Previous topic - Next topic

trim blue

cavan 13-10 Sligo about 10 mins left
ah sure tog out anyway

trim blue

cavan 13-11 Sligo 29 mins gone 2nd half
ah sure tog out anyway

put-it-up

Got beaten 1-14 to 0-14. Only listening to it on the radio, by god you would need a translator to understand some of the commentating!

Givney only came on, he didn't start.

Hopefully some of you boy's were at it and can fill me in, I couldn't afford to top up the petrol tank after Cheltenham..haha  ;D

What we would give for a bit of consistency!

Celt_Man

winning by 2 with 6 minutes to go and beaten by 3... Christ!!  >:( >:(
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Dougal

In all fairness they playd quite well today.sat back a bit near the end and once sligo got the goal they just couldnt stop them.corr let his man slip in behind him again,and thats where the goal came from.mccutcheon came of on a stretcher,hurt his knee.its an improvent from previous weeks,so hope we can keep buildin on it
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Western Blue

Just back from Sligo.Disappointed with the result. We were the better team and played well.
Couldn't get our hands on the ball in the closing minutes to close out the game when we were leading by 2Pt's. Givney probably saving himself for Wed evening against Down as he was not on the ball in the 2nd half.
Cian Mackey had another very good game.Brennan showed well for the ball but fumbles or takes to long . Johnstone was water boy again seems to be moving his arms well could be back soon.
Lyng not listed in the subs....is he sulking because he was taken off against Wexford and left the panel. Could have done with him

Celt_Man

Quote from: Dougal on March 21, 2010, 05:40:15 PM
In all fairness they playd quite well today.sat back a bit near the end and once sligo got the goal they just couldnt stop them.corr let his man slip in behind him again,and thats where the goal came from.mccutcheon came of on a stretcher,hurt his knee.its an improvent from previous weeks,so hope we can keep buildin on it

fook!! We need that like I need a second arsehole  >:( >:(

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 21, 2010, 07:22:21 PM
Quote from: Dougal on March 21, 2010, 05:40:15 PM

fook!! We need that like I need a second arsehole  >:( >:(

He seemed in quite a lot of pain alright.Definitely doesn't look good. The moves made when John came off was probably the losing of the game.

Denn Forever

So was it goodish performance? 

Our achilles heel of letting in late goals rears its head again.  Sounded like a sucker punch.  We really need to learn to kill teams off when we have the chance.

Good performances?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Was at the game today. Two fairly equally matched teams with Sligo managing to bag a goal and that was the difference. I think our boys tried hard but in a couple of positions we just don't have the quality. Corr wasn't found out at FB until sligo eventually stuck in a few high balls and he was totally caught out by one for the goal. The lad is not a FB but maybe he is the best of what we have? Was impressed with McPhillips - he's a sticky corner back. Martin Cahill got a roasting in the 1st half by David Kelly but he got on top in the 2nd half (Kelly is a very good player so no shame in that). Thought Dermot Shierdan was poor, McCutcheon good and McGuigan was ok. We won midfield marginally in the 1st half with Mulvey and Galligan then carr took of Galligan for some reason and risked Givney. Givney didn't really do much and sligo packed midfield in the later stages of the 2nd half and thats where the game was won. Mulvey got a nice point but is very limited. He has a physical presence alright but has nothing upstairs. Nesty was great in patched and then vanished for long periods of time but got some nice points. Flanagan was a willing runner but for me McKeever offered little. Mackey was outstanding until sligo wised up and put a man in front of him. Brennan made some good runs and won clean ball but always seemed to take the wrong option.

I think this is pretty much our level lads. We can be competitive but lack quality in a few key areas. One other aspect was how easily we were turned over in the tackle where as Sligo seemed to be able to keep the ball for ages (although in typical Sligo fashion they didn't go anywhere with it.) Like I said two average teams, trying hard and fair play to them. However, Cavan are in serious danger of the drop. A desperate Fermanagh team with some of their better players coming back and a Offally team pushing for promotion to come. 2 loses and we are in trouble.

boojangles

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 21, 2010, 08:45:55 PM
Was at the game today. Two fairly equally matched teams with Sligo managing to bag a goal and that was the difference. I think our boys tried hard but in a couple of positions we just don't have the quality. Corr wasn't found out at FB until sligo eventually stuck in a few high balls and he was totally caught out by one for the goal. The lad is not a FB but maybe he is the best of what we have? Was impressed with McPhillips - he's a sticky corner back. Martin Cahill got a roasting in the 1st half by David Kelly but he got on top in the 2nd half (Kelly is a very good player so no shame in that). Thought Dermot Shierdan was poor, McCutcheon good and McGuigan was ok. We won midfield marginally in the 1st half with Mulvey and Galligan then carr took of Galligan for some reason and risked Givney. Givney didn't really do much and sligo packed midfield in the later stages of the 2nd half and thats where the game was won. Mulvey got a nice point but is very limited. He has a physical presence alright but has nothing upstairs. Nesty was great in patched and then vanished for long periods of time but got some nice points. Flanagan was a willing runner but for me McKeever offered little. Mackey was outstanding until sligo wised up and put a man in front of him. Brennan made some good runs and won clean ball but always seemed to take the wrong option.

I think this is pretty much our level lads. We can be competitive but lack quality in a few key areas. One other aspect was how easily we were turned over in the tackle where as Sligo seemed to be able to keep the ball for ages (although in typical Sligo fashion they didn't go anywhere with it.) Like I said two average teams, trying hard and fair play to them. However, Cavan are in serious danger of the drop. A desperate Fermanagh team with some of their better players coming back and a Offally team pushing for promotion to come. 2 loses and we are in trouble.

Can't argue with nearly all of what you said Myles but the bit in bold, which to me is a crazy staement.  Mc Keever demanded the ball and always was willing to take on Sligo and go at them. Something we are badly lacking.He covered a huge amount of ground and IMO when he had to go back to Half back for Mc Cutcheon is when we started to struggle around the middle and let Sligo back into it. Martin Reilly was a big disappointment out the field doing what McKeever had been doing.
Flanagans work rate is immense and once again he was our best Break winner.He never gives the ball away but unfortunately to most people most of these very important aspects of any players game will go unnoticed.

BallyhaiseMan

Wasnt at the game due to club match,but some questions
Was Galligan injured?  if not why would they take him off if Cavan were doing ok at midfield??  ???
Seems like a moronic decision if Galligan wasnt injured and risk Givney 3 days before an Ulster Championship match.
Was Eoin Smith listed among the subs?
surely theres an oppertunity to move Mossy Corr out to wing back and try Ted at FB if McCutcheon's injury is as bad as it sounds. Smith is very good under the high ball.
Michael Lyng im hearing today has quit the county panel altogether,hes a big loss.

Celt_Man

Jaysus that's not good news about Lyng if it's true....

Any man heard anything about the Under 21s on Wednesday, when will the team be announced?

Dougal

dont remember who said the mid field was ok in the first half,but i dont agree with that,thought they were poor enough.

just trying to think if i saw lyng warming up yesterday,i dont think i did.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to quit. We rarely go through a season without someone quitting or being kicked off. A huge loss is right. Hopefully it's not true. I hope that anybody that wants to quit their county panel thinks long and hard about it as it's a short career and the regrets will last a lot longer.
Galligan and Mulvey were both on yellow cards. I'd have thought Galligan would've been less likely to pick up a second but there you go. Eoin Smith hasn't been listed among the subs for at least the last two games. It's one of those extremely strange ones with Carr. I watched him play against Tyrone and he did ok considering the pressure he was under. I'd have my doubts if he's still on the panel when you see Johnston and O'Dowd listed and him not. Lyng wasn't named on the bench by the way.