Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 15, 2010, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 07:25:24 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:20:06 PM
Carr talking shite in an article on Hoganstand

Cavan boss Tommy Carr afforded Antrim the height of praise after his side's dismantlement (1-8 to 2-13) by the Saffrons in their NFL Division Three clash on Saturday night last.

Carr said aspects of Antrim's play resembled that normally associated with Tyrone.

"We showed nothing of the passion and intensity and pace from the Roscommon game but we were caught a bit with the difference of standard between that game and this latest one.

"Antrim are a very good team and the difference in standard between Antrim and Roscommon was there for all to see.

"They moved the ball well and there was a level of physicality about them that we found difficult to handle.

"Antrim did a lot of running from midfield and their number 11 was full of business.

"They were very aggressive in their running - perpetual running - and in that respect they looked like Tyrone but we knew before the game that it would be more like a Tyrone game than a Roscommon game."

He might be better served trying to implement some sort of similar system to what Baker Bradley has and coming up with ways to counteract how Antrim have ran straight through our defense like it wasnt there,the last twice we've met them,Instead of saying nice things about the opposition. f**k sake  ::)

I think Carr is threading water. He has made zero effort to find new talent and seems to me to be interested in doing the minimum to collect his cheque, oh sorry expenses, each week. Another bucko thats never out of the media talking bullshit. Last week he was saying that he wanted back to back wins to prove consistency and this week we might as well have been playing Tyrone.

Ahh hold on there.  He has given debuts to Corr, Clarke, McGuigan, Nesty, Eoin Smith, the other Denn corner back who's name escapes me this year already.

Carr has an extremely young squad at the minute and in my opinion results like Saturday and up & down performances can so easily happen without senior members within a squad.

Can anyone tell me who the senior members are, who would be talking to the young fellas giving them advice and encouraging them?

What I mean is he wasn't at a club game all year and when quizzed on it he reckoned he didn't need to because the regional trials would show up the best players. We all know what happened them. So any new players he has were recommended to him. Maybe it is just me but a manager like him should be realising that the older group of players need replacing and his top priority should be to scour the county for new players. Maybe he has the best in there now but its not through any work he did to find them.

beer baron

Someone mentioned there why does walsh not try catch the ball more?No one notice that he has no timing at all whatsoever and has usually jumped and landed before the ball arrives?

cavan4sam

Lads did anyone else find it commical when Walsh went down pretending to be injured after he kicked a terrible ball across the sideline?

Western Blue

I am sick and tired of reading about the great players with Cavan Gaels and the contribution they would make if they were playing with the county..
Its quite obvious to me and I don't live in the county any more but from my enquires made their key players have been asked by the present and past manager to join the squad but for personal and selfish reasons their not interested
. So forget about Duffy,Rabitte Reilly etc as their not prepared to contribute anything to the improvement of our County Team but just play for their beloved Gaels in the hope of winning a Ulster/All Ireland Club title......dream on lads !!

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: cavan4sam on February 15, 2010, 09:07:24 PM
Lads did anyone else find it commical when Walsh went down pretending to be injured after he kicked a terrible ball across the sideline?

that was pretty funny alright ;D

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Western Blue on February 15, 2010, 10:25:53 PM
I am sick and tired of reading about the great players with Cavan Gaels and the contribution they would make if they were playing with the county..
Its quite obvious to me and I don't live in the county any more but from my enquires made their key players have been asked by the present and past manager to join the squad but for personal and selfish reasons their not interested
. So forget about Duffy,Rabitte Reilly etc as their not prepared to contribute anything to the improvement of our County Team but just play for their beloved Gaels in the hope of winning a Ulster/All Ireland Club title......dream on lads !!
You're right,Its a shame though that some of our best players in club football wont play for the county such as 4/5 of the gaels lads,Trevor Crowe of Lacken etc, but as you say no point harping on and on about it.

put-it-up

No point in trying to force a lad to play. You need them to want to be part of a team and hungry for success. Clearly none that Gaels lads feel like that so just forget about them. It's not as if any of them are world-beaters anyway. There average enough players in IC terms.

Have we progressed at all in Carr's tenure?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on February 16, 2010, 12:36:38 AM
No point in trying to force a lad to play. You need them to want to be part of a team and hungry for success. Clearly none that Gaels lads feel like that so just forget about them. It's not as if any of them are world-beaters anyway. There average enough players in IC terms.

Have we progressed at all in Carr's tenure?

I'd give him to  the end of the year but I don't think we have. With the exception of a spirited display against Down in Newry (league) and Fermanagh in Breffni (championship) we have looked flat and lacking in motivation. For me thats always a bad sign, because no matter who you put out to play and even if they are substandard players, they should be motivated and raring to go.

nothingbettertobeat

the demise of the cavan senior team in recent years has saddened me. Goes to show you nowadays that player power is taking over. players choosing not to play for their county is disgrace, down through the years it was always the greatest honour as a player to represent his county team now people are turning the chance down. im not from cavan but have cum on express my views. this may hurt a few people me saying this but they are now probably the weakest ulster team by quite a distance.
have they any good minors or potential talent cuming through?
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

full moon

There is some talent coming through from previous minors and U21 teams. But as well know, makeing the step into senior football is a big one. And from what I have heard this years minor team will not be going too far in the championship.

In my opinion coaching at underage levels leaves alot to be desired. Too many coaches with agendas and I would even use the word nepotism to describe some of the antics I have seen. Men taking charge of teams with no experience just so they can play their son and nephews in the team. I think that behaviour is disgraceful. Would you find that sort of crap in Tyrone or some of the leading counties? Not a chance.

Questions should also be asked about how some teams are allowed amalgamate. Such as Baileborogh and Shercock last year who went on to win the minor championship. 2 big towns with more than enough players for their respective teams. Baileborough with the same players who won several division 1 titles in u16,14 etc. It is beyond belief how a club team of that stature can be granted an amalgamation. And then they are up against smaller club sides like Ballyhaise and Lavey. How can that be fair?

I honestly am fed up with Cavan football from the county team to underage club games, there is so many problems and nobody willing to fix them.

put-it-up

Quote from: full moon on February 16, 2010, 01:24:35 PM
There is some talent coming through from previous minors and U21 teams. But as well know, makeing the step into senior football is a big one. And from what I have heard this years minor team will not be going too far in the championship.

In my opinion coaching at underage levels leaves alot to be desired. Too many coaches with agendas and I would even use the word nepotism to describe some of the antics I have seen. Men taking charge of teams with no experience just so they can play their son and nephews in the team. I think that behaviour is disgraceful. Would you find that sort of crap in Tyrone or some of the leading counties? Not a chance.

Questions should also be asked about how some teams are allowed amalgamate. Such as Baileborogh and Shercock last year who went on to win the minor championship. 2 big towns with more than enough players for their respective teams. Baileborough with the same players who won several division 1 titles in u16,14 etc. It is beyond belief how a club team of that stature can be granted an amalgamation. And then they are up against smaller club sides like Ballyhaise and Lavey. How can that be fair?

I honestly am fed up with Cavan football from the county team to underage club games, there is so many problems and nobody willing to fix them.

Going to have to take you up on that point New Moon because as a Bailieborough man I have a serious problem with it.

Last year, was the fourth year we amalgamated with Shercock under the name Killann Gaels. Nobody complained the previous three years when we had two first round exits. I for one don't like to see my own club amalgamating and in an ideal world we wouldn't have too.

The fact is Cavan Gaels had dominated the minor championship for ten years and amalgamtions were introduced to try and put a stop to that. And when a team does, they are criticized for amalgamating.

I can also assure that numbers were a big problem for club at minor level over the last number of years and I know for a fact for two of the years, without the addition of some Shercock lads we would not have been able to field a team.

The two clubs made an agreement to amalgamate for three years and see if anything would come of it and it did. If the county board do decide they want to persist with amalgamations such as Drumbride, then they have to give them time. Rarely will they click straight away.

full moon

Quote from: put-it-up on February 16, 2010, 01:49:28 PM

Going to have to take you up on that point New Moon because as a Bailieborough man I have a serious problem with it.

Last year, was the fourth year we amalgamated with Shercock under the name Killann Gaels. Nobody complained the previous three years when we had two first round exits. I for one don't like to see my own club amalgamating and in an ideal world we wouldn't have too.

The fact is Cavan Gaels had dominated the minor championship for ten years and amalgamtions were introduced to try and put a stop to that. And when a team does, they are criticized for amalgamating.

I can also assure that numbers were a big problem for club at minor level over the last number of years and I know for a fact for two of the years, without the addition of some Shercock lads we would not have been able to field a team.

The two clubs made an agreement to amalgamate for three years and see if anything would come of it and it did. If the county board do decide they want to persist with amalgamations such as Drumbride, then they have to give them time. Rarely will they click straight away.

I hear what you are saying put it up. But I think amalgamations should be done on a year by year and case by case basis. Sure maybe Shercock and BB needed to join up in previous years to get numbers.

Last year though they certainly both had the numbers and BB themselves were one of the best teams in division 1 already. They just underperformed in the league and questions could have been raised as to whether they took the league seriously enough in order to get their amalgamation for the Championship.

BB were in my opinion the 2nd best minor team in the county last year, they didn't need to amalgamate for the Championship.
And yes it was good to see an end to the Gaels dominance at minor level but I don't think there was any danger of their team last year winning the Championship anyway.

Celt_Man

I argee with ya totally there put-it-up.  Kilann is just an easy target to give out about.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 08:20:39 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 15, 2010, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 07:25:24 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:20:06 PM
Carr talking shite in an article on Hoganstand

Cavan boss Tommy Carr afforded Antrim the height of praise after his side's dismantlement (1-8 to 2-13) by the Saffrons in their NFL Division Three clash on Saturday night last.

Carr said aspects of Antrim's play resembled that normally associated with Tyrone.

"We showed nothing of the passion and intensity and pace from the Roscommon game but we were caught a bit with the difference of standard between that game and this latest one.

"Antrim are a very good team and the difference in standard between Antrim and Roscommon was there for all to see.

"They moved the ball well and there was a level of physicality about them that we found difficult to handle.

"Antrim did a lot of running from midfield and their number 11 was full of business.

"They were very aggressive in their running - perpetual running - and in that respect they looked like Tyrone but we knew before the game that it would be more like a Tyrone game than a Roscommon game."

He might be better served trying to implement some sort of similar system to what Baker Bradley has and coming up with ways to counteract how Antrim have ran straight through our defense like it wasnt there,the last twice we've met them,Instead of saying nice things about the opposition. f**k sake  ::)

I think Carr is threading water. He has made zero effort to find new talent and seems to me to be interested in doing the minimum to collect his cheque, oh sorry expenses, each week. Another bucko thats never out of the media talking bullshit. Last week he was saying that he wanted back to back wins to prove consistency and this week we might as well have been playing Tyrone.

Ahh hold on there.  He has given debuts to Corr, Clarke, McGuigan, Nesty, Eoin Smith, the other Denn corner back who's name escapes me this year already.

Carr has an extremely young squad at the minute and in my opinion results like Saturday and up & down performances can so easily happen without senior members within a squad.

Can anyone tell me who the senior members are, who would be talking to the young fellas giving them advice and encouraging them?

What I mean is he wasn't at a club game all year and when quizzed on it he reckoned he didn't need to because the regional trials would show up the best players. We all know what happened them. So any new players he has were recommended to him. Maybe it is just me but a manager like him should be realising that the older group of players need replacing and his top priority should be to scour the county for new players. Maybe he has the best in there now but its not through any work he did to find them.

I saw him at plenty of games last year... let's just not go over the top on this one
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

put-it-up

Quote from: full moon on February 16, 2010, 02:12:07 PM

I hear what you are saying put it up. But I think amalgamations should be done on a year by year and case by case basis. Sure maybe Shercock and BB needed to join up in previous years to get numbers.

Last year though they certainly both had the numbers and BB themselves were one of the best teams in division 1 already. They just underperformed in the league and questions could have been raised as to whether they took the league seriously enough in order to get their amalgamation for the Championship.

BB were in my opinion the 2nd best minor team in the county last year, they didn't need to amalgamate for the Championship.
And yes it was good to see an end to the Gaels dominance at minor level but I don't think there was any danger of their team last year winning the Championship anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they won one game in the league and are you actually suggestion that they went out looking to lose? Are you having a giraffe? I suppose they were backing the other team in Sean Shields as well before they went down to the park...give me a break ;D.

I can guarantee you without the Shercock lads, there would have been a game or two that Bailieborough would not have been able to field 15 lads.

And anyway the fact that they won the minor championship doesn't concern me. What concerns me, is an amalgamated side from our county got hammered in the Paul McGirr tournament. That there is the problem, not the amalgamation.