Previous topic - Next topic

put-it-up

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 16, 2010, 02:13:38 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 08:20:39 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 15, 2010, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 07:25:24 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:20:06 PM
Carr talking shite in an article on Hoganstand

Cavan boss Tommy Carr afforded Antrim the height of praise after his side's dismantlement (1-8 to 2-13) by the Saffrons in their NFL Division Three clash on Saturday night last.

Carr said aspects of Antrim's play resembled that normally associated with Tyrone.

"We showed nothing of the passion and intensity and pace from the Roscommon game but we were caught a bit with the difference of standard between that game and this latest one.

"Antrim are a very good team and the difference in standard between Antrim and Roscommon was there for all to see.

"They moved the ball well and there was a level of physicality about them that we found difficult to handle.

"Antrim did a lot of running from midfield and their number 11 was full of business.

"They were very aggressive in their running - perpetual running - and in that respect they looked like Tyrone but we knew before the game that it would be more like a Tyrone game than a Roscommon game."

He might be better served trying to implement some sort of similar system to what Baker Bradley has and coming up with ways to counteract how Antrim have ran straight through our defense like it wasnt there,the last twice we've met them,Instead of saying nice things about the opposition. f**k sake  ::)

I think Carr is threading water. He has made zero effort to find new talent and seems to me to be interested in doing the minimum to collect his cheque, oh sorry expenses, each week. Another bucko thats never out of the media talking bullshit. Last week he was saying that he wanted back to back wins to prove consistency and this week we might as well have been playing Tyrone.

Ahh hold on there.  He has given debuts to Corr, Clarke, McGuigan, Nesty, Eoin Smith, the other Denn corner back who's name escapes me this year already.

Carr has an extremely young squad at the minute and in my opinion results like Saturday and up & down performances can so easily happen without senior members within a squad.

Can anyone tell me who the senior members are, who would be talking to the young fellas giving them advice and encouraging them?

What I mean is he wasn't at a club game all year and when quizzed on it he reckoned he didn't need to because the regional trials would show up the best players. We all know what happened them. So any new players he has were recommended to him. Maybe it is just me but a manager like him should be realising that the older group of players need replacing and his top priority should be to scour the county for new players. Maybe he has the best in there now but its not through any work he did to find them.

I saw him at plenty of games last year... let's just not go over the top on this one

I would love to know how many club grounds TC has been to!

I know we have a fairly limited bunch at the minute but I honestly don't think we are getting as much out of them as we can.

Celt_Man

Quote from: put-it-up on February 16, 2010, 02:34:03 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 16, 2010, 02:13:38 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 08:20:39 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 15, 2010, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 07:25:24 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:20:06 PM
Carr talking shite in an article on Hoganstand

Cavan boss Tommy Carr afforded Antrim the height of praise after his side's dismantlement (1-8 to 2-13) by the Saffrons in their NFL Division Three clash on Saturday night last.

Carr said aspects of Antrim's play resembled that normally associated with Tyrone.

"We showed nothing of the passion and intensity and pace from the Roscommon game but we were caught a bit with the difference of standard between that game and this latest one.

"Antrim are a very good team and the difference in standard between Antrim and Roscommon was there for all to see.

"They moved the ball well and there was a level of physicality about them that we found difficult to handle.

"Antrim did a lot of running from midfield and their number 11 was full of business.

"They were very aggressive in their running - perpetual running - and in that respect they looked like Tyrone but we knew before the game that it would be more like a Tyrone game than a Roscommon game."

He might be better served trying to implement some sort of similar system to what Baker Bradley has and coming up with ways to counteract how Antrim have ran straight through our defense like it wasnt there,the last twice we've met them,Instead of saying nice things about the opposition. f**k sake  ::)

I think Carr is threading water. He has made zero effort to find new talent and seems to me to be interested in doing the minimum to collect his cheque, oh sorry expenses, each week. Another bucko thats never out of the media talking bullshit. Last week he was saying that he wanted back to back wins to prove consistency and this week we might as well have been playing Tyrone.

Ahh hold on there.  He has given debuts to Corr, Clarke, McGuigan, Nesty, Eoin Smith, the other Denn corner back who's name escapes me this year already.

Carr has an extremely young squad at the minute and in my opinion results like Saturday and up & down performances can so easily happen without senior members within a squad.

Can anyone tell me who the senior members are, who would be talking to the young fellas giving them advice and encouraging them?

What I mean is he wasn't at a club game all year and when quizzed on it he reckoned he didn't need to because the regional trials would show up the best players. We all know what happened them. So any new players he has were recommended to him. Maybe it is just me but a manager like him should be realising that the older group of players need replacing and his top priority should be to scour the county for new players. Maybe he has the best in there now but its not through any work he did to find them.

I saw him at plenty of games last year... let's just not go over the top on this one

I would love to know how many club grounds TC has been to!

I know we have a fairly limited bunch at the minute but I honestly don't think we are getting as much out of them as we can.

Well I saw him at a fair few games in Breffni anyway but yea I would agree that we're not getting the best out of them consistently
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

Ah i know he went to Breffni alright, but does that mean he was just going to watch whatever games were on in the park?

Yeah I know were no worldbeaters, but there is definetly more out of are boys if they were willing to work harder for 70 mins and designed a game-plan to suit there strengths rather than playing like 15 individual footballers as Cavan have done in previous years.

Denn Forever

Two games in.

Very good in the first one but against limited (except D Shine) opposition.

Good first half in the second half but were pants in the second half.

Lets see how things are when we get the Sigerson ad Walsh cups over and done with.

Am I being over optimistic?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 16, 2010, 03:33:46 PM
Two games in.

Very good in the first one but against limited (except D Shine) opposition.

Good first half in the second half but were pants in the second half.

Lets see how things are when we get the Sigerson ad Walsh cups over and done with.

Am I being over optimistic?

Not at all sure we're still in the promotion spots after 2 rounds!!!

Div 3    P    W    D    L    Dif    Pts
Antrim    2    2    0    0    9    4
Cavan    2    1    0    1    5    2
Offaly    2    1    0    1    2    2
Louth    2    1    0    1    1    2
Sligo            2    1    0    1    0    2
Wexford    2    1    0    1    -1    2
Fermanagh    2    1    0    1    -2    2
Roscommon    2    0    0    2    -14    0

boojangles

Quote from: boojangles on February 09, 2010, 05:20:52 PM

Call me a bollix for saying so but we have 2 men from Junior clubs in the top positions in Senior and Youth football in Cavan and some of the decisions made are only aimed at helping Junior clubs,and not the overall standard of football in Cavan.

Heres more of it. 3 Amalgamated teams in Division 3 Minor-Yes Division 3.
Blackwater Gaels consisting of Maghera,Munterconnacht and Mountnugent.
Shannon Gaels and Templeport are together and Corlough,Swad and (was I hearing right??) Cornafean.
Cavan Football is on the UP.

Dougal

Quote from: boojangles on February 16, 2010, 10:23:11 PM
Quote from: boojangles on February 09, 2010, 05:20:52 PM

Call me a bollix for saying so but we have 2 men from Junior clubs in the top positions in Senior and Youth football in Cavan and some of the decisions made are only aimed at helping Junior clubs,and not the overall standard of football in Cavan.

Heres more of it. 3 Amalgamated teams in Division 3 Minor-Yes Division 3.
Blackwater Gaels consisting of Maghera,Munterconnacht and Mountnugent.
Shannon Gaels and Templeport are together and Corlough,Swad and (was I hearing right??) Cornafean.
Cavan Football is on the UP.

yes cornacrieve.also i believe drumlane cant field a minor team so their 3 minors have gone to st.joes,the rest that are still u16 will be playing with templeport and shannon gaels.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

full moon

You think that is bad, one of the biggest clubs in the county don't even have a minor team this year. Mullahoran can't even get a team together for division 4. This is the same club that had 4-5 county minors last year and were in division 1. Where did those players go?
So a few of their players are playing with Gowna, one a county minor.

As has been said it is the same arrangement with Drumlane not fielding a team and giving the players they have left to St Joes, two town clubs that are already amalgamated.

How are the smaller clubs suppose to deal with these arrangements? Its hardly fair to the likes of Lavey and Ballyhaise. Again they were shortchanged last year with the minor amalgamations, as well as this year.

And lets not even go into the antics of some of these hyped up "development squads". Develop Walsh's ego and bank account more like. ::)

boojangles

Quote from: full moon on February 16, 2010, 11:57:31 PM
You think that is bad, one of the biggest clubs in the county don't even have a minor team this year. Mullahoran can't even get a team together for division 4. This is the same club that had 4-5 county minors last year and were in division 1. Where did those players go?

As has been said it is the same arrangement with Drumlane not fielding a team and giving the players they have left to St Joes, two town clubs that are already amalgamated.

How are the smaller clubs suppose to deal with these arrangements? Its hardly fair to the likes of Lavey and Ballyhaise. Again they were shortchanged last year with the minor amalgamations, as well as this year.

And lets not even go into the antics of some of these hyped up "development squads". Develop Walsh's ego and bank account more like. ::)

Heard about the Mullahoran situation alright.Unbelievable.
Amalgamation is the new buzz word in Cavan football.Its gonna solve all our problems.
Its not Location,Location,Location anymore Its Amalgamate,Amalgamate,Amalgamate. ::) ::)

put-it-up

For a county of our size I think there are far too many clubs in Cavan. I would be interested to see statistics from other counties with clubs/population ratio..

Minor football is by far the hardest age-group to keep numbers up..College, drink, work, women. Boy's become independent and lose interest in it...been a problem for our club anyway.

Dougal

the aul lad was talking to a lad in the mullahoran club a while back and he said they only have about 10 players between 12 and 18,so the future isnt looking good for them.

around 2500 clubs in the country /32 = in or around 78 clubs per county.i dont know about number of clubs compared to population.i doubt were much above average,but i do think there are too many clubs.

Celt_Man

Quote from: full moon on February 16, 2010, 11:57:31 PM

Right I'll take the bait, would care to develop this point further please?

Dougal

keating conor smith an ado cole have supposedly been dropped from the u21 panel for drinking

cavanmaniac

That news about Mullahoran is absolutely staggering, it really is.

I'm a long time out of the county but in my teens they were literally teeming with players; the size of the parish and the population, plus the tradition there meant it couldn't be anything else.

What in the name of Jesus is after happening, it's still a rural parish where GAA should still be King and yet you have this apalling fall off in numbers at underage where it should be at its most vibrant.

Things in Cavan really are worse than they seem.

Celt_Man

From Anglo Celt

Board slates timing of Sigerson Cup

CAVAN county board chairman Tom Reilly has blasted the timing of the Sigerson Cup, the main football competitiion for third level collges which is played off each spring.

"Tommy Carr and his management team have been working hard in difficult circumstances to prepare our team despite the obstacles of injury and unavailablity of players who are forced to divide their loyalties between college and county due to poor fixture making at national level," wrote Reilly in his message in the programme for last Saturday's NFL clash with Antrim.

"This problem affects nearly every county and is something which needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency," he said.

Cavan have suffered the loss of two of the county's top players due to injury sustained on college duty already this season.

Sean Johnston suffered a suspected broken elbow while helping DCU to victory over UCD last Wednesday week while, in the same game, 2009 Cavan captain Ronan Flanagan picked up a "severe dead leg" which ruled him out of last Sunday week's NFL Division Three opener away to Carr's former charges Roscommon. Tom Reilly's comments come just a fortnight after Carr himself expressed similar sentiments.

"It just confirms my thoughts on the timing of the Sigerson," stated the manager.

"I'm a former Sigerson player myself, but to play it at this time of the year is ridiculous," he said.

"We have been denied the players up until now [days before the league began], and then they play the Sigerson just a few days before the start of the league."