Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence of Knockbride

I'll file a report if everyone stops squabbling.

Denn Forever

Cliff notes are used by students who can't be bothered reading the text book.  They provide summaries of the text and accepted analysis of the subject.

Some people call them "cheats".  And guess who published them first.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 13, 2010, 02:26:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CliffsNotes

and i still don't know what they are.

How about BHM just does his usual 1-15 ratings and comments, thanks in advance.

np Myles,il add it at about 9.30pm before i go on the razz.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 13, 2010, 04:08:00 PM

Cheers, I only ask as I will be forced to listen to Northern Sound online and we all know that that will give me no idea whatsoever of who played well :D

Dougal

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 13, 2010, 04:11:20 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on February 13, 2010, 04:08:00 PM

Cheers, I only ask as I will be forced to listen to Northern Sound online and we all know that that will give me no idea whatsoever of who played well :D

you will however know who played well in some challenge match 50 years ago.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

anglocelt39

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you Myles. I suppose my precise question is why are you so consistently highly critical of one of the few (possibly the only) current Cavan player that other Counties would like to have in their panel. Of course it is your right to use this forum to post your views and I'm sure you'll allow me to challenge those views where I see fit. So, specifically:

What is the problem with the lad giving some fairly harmless quotes to a a journalist on the current state of Cavan football?

Why do you appear to be willing to kiss and make up with two of the Chicago three but not our Seanie?

Finally, what were you thinking when you used the Mick Higgins tribute thread, of all places to make critical comments about the player in question?

You say it's a number of small things that contribute to your problem with the player in question and there is no doubt that his attitude could do with improving (based on last year anyway). Maybe it's time to consider the bigger picture:

Like many others, he's a lad indulging his hobby and putting huge hours into it, hardly in the hope of picking up an All Ireland any time soon. By all means get stuck into Ronaldo, Beckham or even Stephen Ireland, they're paid a few bob to compensate them for criticism. be it informed or not.

As I understand it he's bust his gut since minor level to improve his skills and strength and deserves credit. If some of his minor colleagues from a few years ago had put in the same effort into improving themselves we'd be better placed (Mckeever, Gaynor, Paddy Brady, Sean Brady etc. etc.).

Finally, he actually chooses to turn out and represent his County, which is different from I reckon as many as six of his current club mates and a number of others who constantly get referred to on here as being serious additions to the County team if they could be bothered.

Bottom line is that there are far bigger issues in Cavan football than Sean Johnstons on pitch demeanour.

Enjoy a lot of your posts Myles, just that you are way too harsh on the lad in question.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

boojangles

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 13, 2010, 06:44:24 PM

Enjoy a lot of your posts Myles, just that you are way too harsh on the lad in question.

Have to agree.Some may question his demeanor but if we had a few more like Sean we wouldn't be playing Division 3 football.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 13, 2010, 06:44:24 PM
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you Myles. I suppose my precise question is why are you so consistently highly critical of one of the few (possibly the only) current Cavan player that other Counties would like to have in their panel. Of course it is your right to use this forum to post your views and I'm sure you'll allow me to challenge those views where I see fit. So, specifically:

What is the problem with the lad giving some fairly harmless quotes to a a journalist on the current state of Cavan football?

Why do you appear to be willing to kiss and make up with two of the Chicago three but not our Seanie?

Finally, what were you thinking when you used the Mick Higgins tribute thread, of all places to make critical comments about the player in question?

You say it's a number of small things that contribute to your problem with the player in question and there is no doubt that his attitude could do with improving (based on last year anyway). Maybe it's time to consider the bigger picture:

Like many others, he's a lad indulging his hobby and putting huge hours into it, hardly in the hope of picking up an All Ireland any time soon. By all means get stuck into Ronaldo, Beckham or even Stephen Ireland, they're paid a few bob to compensate them for criticism. be it informed or not.

As I understand it he's bust his gut since minor level to improve his skills and strength and deserves credit. If some of his minor colleagues from a few years ago had put in the same effort into improving themselves we'd be better placed (Mckeever, Gaynor, Paddy Brady, Sean Brady etc. etc.).

Finally, he actually chooses to turn out and represent his County, which is different from I reckon as many as six of his current club mates and a number of others who constantly get referred to on here as being serious additions to the County team if they could be bothered.

Bottom line is that there are far bigger issues in Cavan football than Sean Johnstons on pitch demeanour.

OK, you want answers here you go...

It is his constant comments in the media about Cavan supporters that I have problem with. Search back through these pages and you'll find others. What he said was false as there is no false sense of superiority in Cavan supporters circles - so why is he having ago about an issue that doesn't exist.

Them 3 heading off was a dirty act and Keoghan was right to try and punish them, the fact that he hadn't the balls to follow through is a measure of Keoghan. It is done and dusted now and nowhere of late have I criticised any of these 3 players for this issue.

The county panel not showing for the funeral of a legend was a disgrace but granted it was more the fault of Carr and the Co Board. I spoke lately with a journalist who described the act as revolting. I used Seanies actions as an example of falling standards of respect and I don't apologise for it.

You seem to imply I have a vendetta against Seanie Johnstone. I don't. I don't even know him. I just expect our players to do their best and maybe show a bit of respect for the people that pay in to see them.

Now that is my final word on it, I don't want to drag up old debates.

anglocelt39

I don't have to imply you have a vendetta against the lad in question Myles, go back through your posts and it's fairily clear you have a big problem with him for whatever reason. Possibly a bit of the good old fashioned "too big for his boots" outlook

As regards your comments on the Mick Higgins funeral arrangements, the words dog and bone spring to mind. The last I saw of your exchanges over on Hoganstand a member of the Higgins family was on complimenting the County board on their support and assistance at what I'm sure was a difficult enough time. Good enough for me, and most people I'd have thought.

Using what was a tribute to a former GAA legend to have a(nother) pop at a hard working and talented current inter county player was ill considered. To paraphrase the words of your friend the Hogan Stand Moderator, that's my final, yes, final word on the matter.

All square at half time, 1-6 each. Ray Galligan Goal, midfield struggling
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Lawrence of Knockbride

Well I was at the game and it's not good lads. Roscommon were that bad and we seem about the same level as we were last year. In the second half it was embaressing and the final deficit of 8 or 9 points didn't flatter Antrim one bit. Their running on and off the ball was very good and streets ahead of ours. There composure on the ball and use of it was similarly impressive.
On our side we relied on frees from Nesty and Galligan who each missed one I think. We got a fortuitous goal to paper over the cracks in the first half.
I'm not going to knock any players but Carr has decided that his bewildering attempts to turn a non-full back into a full-back is the way to go again this year. The similarities between Podge Reilly and Mossy Corr is obvious. Corr got nowhere near his man as I would expect. It didn't stand out last week because Roscommon didn't deliver enough ball. McCutcheon got destroyed at CB I'm afraid and I'm and admirer of his. Walsh was bad even for Walsh and was withdrawn with a limp that seemed to come on as he left. Incase King of September is reading I said "seemed". Galligan at full-forward looks sluggish and lazy in general play and was easily pushed off the ball. I wondered about this after the Roscommon game and was backed by a Lacken man I spoke to during the week. Anyway on the positve side we've hopefully played the best team in the division,albeit wihtout the St.Galls lads and we stil have quite good attacking players if we can get them on the ball going the right direction. When it's coming back at us we're in trouble.
One more point. The ref was woeful and tried to give us everything in the final 15 minutes out of sympathy.

BallyhaiseMan

Everything Lawrence posted is correct,It is BAD lads,we were as bad tonight as Roscommon were last Sunday!!!
Antrim were in a different class to us.
Myles,not even going to bother with ratings,it was that pathetic

Demot Sheridan got taken to the cleaners by Paddy Cunningham,
Mossy Corr,was behind his man too much,but to be fair he got a hand in most of the time,
A mix up with Eoin McGuigan caused the first goal though.
Martin Cahill was dragged out as Antrim played a two man full forward line. He was as usual one of our better performers.

Mark McKeever,Got roasted for speed numerous times.kicked a great score in the first half.
John McCutcheon,not his best day at the office,got taken on a trip of Breffini.
Alan Clarke,wasnt good,like the other two in the half back line.

Nicholas Walsh,didnt make one positive contribution in the game,
Eoin McGuigan,tried hard and is a good ball carrier but is not an IC Midfielder.

David Givney,why does he try to catch every ball??? it got on my nerves tonight,good midfielders know when they have to punch and when the catch is on,wasnt good at all tonight.
Gareth Smith,Probably our best player,lovely passer of the ball,missed a few frees and gave the ball away a few times,but one of the few that for me can come out with some credit.
Martin Reily,hes just not strong enough for IC Level,got pushed around like a rag doll at times,replaced by Flangan after 25 minutes.

Cian Mackey,scored a beautiful point from play in the first half,and tried to get on the ball,but was starved of good posession due to our midfield impotence and lack of any game plan.
Raymond Galligan,Good from frees,and won a few frees, hes not a quick player  and he may look sluggish,but thats the trade off sometimes,size for speed,Needs to be stronger though as he was knocked over a bit too easy at times.
Michael Lyng, Starved in the corner,one beautiful pass to set up McKeever's point,but was a spectator for most of it,

Subs
Michael Brennan
Ciaran Galligan
Ronan Flanagan
Eddie Reily(late on).

Why is it that teams can seemingly run straight through us,at speed in lines of 2/3,but you never see us with such support play???
You could see the outline of a game plan in the first half,get the ball to nesty and let him hit the full forward line with good ball in,but it all went out the window in the second half.
Antrim in terms of support play,,forward movement and very evidently physique and fitness were on a different planet to us tonight. Revenge for last year? i hope we dont meet their full strength unit this year or they would beat us out the gate.

put-it-up

I did warn you boy's that Roscommon were that bad...

Couldn't make it tonight but had a pretty strong feeling we would be beaten I am afraid. I honestly think our midfield is the worst at IC level in the country..Shocking...

Babe Ruth 47

Admitidly lads this was my first Cavan match of the year, but that was an absolute disgrace. Personally I'd consider that forward six performance as the worst I've ever seen, especially in the second half. Nowhere did any of them show any desire to win ball. Numerous times when Cavan were attacking from the half back line, the inside line seemed there was no need to show, instead hanging in behind their men looking for the soft options. The Gaels have their obvious flaws when it comes to Ulster football, but look at how their forward 6 work as a unit, sweeping forward with the support of the half back line, it's something Cavan could really learn from.

Lord above, I know Eddie has his critics, but at least he tries, give me that instead of what I witnessed tonight any day.

Galligan did alright, won a few frees, done well from placed ball but he's no inter county footballer. Walsh was a disaster, yet again, offered absolutely nothing. McGuigan seemed to try hard, but lacks the class of an inter county midfielder. Really ran out of steam afer 50 mins. Always have been a big fan of Givney's but was poor tonight. Really needs to learn how to read kick outs, so that he is attaking the ball. Numerous times tonight he got caught under the ball, jumping vertically, where he had no chance. Look at Dara O'Se, Ncholas Murphy etc, how they carry momentum through fielding the ball. Hopefully its something he will learn over time.

Mossy Corr is out of his depth at full back. Corr is a footballer I really admire, he is definately at his best in the middle of the field, would love to see him given a go there for Cavan. Undoutedly he is at a dissadvantage height wise, but he is a powerful athlete driving at the opposition.  As a previous poster stated, I too was dissapointed in McCutcheon tonight, but what I've seem from him over the last year or so, has been quite good.

On the bright side, it could be worse, you could be a Roscommon fan!

mylestheslasher

The league can be a funny thing alright and its hard to know who is  doing the hard training and who is not. I did suggested that I felt Cavan would struggle against a team like Antrim that are organised, play a running game and support each other but I didn't think we'd only score once in the 2nd half! Likewise I didn't think we'd trounce Roscommon. All I hope for is that we can avoid relegation so some of these new players get a chance to improve at a decent level. What I fear is that in past years we have tried new players but we always had the older lads in the wings to come in and bail us out but that is not the case anymore. The U21's and minors is where I desperately want to see something happening and seniors would just be a bonus if we got anything from it. I have my suspicions that we will fall short at senior level this year and I have my suspicions that Tommy Carr, the man I hoped would get the job, is not a good manager at all.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Good analysis BH Man. My hands and brain were too cold to type and think that much. We do get run through extremely easy. On Eoin McGuigan, it may be that he just tired because of all the lost causes he had to chase. Walsh really is the most bewildering of selections. I'd have Mulvey in there instead and that's saying something. Two weeks hard training now before the trip to Drogheda. Have theU-21s any games that TC could watch?