Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Blue

i have good feeling that Cavan and Roscommon will both win this week-end which will open up Div 3.
Double done this afternoon with P.P.

put-it-up

Quote from: Western Blue on March 12, 2010, 08:11:36 PM
i have good feeling that Cavan and Roscommon will both win this week-end which will open up Div 3.

DREAMER ;D

Denn Forever

Quote from: Western Blue on March 12, 2010, 08:11:36 PM

I suppose the curate was giving bad odds.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on March 12, 2010, 06:55:45 PM
As far as I know, wexford are  missing forde and their top-scorer so far this this year although I can't remember his name and PJ Banville.

That team really doesn't inspire confidence although I think we will dig out a win. Put it this way, if the team doesn't show abit of fight at home after the last two showing then they never will..

We really just aren't great individually at  the moment. I mean look at that team. On ratings of 1-10, how many players on that team would get a 7 or above?

But anyway, just because we are poor individually shouldn;t mean we are a shocking team. I mean for f**k sake, if up for the game at all we should be more than capable of competing with other team at this level..

I don't expect us to win an Ulster or All-Ireland but FFS i expect us to compete in Division Three. Even under Keoghan we battled hard in Division Two against teams like Cork and Dublin

His name is Ben Brosnan.

Denn Forever

Quote from: ExiledGael on March 12, 2010, 06:06:22 PM
They have numerous players who've been outstanding at Sigerson level.
As much as it's down to attitude, belief, discipline and organisation, they've a group of seriously talented players there.

Some of the reasons why Antrim are going well.  One out of three is all we've got. 

Hopefully we'll be eating our words come Sunday.
means what he says...

put-it-up

Antrim are a prime example of what can be done when you utilize your strengths and come up with a distinguished game-plan.

We now know the team Carr has picked for the weekend, would you boy's differ much if you were picking it?

Mulvey's inclusion to me is a real gamble that shows just how desperately short we are there. I would much prefer to see Lyng further out the field aswell...he is a much more creative force rather than a scorer IMO.

I was talking to a Dub the other day and he said Nesty is brilliant at Corner-Forward because a)he can win ball and b)kick off both feet. As much as I have been impressed with him on the 40, I wouldn't mind seeing him being swapped with Lyng.

McKeever at WB is another switch I would like to see..

cavan4sam

Good performance tonight, 0-17 to 0-12. Mackey got 5, Flanagan got 3, Givney got 3, Martin Reilly got 2 when he came on, McKeever Cullivan and Lyng got 1 each and Gareth Smith scored a 45, as far as I know the rest were from play.

Will write more later.......

Denn Forever

means what he says...

Dougal

well that was an improvement on last weeks performance.still pretty poor but there was some good football played at times,hopefully we can go on and win another couple of games.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Blue06

My first League game this year and saw a decent enough performance and result.

Very disappointing crowd there, never seen such a poor attendance for a home league match.
I have going to them for about the last 40 years or so.

Going forward we looked very good with Mackay to the fore, but defending especially from the front was poor.
i.e. Our forwards allowed Wexford build far too easily and often from the back and especially from short kick outs.

Wexford losing a man towards the end definetly helped with the late surge.

Goalkeeper had little to do, kick outs weren't brilliant and I think he'd struggle kicking into a strong wind.

Full backs of Cahill and Carr were very good, McPhillips followed his man out the field for th hour and picked up a load of possession.  Thought the line would have instructed Cahill to follow the Wexford forward out the field but kept him on Ciaran Lyng, kept him to one point and made a brilliant tackle on him (dispossession) when only one point in it with about 5 mins to go.

Half back line were good going forward but fouled a lot when faced with Wexford running at them,usually overlaps from midfield and half back line.

Midfield did well in that won their fair share of possession, Mulvey imo a better option than Walsh.  Givney was good I felt, made numerous marks and scored a couple of points, made some good penetrating runs.

Flannagan scored 3 points in the first half(with more confidence could possibly have went for goal with 2 of them) but was anonymous for a lot of the game. Came well into it for the last 15 or so when needed most.  McKeever likewise drifted in and out of it.  Nesty made a few decent passes in the first half but made a few poor decisions in the second which eventually saw him taken off for Martin Reilly. 

Brennan was poor at FF and was lucky he wasn't taken off earlier.  Lyng was definelty a mixed bag, 3 desparate misses in the first half, did some good work in the second with some brilliant passes.  Mackay was very good, kicked 5 points, set up many others, this despite getting no frees/protection from the referee.  We only got one free inside the Wexford 45 in the whole game.

Subs Martin Reilly kicked a couple of  nice points when he came on.  Cullivan did well when introduced.
Ciaran Galligan also came on and through his weight about, Ray Galligan only came on in injury time.

Heres hoping for a repeat next week.

mylestheslasher

Wasn't at game but spoke to the brother and he tells me it was a decent performance and that the players were really up for it from the start. Maybe that is the key to the problem. How come we can be up for Roscommon, be totally flat against Antrim and Louth and then licking our wounds get up for the Wexford match. Same happened last yr when we went to Newry and put in a great display only to lose terribly to Offally and Louth. Then the same in the championship. Surely the manager has to make sure lads are chomping at the bit for every game?

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: Blue06 on March 14, 2010, 01:22:41 PM
My first League game this year and saw a decent enough performance and result.

Very disappointing crowd there, never seen such a poor attendance for a home league match.
I have going to them for about the last 40 years or so.

Going forward we looked very good with Mackay to the fore, but defending especially from the front was poor.
i.e. Our forwards allowed Wexford build far too easily and often from the back and especially from short kick outs.

Wexford losing a man towards the end definetly helped with the late surge.

Goalkeeper had little to do, kick outs weren't brilliant and I think he'd struggle kicking into a strong wind.

Full backs of Cahill and Carr were very good, McPhillips followed his man out the field for th hour and picked up a load of possession.  Thought the line would have instructed Cahill to follow the Wexford forward out the field but kept him on Ciaran Lyng, kept him to one point and made a brilliant tackle on him (dispossession) when only one point in it with about 5 mins to go.

Half back line were good going forward but fouled a lot when faced with Wexford running at them,usually overlaps from midfield and half back line.

Midfield did well in that won their fair share of possession, Mulvey imo a better option than Walsh.  Givney was good I felt, made numerous marks and scored a couple of points, made some good penetrating runs.

Flannagan scored 3 points in the first half(with more confidence could possibly have went for goal with 2 of them) but was anonymous for a lot of the game. Came well into it for the last 15 or so when needed most.  McKeever likewise drifted in and out of it.  Nesty made a few decent passes in the first half but made a few poor decisions in the second which eventually saw him taken off for Martin Reilly. 

Brennan was poor at FF and was lucky he wasn't taken off earlier.  Lyng was definelty a mixed bag, 3 desparate misses in the first half, did some good work in the second with some brilliant passes.  Mackay was very good, kicked 5 points, set up many others, this despite getting no frees/protection from the referee.  We only got one free inside the Wexford 45 in the whole game.

Subs Martin Reilly kicked a couple of  nice points when he came on.  Cullivan did well when introduced.
Ciaran Galligan also came on and through his weight about, Ray Galligan only came on in injury time.

Heres hoping for a repeat next week.

Good summary Blue06 except I wouldn't agree with your view on Mulvey. He was poor throughout just not as comical. I also think you're a little harsh on Brennan. He won quite a bit of ball but sometime his simple lay-offs were not up to scratch. I agree with everything else you said.

Western Blue

I thought Mulvey did well last evening considering it was his first inter county game in well over a year...he contributed more than Walsh has done to date in the games so far and looked fit.
. The big worry is the number of teams that are running straight down the middle and drawing easy frees.
Here hoping that S. Johnstone is back soon..any news on him. Cian Mackey had a great game,  Full back line is growing in confidence with every game I think

BallyhaiseMan

Backline fouled a bit much for my liking last night,we still have the problem of letting teams run straight down our middle, Full back line were very solid though.
Eoin McGuigan dropped deep on front of the full back line, and was very good at CHB,cant really blame him for the runners. Dermot Sheridan and McCutcheon were solid if not spectacular.
I thought David Givney was absolutely outstanding bar two times he gave the ball away,his fielding,passing and point scoring were terrific mostly.
Mulvey done rightly,caught a couple of good balls,and put some lovely ball into the Cavan forwards.
Midfield were terrific last night.
Nesty sprayed some lovely ball around last night and kicked a lovely 45,but as Blue06 put in his detailed and very accurate report,he tired.
Cian Mackey was unplayable at times last night,and got mugged by the wexford full back on numerous occasions.
Jimmy McKee of Armagh was a disgrace last night as a gave nothing to Cavan,Mark McKeever was virtually assaulted and no free given,yet if a Cavan man put his hands on a wexford man,it was a free.
Michael Brennan,would be much better suited as a wing forward,where he can use his athleticism and strong running ability.
Martin Reily and Ray made a big difference when they came on.
Michael Lyng could have had about 1-5 only for a few mistakes,he was very influential though,he messed a few balls,but himself and Nesty pulled alot of the strings for Cavan.

I wonder which team will show up in Sligo?