Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on March 09, 2010, 07:14:49 PM
Did Carr not bring Roscommon to the All-Ireland quarter-fina in 2003l? I've also heard from someone within the county set-up that Smith went after Carr without any recommendation from the recruitment crowd.

In fairness you could understand why someone would take a chance on Carr. He deals with the media well, talks well and anyone that will have met the man will agree that he gives off the impression of being a genuine nice man and a commited fella.

However, over time he has clearly shown that his management skills just aren't up to it. As far as I he does none or very little of the trainin so if he is not motivating the players what is the point of him being there?

He has implemented no game-plan, and has even any individual developed significantly under his guidance. I was pro-Carr when all the shite broke out last time because I felt he deserved another chance to show that the team good improve under him.

Its quite clear though we are now on the road to nowhere and we should change it up.

Only question is, who the feck is there that would (a)want it and (b) be good enough to do it??

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on March 09, 2010, 09:24:28 PM
Did Carr not bring Roscommon to the All-Ireland quarter-fina in 2003l? I've also heard from someone within the county set-up that Smith went after Carr without any recommendation from the recruitment crowd.

In fairness you could understand why someone would take a chance on Carr. He deals with the media well, talks well and anyone that will have met the man will agree that he gives off the impression of being a genuine nice man and a commited fella.

However, over time he has clearly shown that his management skills just aren't up to it. As far as I he does none or very little of the trainin so if he is not motivating the players what is the point of him being there?

He has implemented no game-plan, and has even any individual developed significantly under his guidance. I was pro-Carr when all the shite broke out last time because I felt he deserved another chance to show that the team good improve under him.

Its quite clear though we are now on the road to nowhere and we should change it up.

Only question is, who the feck is there that would (a)want it and (b) be good enough to do it??

At this point I think it has to be someone local cos who in their right mind outside the county would want it. Problem is the lack of candidates. Clearly we are going to have to take a punt on an inexperienced manager from within the county. How about Ciaran Brady?

put-it-up

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 09, 2010, 09:44:32 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on March 09, 2010, 09:24:28 PM

Ciaran prob is the best candidate that would be available. Mickey Graham will evenutually take it but he is tied up with the minors and If Carr was to go I wouldn't be surprised to see an Interim manager put in place until the end of the season.

That said I don't think we should talk about successors untill he actually goes. I can't see him walking anyway...
At this point I think it has to be someone local cos who in their right mind outside the county would want it. Problem is the lack of candidates. Clearly we are going to have to take a punt on an inexperienced manager from within the county. How about Ciaran Brady?

BallyhaiseMan

Ciaran Brady/Mickey Graham are the two that jump out.
At present form we will lose 3 of our last 4 league games and the game against Fermanagh is up for grabs.
We need to be hoping Fermanagh keep losing games,because if they dont we are up shit creek.
There is no way Carr should still be in place for the championship if Cavan are relegated to Division 4.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 09, 2010, 10:48:03 PM
How about Hyland?

Hes certainly done it at club level
If he done well with the under 21's this year,id like to see him get a shot at the senior job.

cavanmaniac

Godamnit! Tommy Carr killed the bloody thread as well as the team!

Celt_Man

So Wexford Saturday evening in Breffni??  Any thoughts or comments? Or are we that fed up that going to the match is enough torture without thinking about it beforehand?
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 11, 2010, 06:44:43 PM
So Wexford Saturday evening in Breffni??  Any thoughts or comments? Or are we that fed up that going to the match is enough torture without thinking about it beforehand?

Wexford made one of the division favourites look quite poor last week and I expect they will win this game too, probably with a bit to spare.

anglocelt39

The one bit of hope I would have is that tomorrow is a bit of do or die, which we were faced with last year up in Newry and produced probably about our best league performance after two very poor performances against Longford and Tipp.

This year was always going to be difficult, we don't have a single lad in the panel who has ever won anything in a Cavan jersey, I'm fairly sure. Mind you it doesn't seem as if Tommy is having great success in getting the best out of what he has, consistently. One good performance followed by two really flat ones seems the norm.

I'll let heart rule head again and go for a much improved performance, a home win and survival in Division 3 (just).
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Lawrence of Knockbride

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 11, 2010, 06:58:51 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on March 11, 2010, 06:44:43 PM

Wexford made one of the division favourites look quite poor last week and I expect they will win this game too, probably with a bit to spare.
The way the Sligo boys are talking about it is that Sligo showed about as much spirit as our lads so it wouldn't seem that Wexford had that much part in it. I wouldn't say that Louth made us look like anything last week, except good in the first quarter. No idea about Wexford. I'd guess by looking at results and reports so far that outside of Antrim this division looks like there isn't much difference in any of the other teams so there's one promotion and two relegation places up for grabs.

Celt_Man

Carr makes three changes

Cavan boss Tommy Carr has made three changes in personnel to the side which lost to Louth last weekend for tomorrow night's game against Wexford at Kingspan Breffni Park (throw-in 7.30pm).

John McCutcheon returns at left half-back in place of the suspended Alan Clarke, while Butlersbridge powerhouse Lorcan Mulvey makes his first start in this year's NFL campaign at centre-field at the expense of Ciaran Galligan.

The third change sees Cavan Gaels attacker Micheál Lyng come in at left corner-forward in place of Raymond Galligan.

Positional switches in the team include David Givney's move back from the half-forward line to partner Mulvey in the middle of the park, while Ronan Flanagan is bumped up to right half-forward and Dermot Sheridan comes back into the defence at right half-back.

Cavan (NFL v Wexford): F Reilly; E McPhilips, T Corr, M Cahill; D Sheridan, E McGuigan, J McCutcheon; D Givney, L Mulvey; R Flanagan, G Smith, M McKeever; C Mackey, M Brennan, M Lyng.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

That team looks good with a lot of speed and mobility in the forward line. 

Hopefully the players will have been stung by their poor performance last weekend. and play with a little more heart.

Is Matty Forde still out?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Lawrence of Knockbride

put-it-up

As far as I know, wexford are  missing forde and their top-scorer so far this this year although I can't remember his name and PJ Banville.

That team really doesn't inspire confidence although I think we will dig out a win. Put it this way, if the team doesn't show abit of fight at home after the last two showing then they never will..

We really just aren't great individually at  the moment. I mean look at that team. On ratings of 1-10, how many players on that team would get a 7 or above?

But anyway, just because we are poor individually shouldn;t mean we are a shocking team. I mean for f**k sake, if up for the game at all we should be more than capable of competing with other team at this level..

I don't expect us to win an Ulster or All-Ireland but FFS i expect us to compete in Division Three. Even under Keoghan we battled hard in Division Two against teams like Cork and Dublin