Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: KingOfSeptember on February 09, 2010, 05:59:06 PM
QuoteCall me a bollix for saying so but we have 2 men from Junior clubs in the top positions in Senior and Youth football in Cavan and some of the decisions made are only aimed at helping Junior clubs,and not the overall standard of football in Cavan.

Your attitude is crazy! They were democratically elected, both by overwhelming majorities (esp the minor), and THEY don't make any decisions. Chairmen have only one vote, same as any committee member.
The delegates who allegedly allowed themselves to be bullied at the minor board meeting are weak, plain and simple. Explain who a chairman 'couldn't entertain it'? Was it on the agenda? If not, the chairman was right.
These are the rules of our association lads, crazy as they sound. They have, generally, served us well for 100 years.
I very, very rarely post here but I check it a lot for a laugh mainly. Everyone here seems to be a loyal supporter and all seem like good fellas, but the amount of half-truths, bogus statements, ignorance of rules and procedure and downright lies that are posted here is incredible.
Case in point was a few days ago when the county management were criticised over dropping several players who hadn't got a run. Totally inaccurate.
Anyway, rant over as Mr Pain used to say, what's the verdict on last Sunday? Two points a help to stay up or go up?  Saturday evening will reveal an awful lot. A win there and I'll accept we're making progress. Anything less will put the Roscommon match in perspective.

Your attitude is Naive.Tell me what was inaccurate in what I posted? You don't even know anything about the Minor Board meeting I'm referring to. The Chairman brought in a rule that no club could be represented twice on the Youth Board. He didn't propose it and it wasn't seconded. That is a fact.No innaccuracies in what I'm saying. Does that sound like democracy?
The chairman didn't even know if it was on the agenda such was the shambolic nature of the meeting. The Youth Board Chairman may turn out to be very effective but just because he won the seat by an overwhelming majority doesn't mean anything. Remember he replaced a man who wouldn't have been very popular.
You mention these rules have served us well for over 100 years. Yes they really have served Cavan football well.Wasn't it great to see the amount of cups on the table at the County Convention??
Some club delegates can't even think for themselves when it comes to certain matters.Go with the flow or vote for him as he is voting for our club man. Far too much politics involved instead of thinking about whats good for Cavan football.
75% of clubs in Cavan would have voted for Ian Paisley ahead of a Cavan Gaels man (Mark Gillic) if he was going for the Chairmans job, regardless of his credentials.

KingOfSeptember

QuoteYour attitude is Naive.Tell me what was inaccurate in what I posted? You don't even know anything about the Minor Board meeting I'm referring to. The Chairman brought in a rule that no club could be represented twice on the Youth Board. He didn't propose it and it wasn't seconded. That is a fact.No innaccuracies in what I'm saying. Does that sound like democracy?
The chairman didn't even know if it was on the agenda such was the shambolic nature of the meeting. The Youth Board Chairman may turn out to be very effective but just because he won the seat by an overwhelming majority doesn't mean anything. Remember he replaced a man who wouldn't have been very popular.

I am not naieve - I see the big picture. I didn't directly accuse you of being innacurate, although you were a few weeks back when you made up your own rule about deducting points!
Re the minor board meeting, if that's the case, the chairman broke the rules. And if that is the case, then the rest of those present - ie the secretary, delegates, other committee members - have committed a worse crime by being either too weak to stand up against it or too ignorant of the rules. Were you there?

QuoteYou mention these rules have served us well for over 100 years. Yes they really have served Cavan football well.Wasn't it great to see the amount of cups on the table at the County Convention??
Yes, the rules have served us well. I'm astounded by this comment! There is more to the running of the largest amateur sporting body on the planet than what cups a county wins in a given year.
By the way, seeing as you are using the 100-year timeframe I referred to, even through the narrow prism in which you view the relative success of the association, which apparently is the cups Cavan win, the 'rules' have served us very, very well. This county has more than it's fair share of titles.

My original point was that your comment about decisions catering to junior clubs because the chairmen are from junior clubs was unfair. Anyone familiar with the role chairmen play in our association would find your comment laughable in fact.

I'll spell it out. Boards make decisions, not chairmen. If a chairman goes on a solo run as you say, it's the board's fault for allowing it.

PS: If a meeting is of a 'shambolic nature', that's the fault of the secretary. He takes the agenda, the minutes and more or less ensures the proper running of the meeting in accordance with rule. The chairman chairs the meeting, which is a different thing.
I actually think you don't know these basics and are throwing out wild accusations willy nilly.

boojangles

Quote from: KingOfSeptember on February 09, 2010, 07:36:05 PM
QuoteYour attitude is Naive.Tell me what was inaccurate in what I posted? You don't even know anything about the Minor Board meeting I'm referring to. The Chairman brought in a rule that no club could be represented twice on the Youth Board. He didn't propose it and it wasn't seconded. That is a fact.No innaccuracies in what I'm saying. Does that sound like democracy?

I am not naieve - I see the big picture. I didn't directly accuse you of being innacurate, although you were a few weeks back when you made up your own rule about deducting points!
Re the minor board meeting, if that's the case, the chairman broke the rules. And if that is the case, then the rest of those present - ie the secretary, delegates, other committee members - have committed a worse crime by being either too weak to stand up against it or too ignorant of the rules. Were you there?
I know what happened.The Chairman was put back over his mistake and he couldn't even clarify the position. Its not up to delegates to make sure a meeting is conducted properly.I don't care who broke the rules as long as important issues are given the proper time and discussion. What you are focusing on is getting away from my point. My main gripe is with a perfectly good proposal (that IMO would improve Minor football) being put to the table and it wasn't even discussed properly. It was brushed over.
You mention these rules have served us well for over 100 years. Yes they really have served Cavan football well.Wasn't it great to see the amount of cups on the table at the County Convention??
Yes, the rules have served us well. I'm astounded by this comment! There is more to the running of the largest amateur sporting body on the planet than what cups a county wins in a given year.
By the way, seeing as you are using the 100-year timeframe I referred to, even through the narrow prism in which you view the relative success of the association, which apparently is the cups Cavan win, the 'rules' have served us very, very well. This county has more than it's fair share of titles.
[/quote]
Your astounded? less of the dramatics. I'm a Cavan man and I view the success of the association within Cavan as being my only focus. Call it a narrow prism or whatever you want but I'm not going to shed any tears if the GAA is struggling in Monaghan or any other county. The end result is success and we have not had any success in Cavan for far too long. These fair share of titles you speak of are in a different life time. I was alive for Cavan winning 3 Ulster titles at any level. If you call that a fair share then its no wonder we find ourselves in the position we'r in.
We are lagging behind nearly every county in Ulster in everything.Facilities,Success,Membership,Qualified coaches,Clubs standards. I'm seeing small signs of improvement but this county has a long,long way to go before we can get back to where we belong.
My original point was that your comment about decisions catering to junior clubs because the chairmen are from junior clubs was unfair. Anyone familiar with the role chairmen play in our association would find your comment laughable in fact.

I'll spell it out. Boards make decisions, not chairmen. If a chairman goes on a solo run as you say, it's the board's fault for allowing it.

PS: If a meeting is of a 'shambolic nature', that's the fault of the secretary. He takes the agenda, the minutes and more or less ensures the proper running of the meeting in accordance with rule. The chairman chairs the meeting, which is a different thing.
I actually think you don't know these basics and are throwing out wild accusations willy nilly.

You don't have to spell anything out I'm well aware how a meeting is conducted thank you.I have served on my own club committee and I'm well aware of a chairmans role within the GAA. I'm also well aware of how a Board works. A Chairman may have only One vote but that vote is very important.Tommy Carr knows all about how important the Chairmans vote is.So don't kid yourself that he is only one voice.he is the most important man in the County Board and carries alot more influence than any other officer.
If you want to take time to read through my previous 1100 or so posts you will see that I rarely talk shite.I may occassionally get things wrong and Il be the first to admit if thats the case. I take my football very serious so don't insult my intelligence and accuse me of throwing out accusations wily nily or not being aware of these basics. Your the one making assumptions about a meeting that you know nothing about.
I stand by my original comment about the 2 Junior Chairmen.

Celt_Man

QuoteCall me a bollix for saying so but we have 2 men from Junior clubs in the top positions in Senior and Youth football in Cavan and some of the decisions made are only aimed at helping Junior clubs,and not the overall standard of football in Cavan.

Your attitude is crazy! They were democratically elected, both by overwhelming majorities (esp the minor), and THEY don't make any decisions. Chairmen have only one vote, same as any committee member.
The delegates who allegedly allowed themselves to be bullied at the minor board meeting are weak, plain and simple. Explain who a chairman 'couldn't entertain it'? Was it on the agenda? If not, the chairman was right.
These are the rules of our association lads, crazy as they sound. They have, generally, served us well for 100 years.
I very, very rarely post here but I check it a lot for a laugh mainly. Everyone here seems to be a loyal supporter and all seem like good fellas, but the amount of half-truths, bogus statements, ignorance of rules and procedure and downright lies that are posted here is incredible.
Case in point was a few days ago when the county management were criticised over dropping several players who hadn't got a run. Totally inaccurate.
Anyway, rant over as Mr Pain used to say, what's the verdict on last Sunday? Two points a help to stay up or go up?  Saturday evening will reveal an awful lot. A win there and I'll accept we're making progress. Anything less will put the Roscommon match in perspective.

Not getting involved but look who the Minor Chairman was going up against and that will say a lot about the majority...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

Time to move on - Johnston

11 February 2010

Cavan attacker Seanie Johnston says Breffni County supporters need to move on.

The Blues' glorious past has for decades proved a millstone around the neck of successive Cavan teams and Cavan Gaels clubman Johnston - currently sidelined through injury - believes it's time to forget the past and judge the current team on its own merits:

"Cavan are not Kerry. Cavan have not won an All-Ireland since 1952.

"Cavan have not won an Ulster championship since 1997 and haven't looked like winning one in any of the years since.

"We were beaten by two Division Four teams in the championship last year.

"Winning Ulster championships and winning All-Irelands I don't think are going to be the main goals for us.

"It's about building a team and there is a lot of youth and new guys in the panel and they are coming in with no inhibitions and I am sure they don't fear anyone.

"We just want to get a team of those sort of boys together so that they can compete at Ulster championship level and then hopefully you will see the improvements over the next year or two.

"They all need to realise that they can't live in the past and that we are a long way down the pecking order."

Hard to argue with anything he says there

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 11, 2010, 02:31:30 PM

11 February 2010

The Blues' glorious past has for decades proved a millstone around the neck of successive Cavan teams and Cavan Gaels clubman Johnston - currently sidelined through injury - believes it's time to forget the past and judge the current team on its own merits:

"Cavan have not won an Ulster championship since 1997 and haven't looked like winning one in any of the years since.

"Winning Ulster championships and winning All-Irelands I don't think are going to be the main goals for us.

"It's about building a team and there is a lot of youth and new guys in the panel and they are coming in with no inhibitions and I am sure they don't fear anyone.

"We just want to get a team of those sort of boys together so that they can compete at Ulster championship level and then hopefully you will see the improvements over the next year or two.

"They all need to realise that they can't live in the past and that we are a long way down the pecking order."

On the contrary Celt man, I for one am getting sick of listening or reading Seanies little press releases. Where did this latest load of shite come from. Who said we were going to win Sam or even Ulster. I have never seen Cavan support so depressed. All anyone wants is for our lads to do their best and play to their potential, not to stand with their hands on their hips moaning as their man runs up the field. We want our team to play like a team and not 15 individuals. Time for Seanie to start concentrating on football and curtail his press releases until he has something worthwhile to say.

Celt_Man

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 11, 2010, 05:13:19 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 11, 2010, 02:31:30 PM

11 February 2010

On the contrary Celt man, I for one am getting sick of listening or reading Seanies little press releases. Where did this latest load of shite come from. Who said we were going to win Sam or even Ulster. I have never seen Cavan support so depressed. All anyone wants is for our lads to do their best and play to their potential, not to stand with their hands on their hips moaning as their man runs up the field. We want our team to play like a team and not 15 individuals. Time for Seanie to start concentrating on football and curtail his press releases until he has something worthwhile to say.

he is out for a couple of months with a broken elbow and I doubt he is issuing these press releases.  More than likely he was asked a question and gave an answer which was turned into an interview.  No big deal as far as I'm concerned

Denn Forever

Its from Hoganstand.

Lets acknowledge our sources.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

I understand what Myles is saying,we dont need press releases to tell us all this,
I dont know any Cavan supporter who nowadays expects us to win All Irelands and Ulsters each year,sure few of us are even expecting promotion from Division 3!!!!
Seanie said nothing wrong in that interview,but as Celt Man said,he probably only answered maybe 2 or 3 questions and they developed a whole interview from that.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 11, 2010, 06:08:41 PM
Its from Hoganstand.

Lets acknowledge our sources.

Think it's a re-jigged version of an interview in today's Indo

Lawrence of Knockbride

::)
Anyone got any bogus or half-true news on the team for the weekend that you could share with an interested ignoramousl, just for the laugh like?

put-it-up

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on February 11, 2010, 08:23:49 PM

Anyone got any bogus or half-true news on the team for the weekend that you could share with an interested ignoramousl, just for the laugh like?

Yeah, I heard Jelly is in at corner-forward with one arm and big Derm is starting midfield ;D

Id say Ronan Flanagan will come in for someone but other than that I imagine it will be much the same. Big game for them at the weekend, they badly need to get solid back to back wins together instead of constant high's and lows.

And I wouldn't criticise Jelly for saying that stuff. Yeah, he can come across arrogant at times and his attitude on the field can drive you mad but if someone rings your phone and asks a few questions all you can do is answer them honestly...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: put-it-up on February 11, 2010, 10:28:50 PM
Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on February 11, 2010, 08:23:49 PM

Yeah, I heard Jelly is in at corner-forward with one arm and big Derm is starting midfield ;D

Id say Ronan Flanagan will come in for someone but other than that I imagine it will be much the same. Big game for them at the weekend, they badly need to get solid back to back wins together instead of constant high's and lows.

And I wouldn't criticise Jelly for saying that stuff. Yeah, he can come across arrogant at times and his attitude on the field can drive you mad but if someone rings your phone and asks a few questions all you can do is answer them honestly...

..Or say no comment :)

BallyhaiseMan

i didnt read kingofseptembers rant.
cliff notes anyone?

cavanmaniac

I can understand what Myles is objecting to, it does get wearying hearing the same player giving his lofty opinions on all things especially when we know he's not always on the moral high ground or exactly a team player on occasions. But in his defence, I'd agree with what the substance of what he said, it offers a bit of leadership and and it's no harm for a reality check. And in fairness to him, he's the only Cavan player with any sort of profile and therefore the only Cavan player a journalist would be bothered ringing.