he should  be used further outfield  but he seems to be growng into the position (hope I haven't put the hex on him).

I dunno, I still think he looks a bit awkward at full-back and would like to see Eoin Smith given at least a chance at some stage but I don' think it is going to come. Dunne impressed for thee u21's the other night, I think he could grow into that role. I like the two Denn corner backs thought, very tight and sticky.

Good to see Hannon getting a start as well at WB, has more football in him than what most believe.

Senior midfield for this weekend is a big, big worry. I honestly think the u21 midfield would destroy them in a game.

What time is the game sat anyway?

Just re-read old posts and thought how nice it was that Lyng's charity work in South Africa will coincidice with the World Cup isn't it..haha  ;D

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 27, 2010, 12:17:16 AM

Don't think so Denn man. It took sligo 60 minutes to figure out we couldn't deal with a high ball into the defense. I'm afraid when some team starts doing it from the first minute that we will be in trouble. I hope he does grow into though, it can't be easy to be thrown in there having never really played it before and then coming up against inter county forwards every weekend.

Babe Ruth 47

Tynan and his buddy are having a conversaton about Barrack Obama and whether he wears glasses! Suit them better to refer to the game. 2 points in it.........I think, Tynan isn't overly bothered with the score.

Babe Ruth 47

Good win, seems like a powerful finish. 20 - 14.

trim blue

That counts as a good week's work
ah sure tog out anyway

mylestheslasher

In exile so had to listen on northen sound. It was close at times but seems like we made a burst at the right time. Now funny enough, if Fermanagh beat Sligo and Ros beat Wexford tomorrow, I believe we will be 2nd in the group going into the last round. Amazing how close these leagues can be.

BallyhaiseMan

Il give you a match report Myles,before i go on the beer,Very good performance in the most part,Cavan went 0-7 0-2 up,then were dragged back to 7 all,then went 12-7 up and dragged back level,
Offaly had no answer to our last scoring burst.

1.Fintan Reily,Kickouts were not good,he had his half backs with in trouble a few times,with poor kicks. He needs to get that sorted.

2.Eoin McPhilips,sticky,solid,Cavan went man for man with no extra help in front.

3.Tomas Corr,very good first half,one scary movement in the second half when he was caught ball watching and let his man in behind. Solid.

4.Martin Cahill,He had the unenviable task of watching one of the best footballers in the country Niall McNamee one on one with no extra players dropped in front,and he struggled at times,McNamee is a class act and was the focal point of all of Offaly's attacks. He can be happy enough,with his nights work as he done aswell as anyone could.

5.Dermot Sheridan,started brightly,then went off injured,hamstring/quad injury it looked.Replaced by Dane O Dowd

6.Eoin McGuigan,done well,powered forward at times and kicked an insurance point at the end.Belongs at this level.

7.Michael Hannon,his first start this year,powered forward at times,but his legs understandably gave out in the second half.

8.Nicholas Walsh,Two marks,disrupted a physically bigger Offaly midfield sector,made one crucial disposession which led to a Cavan score at a crucial period.

9.Lorcan Mulvey,two marks aswell and kicked one point near the end,struggled at times with Offaly's powerful surging runs from deep. Competed well with a taller Offaly midfield.

10.Ronan Flanagan,got on a massive amount of ball and always proved to be an outlet,kicked a great score,an all round very good performance from Flanagan.

11.Gareth Smith-Nesty was outstanding tonight,carried the ball well,kicked a couple of points from play and his free taking was in the most part top notch,It was his delivery of ball into Mackey and Brennan however that was the key part in Cavan's terrific attacking performance.

12.Mark McKeever,scored the point of the game for me,when he took the ball off Brennan at pace and kicked over,solid and gave good ball into Mackey and Brennan aswell.

13.Martin Reily,the killygarry clubman didnt have his best outing,hes still tooo light and not near strong enough for this level,replaced by Ray Cullivan.

14.Michael Brennan,kicked 3 points from play and 2 wides,hes a good focal point for an attack and set McKeever up for a great score,Has great first touch and handling ability when taking in low bouncing ball,no flapping at it,which allows him to transfer the ball away quickly to runners,a very good option here.

15.Cian Mackey, Again simply unplayable,finished with 0-8 or 0-9,destoryed Shane Sullivan,kicking 0-3 in the first 10 minutes,his ball handling/first touch has improved immensely,other years when he would be needing 1/2 attempts to get the ball,this year,handling is solid,and his accuracy with the exception of one occasion was top notch.
He must be one of the most in-form players in the country.

Subs
Dane O Dowd-struggled on Ciaran McManus at first,but had a very good second half,hes an option here anyway.
Pauric Reily,got on the ball a bit going forward,when Cavan were playing keep ball.
Ray Cullivan,Ray wasnt on for that long and didnt impact the game a terrible amount,got on the ball a few times and done the simple things right.

All in all a very good perfomrance,with some terrific football at times.

mylestheslasher

I'm glad to see Mackey doing so well. I was pretty critical of him in the past for being headless and lacking a football brain. However, he has made a bollocks out of me and I have to say has improved hugely. He is a fantastic option now in that he has shown he can be lethal at corner forward and last year he was very good in a deeper role. So fair play to the lad I say.

I thought Brennan gave did everything right against Sligo in his runs and handling, he just let himself down with his final decision. Sounds like he is coming good at the right time and he will also be a good option at FF.