Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 14, 2010, 09:41:44 AM
The U21's and minors is where I desperately want to see something happening and seniors would just be a bonus if we got anything from it. I have my suspicions that we will fall short at senior level this year and I have my suspicions that Tommy Carr, the man I hoped would get the job, is not a good manager at all.

That'd be my attitude in a nutshell as well.

Denn Forever

Is the next game during the day?  Maybe we don't like cold frosty nights.

Dissapointing but can't say I'm surprised.  Did any of the subs rate?  Brennan?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Ronan Flanagan wasnt up to his usual standards,but hes only coming back from injury,so i wouldnt be too worried about that.
Ciaran Galligan wasnt in the game much, as he was shifted to Wing Forward when he came on and Givney put into Midfield.
Brennan was brought on with about 10 minutes left only got one ball sent in to him from what i can remember and won a free out on the side line.
Eddie was only brought on in the last few minutes.

Celt_Man

Poor performance on saturday especially the second half.  Very disappointed with the workrate up front they seem to let their men run up the field an awful lot.  Our gameplan from the Roscommon was never gonna work as Antrim dropped men back into the spaces where Nesty was looking to pass into for our forwards to run and collect.  I suppose Clarke and Cahill could have eased back on going forward - bringing more men into their half of the field.

On another note and don't all jump on me for defending my clubman, the centre forward for Antrim McCann got 1 -3 but John was never marking him.  He lined out at wing back from the start and his man was Pollock and didn't do a whole pile.  So I don't think he played as bad as some of ye are making out.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 15, 2010, 02:42:42 PM
Poor performance on saturday especially the second half.  Very disappointed with the workrate up front they seem to let their men run up the field an awful lot.  Our gameplan from the Roscommon was never gonna work as Antrim dropped men back into the spaces where Nesty was looking to pass into for our forwards to run and collect.  I suppose Clarke and Cahill could have eased back on going forward - bringing more men into their half of the field.

On another note and don't all jump on me for defending my clubman, the centre forward for Antrim McCann got 1 -3 but John was never marking him.  He lined out at wing back from the start and his man was Pollock and didn't do a whole pile.  So I don't think he played as bad as some of ye are making out.

He wasnt anywhere closed to the worst Celt Man,But seeing as McCutcheon's emergence was probably the one shining light of last years entire campaign,he wasnt up to the standard which we have come to expect from him.

Lawrence of Knockbride

It's true that he wasn't centre-back but I thought he was way off his man on a number of ocassions. As I said and BH Man mentioned he was player you were glad to see on the team for plenty of reasons but I thought he was poor the other night.

Western Blue

Terrible 2nd half team performance  last Sat.
The forwards looked to be knackered as they were not looking for the ball and stopped making any runs when we had possession. I have been waiting for N.Walsh to mature into role of been solid  midfielder and show some leadership with the retirement of McCabe but last Sat performance from him was dire.  He should retire from inter county football as we are only going to play with 14 players for each game if he continues to be selected for this league campaign.
For a big man he touched the ball I would say SIX times in total between the Roscommon and Antrim game. He must realize himself he is not contributing.

BallyhaiseMan

Carr talking shite in an article on Hoganstand

Cavan boss Tommy Carr afforded Antrim the height of praise after his side's dismantlement (1-8 to 2-13) by the Saffrons in their NFL Division Three clash on Saturday night last.

Carr said aspects of Antrim's play resembled that normally associated with Tyrone.

"We showed nothing of the passion and intensity and pace from the Roscommon game but we were caught a bit with the difference of standard between that game and this latest one.

"Antrim are a very good team and the difference in standard between Antrim and Roscommon was there for all to see.

"They moved the ball well and there was a level of physicality about them that we found difficult to handle.

"Antrim did a lot of running from midfield and their number 11 was full of business.

"They were very aggressive in their running - perpetual running - and in that respect they looked like Tyrone but we knew before the game that it would be more like a Tyrone game than a Roscommon game."

He might be better served trying to implement some sort of similar system to what Baker Bradley has and coming up with ways to counteract how Antrim have ran straight through our defense like it wasnt there,the last twice we've met them,Instead of saying nice things about the opposition. f**k sake  ::)

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Western Blue on February 15, 2010, 07:19:41 PM
The forwards looked to be knackered as they were not looking for the ball and stopped making any runs when we had possession. I have been waiting for N.Walsh to mature into role of been solid  midfielder and show some leadership with the retirement of McCabe but last Sat performance from him was dire.  He should retire from inter county football as we are only going to play with 14 players for each game if he continues to be selected for this league campaign.
For a big man he touched the ball I would say SIX times in total between the Roscommon and Antrim game. He must realize himself he is not contributing.

Good analysis WB
Hes only The Gaels third best midfielder after Sean Reily and Cathal Collins (when he plays there)
i cant remember a game that hes stood out as being genuinely IC material.
Slag Ciaran Galligan all you want,but the guy contributes some points from play and good athleticism even if he wont catch 4 or 5 clean balls a game,Walsh doesnt have the athleticism to do that,Case in point Paddy Keenan running him ragged in Drogheda last year when he carried the ball at speed.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:20:06 PM

Cavan boss Tommy Carr afforded Antrim the height of praise after his side's dismantlement (1-8 to 2-13) by the Saffrons in their NFL Division Three clash on Saturday night last.

Carr said aspects of Antrim's play resembled that normally associated with Tyrone.

"We showed nothing of the passion and intensity and pace from the Roscommon game but we were caught a bit with the difference of standard between that game and this latest one.

"Antrim are a very good team and the difference in standard between Antrim and Roscommon was there for all to see.

"They moved the ball well and there was a level of physicality about them that we found difficult to handle.

"Antrim did a lot of running from midfield and their number 11 was full of business.

"They were very aggressive in their running - perpetual running - and in that respect they looked like Tyrone but we knew before the game that it would be more like a Tyrone game than a Roscommon game."

He might be better served trying to implement some sort of similar system to what Baker Bradley has and coming up with ways to counteract how Antrim have ran straight through our defense like it wasnt there,the last twice we've met them,Instead of saying nice things about the opposition. f**k sake  ::)

I think Carr is threading water. He has made zero effort to find new talent and seems to me to be interested in doing the minimum to collect his cheque, oh sorry expenses, each week. Another bucko thats never out of the media talking bullshit. Last week he was saying that he wanted back to back wins to prove consistency and this week we might as well have been playing Tyrone.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:24:15 PM

Good analysis WB
Hes only The Gaels third best midfielder after Sean Reily and Cathal Collins (when he plays there)
Slag Ciaran Galligan all you want,but the guy contributes some points from play and good athleticism even if he wont catch 4 or 5 clean balls a game,Walsh doesnt have the athleticism to do that,Case in point Paddy Keenan running him ragged in Drogheda last year when he carried the ball at speed.

Walsh looks to me to be a lad doing the wrong training, He has too much muscle on which seems to have slowed him down. Its not Aussie rules he is playing now and it is a shame. I have time for Ciaran Galligan and at least when he plays you know you have someone who will run after players and will cover ground.

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 07:25:24 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:20:06 PM

I think Carr is threading water. He has made zero effort to find new talent and seems to me to be interested in doing the minimum to collect his cheque, oh sorry expenses, each week. Another bucko thats never out of the media talking bullshit. Last week he was saying that he wanted back to back wins to prove consistency and this week we might as well have been playing Tyrone.

Ahh hold on there.  He has given debuts to Corr, Clarke, McGuigan, Nesty, Eoin Smith, the other Denn corner back who's name escapes me this year already.

Carr has an extremely young squad at the minute and in my opinion results like Saturday and up & down performances can so easily happen without senior members within a squad.

Can anyone tell me who the senior members are, who would be talking to the young fellas giving them advice and encouraging them?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 15, 2010, 07:27:29 PM

Good analysis WB

Walsh looks to me to be a lad doing the wrong training, He has too much muscle on which seems to have slowed him down. Its not Aussie rules he is playing now and it is a shame. I have time for Ciaran Galligan and at least when he plays you know you have someone who will run after players and will cover ground.

i dont know if thats the problem,im sure Walsh is in probably better shape than any other player on the Cavan team,with regards body fat levels etc.
He has a great leap and good hands,i just dont understand why he will not try and catch the ball,he goes to break it 90% of the time.Different midfielders like Neil Gallagher etc arent the most mobile but they are there just to win posession,Walsh would be well worth his place on the team if he could contribute 2/3 clean catches per game.

Celt_Man

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:39:56 PM

Good analysis WB

i dont know if thats the problem,im sure Walsh is in probably better shape than any other player on the Cavan team,with regards body fat levels etc.
He has a great leap and good hands,i just dont understand why he will not try and catch the ball,he goes to break it 90% of the time.Different midfielders like Neil Gallagher etc arent the most mobile but they are there just to win posession,Walsh would be well worth his place on the team if he could contribute 2/3 clean catches per game.

Team instructions??  A few times at games this year I have heard that coming from the line... a response to the new mark rule perhaps

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 15, 2010, 07:45:37 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 15, 2010, 07:39:56 PM

Good analysis WB

Team instructions??  A few times at games this year I have heard that coming from the line... a response to the new mark rule perhaps

If its team instructions,the management ought to have realised by now, after about 15 months on the job its not working.