Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

When was Sigerson played in the good old day?  Was it February or March?  Don't think it was April as that would be very close to Finals.

So as well as giving out about it the least they could give an indication of when it should be played.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

And in the good old days wasn't the league played each side of christmas. I wish these people would quit moaning to the press and get on with improving Cavan football - we're not the only ones with players in College.

That news above on Mullahoran is shocking, I actually can't believe that the biggest parish in the county - a football mad parish - can't field an underage team.

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 17, 2010, 04:12:10 PM
That news about Mullahoran is absolutely staggering, it really is.

I'm a long time out of the county but in my teens they were literally teeming with players; the size of the parish and the population, plus the tradition there meant it couldn't be anything else.

What in the name of Jesus is after happening, it's still a rural parish where GAA should still be King and yet you have this apalling fall off in numbers at underage where it should be at its most vibrant.

Things in Cavan really are worse than they seem.

I don't know it is really... things tend to come in cycles - especially in football... most clubs - with a few exceptions - aren't at the top forever and go through some bad times... 

For example Bailieboro would have been a top 4 senior team 8 or 9 years ago, they came down pretty hard in a short space of time and now they are making their way back up...

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 17, 2010, 07:50:00 PM

I don't know it is really... things tend to come in cycles - especially in football... most clubs - with a few exceptions - aren't at the top forever and go through some bad times... 

For example Bailieboro would have been a top 4 senior team 8 or 9 years ago, they came down pretty hard in a short space of time and now they are making their way back up...

You're right that every team goes through cycles where they have no cup-winning success for a number of years, before blooming like e.g. Gowna in the 90s and stumbling on a rich vein of players for a few years. But that's different from being  a huge - and rural - parish where only GAA is entertained going from having numbers aplenty and then suddenly not being able to even field a team - whatever about winning cups, Mullahoran should have teams at every age group with something to spare? Surely? If not, that's a staggering indictment of the game's appeal to boys and young men in a stronghold of the game in our county that won SFC title relatively recently and produced Gunner Brady and many other great players over the years. Very depressing.

Celt_Man

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 17, 2010, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 17, 2010, 07:50:00 PM

You're right that every team goes through cycles where they have no cup-winning success for a number of years, before blooming like e.g. Gowna in the 90s and stumbling on a rich vein of players for a few years. But that's different from being  a huge - and rural - parish where only GAA is entertained going from having numbers aplenty and then suddenly not being able to even field a team - whatever about winning cups, Mullahoran should have teams at every age group with something to spare? Surely? If not, that's a staggering indictment of the game's appeal to boys and young men in a stronghold of the game in our county that won SFC title relatively recently and produced Gunner Brady and many other great players over the years. Very depressing.

Well it all depends on the numbers in the parish but there are loads of young fellas in the parish but aren't playing football well then that's bad.  But on the other hand, if there are just not enough young fellas in the parish to make a team, that's a different kettle of fish...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Swadman

Its not Location,Location,Location anymore Its Amalgamate,Amalgamate,Amalgamate.
Isn't that what the Daleks used to say before they tried to zap you?

I was gob-smacked to hear that Mullahoran had no minor team this year. I can understand lean years in small clubs from half parishes etc. but Mullahoran !!! The funny thing is.... they have a young lad on this years county minor panel, and no club team to play with.
I also thought someone was pulling my leg when they told me Swad was joined up with Corlough and CORNAFEAN in the minor league Div3. I went to see what this marriage looked like on Sat last in Shannon Gaels only to find 2 or 3 Templeport lads playing with them. From Swads point of view, we have 5 between the age of 16 and 18 (one of them was working on Sat) Corlough have 2 (but only one turned up) Cornafean had 13. For the record the first half was evenly contested but S/Gaels ran away with it in the second.
I can see the point in amalgamations if they are necessary to insure games for all 16 - 18 year olds. I don't agree with playing 13 - 15 year olds just to make up the numbers.

BallyhaiseMan

We have something like 40 clubs with a population of say 65,000(thats being very optimistic)
which is more clubs than Donegal who have a population of 150,000.

I think the best solution is

Junior and Intermediate Club championships
start in May- Finish in July
Senior Championship starts end of July like its supposed to this year.
Amalgamations of intermediate/junior clubs should then  be encouraged to enter the Senior Championship,and if the Inter/Junior championships were complete,the amalgamations would have the players full attention.

It would give the likes of 
Ciaran Galligan
David Givney
Ray Cullivan
Declan McKiernan
John McCutcheon
Michael Hannon etc
the chance to play senior club championship football,and not be under pressure to train and play for their club in intermediate/junior at the same time.
what does everyone think?

Dougal

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 18, 2010, 12:05:43 AM
We have something like 40 clubs with a population of say 65,000(thats being very optimistic)

Amalgamations of intermediate/junior clubs should then  be encouraged to enter the Senior Championship,and if the Inter/Junior championships were complete,the amalgamations would have the players full attention.

Ciaran Galligan
David Givney
Ray Cullivan
Declan McKiernan
John McCutcheon
Michael Hannon etc
the chance to play senior club championship football,and not be under pressure to train and play for their club in intermediate/junior at the same time.

you been reading my posts on hoganstand.i hinted at the exact same thing a week ago,if would surely get results.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Lawrence of Knockbride

Would the junior and intermediate championships not clash with the inter-county championship in this scenario?

Drung

BallyhaiseMan makes an excellent point. Some research shows that Cavan has 40 football clubs for a population of 64,000. Donegal has 147,000 population and 39 football clubs.
It's worth noting though that soccer is huge in Donegal. In the Inishowen peninsula, there are 23 adult soccer clubs and just three Gaelic football clubs.
Still, good point. We have too many clubs I would think, although I'd like to see the stats re other counties.
I know Monaghan has 27 clubs for a 52,000 population which seems about right.

On another note, I want to point some of the complete tripe posted here recently by Mylestheslasher.

QuoteHe has made zero effort to find new talent

Hang on – Carr has given league debuts to six players in two matches! I'm no fan of Carr's but you're talking through your hole there.

Quotehe wasn't at a club game all year

Absolute rubbish. I'd say you who spouts random shite on here weren't at too many!

Dougal

Quote from: Drung on February 18, 2010, 12:47:00 PM
BallyhaiseMan makes an excellent point. Some research shows that Cavan has 40 football clubs for a population of 64,000. Donegal has 147,000 population and 39 football clubs.
It's worth noting though that soccer is huge in Donegal. In the Inishowen peninsula, there are 23 adult soccer clubs and just three Gaelic football clubs.
Still, good point. We have too many clubs I would think, although I'd like to see the stats re other counties.

On another note, I want to point some of the complete tripe posted here recently by Mylestheslasher.

Hang on – Carr has given league debuts to six players in two matches! I'm no fan of Carr's but you're talking through your hole there.

Absolute rubbish. I'd say you who spouts random shite on here weren't at too many!

how many of them 6 did he see play in more than one game,id hazard a guess at 1.

an exageration yes,far from the truth,no.

Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Dougal on February 18, 2010, 08:41:30 AM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 18, 2010, 12:05:43 AM

Ciaran Galligan
David Givney
Ray Cullivan
Declan McKiernan
John McCutcheon
Michael Hannon etc

you been reading my posts on hoganstand.i hinted at the exact same thing a week ago,if would surely get results.
dont actually read the Cavan forum on Hoganstand anymore Dougal,only the stories and the National forum,But naturally id aggree with you ;) , i think its the best way forward for football in this county.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on February 18, 2010, 12:47:00 PM

Read page 467 of this thread and you'll see where I clarified what I said for Celt Man (who is capable of disagreeing with someones opinion on here without resorting to insults)

You are correct, I don't attend a lot of club games because I live on the other side of the country. However, there are plenty of excellent posters on here who go to an awful lot of games and have repeatedly reported that Carr is rarely in attendance. Now I know you have nothing worth a damn to say about anything but do you think Carr himself has done enough to look at players? After all he is getting paid to manage the team isn't he?

Drung

QuoteNow I know you have nothing worth a damn to say about anything but do you think Carr himself has done enough to look at players? After all he is getting paid to manage the team isn't he?

I think he has actually.
I don't think anyone disputes the fact that, more or less, the 25-30 best available players are on the panel. If you disagree, tell me who should be there.
The problem is that Carr doesn't have them motivated, in shape or playing well! I'm not a Carr apologist, I've no time for him as a manager but making up rubbish off the top of your head such as he didn't go to a club game all year or he didn't try new players is embarrassing to be honest.
You just complain about everything regardless, as someone else pointed out recently.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Drung on February 18, 2010, 04:33:41 PM
QuoteNow I know you have nothing worth a damn to say about anything but do you think Carr himself has done enough to look at players? After all he is getting paid to manage the team isn't he?

I think he has actually.
I don't think anyone disputes the fact that, more or less, the 25-30 best available players are on the panel. If you disagree, tell me who should be there.
The problem is that Carr doesn't have them motivated, in shape or playing well! I'm not a Carr apologist, I've no time for him as a manager but making up rubbish off the top of your head such as he didn't go to a club game all year or he didn't try new players is embarrassing to be honest.
You just complain about everything regardless, as someone else pointed out recently.

Did you read what I said or are you replying to something you think I said. To summarise...

- Carr may have the best players on his panel but its not down to him scouring the county looking for them. They are players I presume that were referred to him.
- Has Carr been seen at a game outside Breffni. He was on RTE radio commentating on matches when championship games were being played last year. He has attend f**k all matches and everyone on here knows that so what are you going on about. Is that not a fact?