Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

put-it-up

Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 12, 2010, 10:22:26 AM
I can understand what Myles is objecting to, it does get wearying hearing the same player giving his lofty opinions on all things especially when we know he's not always on the moral high ground or exactly a team player on occasions. But in his defence, I'd agree with what the substance of what he said, it offers a bit of leadership and and it's no harm for a reality check. And in fairness to him, he's the only Cavan player with any sort of profile and therefore the only Cavan player a journalist would be bothered ringing.

Exactly.

Myles come down from your little pedestal please?? We all know it's worthwile keeping the media on your side and giving them a quote or two when they come calling. Fair enough if it is a personal question or a question regarding a team-mate but to say no comment to the questions that were asked would just be narrow-minded and immature.

I for one don't particularly enjoy reading Johnston's opinions, but if people are ringing him and looking for them I wouldn't criticise him for saying what he said. At the end of the day, he likes being in the paper and if kept his mouth shut Cavan's national media coverage would be cut in half because the only other figure of interest nationally is Carr.

And anyway he only said what we all aready know (bar the kids on Hoganstand who think we will win Ulster because we bet Roscommon ;D)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on February 12, 2010, 12:09:02 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on February 12, 2010, 10:22:26 AM
I can understand what Myles is objecting to, it does get wearying hearing the same player giving his lofty opinions on all things especially when we know he's not always on the moral high ground or exactly a team player on occasions. But in his defence, I'd agree with what the substance of what he said, it offers a bit of leadership and and it's no harm for a reality check. And in fairness to him, he's the only Cavan player with any sort of profile and therefore the only Cavan player a journalist would be bothered ringing.

Exactly.

Myles come down from your little pedestal please?? We all know it's worthwile keeping the media on your side and giving them a quote or two when they come calling. Fair enough if it is a personal question or a question regarding a team-mate but to say no comment to the questions that were asked would just be narrow-minded and immature.

I for one don't particularly enjoy reading Johnston's opinions, but if people are ringing him and looking for them I wouldn't criticise him for saying what he said. At the end of the day, he likes being in the paper and if kept his mouth shut Cavan's national media coverage would be cut in half because the only other figure of interest nationally is Carr.

And anyway he only said what we all aready know (bar the kids on Hoganstand who think we will win Ulster because we bet Roscommon ;D)

I don't disagree with what he said at all. But why is he saying it? Where are all these fans that are going around with false high hopes. Its not the 1st time Seanie has decided to lecture the Cavan support and I think he'd be better focusing on football and less talking cos he has the ability to be one of the best forwards in Ireland but he is not nearly there yet. Personally, I'd rather get lectured to by Eddie Reilly, he may not be as skilled as Seanie but at least I know that he busts his hole and does his best when playing for Cavan and I respect him for that cos thats all you can ask of anyone.

BigMac

Myles, i agree with you that there isnt really any fans of Cavan football expecting us to win Ulster, so when ya hear Seanies comments they dont seem to make sense. I would like to know who the journalist is that questioned him and I dont mean to patronising at all but if you have ever been interviewed or read the whole quotes from interviews it can be very easy to manipulate someone to say what you want to hear. If the interviewer suggested to Seanie that there was people in Cavan expecting them to win Ulster then its easy for him to walk into the trap and say "people who expect us to win ulster are bla bla bla....."
On another note some very interesting draws in the championships. Again i think the intermediate is the closest and could be won by any of maybe 5 teams. Senior looks to be the gaels for the taking again.
Anyone hear the team for Antrim game?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: BigMac on February 12, 2010, 03:49:35 PM
Myles, i agree with you that there isnt really any fans of Cavan football expecting us to win Ulster, so when ya hear Seanies comments they dont seem to make sense. I would like to know who the journalist is that questioned him and I dont mean to patronising at all but if you have ever been interviewed or read the whole quotes from interviews it can be very easy to manipulate someone to say what you want to hear. If the interviewer suggested to Seanie that there was people in Cavan expecting them to win Ulster then its easy for him to walk into the trap and say "people who expect us to win ulster are bla bla bla....."
On another note some very interesting draws in the championships. Again i think the intermediate is the closest and could be won by any of maybe 5 teams. Senior looks to be the gaels for the taking again.
Anyone hear the team for Antrim game?

Granted it is possible the quote was taken out of context.

Celt_Man

Without kicking a dead dog, he is a high profile player for one of the favourites for the Sigerson Cup who was ruled out of the competition and the National League with a recently broken elbow so a journalist asking him for a few words wouldn't be the strangest thing in the world. 

And then with a huge winning margin in the first game of Cavan's league campaign just a few days earlier, it isn't a huge stretch that he would be asked about it either and then the fan's thinking would be closely related.   

Simple really
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

anglocelt39

Something about Seanie seems to get on Myles' goat, think it's something to do with him stretching his hammers during the national anthem at a match last year or some such.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 12, 2010, 05:57:04 PM
Something about Seanie seems to get on Myles' goat, think it's something to do with him stretching his hammers during the national anthem at a match last year or some such.

No AC, its no one thing. Its a stream of little things adding up. We have a world champion handball player on the team and I don't hear him blathering in the media every few months. When Seanie scarpered to the US couple of seasons back he arrogantly talked to the media how it was the managers job to pick the best players - i.e. I have to be let back in cos I'm the best. His lack of respect for a minutes silence as well as the national anthem against Louth last year another and finally his attitude on the pitch stinks at times. He has great ability we all know but so do a lot of players and if you want to get to the level of Canavan or Gooch you need to walk the walk as well as talk the talk. I'll say no more about it.

boojangles

Celt_Man

Quote from: boojangles on February 12, 2010, 10:28:00 PM
Same team for 2mrw.

Aye would have expected that alright.  All the lads deserved it after the performance last week
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

anglocelt39

Myles, on a scale of most to least objectionable, where would you rate Seanie among the following:

Stephen King, Donal Keogan, Tommy Carr, Members of the Cavan County Board who were in office around the time of Mick Higgins' death, your Average Hogan Stand Poster and last, but by no means least, the Mods on Hogan Stand. Arrah feckit throw in Martin Cahill and our World Champion handballer just by way of completing the old Chicago 3 bit.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

Quote from: anglocelt39 on February 13, 2010, 12:40:02 AM
Myles, on a scale of most to least objectionable, where would you rate Seanie among the following:

Stephen King, Donal Keogan, Tommy Carr, Members of the Cavan County Board who were in office around the time of Mick Higgins' death, your Average Hogan Stand Poster and last, but by no means least, the Mods on Hogan Stand. Arrah feckit throw in Martin Cahill and our World Champion handballer just by way of completing the old Chicago 3 bit.

Is there a point to this question? Why don't we add in "Drung" and the other posters that have had a go at you in the past and then maybe you can rate them?

Denn Forever

Won't make it tonight so could someone post a report of the match?

Cliff notes acceptable.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

For the second time, what are Cliff notes?

mylestheslasher

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CliffsNotes

and i still don't know what they are.

How about BHM just does his usual 1-15 ratings and comments, thanks in advance.